PDA

View Full Version : Niamhs piece in 451

Gimmick
06/07/2003, 8:57 PM
Having just read Niamhs piece in the latest 451, it has left me somewhat befuddled.

Firstly, whats the story with the TV3 deal?. Do they, or do they not have to show 20 live games?

Why isnt the Cup final listed as a free to air event?

Why did the FAI have to pay for half of the "soccer show"?

Are we now in a better place, worse place, or still at square one? Sometimes I wonder will this league ever go above mediocrity.

Good fanzine. One of the better ones. Far better than anything else in the country, not least that horrible propanga leaflet that is the Pats one. Whay self indulgent crap that is.

wws
06/07/2003, 11:04 PM
strange that it should bother you so much (the pats fanzine) for something you find indulgent crap, methinks you protest too much mate

fanzines are first and firmost about the supporters and about the club they follow, as such the pats fanzine like any other is only a good read to fans of that club, thats the nature of the beast that is fanzines I'm afraid

pete
07/07/2003, 10:38 AM
Not seen the fanzine piece yet but i be surprised if anyone knows the answers to those questions...

TV3 were supposed to show 20 live league games in 4 years i think. Because their quota was down last year was an expectation that they'd have to do at least 5 this season.

The FAI Cup Final is not a free to air event cos nobody in the FAI, media or government could care less.

AFAIK the Soccer Show funding was split 3 ways between the FAI, 7Up (as sponsors) & RTE. In the last couple of years the FAI sold it on to Sky Sports which probably covered their own costs.

Has the new RTE international rights deal (strange how they now willing to pay 5.5m versus 1.6m previously) affect the TV3/eL deal?

:confused:

Schumi
07/07/2003, 11:25 AM
I think the new RTEngland deal had some effect on TV3's deal as the delayed coverage of the internationals was in the same deal. They were showing more than they were required to before the new international deal so they are likely to keep doing that as far as the highlights are concerned but I don't know about the live games.

Dodge
07/07/2003, 11:35 AM
TV 3 have a deal to show 18 live matches in 3 years (could be 4) but the deal is non exclusive (i.e. RTE could show it if they wanted) The highlights package is not part of the deal and AFAIK TV3 aren't obliged to show it.

The soccer show was nothing to do with RTE and made by FAI and independent production company (Shay Eurovision's)

Oh and Pats fans love the fanzine....;)