PDA

View Full Version : U17's qualify for the European Championships!

Pages : [1] 2

smithy
13/03/2008, 6:23 PM
I wonder why no-one is reporting about that...

Ireland is right now playing against Germany at Terryland Park. The other opponents in the group are Portugal and Greece.

Right now, it's Ireland 0-1 Germany, 23 minutes played.

IRELAND U-17 SQUAD – UEFA ELITE PHASE QUALIFIERS
Ger Hanley (Salthill Devon)
Harry Lee (Charlton Athletic)
Gavin Holohan (Cherry Orchard)
Paudric Ormsby (Crumlin United)
Johnny Dunleavy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Mark Connolly (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Kallum Keane (Derby County)
Gavin Gunning (Blackburn Rovers)
Shaun Timmins (Birmingham City)
Aaron Doran (Blackburn Rovers)
Conor Clifford (Chelsea)
Conor Hourihane (Sunderland)
John Sullivan (Crumlin United)
Gearoid Morrissey (Ringmahon Rangers)
Greg Cunningham (Manchester City)
Paul Murphy (Ipswich Town)
Darragh Satelle (Crumlin United)
Robert Brady (Manchester United)

eirebhoy
13/03/2008, 7:17 PM
The Republic of Ireland Under-17 team conceded a goal after eight minutes to Germany in their opening UEFA Elite qualifying tie this evening at Terryland Park in Galway.

Marcos Alvarez set up the chance with an enterprising run down past Mark Connolly. He picked out Felix Kroos in the middle and the shot by Germany’s top scorer took a deflection off Gavin Gunning to leave goalkeeper Ger Hanley wrong-footed.

Paul Murphy came closest to providing an equaliser for the Irish with a low shot from 20 yards that whistled wide.

IRELAND: Hanley (Salthill Devon), Dunleavy (Wolves), Timmons (Birmingham), Gunning (Blackburn), Connolly (Wolves), Morrissey (Ringmahon), Doran (Blackburn), Clifford (Chelsea), Satelle (Crumlin), Murphy (Ipswich), Cunningham (Manchester City).
Substitutes: Robert Brady (Manchester United) for Satelle (35 mins)

GERMANY: Bussman, Becker, Alvarez, Hornschuh, Basturk, Kroos, Hartmann, Gulde, Cincotta (Fardi 31), Herman, Stiepermann.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2980

eirebhoy
13/03/2008, 7:23 PM
1-1 now smithy. 20 minutes left. Germany got a player sent off just after half time I think.

http://www.livescores.net/LiveScore.do

Where in the name of jaysus does the above site get their updates?

ifk101
13/03/2008, 7:32 PM
Draw between Greece and Portugal earlier today so hopefully we can push for the win as this would set us up nicely for the remaining games.

eirebhoy
13/03/2008, 7:42 PM
Full time. 1-1.

Sean McCaffrey’s Irish side produced a valiant second half comeback to snatch a draw against Germany at Terryland Park in their opening UEFA Elite stage qualifying tie.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2980

geysir
13/03/2008, 7:53 PM
Good name for a goalkeeper, Bussman.

attendance 1,800 - a decent crowd.

Razors left peg
13/03/2008, 8:22 PM
was at the game, interesting formation.... 4-2-3-1 like many people think the seniors are gonna play under Trapattoni. Good performance, some excellent prospects out there

eirebhoy
13/03/2008, 8:28 PM
I love seeing the underage teams move away from the 4-4-2 and gain a bit more tactical knowledge at a young age.

finnpark
13/03/2008, 9:03 PM
I wonder why no-one is reporting about that...

Ireland is right now playing against Germany at Terryland Park. The other opponents in the group are Portugal and Greece.

Right now, it's Ireland 0-1 Germany, 23 minutes played.

IRELAND U-17 SQUAD – UEFA ELITE PHASE QUALIFIERS
Ger Hanley (Salthill Devon)
Harry Lee (Charlton Athletic)
Gavin Holohan (Cherry Orchard)
Paudric Ormsby (Crumlin United)
Johnny Dunleavy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Mark Connolly (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Kallum Keane (Derby County)
Gavin Gunning (Blackburn Rovers)
Shaun Timmins (Birmingham City)
Aaron Doran (Blackburn Rovers)
Conor Clifford (Chelsea)
Conor Hourihane (Sunderland)
John Sullivan (Crumlin United)
Gearoid Morrissey (Ringmahon Rangers)
Greg Cunningham (Manchester City)
Paul Murphy (Ipswich Town)
Darragh Satelle (Crumlin United)
Robert Brady (Manchester United)

Whats the story with so many Crumlin United players in it?

