PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale of Khatmandu

Billsthoughts
11/03/2008, 9:30 PM
On now on rte2. for anyone who mightnt know its the doc about the Irish language poet which casued controversy over him having sex with local teens.

joema
11/03/2008, 10:25 PM
Just seen it - disturbing stuff. Fair play to RTE for broadcasting it!

Billsthoughts
11/03/2008, 10:41 PM
OMG - it was a very disturbing last 15 mins. I watched the scannal programme about the ferns scandal there yesterday as well. kinda focused the mind a bit watching the doc tonight. he deffo knew what he was doing.you could see it in his face when she was questioning him at the end. tone of the narrator was a bit annoying at times tho. obviously not in the same league as o searcaigh but she did seem to be taking advantage of the boys herself at the end.

stann
12/03/2008, 1:53 PM
Was disturbing alright.
Seemed to me the way the programme was structured was a bit shoddy though, it was a bit of a stitch-up job in one way, the narrator apparently not knowing what was going on when a moron could see it, only to have a "revelatory moment" late on and then confront the startled and unsuspecting protagonist in an overly dramatic fashion, but having said that she didn't show or talk about anything that Sharkey didn't admit to. The final impression would be that for all his high-flown wordiness and the etherial imagery he weaves with his words, he's just a grubby, sordid, sex tourist, the same as all the others.
He struck me as a little MJ-ish, seeing nothing untoward in what he was doing, though unlike the other lad he understood that others wouldn't see things his way, hence his shifty evasiveness at the end.
Good programme.

SaucyJack
12/03/2008, 3:47 PM
didn't see it, but the guys rationalizing(from what I've read here and elsewhere) reminded me of Beat poet Allen Ginsberg, who also had an interest in Nepal and was a member of N.A.M.B.L.A(north american man-boy love association)...creepy stuff, creepy people.

superfrank
12/03/2008, 4:07 PM
a member of N.A.M.B.L.A(north american man-boy love association)...creepy stuff, creepy people.
I didn't know this actually existed, I merely thought it was another South Park ****-take.

Saw the documentary last night. It was pretty disturbing alright. As soon as he said "I'm not a sex-tourist" unprovoked, it was even more obvious he was.

He knows he's doing something wrong. At the end he was admitting to some of it but denying other parts when before he would've denied everything.

John83
12/03/2008, 4:10 PM
I didn't know this actually existed, I merely thought it was another South Park ****-take.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMBLA