PDA

View Full Version : All Ireland League, Limerick Franchise?

grumpypaddy
11/03/2008, 11:56 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/allireland-league-eyeing-up-franchise-for-limerick-1313193.html

has anybody seen this or have any opinions?

jebus
11/03/2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/allireland-league-eyeing-up-franchise-for-limerick-1313193.html

has anybody seen this or have any opinions?

Posted in some other thread. I'm against it on the basis that we have no right to be in the top division of an AIL structure

L37Ultra
12/03/2008, 1:37 AM
Posted in some other thread. I'm against it on the basis that we have no right to be in the top division of an AIL structure

Ya. Agree. In my opinion football is about earning something by hard work both on and off the field. Limerick certainly dont deserve this on that basis ahead of say Silgo, Cobh, UCD etc.. Dont get me wrong it would be fantastic for Limerick football and the boost they badly need but many people would feel they dont deserve it.

osarusan
12/03/2008, 1:50 AM
I'm against it because I'm against the currently proposed AIL. It would be a disaster for football all over the island. I'm not against a fair and inclusive AIL which aims to benefit all clubs, but I'm against this one.

Also, I can't imagine Limerick would be invited. With all due respect to all involved, the team isn't very good, the stadium isn't very good, and in the short-term future (August 2009 is being mooted as a start date) the prospects for improvement aren't great.

Given the obvious, explicit aim of Platinum One is to gain as much profit as possible, I wouldn't have thought Limerick would be a good choice.

grumpypaddy
12/03/2008, 2:29 AM
it seems to me that it based on the franchise idea that they have in the States, ie the NFL or major league soccer. would they have relegation etc and is it a replacement for the leagues that exist at the minute or an addition?

Voice of Reason
12/03/2008, 8:07 AM
The whole thing seems strange.

A private company running the league, presumably a reduction in European places.

I didn't think it was the sort of thing clubs in the North would have gone for.

I'm also a bit old-fashioned and think that promotion has to be earned. Based on our recent form we wouldn't deserve to be be included.

If there is promotion and relegation then there could be seasons when the league is all Northern or Republic. I wonder how that will go down?

If Limerick were included I think it's more than likely we would finish last. Where's the fun in that?

Lionel Ritchie
12/03/2008, 8:40 AM
Rare I agree with John Delaney but he's correct when he says this idea proposed by platinum one, goldmember, silver bullet, lead balloon or anyone else is going absolutely nowhere without the FAI (and (IFA) say so.

Jofspring
12/03/2008, 2:21 PM
limerick 37 aren't ready to be put in and don't deserve it ahead of other teams at the moment. there would have to be alot of money pumped in aswell if they where to get invited.

joeSoap
12/03/2008, 2:50 PM
Lifes not fair sometimes, and sentiment and logic don't get you very far in economics.

This is something that could be the makings of Limerick senior soccer- a big stage, big crowds, big derbies and TV coverage.

If it is managed properly, we would be foolish not to give it a lash.

4tothefloor
12/03/2008, 2:52 PM
Limerick is being targeted because they know that the crowds will flock to see top flight football. That potential simply isn't there with your Athlones/Sligos/UDCs. It would also be almost a necessity to have Limerick included in terms of key urban area and geographical spread.

The downside of course is that the current club is not ready for that level of football and all it involves at this moment in time. Now we are all aware of and waiting on the possibility of the new soccer stadium being built through the regeneration project. We should know more in June/July. Our new owner is apparently loaded. So a lot could change in the not too distant future.

As for the AIL itself, regardless of Limerick being in it or not, I'm against it unless it encapsulates all the current EL/IL clubs in a multi tiered league structure of some sorts. If it's one cherry picked elite division with no relegation/promotion I would be totally against it. Any football fan with half a brain would. And I'd want it run by the FAI & IFA, not a limited company.

sadloserkid
12/03/2008, 3:24 PM
4tothefloor has pretty much covered it all. I'll just add that if we are invited in obviously we'd do well to accept the invitation. That said I couldn't agree more that we have no place or business in such company at the moment and that the currently proposed AIL is a horrible idea that needs some serious work to make it in any way beneficial to football (as opposed to a handful of people's pockets) on this island.

