PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Pitch

Ash
11/03/2008, 7:37 AM
I read somewhere recently that FIFA are now open to the idea of playing some of the SA World Cup games on artificial surface due to the tournament being on during South Africa winter/rainy season (sorry, cant remember the actual report, I'll try to dig it out)
Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7239653.stm)

You'd think that with all the thought process behind choosing a host nation, they'd have copped well before now that the seasons were different.

Also I think Blatter said the only people against atrificial surfaces are people who have never played on them!!! He obviously never spoke to any away team in Dundalk on a Thursday night!!!!

seand
11/03/2008, 9:20 AM
I read somewhere recently that FIFA are now open to the idea of playing some of the SA World Cup games on artificial surface due to the tournament being on during South Africa winter/rainy season (sorry, cant remember the actual report, I'll try to dig it out)
Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7239653.stm)

You'd think that with all the thought process behind choosing a host nation, they'd have copped well before now that the seasons were different.

Also I think Blatter said the only people against atrificial surfaces are people who have never played on them!!! He obviously never spoke to any away team in Dundalk on a Thursday night!!!!

In fairness the only formal complaint against Dundalk's artifiicial pitch came form Limerick a couple of seasons back, just after they were remarkably lucky to escape with a 4-0 defeat after a rare display of stunning football from Dundalk played on.... wait for it.... a perfect surface for playing football on the deck.

I think a lot of people's preconceptions about artificial surfaces is based on their experience of astroturf. I broke an ankle on astro, which was not fun I must admit, and I was a cynic before playing in Oriel. It's a fantastic surface if you want to play football (which doesn't really suit Dundalk under John Gill) and behaves like grass. Statisitcally and anecdotally it's as safe as grass. And anyone giving out about the quality of the pitch only needs to look at Athlone, Tolka etc for comparison.

Ash
11/03/2008, 9:32 AM
In fairness the only formal complaint against Dundalk's artifiicial pitch came form Limerick a couple of seasons back, just after they were remarkably lucky to escape with a 4-0 defeat after a rare display of stunning football from Dundalk played on.... wait for it.... a perfect surface for playing football on the deck.

I think a lot of people's preconceptions about artificial surfaces is based on their experience of astroturf. I broke an ankle on astro, which was not fun I must admit, and I was a cynic before playing in Oriel. It's a fantastic surface if you want to play football (which doesn't really suit Dundalk under John Gill) and behaves like grass. Statisitcally and anecdotally it's as safe as grass. And anyone giving out about the quality of the pitch only needs to look at Athlone, Tolka etc for comparison.

After our recent results up there I wasn't too happy with it :o

endabob1
11/03/2008, 9:33 AM
2 things on this, the artificial surfaces of old are what most people base their opinions on and the modern ones like Moscow are chalk and cheese in comparrison, they are really good surfaces and not unsuitable but if 1 team is used to playing on it it would be a big advantage imho.
Second point is that Blatter is an idiot of the highest order, I was horrified that I actually agreed with him about something recently (39th game fiasco) but 99 times out of a hundred he comes up trumps with the ludicrous suggestions. South Africa in June/July is akin to Ireland in late Spring or early Autumn, there will be no pitch issues, if anything it's a better time than playing in the heat of an African Summer.

ramsfan
11/03/2008, 5:34 PM
i was impressed with dundalks pitch, i would like to see one in cobh in the near future.

forza rovers
12/03/2008, 7:51 PM
is dundalks pitch asto turf or mondo turf?

jbyrne
13/03/2008, 8:07 AM
i've played on one or two of these new artificial pitches and although they are a big improvement on the astro pitches they are not the same as grass. also, far more unforgiveing for those of us with previous joint injuries

holidaysong
13/03/2008, 11:24 AM
is dundalks pitch asto turf or mondo turf?

It's called FieldTurf.

L37Ultra
13/03/2008, 1:09 PM
It's called FieldTurf.

I played on one of those in a tournament over in Spain a few years ago. It looks like Dundalks pitch but more worn down. It didnt feel right at the start as I was so used to playing proper matches on grass unless it was a kick around on a astro turf (there very different). We were allowed to wear stud on this pitch. Once the game started it felt like you were playing on grass. Small difference really when you are turning but thats all really. Lost 8-0 though :o:o:o

holidaysong
13/03/2008, 1:45 PM
I played on one of those in a tournament over in Spain a few years ago. It looks like Dundalks pitch but more worn down. It didnt feel right at the start as I was so used to playing proper matches on grass unless it was a kick around on a astro turf (there very different). We were allowed to wear stud on this pitch. Once the game started it felt like you were playing on grass. Small difference really when you are turning but thats all really. Lost 8-0 though :o:o:o

It is very different to astroturf and having been on our pitch, it does feel a lot more like grass.

Green Tribe
13/03/2008, 10:08 PM
i was impressed with dundalks pitch, i would like to see one in cobh in the near future.

i do't think dundalk can afford any sorta turf :D