PDA

View Full Version : Robson back on board.

Philly
08/03/2008, 11:43 PM
Bobby Robson has been hired as an Ambassador to the FAI. In his new role, Robson, who recently celebrated his 75th birthday, will contribute to the development of a high-performance strategy for elite players.

He will also offer guidance and support to technical staff and younger elite players involved in the National Academy at Abbotstown once that is established.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0308/ireland1.html

Thoughts? Good to see him in the game and I'm sure he still knows his stuff. With Robson teaching our kids and Trap coaching the seniors, things are looking up. Now, what about Givens?

Kingdom
09/03/2008, 8:25 AM
Bobby Robson has been hired as an Ambassador to the FAI. In his new role, Robson, who recently celebrated his 75th birthday, will contribute to the development of a high-performance strategy for elite players.

He will also offer guidance and support to technical staff and younger elite players involved in the National Academy at Abbotstown once that is established.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0308/ireland1.html

Thoughts? Good to see him in the game and I'm sure he still knows his stuff. With Robson teaching our kids and Trap coaching the seniors, things are looking up. Now, what about Givens?

You've got to be joking me. Thats absolutely brutal. A few questions.
When is the "academy" due to open? And will robson be able to be play a proper role? Why should we have someone who at best is remembered as the Englishman to get his country to a WC semi and at worst one half of the worst management team we've had in ever as an FAI ambassador?
Have we no candidates of our own? Steve Heighway, Ray Houghton, Johnny Giles?

Lionel Ritchie
09/03/2008, 9:33 AM
Only a couple of posts old and this thread is already a facinating microcosmic case study in modern societal prejudice and predisposition.

Maybe Sir Bobby should go on one of them Celebs in the Jungle shows and get himself a Bebo ...pimp his profile with the young bloods some.

OwlsFan
09/03/2008, 10:19 AM
My reading on this is that Robson had another 2 years left on his contract with the FAI who didn't want to be seen to be also sacking/paying off a 75 year old sick man so they gave him this role for the next 2 years instead. I don't see any other logical explanation since there would be plenty of other options for this position.

tetsujin1979
09/03/2008, 10:22 AM
My reading on this is that Robson had another 2 years left on his contract with the FAI who didn't want to be seen to be also sacking/paying off a 75 year old sick man so they gave him this role for the next 2 years instead. I don't see any other logical explanation since there would be plenty of other options for this position.
Robson's original contract was for 2 years and expired in January
From http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0113/repofireland.html (Friday, 13 January 2006)

The FAI confirmed Staunton has been appointed on a four-year contract, with Robson handed a two-year deal that will be reviewed after that.

bohsRap
09/03/2008, 10:26 AM
For **** sake.

Look I'm not old enough to know of whatever feats this man is supposed to have achieved but from what I've seen of him in my lifetime I see him as a complete tool and a waster. Not to be heartless but does the man even remember his name anymore? I wouldn't trust him with the Nenagh under 12's let alone the National youth setup. Toss him in a room and throw away the key. He's the definition of the term "liability".

Out of all the stupid posts you make, this is definitely up there with the stupidest! He has a contract still running, as far as I know, so this is just giving him something to do.

Toss him in a room and throw away the key. He's the definition of the term "liability".

Get fĂșckin real!

bogwarrior
09/03/2008, 10:49 AM
Some ridiculous posts on here!

You're definately showing your age Ciaran with a stupid post like that! I dont agree with the decision fair enuff and like kingdom said were there not any Irish people interested?!

As for Samuel Beckett above - Stick to the singing lionel for the love of god:rolleyes:.

mark12345
09/03/2008, 11:54 AM
Ciaran, do you think that Bobby Robson was just passing by the FAI offices when they happened to be looking for a partner for Steve Staunton? Do you think they reached out and grabbed him in the door by the scruff of the neck and gave him the job?

Does he have any football experience at all...perhaps? Was he maybe the manager of a Barcelona team which won La Liga? Was he the manager of an England team which was as good as they have been in recent times (given their obvious limitations)?

He was a good appointment, only problem was he should have been the boss with Staunton carrying the kit. Robson is a well respected manager in the game, going back to the days in the 70's when he took Ipswich to Uefa Cup glory against the best Europe had to offer - and there were some great teams back then.

You're right when you say you're too young to know much about Bobby Robson.

amaccann
09/03/2008, 12:50 PM
A strange appointment, only insofar in that I didn't see it coming. I think it could be a good appointment; having someone like Robson about can hardly be a negative & although I had problems with his age, I didn't blame him for the stuff that went down during Stan's reign.

Lionel Ritchie
09/03/2008, 2:16 PM
It's sad that the same people who are sticking up for bobby are hammering Stan. Stan was thrice more capable than Bobby was (which is saying very little mind.)

...Give 'em enough rope I always reckon ...give 'em enough rope.

:D

biscuit
09/03/2008, 10:49 PM
That's like Keegan deciding to sign Pele to solve his goal drought because he's scored the most amount of goals of all time, ignoring the fact that he probably can't kick a ball anymore.

Bobby Robson should be on a commentating panel or handing out FIFA awards. If he chooses to mingle our soccer squad I'll give him no special treatment or pay no notice to part achievements. It's sad that the same people who are sticking up for bobby are hammering Stan. Stan was thrice more capable than Bobby was (which is saying very little mind.)

When roy keane is on gift grub he has a word apt for this individual..."toooollll";)

Supreme feet
10/03/2008, 11:11 AM
It's a token position. I seriously doubt if Robson is going to be working with Irish underage or senior squads in any influential capacity. He'll be invited over to watch a few games, he'll probably cut the ribbon at a few ceremonies. It's like Carlow IT giving an honorary diploma in English studies to Seamus Heaney. Can't hurt anyone, but probably pointless.

Dr. Ogba
10/03/2008, 12:16 PM
It's a token position. I seriously doubt if Robson is going to be working with Irish underage or senior squads in any influential capacity. He'll be invited over to watch a few games, he'll probably cut the ribbon at a few ceremonies. It's like Carlow IT giving an honorary diploma in English studies to Seamus Heaney. Can't hurt anyone, but probably pointless.

well what are they paying him for this "token position" would be the question most of us should be asking?

youngirish
10/03/2008, 1:11 PM
Bobby Robson should be on a commentating panel or handing out FIFA awards. If he chooses to mingle our soccer squad I'll give him no special treatment or pay no notice to part achievements. It's sad that the same people who are sticking up for bobby are hammering Stan. Stan was thrice more capable than Bobby was (which is saying very little mind.)
Stan I didn't realise you were this spiteful about the whole managing Ireland episode and how it turned out for you. Sad really. It wasn't Bobby's fault he couldn't rectify the problems caused by your naive tactics and baffling player selections.

Now get back to making the tea for the staff in Elland road your lunch break finished at 2.

OwlsFan
10/03/2008, 1:48 PM
Robson's original contract was for 2 years and expired in January
From http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0113/repofireland.html (Friday, 13 January 2006)

Well picked up.

Delaney obviously saw something in the 2 years he was with us and in the review decided it was worthwhile holding on to him:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2956

Billsthoughts
10/03/2008, 2:03 PM
Well picked up.

Delaney obviously saw something in the 2 years he was with us and in the review decided it was worthwhile holding on to him:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2956

Same we he saw somethign in Staunton? I think Delaney is like a little fan boy around some of these football people. We should have been happy to be rid of Robson as due to age/illness he wasnt able to actively do the role we gave him last time. Cant beleive we are now giving him another job. again there are a number of Irish people who could have done this. When will Delaneys premiership love in end.

OwlsFan
10/03/2008, 2:59 PM
When will Delaneys premiership love in end.

With the appointment of Trappatoni :p

jmurphyc
10/03/2008, 4:01 PM
Interferring with Stan's selection with awful choices like the team at home to Wales and Andy O Brien over McShane in Cyprus.

There's no proof of either of those. The O'Brien/McShane thing has been mentioned many times but I have yet to see an ounce of proof that it's true. Unless you are a member of the previous coaching staff then you don't have a clue about it either.

I really don't see the harm in Robson's role. He's not involved directly in the set up and I'm sure if he had completely lost it then he wouldn't have been offered a contract renewal. He no longer has a role in the senior set up so I don't see what the problem is.

In regards to the criticisms of him during the last campaign, his involvement was relatively limited due to illness and we have no idea who was to blame for what but I'd say that Staunton was the main decision maker due to his stubborness. If Robson falls sick again in his new role, then there won't be any real harm done compared to him falling in during the last campaign.

bennocelt
10/03/2008, 4:52 PM
Ciaran, do you think that Bobby Robson was just passing by the FAI offices when they happened to be looking for a partner for Steve Staunton? Do you think they reached out and grabbed him in the door by the scruff of the neck and gave him the job?

Does he have any football experience at all...perhaps? Was he maybe the manager of a Barcelona team which won La Liga? Was he the manager of an England team which was as good as they have been in recent times (given their obvious limitations)?

He was a good appointment, only problem was he should have been the boss with Staunton carrying the kit. Robson is a well respected manager in the game, going back to the days in the 70's when he took Ipswich to Uefa Cup glory against the best Europe had to offer - and there were some great teams back then.

You're right when you say you're too young to know much about Bobby Robson.

you could add that the english players took control of the dressing room, tactics and training for world cup when poor bobby went a bit do lallie. And do you not remeber the cameroon game, man how did they not win that

as for Barca, most fans there liked him but again thought he was just a figure head, with the real coaching going on behind his back

just to mention that you know :)

sparkey
11/03/2008, 9:45 AM
With the appointment of Trappatoni :p

He wasnt his appointment remember:rolleyes: Although if Trap is successful Delaney will probably insist that the three man selection committee never existed and that it was all a figment of our imagination

cavan_fan
11/03/2008, 3:42 PM
And after all that I have to endure him getting a lifetime achievement award, his contract renewed and countless idiots saying it's not fair to judge him on his current worth because he was good at some point in the distant past for teams I don't care about.

What Lifetime Achievement Award was this?

geysir
12/03/2008, 11:05 AM
The BBC awards not the FAI.

Irish_Praha
13/03/2008, 5:01 PM
I have to admit I have similar feelings about this as Ciaran. If this is indeed a new contract it seems a bit silly. The last campaign was such a disaster we should be keeping any part of the management team as far away as possible from all levels of the Irish team. I thought we were trying to move on and start a new era? Fair enough he is well respected and has a distinguished career but his time has gone. I know it was mainly due to sickness but as far as I can see he didn't do anything for the development of Irish football in his time with us. I will admit he had the balls to give an interview on the radio when Stan and Delaney didn't have the guts after one of our many poor performances.
I mean the guy has health problems and it's unsure if he would be up to the job, why not give it to someone younger and Irish who has actually done something for Irish football?
Maybe it's only a token gesture and he's not expected to do much but why should the Irish fans have to pay for that? He deserves such a position with England or Ipswich where he actually achieved something and he lives in that country.