Lim till i die
12/03/2008, 3:38 PM
When the Yank arrived it was obvious he was one of either two things:

a) A Huckster

b) Gearing us for this AIL thingy.

Frankly, I'm not sure which outcome I'd find more palettable

sadloserkid
12/03/2008, 3:42 PM
If we do wind up playing in this elite league proposed it will stink to high heavens. But I will quite happy to go through with it.

Lim till i die
12/03/2008, 3:45 PM
If we do wind up playing in this elite league proposed it will stink to high heavens. But I will quite happy to go through with it.

Kind of like this L37 farce then ;) :)

sadloserkid
12/03/2008, 3:48 PM

Exactly. :)

4tothefloor
12/03/2008, 8:28 PM
Well we're dropping the '37' apparently. New name, new era, new league? Maybe, perhaps? Having thought about it though, if we are invited I can't see us turning it down. Nor can I see too many of our fans complaining about it! :D

dell hell
12/03/2008, 10:56 PM
i don't understand what the problem is an AIL would be fantastic ya we may not be ready right now but who knows a league like this would attract interest in the football community in town and with fans comes money and with money comes players.. some kind of a deal could be worked out with thomond park people until the Lim Regen croud put something practical in place... Go on all the cynics let me have it:confused:

jebus
12/03/2008, 11:16 PM
You fail to grasp the concept of football as a sport

dell hell
13/03/2008, 2:53 AM
You fail to grasp the concept of football as a sport

you are full of of s*it come to terms with fact that L37 as it is has no chance of survival and all the close minded people who are involved will be responsible when it fizzle's out at the end of this year or next. errea or umbro, 37 or city it's all bullsh*t if nobody comes to the matches then the club is f*cked

jebus
13/03/2008, 8:59 AM
you are full of of s*it come to terms with fact that L37 as it is has no chance of survival and all the close minded people who are involved will be responsible when it fizzle's out at the end of this year or next. errea or umbro, 37 or city it's all bullsh*t if nobody comes to the matches then the club is f*cked

Everyone realises Limerick needs top flight, you're still failing to grasp the concept of football as sport, and I also think you might have anger issues

L37Ultra
13/03/2008, 10:15 AM

I actually thought you had something to add to this conversation after I read your first post but know you just ruined it. Read what I said in the Eircom League forum. Of course Limerick fans would want to see L37 playing in the AIL/Top flight etc.. but many would want them to earn it, not put in because its the third biggest city in Ireland or the club has potential. Thats not what football (as a sport) should be about in my opinion.

Jofspring
13/03/2008, 10:55 AM
I actually thought you had something to add to this conversation after I read your first post but know you just ruined it. Read what I said in the Eircom League forum. Of course Limerick fans would want to see L37 playing in the AIL/Top flight etc.. but many would want them to earn it, not put in because its the third biggest city in Ireland or the club has potential. Thats not what football (as a sport) should be about in my opinion.

and thats exactly how most limerick fans feel i'm sure.

KevB76
13/03/2008, 12:23 PM
As for the AIL itself, regardless of Limerick being in it or not, I'm against it unless it encapsulates all the current EL/IL clubs in a multi tiered league structure of some sorts. If it's one cherry picked elite division with no relegation/promotion I would be totally against it. And I'd want it run by the FAI & IFA, not a limited company.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

But if we do end up in it, you wont hear any complaints from me.

Lim till i die
13/03/2008, 12:58 PM
But if we do end up in it, you wont hear any complaints from me.

I will complain vociferously.

No matter what happens. :)

It's my duty as a Limerick fan

sadloserkid
13/03/2008, 3:50 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with dell hell's posts in this thread. Some of the posters here are so defensive that it's pathetic. Somebody thinks that AIL is a good idea. I personally think the current plans are awful but I manage to avoid getting snide about it. Grow up lads, for all the complaints about the junior posters on here a handful of you are really no better.

