PDA

View Full Version : Mons 1-0 Limerick 37

jebus
08/03/2008, 12:07 AM
Joke shop of a ref pretty much cost us a point and we cost ourselves the three. Penalty was never a penalty, but besides that we had more then enough chances to win it. I really don't know how we didn't get anything from the game.

On the plus side we looked pretty good defensively, on the negative side the midfield was non-existent, Davy Ryan needs to learn how to take his time befofre kicking a ball, and we couldn't score, no matter how poor Mons were in defence. Crowd was shocking too, nearly as many Limerick fans as Monaghan

Monkfish
08/03/2008, 7:29 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0307/monaghan_limerick37.html

KevB76
09/03/2008, 12:24 PM
Joke shop of a ref pretty much cost us a point and we cost ourselves the three. Penalty was never a penalty, but besides that we had more then enough chances to win it. I really don't know how we didn't get anything from the game.

Mons player had possesion of the ball in our area, Chuka Manjor went through the back of him to get it, thats a penalty.

The ref was spot on with pretty much everything, the only complaint I could think of is he could have shown a couple more yellows to Mons players but didnt. Apart from that, he was faultless. Look closer to home to find someone to blame for the defeat.

TheBoss
09/03/2008, 10:48 PM
Do you know the Subs bench of both teams ?

gspain
10/03/2008, 7:53 AM
Mons player had possesion of the ball in our area, Chuka Manjor went through the back of him to get it, thats a penalty.

The ref was spot on with pretty much everything, the only complaint I could think of is he could have shown a couple more yellows to Mons players but didnt. Apart from that, he was faultless. Look closer to home to find someone to blame for the defeat.

I wouldn't agree. Chuka got the ball in the challenge and there was hardly any contact. Even the home fans near me all thought it was soft. Did the film crew get a good shot of it?

i thought a scoreless draw would have been a fair result.

KevB76
10/03/2008, 8:12 AM
I wouldn't agree. Chuka got the ball in the challenge and there was hardly any contact. Even the home fans near me all thought it was soft. Did the film crew get a good shot of it?

i thought a scoreless draw would have been a fair result.

Hardly any contact is still contact, and it was from behind. I dont mean to offend anybody but the home fans or the whole crowd are not the one's trained and up to date on the rule book, the ref is, and i say fair play to him for giving a "soft" decision where lesser refs would have bottled it. It was at the end of day the correct decision.

I thought a draw would have been fair as well but we missed our opportunities to level it.

jebus
10/03/2008, 8:28 AM

Coming in from behind is fine as long as you take more of the ball than the man, which is what happened for that one so it shouldn't have been a penalty.

And I did say it was our own fault that we couldn't score one of our umpteen chances as well

osarusan
10/03/2008, 9:42 AM
did he get ball or man first?

joeSoap
10/03/2008, 9:59 AM
Coming in from behind is fine as long as you take more of the ball than the man, No it isn't. Referees are instructed to penalise any challenge from behind, ball or no ball.

Lim till i die
10/03/2008, 11:38 AM
Was poor fare.

That is all.

:)

jebus
10/03/2008, 12:07 PM
No it isn't. Referees are instructed to penalise any challenge from behind, ball or no ball.

Thats if he goes through the player, not if he tackles from behind, but to the side, and takes the ball first

KevB76
10/03/2008, 12:10 PM
Did the film crew get a good shot of it?

The film crew ran out of power before the end of the first half, so abandoned the filming :eek:

inexile
10/03/2008, 12:13 PM
what was the limerick team?

KevB76
10/03/2008, 12:22 PM
what was the limerick team?

Dave Ryan

Danagher, Tracey, T.Barrett, (Fogerty???)

Rossi, Colbert, (Hayes??), Manjor

Liam Barrett, Bruton

Subs: Harrington for Manjor, way too late, Davy Ryan for L.Barrett, way too late.

Can somebody fill in the gaps, correct the mistakes please ?

KevB76
10/03/2008, 12:25 PM
Actually the correct team is on the website :

http://www.limerick37fc.ie/subpage28.html

gspain
10/03/2008, 2:56 PM
Hardly any contact is still contact, and it was from behind. I dont mean to offend anybody but the home fans or the whole crowd are not the one's trained and up to date on the rule book, the ref is, and i say fair play to him for giving a "soft" decision where lesser refs would have bottled it. It was at the end of day the correct decision.

I thought a draw would have been fair as well but we missed our opportunities to level it.

My view of it was he took the ball cleanly in the tackle but put his hand on the back of the Monaghan player.

If you accept it was a penalty then there were at least 4 more in the game when players came together at corners and again there was slight contact.

There were no appeals from any Monaghan pllayer or fans. Even Mike Reilly would have been a bit redfaced if he gave it to Man Utd at Old Trafford.

LFC in Exile
11/03/2008, 11:52 AM
Coming in from behind is fine as long as you take more of the ball than the man, which is what happened for that one so it shouldn't have been a penalty.

And I did say it was our own fault that we couldn't score one of our umpteen chances as well

This is the rule in question.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

jumps at an opponent

charges an opponent

strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

pushes an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player
commits any of the following four offences:

tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).
A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.

Obviously the referee believe dthere was contact with the player before the ball. It is almost impossible to tackle a player from behind without making contact with the player first. The laws do not refer to a 'little' contact or a 'lot' of contact - just contact. There is also a decision 4 on Law 12 that says "A tackle, which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play". Tackles from behind are considered dangerous and rightly so. I guess the ref didn't consider it dangerous (if he did he would have booked Manjor for serious foul play) so it was for making contact with teh player before the ball. Again, teh amount of contact is irrelevant.

Lads, this is a great website http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html. Its amazing how many people watch and play football but have never read the laws of the game. There are even some people who still think 'Not calling a name' is an offence. Prize to anyone who finds any mention of 'not calling a name' in the laws of the game.

joeSoap
11/03/2008, 2:02 PM
:eek: Jayssssus !!!

Monkfish
11/03/2008, 11:09 PM
The challange was outside the box anyway, does that still count?

only joking :p