PDA

View Full Version : Roddy in Longford takeover

Pages : [1] 2

Buile Shuibhne
12/03/2008, 5:54 AM
Longford take-over to see Collins return as manager

By Daniel McDonnell
Wednesday March 12 2008

RODDY COLLINS is set for a shock return to football management with Longford Town after a Dublin-based consortium last night shook hands on a deal to take over the Midlands club.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/longford-takeover-to-see-collins-return-as-manager-1314040.html

Keen2win
12/03/2008, 6:43 AM
:eek::eek::mad:
Thats all I can say
WTF

Ringo
12/03/2008, 6:53 AM
:eek::eek::mad:
Thats all I can say
WTF

RIP Longford. go reis de go raibh a anim

Macy
12/03/2008, 6:56 AM
Will wait and hear the full story, but my initial reaction is to be very worried. The very same week that Gretna, owned by Shoddy's previous great white knight, goes into administration...

WoodquayBoy
12/03/2008, 7:20 AM
Goodbye to the AC Milan - will, ye have similar jerseys - of the League of Ireland. Tullamore should be preparing to make the step up now, one Midlands team replacing another

Ash
12/03/2008, 7:30 AM
Goodbye to the AC Milan - will, ye have similar jerseys - of the League of Ireland. Tullamore should be preparing to make the step up now, one Midlands team replacing another

One Midlands team is enough ... stick with the original and best :p

Well, seeing as Longford had 6 former Athlone players starting last week, plus former Athlone manager
back in charge, I suppose it makes sense that another former Town employee goes there! ;)

Tir Oilean
12/03/2008, 7:38 AM
Just had to check the calendar there but unfortunately for Town supporters its not the 1st of April yet.

How any one can have faith in a proven chancer ill never know

LeixlipRed
12/03/2008, 7:43 AM
Well at least his days on MNS are numbered :D Yiz are screwed

blackholesun
12/03/2008, 8:47 AM
scary stuff, particularly the last line :eek:

"It is understood that Collins will be a shareholder in the new Longford Town set-up."

With one to come up and a poor squad in place, the chances of them getting up this season are slim, so in reality they'll be looking to get up next season after which he wants to head for the UK :p

bhs

Ringo
12/03/2008, 9:07 AM
scary stuff, particularly the last line :eek:

"It is understood that Collins will be a shareholder in the new Longford Town set-up."

With one to come up and a poor squad in place, the chances of them getting up this season are slim, so in reality they'll be looking to get up next season after which he wants to head for the UK :p

bhs

No you don't understand. Roddy is bringing in top class players & friends from the UK To help with the push for promotion. This along with the millions he'll have in his transfer kitty will ensure Longford are going back up. His record in top class management speaks for itself.

RonnieB
12/03/2008, 9:10 AM
Exactly he has never been relegated with any club either. A man of integrity and loyalty unrivaled by any other manager.

MyTown
12/03/2008, 9:11 AM
Suddenly our League Cup fixture has become a must-see game. :D

The Lilywhites
12/03/2008, 9:17 AM
I don't understand why clubs still entertain this mouth.

Mr A
12/03/2008, 9:36 AM
Longford for the A-league. Obviously Roddy will depart one minute before this becomes a certainty. He's never been relegated you know.

Battery Rover
12/03/2008, 9:38 AM
7 former Athlone Town employess take Longford Town apart from the inside:D

joeSoap
12/03/2008, 9:40 AM
The very fact that everybody seems so pre-occupied with him speaks volumes. Remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity, and this is probably a good PR move for Longford. If this Mc Mullen guy is a shrewd businessman, then he won't let Shoddys plans to take over English football cloud his judgement and he will just use Shoddy to get a bit of a buzz going.

Rocky77
12/03/2008, 9:53 AM
The very fact that everybody seems so pre-occupied with him speaks volumes. Remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity, and this is probably a good PR move for Longford. If this Mc Mullen guy is a shrewd businessman, then he won't let Shoddys plans to take over English football cloud his judgement and he will just use Shoddy to get a bit of a buzz going.

We have a buzz going already. Aaron and Vinny are doing trojan work putting the club back into the community and there's a real sense of togetherness.

F**k off Roddy, we don't want you

ltfc_2004
12/03/2008, 9:57 AM
when i first saw the title I thought Jim Roddy !!!!!!!!! ah well

Looking at good old google it seems McMullens is more estate agents than property developers. Who else is in the consortium ?