MyTown
14/03/2008, 11:55 AM
Thought it was a very enjoyable game - (some of the local wags felt it was of a much higher standard than we're used to..:D)

Some great players for us, but I was late for the team announcements so I can't say who you need to watch out for. Our goalscorer was one of the two locals involved so that created a good buzz around the ground.

The German lad who was sent off was very aggressive all through, but I felt the ref was over fussy and the second yellow was harsh. The German bench spent the rest of the game trying to incite the ref to send one of our lads packing, but as it wore on , we really used the extra man to good effect and had chances to win. Without the sending off, in all honesty, I wouldn't have seen us getting back into it.

We've got Portugal on Tuesday night next & I'll definitely try to be there based on what I saw last night.

galwayhoop
14/03/2008, 11:59 AM
is it the top team or top two teams who qualify from this group to the finals

smithy
14/03/2008, 12:12 PM
is it the top team or top two teams who qualify from this group to the finals

top team only.

Razors left peg
14/03/2008, 12:18 PM
Some of the players that stood out for me were Connor Clifford from Chelsea, Paul Murphy from Ipswich, Mark Connolly from Wolves and Greg Cunningham from Man City took his goal brilliantly. Think that was all their proper names anyway, was trying to match their faces to the pics in the program. Clifford worked unbelievable hard and looks very composed on the ball, can see why hes captain and is so highly rated

kennedmc
14/03/2008, 1:42 PM
Cheers - what kind of midfielder is clifford? Holding, box to box, attacking?

Razors left peg
14/03/2008, 2:03 PM
Cheers - what kind of midfielder is clifford? Holding, box to box, attacking?

he played as one of the 2 holding midfielders. But I would put him down as box to box player. Very strong in the tackle and can spray a pass too. Very tidy player. He ran himself into the ground so much that he had to go off in the end with cramp in both legs

kennedmc
14/03/2008, 3:01 PM
he played as one of the 2 holding midfielders. But I would put him down as box to box player. Very strong in the tackle and can spray a pass too. Very tidy player. He ran himself into the ground so much that he had to go off in the end with cramp in both legs

Sounds goods......
I know there is a lot of ifs and buts but if Clifford and McCarthy both live up to their hype we could have a hell of a CM partnership in 6 years time

gola11
14/03/2008, 6:50 PM
Aaron Doran also looks a quality player and is already a regular in B'burn reserves. Clifford protected back 4 very well and was very sharp in the tackle and tidy and the ball. Overall the team passed the ball far better then the Germans. Connolly and Gavin Gunning at the back also looked good and Cunningham played the lone striker role very well. Well done to managment too in going 3 at the back straigh after German sending off. Should have won!

gufct
18/03/2008, 7:26 PM
10mins to go.

eirebhoy
18/03/2008, 7:37 PM
Germany are 2-0 up as well with Greece down to 9 men. If it stays like this we all finish on 4 points. Goal difference as follows:

Ireland +1
Portugal 0
Germany 0
Greece -1

Germany will surely know they have to go for another goal. If they get it we're split with them on goal difference and goals scored. What happens then?

I think I got that right anyway. Just a 2 minute check.

geysir
18/03/2008, 7:44 PM
Ft in the german game 2-0

geysir
18/03/2008, 7:45 PM
We have done it, at long last.

gspain
18/03/2008, 7:46 PM
we're through according to www.fai.ie.

great stuff. can't believe it. thought we'd blown it in Athlone.

eirebhoy
18/03/2008, 7:47 PM
That's it. We've finally qualified!

Razors left peg
18/03/2008, 7:51 PM
Was at the game last thursday and was lookin forward to tonights game and at last minute couldnt go up, feck!!!
Fantastic result though, delighted

jmurphyc
18/03/2008, 8:06 PM
At least we're at some tournament in the summer. I quite fancy a trip to Turkey now. ;)

NeilMcD
18/03/2008, 8:21 PM
Delighted for them. Hopefully RTE will give it good coverage during the summer. With Portugal and Germany and Greece in the group its some job to qualify.

shakermaker1982
18/03/2008, 8:39 PM
Congratulations to the team and management. Fantastic achievement.

tricky_colour
18/03/2008, 8:49 PM
Yes, well done to everyone involved, nice to hear some good news about
Irish football for a change!!

SkStu
18/03/2008, 8:53 PM
great news and some real hope for the future in that team. Good stuff. Well done boys.

FarBeag
18/03/2008, 9:44 PM
Great result. Are there any young Damien Duff, Robbie Keane's coming through?

tetsujin1979
18/03/2008, 9:50 PM
Congratulations to the lads and management on qualifying

ken foree
18/03/2008, 9:54 PM
fantastic news, well done the boys in green :D

DmanDmythDledge
18/03/2008, 9:57 PM
Well done to the lads. Great achievement considering only one team gets through and having to play against strong opposition.

