PDA

View Full Version : Greg Out

joe
08/07/2003, 2:46 PM
Today's Echo confirms that Greg O'Halloran will be out for the next while as he is heading for a knee operation

pete
08/07/2003, 5:43 PM
Pity it couldn't have scheduled at the sytart of the Special Olympics break.

Squad is very thin of central midfielders now. Suppose we have Conor, Colin T, K Murray, Bennet, & George in that order?

Éanna
08/07/2003, 7:44 PM
Yeah its not ideal, but then losing your skipper is never ideal. Hopefully it doesn't take any longer than 6 weeks. Regardless of this, we need cover in midfield though.

Counting Crow
08/07/2003, 9:50 PM
I don't know if this is going to be as big an issue as some people think.

I thought Conor and Colin played really well together vs Longford.
Don't get me wrong now - I have the utmost respect for Greg ( he really wears his heart on his sleeve ) but the other two deserve their chance.

ramsie
08/07/2003, 11:41 PM
He looked sharp when ever i saw his this year that will be a blow for ye

tiktok
09/07/2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow

that may be the case, but greg has been great and the problem now is the lack of cover if one of those two picks up an injury or suspension. hopefully they'll keep doing as they have been.

Éanna
09/07/2003, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
yeah they did, and against bohs, but those teams are both struggling this season. I'm worried how they'll fare against the likes of shels to be honest. Greg or no Greg, we've needed another midfielder since ratnolds left anyway, this changes nothing in that respect

Seanie
11/07/2003, 1:23 PM
Just seen the echo which reports that Greg is out for over eight months with the dreaded cruciate ligament injury. Terrible blow.

Furthermore Doyle is out for a month.

J.O.F.A.S
11/07/2003, 1:52 PM
He is out for the season, thats all.......Thats definate

Troy.McClure
11/07/2003, 1:58 PM
Thats a massive blow! I think that Warren should be recalled from Limerick now and maybe Napier should be brought into Defence with Bennett added to the list of midfielders.

Terrible terrible news though, very sorry for the guy :(

Éanna
11/07/2003, 2:07 PM
Big blow for greg and for city. Apparently he's getting the op in the next fortnight.

Colm
11/07/2003, 2:12 PM
Unfortunately, Greg will indeed be out for the rest of the season.
This is a very big blow to our hopes for the season.
Best of luck with a speedy recovery Greg...

Also very worrying news about Doyler, he was really starting to come good of late.

We could do with these two players heading into big games against Waterford in the league and Shels in the cup.

NorthoftheLee
11/07/2003, 2:12 PM
Thats a huge blow..... i wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.....

pete
11/07/2003, 3:35 PM
Gregs a big loss alright but IMO Doyle could be a bigger one although glad to hear only for a month.

We've got virtually no attacking midfielders to replace Doyle whereas we at least have some cover for Greg.

liamon
11/07/2003, 3:41 PM
Anyone know what sort of injury has Doyle suffered?

He's been playing well lately and it's a pity this happened now. We'll certainly miss his attacking play. Time for Pat D to sign another midfielder.

joe
11/07/2003, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by liamon
Anyone know what sort of injury has Doyle suffered?

fractured scapula (shoulder blade)

patsh
11/07/2003, 8:26 PM
Gutted for Greg, but in the short term, Doyler is a bigger loss. We really could do with him for the cup game.

Éanna
11/07/2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by joe
fractured scapula (shoulder blade)
very painful. injured that meself 8 years ago and its still acting up

patsh
12/07/2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
very painful. injured that meself 8 years ago and its still acting up
Is that why you are such a cranky oul get ?:D

J.O.F.A.S
12/07/2003, 1:06 PM
On a happier note, happy 21st Flynny!

foureyes
12/07/2003, 4:30 PM
Big blow to lose two players. I always felt we've been fairly lucky with injuries over the past few seasons, since our squad has always been so small.

We're going to have to leave in players now regardless of how well they are doing. Who is going to play down the right?

If Pat wasn't committed to signing some new faces he surely will be now.

pete
12/07/2003, 4:36 PM
20 quality players is plenty big for an eL squad. 25 should be the maximum for any club.

Éanna
13/07/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by pete
20 quality players is plenty big for an eL squad. 25 should be the maximum for any club.
problem IMO is that not all our players are good enough for us to be winning things.

Éanna
13/07/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Is that why you are such a cranky oul get ?:D
one reason anyway :)

foureyes
13/07/2003, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
problem IMO is that not all our players are good enough for us to be winning things.

I agree with the second sentiment.

Also, we dont have cover for every position, particulary up front and on the wings. We havent had a right winger for years. Colin T was good before his injury but we've not had anyone come through in that position, hence Doyle switching (effectively) to the right.

I expect Carey will play down RW which is not the most appealing prospect. I would like to see Warren get a run as he looked promising the couple of times I saw him in action.

pete
14/07/2003, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by corkcityfan1
Dolan needs to sign this week and a one month contract to an Aussie isnt the answer!

Its called a trial.

Éanna
14/07/2003, 7:54 PM
Devine
Horgan
D.Murray
Beno
Woods
Grady
Colin T (wide right)
George (centre)
Warren
Flynn
Behan

is what I'd go with. as for signing the aussie guy, I guess its better to have him short term cos we have NO cover right now. If he's good enough, great, if not at least we have cover til something better comes along.

patsh
15/07/2003, 3:49 PM
It will be interesteing to see if Dave Warren comes back into the reckoning.
I presume he has been training as hard as everyone else?
Did he get a run last Sunday?

Trax
15/07/2003, 4:38 PM
He played for the the U21's the other day.