PDA

View Full Version : Birthday presents for partners?

lionelhutz
11/03/2008, 11:37 AM
Hi lads,

I started a similar thread for Christmas and ye came with some gr8 ideas so I'll give it another go for her birthday.

She's mid 20's and we're going out over 3 years and it's her birthday next week.

I'd spend a fair bit. Got her the nintendo ds for xmas and she loves it. Was thinkin maybe a weekend away in a spa, a fancy jewellery box, dvd box sets............

Any ideas on presents??

jebus
11/03/2008, 11:42 AM
Weekend away always works a treat. There's some great places up North if you check online, either that or head out to the islands on the west coast for 3 days, nothing says romance like Achill in a thunderstorm :)

Ash
11/03/2008, 11:58 AM
Mrs Ash for me tickets to Neil Delemare on Sat in Vicker St for my birthday.
Better still, she has no interest in stand up comedy so she got me 2 tickets
so I can bring one of the lads and have a boozy weekend in Dublin :D

GavinZac
11/03/2008, 3:10 PM
If she enjoyed the DS, theres a good chance she might enjoy the Wii. similar style of games, and good fun with two players or in a group. probably a bit above the planned expenditure but you'd get to play it too :D

Kingdom
11/03/2008, 4:34 PM
Hi lads,

I started a similar thread for Christmas and ye came with some gr8 ideas so I'll give it another go for her birthday.

She's mid 20's and we're going out over 3 years and it's her birthday next week.

I'd spend a fair bit. Got her the nintendo ds for xmas and she loves it. Was thinkin maybe a weekend away in a spa, a fancy jewellery box, dvd box sets............

Any ideas on presents??

One of the other posts suggested getting the Wii. I'd go against that advice. My wife's birthday is about 4 weeks after Xmas which is about 5 weeks after our anniversary, so I intentionally keep the 3 presents completely different.

Some sort of beauty set/voucher always goes down well; music or gig tickets too. What I do is go out for a meal during the week and give presents at home or if its at a weekend go away for it.
Ps I'd advise if you're going to go away do it foreign; goes down well and its better than wasting your money in this kip of a country.

Billsthoughts
11/03/2008, 7:38 PM
flowers are nice!

jebus
11/03/2008, 8:29 PM
flowers are nice!

I always think flowers are nice as an add on, give her the flowers and then her real present...after that you can give her what you bought her for her birthday, boom boom! :)

bellavistaman
11/03/2008, 8:33 PM
I always think flowers are nice as an add on, give her the flowers and then her real present...after that you can give her what you bought her for her birthday, boom boom! :)

:D:D very good.

Billsthoughts
11/03/2008, 8:56 PM

but seriously most women have never even been given flowers.

Wangball
11/03/2008, 10:07 PM
Most women have never been given thrush either, doesn't mean they all secretly crave it.....flowers are an odd gift, you but the for people who have passed away so hy buythem for someones birthday???

Weekend away is always good, lots of deals out there right now too because its a traditionally slow period just before summer

GavinZac
11/03/2008, 10:18 PM
but seriously most women have never even been given flowers.

Suppose it depends on the type of girl but sometimes it comes across very first-valentines-day-17-years-old-ish.

I have a policy whereby I buy herself 3 roses after 3 months, 6 after 6 months, 12 after 12 months, 24 after 24 months, and last time, 48 after 48 months. Thats me sorted for a few years til I'm not a student anyway :D

Billsthoughts
11/03/2008, 10:26 PM
Most women have never been given thrush either, doesn't mean they all secretly crave it.....flowers are an odd gift, you but the for people who have passed away so hy buythem for someones birthday???

you lost me there. maybe they are a bit "underwhelming" for a birthday.

Suppose it depends on the type of girl but sometimes it comes across very first-valentines-day-17-years-old-ish.

dont agree..... obviously! :D
If anything comes accross as 17yr old valentines day its equating spending loads of money on something with how good a gift it is....(not sayin that about your roses....you had me had hello ya big charmer)

GavinZac
11/03/2008, 10:53 PM
Definitely, if you can, go for a trip abroad, even for a weekend. Maybe its because we don't live together usually but its really appreciated and its something fun and different that doesn't expire or get tatty or die in a bowl or get lost down the back of a sofa. Even if its to the cheapest hotel on the cheapest destination on ryanair's destination list, there will be a new experience there and it'll be a fun memory rather than a dust gatherer in a few years.

In particular, I dislike giving jewellery: it really is a matter of taste as to whether they'll actually wear it, its completely non-functional and, if she's the sporting type like my own, it will be left in a dressing room or field somewhere up the country, inevitably.

paul_oshea
12/03/2008, 10:49 AM
get her some sexy underwear. most irish women prolly dont know what lingerie is, but trust me, you will like it :D no seriouslly get her some, they love it, they mightn't admit it but they do.*

*Not that I am speaking from personal experience here.

thischarmingman
12/03/2008, 12:07 PM
but trust me, you will like it :D

Is there something you want to tell us, Paul?

Newryrep
12/03/2008, 12:11 PM
Get her a midweek break in italy April 09 or a long weekend in Sofia June 09

lionelhutz
12/03/2008, 1:10 PM
Cheers lads. Some good stuff there. The weekend away idea sounds good - but i got her a trip to london for xmas so would it look like I'd no imagination if I got her a trip again?!

I was checking out some spa places around ireland - they cost around €215 each for 2 nights and one evening meal. I'd pay this but does any know what these spa's are like? Or does anyone know a better deal?

I also saw a fancy jewellery box in a local gift store - looked really nice. Cost €130 though. Would most women like that??

Oh yeah she said something about a massage chair too - might be a bit out of my price range though - anyone know where i could get one and at what price??

Thanks again

Metrostars
12/03/2008, 1:18 PM
Jewelry. Gold. Not some cheap stuff. Buy expensive stuff and you wont go wrong.

paul_oshea
12/03/2008, 1:35 PM
ya the stuff that gives ye a green mark around the neck.

anto1208
12/03/2008, 1:59 PM
Was thinkin maybe a weekend away WITH a spa,

so she's taking you with her ;):D

There is a spa in clonakilty thats ment to be nice ive never been myself , check out hand made jewlery shops rather than your standard shops. stuff is cheaper and nicer. Silverwood on williams street in Limerick is really good.

DS games if she likes brain training there is BT 2 or eye training.

The jewlery box i would feel would be a add on present and not worth spending that much on ( unless she knows how much it is) but girls like that kind of stuff. All girls like flowers but again not as a main present.

monutdfc
12/03/2008, 2:09 PM
Easy: tie a bow on it! Always works for me :)

Actually it's the missus's birthday on Friday and she wants a laptop (to do the grocery shopping without having to go upstairs to the PC, seriously ;)) Went looking today and the range is mesmerising. Might print of a "voucher" for one and let her pick.

anto1208
12/03/2008, 3:28 PM
Easy: tie a bow on it! Always works for me :)

Again that would fall into the small present catagory ;)

monutdfc
12/03/2008, 3:37 PM
Again that would fall into the small present catagory ;)
LOL! very good

lofty9
12/03/2008, 3:37 PM
3 years? Every birthday and Christmas, all your good lady will be looking for is you to pop the big question.

Scenario 1: You buy her a trip to Paris or someone exotic - she thinks she's in.

Scenario 2: You take her out for a nice meal in a fancy restaurant - she think's she's in.

Scenario 3: Flowers - she thinks you have spent the rest of the money on the ring.

God help you, every present is going to be a big let down :D

DUMP HER! ;)

lionelhutz
12/03/2008, 3:41 PM
Thanks for the realism lofty!! But don't think either of us are considering that scenario just yet - I hope not anyway!!

Anybody got any ideas on where to get that massage chair?? Heard debenhams might have them. She loves those massage chairs that you put 2 euro in and get a 2 min massage

Billsthoughts
12/03/2008, 5:43 PM
Try here (http://www.diamonds-usa.com/engagement_rings/diamond_engagement_rings.asp)

lionelhutz
13/03/2008, 1:28 PM
Cheers Bill - they're a little out of my price range though!!