Did McCarthy and Scannell play in the earlier qualifying games? If so I'd say they will be selected.

tetsujin1979
18/03/2008, 10:14 PM
Did McCarthy and Scannell play in the earlier qualifying games? If so I'd say they will be selected.
According to the regulations - http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/384243.pdf -
Players are eligible to play in the 2007/08 UEFA European Under-17 Championships if they were born on or after 1 January 1991Scannell's birthday is 17 September 1990 and McCarthy's birthday is the 12 November 1990 so neither are eligible

Razors left peg
18/03/2008, 10:33 PM
Well done to the lads. Great achievement considering only one team gets through and having to play against strong opposition.

Both are in next under 19 panel

Donegalcelt
18/03/2008, 10:46 PM
Brilliant stuff, was talking to one of the lads playing there. He said McCafferty turned round and said to them with two minutes left, "Hold it out now lads and we're off to Turkey in May!" unreal

Torn-Ado
19/03/2008, 1:45 AM
Great news. Fair play to them. Do us proud lads.

Ash
19/03/2008, 7:22 AM
Couldn't get to the Ireland-Greece game but after seeing Germany-Greece
last night I dont know how they beat us.

Greece were quite poor and even before the had the 2 lads sent off
(Germans had 1 sent off) they were resorting to hoofing the ball.
Germans looked quite good. Very composed on the ball.

Great to get the result in Galway and qualify.

gola11
19/03/2008, 7:48 AM
Well done to all the lads! They played 4-5-1 again and never panicked. Both goals came from set pieces with 2 surperb deliveries. Once they went in front they defended the lead very well limiting Portugal to just one real chance. Greg Cunningham was very impressive upfront and caused all sorts of problems for back 4. Roll on Turkey!!

Kingdom
19/03/2008, 8:14 AM
Brilliant achievement to qualify from such an imopressive group.
The results that some of our underage teams have taken in the last decade have been outstanding.

gspain
19/03/2008, 8:24 AM
Couldn't get to the Ireland-Greece game but after seeing Germany-Greece
last night I dont know how they beat us.

Greece were quite poor and even before the had the 2 lads sent off
(Germans had 1 sent off) they were resorting to hoofing the ball.
Germans looked quite good. Very composed on the ball.

Great to get the result in Galway and qualify.

Ash it was classic smash and grab. We were camped in their half at 1-1 and got caught with a sucker punch. Their keeper was great.

BigmanCas
19/03/2008, 8:37 AM
over the moon!!!!!! well done lads.

Kingdom
19/03/2008, 8:47 AM
So thats Ukraine denmark Slovenia Germany Portugal and Greece accounted for. Thats some going.

MyTown
19/03/2008, 9:02 AM
Excellent performance overall. A few very mature lads given their ages. I thought Portugal were the real threat given their win over Germany, but we were always on top apart from a couple of scares in the first 10 minutes.

Two goals from set pieces once again suggests that other managers in other leagues are not paying enough attention to what you get if you put in the work on the set pieces. (The nearest we came to getting a goal in the first half was off a corner, when Greg Cunningham's headed came off the crossbar).The quality of free kicks and corners was very high.

Free tickets for the fans helped, but the crowd definitely gave the lads a lift all through & if you'll forgive the parochialism for a minute I'm very happy that the two Galway lads did well & that Ireland were unbeaten in Galway.

Amazing Group with each team having a W D L each...home advantage was definitely a factor in the end, as it always is.

But overall tremendous congratulations to the lads themselves & those who prepared them so well for this Elite Group. They got no more than they deserved for the work they put in.

Superhoops
19/03/2008, 9:31 AM
...But overall tremendous congratulations to the lads themselves & those who prepared them so well for this Elite Group. They got no more than they deserved for the work they put in.
The support set-up that is now behind the Irish underage teams up is something that the FAI does not get enough credit for.

lionelhutz
19/03/2008, 10:55 AM
Great stuff. Hopefully this tournament will be a spring board for some of the players to develop into top class internationals.

When does the tournament begin?

tetsujin1979
19/03/2008, 11:06 AM
When does the tournament begin?
From http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under17/finals/index.html

the final destination is Turkey and the Mediterranean port of Antalya from 4-16 May.

lionelhutz
19/03/2008, 12:25 PM
Cheers tets

TheBoss
19/03/2008, 1:14 PM
Great Achievement by the lads, I can not believe it happened, Ireland had to beat Portugal and Germany had to beat Greece by the same score for us to go through, incredible that it happened.

gufct
19/03/2008, 1:25 PM
Ger Hanley had a Brilliant Game between the sticks with one unbelievable double block near the end and Greg Cunningham is magic but my player of the tournament was Blackburn Rovers winger Aidan Doran an absolute class act the new Duffer.