Macy
12/03/2008, 10:05 AM
From ltfc.ie...

Club Statement
Today, 10:42AM

LTFC would like to confirm that a meeting was held last night with potential investors. Contrary to reports in todays papers no agreement has been reached. Any formal proposal received will be brought before the club executive and club members for a decision.

LeixlipRed
12/03/2008, 10:11 AM
We have a buzz going already. Aaron and Vinny are doing trojan work putting the club back into the community and there's a real sense of togetherness.

F**k off Roddy, we don't want you

Get protesting then. The league doesn't need Roddy running another club into non-existence.

Macy
12/03/2008, 10:14 AM
Get protesting then. The league doesn't need Roddy running another club into non-existence.
Sorry, we should take lectures from Shels fans about protesting against spoofers running our club into the ground? :rolleyes:

sligoman
12/03/2008, 10:24 AM
Shocking news if it happens:eek:.

Jerry The Saint
12/03/2008, 10:24 AM
I don't understand why clubs still entertain this mouth.

No club has properly entertained him as a manager since Shamrock Rovers were taken in. He can't even get a meeting with a club unless he promises to give them cash. Kilkenny decided that going out of the league was a better option than giving The Rod a chance :)

Remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity

Tell that to Cathal O Searcaigh :eek:

LeixlipRed
12/03/2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry, we should take lectures from Shels fans about protesting against spoofers running our club into the ground? :rolleyes:

Haha, fair enough so. Even when we were in the **** we still told Roddy to **** off

pete
12/03/2008, 10:30 AM
Without wanting to insult Longford Town I fail to see why a Dublin property developer with no apparent connections to Longford would want to run the club. Low catchment base means hardly a sleeping giant sitting on valuable development land...

:confused:

sparkey
12/03/2008, 10:37 AM
LTFC are a members club and therefore any proposed take over will have to be voted for by the members. So any LTFC supporters who are not members yet and would HATE to see Shoddy as manager or have any part in the club join now and have your say at the members meeting. VOTE NO TO RODDY!:mad:

hoopy
12/03/2008, 10:42 AM
Be prepared to see a seriously unfit team who go for walks on the beach instead of training. Funny that the property developer is a Bohs fan putting money into Longford.

Pauro 76
12/03/2008, 10:45 AM
Not prepared to have Roddy's grubby mitts over our club. No to Shoddy Collins! And keep Aaron and Vinny as management duo whatever happens.

blackholesun
12/03/2008, 10:52 AM
Be prepared to see a seriously unfit team who go for walks on the beach instead of training. Funny that the property developer is a Bohs fan putting money into Longford.

Luckily for the players there are no beaches in Longford ...

Oh wait, isn't there 100s of lakes, I am sure Shoddy the spoofer will find a suitable one!

:D

bhs

finnpark
12/03/2008, 10:53 AM
Longford Town Breaking News (http://aureliada.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/59762_simpsons_nelson_haha2_123_104lo.jpg)

amjl
12/03/2008, 10:57 AM
Kilkenny decided that going out of the league was a better option than giving The Rod a chance

tbh Jerry, I can see point, but to say that after spending years trying to build the club that they would rather go out of the league that let Roddy Collins take over is in imo highly unlikey. But then again, you'd never know!

There were not great options, Roddy or Fold?, but I know which I'd pick if I had to. Its no fun when you have no team to follow:(

finnpark
12/03/2008, 11:01 AM
"After two years of proving his acumen in the Eircom League, he hopes to get more money together with further investors with a view to purchasing a club in England -- while maintaining his links with Longford, which could end up acting as feeder team to his cross-Channel operation."

Im sure UEFA and the FAI will have a thing or two to say about that. This is going to go bellies up! Poor Longford, I really fear for that club now.

max power
12/03/2008, 11:01 AM
As said above, if you are not a member become one...........FAST !!!

This is bad news. perhaps the developer is interested as there is a large asset there ( Flancare Park ) and land not developed yet with planning permission applied for.

Postman
12/03/2008, 11:04 AM
Roddy - the manager who wanted his Rovers team to stay the night in Cork after the game and not before. Half of them missed the bus the next day they were so ****ed. This guy is the lowest of the low. Everything he touches turns to sh#t. If the Longford board get sucked in they deserve everything they get. Question to the Longford fans - who own the land the stadium is on? This is the only thing worth anything so whoever owns the land will make the decision I would imagine.