Might have to go to the pound shop instead - it's the thought that counts!

paul_oshea
13/03/2008, 1:35 PM
lionel, when the time comes ye know, you'd want to be prepared to be spending that price. :exclamation:

osarusan
13/03/2008, 1:37 PM
two presents i gave that are still fondly remembered -

an engraved glass candle holder (the kind that holds liquid fuel) - she said it showed I'd been thinking about her birthday for weeks in advance.

jewelery - we were walking on the beach and she picked up a stone she liked. I had it set in a gold casing and turned it into a pendant. - she loved it because she said it showed I'd been thinking about her birthday for weeks in advance.

Don't know if everybody will feel the same way, but I saw a trend in her responses.

jebus
13/03/2008, 2:17 PM
I really hope no-one looks at your examples Osarusan and thinks, 'the missus has put on weight since Christmas, if I get her an ab cruncher it will show that I've noticed it and been thinking about it for weeks'

:D

forza rovers
13/03/2008, 7:09 PM
Thanks for the realism lofty!! But don't think either of us are considering that scenario just yet - I hope not anyway!!

Anybody got any ideas on where to get that massage chair?? Heard debenhams might have them. She loves those massage chairs that you put 2 euro in and get a 2 min massage
have you tried the chemist for one

lionelhutz
14/03/2008, 11:36 AM
have you tried the chemist for one

I actually got one in debenhams. Its a shiatsu massage cushion for chairs - tis expensive enough but hopefully worth it! She mentioned wanting one around xmas but I'd already got her present then.

Now for the small/medium sized presents!! Was thinking one of her favourite films on dvd and a nintendo ds game. But what about the romantic small gift??

paul_oshea
14/03/2008, 1:49 PM
I once bred a mix between a bulldog and a shiatzu, I called it a bull**** :D

Kingdom
14/03/2008, 3:50 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;896760]get her some sexy underwear. QUOTE]

Of all the gifts to get someone as bday time or crimbo, I find this the tackiest. I'd get that stuff as something to give during the year.

paul_oshea
14/03/2008, 4:01 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;896760]get her some sexy underwear. QUOTE]

Of all the gifts to get someone as bday time or crimbo, I find this the tackiest. I'd get that stuff as something to give during the year.

Really?! Does it work then, my teaser worked, someone finally replied. good man kingdom, too many irish people ( men and women ) have the old fashioned view here, "oh that durty scchtuff", fair play for your honesty. It reminds me of the Catherine Tate scene with the Irish nurse on about the guys "doo doo", when asked about it she gets all embarassed but then when speaking about it herself she calls it "his rancid little ****" :D. Actually that character is class, there is a girl over here i know from galway, whose middle name is bernie, and she goes to the archway tavern, and has red hair, and act and looks just like yer one....its awful funny. :D talk about a spot on stereotype!!!

Magicme
17/03/2008, 4:03 PM
All lovely ideas. I prefer to buy my own sexy undies as I know what I like but going shopping together for some is really fun.

As for the flowers issue, they are lovely but for me roses are just too "easy". Being more imaginative with your flower choice or finding out her favourites will go a long way. I was going out with this guy once and told him coming up to valentines day that I didnt want flowers coz they were too common a gift for valentines (meaning roses really). He arrived at my house with a beautiful bunch of tulips (my favourite flower) as well as other presents. He won so many brownie points for that.

At christmas I got spoiled with loads of lovely little romantic gifts and I have to say boys that is the route to go. Anything less than 5 presents and you havent been thinking about her enough!

Newryrep
17/03/2008, 6:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kingdom;898440] It reminds me of the Catherine Tate scene with the Irish nurse on about the guys "doo doo", when asked about it she gets all embarassed but then when speaking about it herself she calls it "his rancid little ****" :D. Actually that character is class, there is a girl over here i know from galway, whose middle name is bernie, and she goes to the archway tavern, and has red hair, and act and looks just like yer one....its awful funny. :D talk about a spot on stereotype!!!

Jesus Paul you got to be joking, the Irish nurse is ****kin embarrassing but worst it is about as funny as root canal work - as is the rest of Catherine Tate

paul_oshea
18/03/2008, 9:32 AM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;898444]

Jesus Paul you got to be joking, the Irish nurse is ****kin embarrassing but worst it is about as funny as root canal work - as is the rest of Catherine Tate

I dont like the other stuff, but honestly I do think that is funny, but the bits i have seen about the nurse is funny. I do think that character exists, as i see them every weekend :D