Lim till i die
13/03/2008, 4:01 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with dell hell's posts in this thread.

In fairness, I've highlighted the bits of his post which are muppetry:

I do, however, agree 1000% with your sentiment. :ball:

sadloserkid
13/03/2008, 4:25 PM
In fairness, I've highlighted the bits of his post which are muppetry

There's nothing with muppetry per se though in the context of posting online and given that his original post was much tamer than that only to have condescension tossed at him I think that a certain amount of irritation on his part was justified.

Who ever thought the day would come when I'd be urging people to follow your lead in the manner in which they post?? :p

And yet now I am... ;)

Lim till i die
13/03/2008, 4:36 PM
Who ever thought the day would come when I'd be urging people to follow your lead in the manner in which they post?? :p

It's a good day for Limerick and all its football clubs.

Come in to the light everyone, it's warm. :)

jebus
13/03/2008, 5:02 PM
i don't understand what the problem is an AIL would be fantastic ya we may not be ready right now but who knows a league like this would attract interest in the football community in town and with fans comes money and with money comes players.. some kind of a deal could be worked out with thomond park people until the Lim Regen croud put something practical in place... Go on all the cynics let me have it:confused:

Did he not ask us to come on and post against him here?

sadloserkid
13/03/2008, 5:06 PM
Did he not ask us to come on and post against him here?

I'm sure you've heard it from your mum millions of times but if somebody told you to go and jump off a cliff etc etc...

jebus
13/03/2008, 5:09 PM
I'm sure you've heard it from your mum millions of times but if somebody told you to go and jump off a cliff etc etc...

And as you well know I would jump off said cliff if I thought it would be fun, I believe we've discussed this matter before. :) I stand by saying that people who think the idea of promoting clubs based on geographical location is sound don't seem to grasp the concept of football as a sport. It's not like I cursed him out of it and told him to run along home (and I have been known to do that).

And I still say that the Junior thing has gotten totally out of hand on this forum

sadloserkid
13/03/2008, 5:25 PM
And as you well know I would jump off said cliff if I thought it would be fun, I believe we've discussed this matter before. :)

We have. I agree that it sounds like fun.

I stand by saying that people who think the idea of promoting clubs based on geographical location is sound don't seem to grasp the concept of football as a sport.

I agree with you 100%. So does dell hell who says that he doesn't think we'd be ready right now. Several posters have said that if we're offered the place we'd be mad not to take it, however unfair and unreasonable the elevation would be.

And I still say that the Junior thing has gotten totally out of hand on this forum

I agree with this too. This is why two of those posters have been suspended or banned in the last few days. To be honest though the reaction from certain quarters to the junior sulkfest has been just as tedious. A Derry City fan whose name I forget had the rather excellent sig, "never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" and that has been happening with an all too predictable inevitability on this forum of late.

no17 fan
14/03/2008, 12:07 PM
getting back on topic it would be unfair on a number of clubs if L37 were promoted into an AIL elite division,however the problems in Limerick are the
same all over the country,the dublin outfits,the west and north of the country are struggling to get people in the gates with the exception of 2 or 3 clubs the league is in trouble, this AIL is about redesigning t idea of senior footbal in the country as a whole not just limerick.so i'm another who would like to see a feasible senior football league in the country that attracts a fan base and produces talented footballers,,,,,

jebus
14/03/2008, 12:20 PM
That's a problem that the AIL won't be able to fix though I feel. Some people expect attendences to rise just by including Linfield, Glentoran and the rest but I don't see how that would happen. Sure Linfield vs an Irish club might bring in a few knuckledraggers left over from the Troubles in, but outside of that I don't think non-LoI fans would care that much. The same applies for raising the standard of play, if anything the IL is worse than the LoI.

The one thing I do like about the AIL proposal is the structured leagues idea, a progression for the AIL Premier down to the Juniors, but again that has been started this year by the FAI