Longfordian
12/03/2008, 11:05 AM
Two thumbs down from me anway as a member. I don't want Roddy anywhere near us, we were surviving without his promised millions, we'll survive without them.

amaccann
12/03/2008, 11:09 AM
Ah Roddy Collins.
<gerry adams>he hasn't gone away you know</gerry adams>

max power
12/03/2008, 11:15 AM
Two thumbs down from me anway as a member. I don't want Roddy anywhere near us, we were surviving without his promised millions, we'll survive without them.

Sing it loud !!!

thischarmingman
12/03/2008, 11:18 AM
Thank God. This hopefully means no more Roddy-crotch on MNS. On our widescreen TV it seems to fill the room.

Dodge
12/03/2008, 11:34 AM
Exactly he has never been relegated with any club either. A man of integrity and loyalty unrivaled by any other manager.

Spot on. The league needs more Roddy.

Tis-smeee
12/03/2008, 11:34 AM
I dunno what prevails ? my hatred for roddy or my hatred for longford.................................

thischarmingman
12/03/2008, 12:03 PM
I tried to find more information about this Roddy character but no luck it seems...

Google. (http://www.gooogie.co.uk/?gid=174239&hl=en&meta=o&q=Roddy%20Collins%20football%20manager)

Rob_the_cat
12/03/2008, 1:00 PM
Will wait and hear the full story, but my initial reaction is to be very worried. The very same week that Gretna, owned by Shoddy's previous great white knight, goes into administration...

To be fair to Brooks Mileson, he is battling serious illness at the moment, which necessitated his pullout from that small club in Scotland.

It's probably unfair to comment as none of us knows what the financial situation for Longford and their investors are. My gut feeling is that Roddy's side leaking it won't help the negotiations. The same thing happened with the City bid. And in fairness to JR, the FAI "guaranteed preservation of Buckley Park for football" option versus the Roddy "pie in the sky-white elephant-I'm going to manage Celtic someday" option was a no brainer.

Macy
12/03/2008, 1:23 PM
To be fair to Brooks Mileson, he is battling serious illness at the moment, which necessitated his pullout from that small club in Scotland.
I know that, but that helps Gretna how exactly? It shows the folly of this type of unsustainable "investment".

Longfordian
12/03/2008, 1:29 PM
I don't see how even if they took over that they could build the club up to a situation where they could sustain that kind of expenditure without their investors. The club had plans for development with pitches, bar/restaurant etc before they came along but they weren't going to try and run before they could walk

Postman
12/03/2008, 1:31 PM
To be fair to Brooks Mileson, he is battling serious illness at the moment, which necessitated his pullout from that small club in Scotland

If the owner of your company gets sick, does he stop paying your wages? Didn't think so. If you employ people you have a responsibility to them through sickness and in health.

jebus
12/03/2008, 1:41 PM
If the owner of your company gets sick, does he stop paying your wages? Didn't think so. If you employ people you have a responsibility to them through sickness and in health.

Do you know when you went away to Las Vegas on that company weekend with your boss? I think he might have misled you in that small room with that man who was telling you the fine print of your contract.

Congratulations!! :D

Jerry The Saint
12/03/2008, 2:07 PM
I tried to find more information about this Roddy character but no luck it seems...

Google. (http://www.gooogie.co.uk/?gid=174239&hl=en&meta=o&q=Roddy%20Collins%20football%20manager)

I also did some research, it seems his story checks out (http://www.gooogIe.co.uk/?gid=174295&hl=en&meta=o&q=Roddy%20Collins%20relegated).

EDIT: Actually - forget that - the real results of an actual google search are much, much funnier :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roddy_Collins

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/Roddy-Collins-upset-to-t22352.html&p=409304#entry409304

http://www.tribune.ie/2006/07/30/76572.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/?c=SPORT&jp=cwkfcwqlmhql&d=2005-07-21

http://www.a2zsoccer.com/index.cfm/search/relegated/loc/2-1/articleId/4D4E3739-A133-F75E-F1266C2FE6C01AA9.htm

Nipper
12/03/2008, 2:11 PM
I feel physically sick.

passerrby
12/03/2008, 2:51 PM
the shark has been circling for a few months looking to find some weaker member of the pack and now he pounces the B*ll*x .. if you get talking to him watch his lips ,every time they move he,s telling porkies

Mr_Parker
12/03/2008, 3:03 PM
Collins was sniffing around a few IL clubs last season looking to "get involved" with one of them. I think he was a bit surprised at the number of members clubs in the North and therefore takeovers were not so easy.