PDA

View Full Version : Big Squads

Sniffer
12/03/2008, 3:34 PM
Is this about to become a new problem for the big clubs - think Drogheda last week, did Doolin pick the wrong side? Kenny admitted to it after losing to Linfield.

lofty9
12/03/2008, 3:41 PM
Kenny's problem he has such a small squad. He was quoting a squad of 18. He said he gave 5 new starts on Monday as he was protecting his best 11.

Bunny Kelly
12/03/2008, 3:41 PM
isolated incidents, the reason for a big squad is for over the course of the season. Drogs were very bad with injuries at one stage last season but had the depth to cope. Pat's collapse coincided with O'Neil's injury as they were forced to play Glen Fitzpatrick while Rovers simply just tired at the end.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 3:45 PM
Think you're barking up the wrong tree there, Sniffer. Drogs fielded the strongest team they could in the circumstances. Their problem isn't so much their plethora of options (except in attack) as the mediocrity of fringe players like Baker and Cahill.

Dodge
12/03/2008, 3:46 PM
Pats have 22 players (including Robbie horgan as 3rd keeper and a couple of our u18s). Had to laugh when I read a couple of journos (Bohs supporters) speaking about Pats going for quantity while Bohs went for quality. We have 3 strikers (one of whom is injured). We end our game with Sligo with Alan kirby and Ryan guy up front.

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 3:50 PM
I think Pats' squad is relatively big in that it includes very few fringe players (which isn't a problem as long as they can pay them all, as they presumably can.) Horgan and maybe Haverty are the only squad members who wouldn't expect to start for an upper-mid-table team.

superfrank
12/03/2008, 3:57 PM
What age is Horgan now?

Sheridan
12/03/2008, 3:59 PM
40 in June.

DmanDmythDledge
12/03/2008, 4:05 PM
Is this about to become a new problem for the big clubs - think Drogheda last week, did Doolin pick the wrong side? Kenny admitted to it after losing to Linfield.
Don't think it will- it's a big advantage to have if key players get injured, out of form etc. Only possible problem is that manager's might start tinkering with their team rather than deciding on a best XI.

Dodge
12/03/2008, 9:03 PM
I think Pats' squad is relatively big in that it includes very few fringe players (which isn't a problem as long as they can pay them all, as they presumably can.) Horgan and maybe Haverty are the only squad members who wouldn't expect to start for an upper-mid-table team.

And Haverty should expect to start. ;) BUt in rela tersm, its still small enough.

Guy, Fitzpatrick and others aren't really top quality either

ndrog
13/03/2008, 10:57 AM
Think you're barking up the wrong tree there, Sniffer. Drogs fielded the strongest team they could in the circumstances. Their problem isn't so much their plethora of options (except in attack) as the mediocrity of fringe players like Baker and Cahill.

wrong.Stuey Byrne was left out and is one of our strongest players by a long way .Agree about Cahill , hes muck but Richie Baker is a quality player .

holidaysong
13/03/2008, 11:00 AM
wrong.Stuey Byrne was left out and is one of our strongest players by a long way .Agree about Cahill , hes muck but Richie Baker is a quality player .

Byrne is your best player IMO and he should have started. Bad call by Doolin if you ask me.

SeanDrog
13/03/2008, 12:29 PM
I think there is merit in the point regarding Doolin having too many options - I am not convinced that he knows his best 11 or that he has ever known his best 11. Last season due to injuries he had to play certain players and the decisions were made for him. Last weekend the dropping of Byrne was a massive mistake (although I am sure we will get some club leak claiming he wasn't 100% fit :rolleyes: ).

You also can look at Robinson some people perfer him in the centre and Doolin seems to rate him as a centre midfielder but for me he is a winger and does his best work there but (and this is the point) anytime he starts in the centre, Doolin finsishes by putting him on the wing !!! is he a winger of centre player?

Hughes and Byrne should have been the centre midfield for me last weekend with Robinson on the wing - drop Keegan (another woeful passing game from him).

Then we had the taking off of Bates :eek: I really hope Doolin was ****ed as a cute on Saturday during the game because if these decisions were made when he was sober then I think we are in for a long long loooonng season.

SeanDrog
13/03/2008, 12:40 PM
And Haverty should expect to start. ;) BUt in rela tersm, its still small enough.

Guy, Fitzpatrick and others aren't really top quality either

I really think that Pats messed up big time last season taking Fitz from us - it was a mangerial coup for Doolin - esp. given the sitter Fitz then missed in Utd Park at our last meeting. Surprised your manager isn't getting more flake for that decision.

scottish_bohs
13/03/2008, 12:40 PM
Had to laugh when I read a couple of journos (Bohs supporters) speaking about Pats going for quantity while Bohs went for quality.

Which two were they?

Dodge
13/03/2008, 12:45 PM
Surprised your manager isn't getting more flake for that decision.

Well then you don't attend enough pats games. He gets plenty of abuse...

Which two were they?

Neil O'Riordan and Aiden Fitzmaurice. At least Fitz maurice is a decent enough jourrno...

Sam_Heggy
13/03/2008, 12:49 PM
We have a first team squad of 20, 16 of which are full time. We have pretty much good cover, we currently have about 4 of our starting 11 out injured and the cover coming in is pretty good so overall our squad is sound.
I would prefer us to go out of both cups early though, our squad should be focused on survival in the league.

pete
14/03/2008, 12:02 AM
We have a 28 man squad but I think at least 5 will not be near the first team & probably end up in the A team. All bar a 2-4 are fulltime.