PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 8:39 AM
Well, plenty have opined on the match/defeat last Sunday but for me the most worrying thing was the crowd. If that's all we can manage against the double-holders, then it's gonna be another tough season financially for the club. The Star gave the figure as 1,450 I think. God help us when the 'less attractive' teams roll into town...

Gerry

Citymark
23/08/2001, 9:34 AM
You would think at this stage we would have counters on the turnstiles to know exactly how many people were at a game. It's not exactly rocket science!

pete
23/08/2001, 10:26 AM
Shishhhh....don't let the taxman hear you ;)

Maybe i'm incorrect but I heard before that season tickets are not liable for VAT ot even taxed as they are "club membership dues". If this is true why don't the club push season tickets more & at a cheaper rate?

BTW was the attendance really that small? Any guesses at the true figure?

James
23/08/2001, 10:30 AM
actually i would say that was fairly accurate. for once

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 10:32 AM
I'd agree with James there, the reported attendance was close enough. It certainly didn't look much bigger and I know club officials were very surprised and disappointed by the turnout...

Gerry

James
23/08/2001, 10:39 AM
I know club officials were very surprised and disappointed by the turnout... ....given all the marketing and promotion they had done for the match

for phuks sake there wasnt even a poster outside the ground promoting the game. Lennox would want to kop himself on abit. i cant beleive they are that neive though

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 10:49 AM
I accept your point about promoting (or, more correctly, NOT promoting) the event and agree 100%. Just on a point of interest, however, a club member was giving Roy Dooney a bit of stick at halftime because the posters had not been delivered.
IMO, however, that type of advertising is too low-grade, but I suppose it's better than nothing...

Personally, and I hate to say it, but on the evidence of last season AND last Sunday we are going down the swannie in the National League. I believe the best solution for Cork soccer, and I know not everybody agrees with this, is floodlit football.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by scottyshedender
Summer football is the only way forward, with summer football floodlights aare not needed

Why? Will the sun now shine for nine months just because we moved the footie calendar around?

I believe soccer in Cork needs a boost and I think floodlights will provide that.

Gerry

Peadar
23/08/2001, 1:04 PM
...a story in the Sunday World I think by Fiona Looney, who btw is a Rovers fan, about attending a game in Bishopstown played under floodlights. Anyway she said that the players looked much more sexy and that they could compare to what you'd see on TV.
Sex sells my friends.
Apologies to Fiona if she didn't write that.
It was something along those lines anyway.

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 1:11 PM
Sex @ the X, Friday nights! By Jove, I think you've cracked it, Barry's Tea! :D

Gerry

pete
23/08/2001, 2:42 PM
Bit o fake tan, some pretty boy footballers & the crowds return? Be fine until the irish summer rains & the tan washes off:D

Xlex
23/08/2001, 3:59 PM
Like our own Stuart Holt.......

Did you see his five minutes against Cork, the Ladies were going mental and it went to his head, do you really want 'new' female fans doing this to CCFC.

Not as if youse would pull a fine set of birds to a fcuking city game, except when playing the town!!!!!

Cheers for listening!!!

joe
23/08/2001, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond
a club member was giving Roy Dooney a bit of stick at halftime because the posters had not been delivered.

sorry, couldn't resist

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 4:39 PM
Originally posted by joe

sorry, couldn't resist

I can see it now:
Administrator couldn't resist jibe at club member discussing marketing... :)

Sorry, Joe, I couldn't resist...

Gerry