PDA

View Full Version : There will be Blood

Angus
07/03/2008, 7:31 AM
Anybody seen this ? Stunning movie.

Staggering performance from DDL ably supported by a gang including Ciaran Hinds (Caesar from Rome).

About an oilman but really about the obsession of winning - and beating everybody else along the way. A parallel with Michael Corleone.

The most important scene is between DDL and his long lost brother where DDL has a mini speech about his view of other people - effectively he sees little in others to like - hatred fills him up - complete distain for people around him.

So, not one to bring the wife to............

Hulsey
10/03/2008, 4:26 PM
Have to say I thought it was very boring. About an hour too long, I lost interest halfway

Kingdom
10/03/2008, 4:33 PM
... saw said film on Sat night. I was waiting to see it for ages, and man, it didn't disappoint. I have this thing where I happen to enjoy some performances sometimes instead of the actual film, still unsure whether this is one of those cases. Daniel Day Lewis was superb, and this type of role really suited him. I like Ciaran Hinds, but he really had a minor role in the film. The preacher (Paul dano) was very good I thought, some may remember him from little miss sunshine.
An intense film, but very funny in patches too, while the opening 15 mins or so pretty much sets the stall out.
I'd highly recommend it.

bellavistaman
10/03/2008, 5:13 PM
one o fthe best films i have seen in a long time. Fantastic.

ken foree
10/03/2008, 5:18 PM
this movie only hit me after a couple of days puzzling over it. it's got a lot of depth, i suppose the oilwell is an apt symbol.

i kind of see the oil well as a simultaneous crucifix and gateway to hell. and daniel plainview ("the third revelation") as combination of god and satan. he is an amalgam, an all-powerful, uncaring force, and jealous of man!

jebus
14/03/2008, 9:25 AM
Finally got to it last night and I have to say that it should have won Best Film at this year's oscars. No Country was a great movie, but there's something about this one that puts it head and shoulders above anything else I've seen in a long time. It's probably Daniel Day Lewis but I'll have a think about it.

Agree with you on that ken foree as well, I took the build up of anger that Daniel had throughout the movie (surrounding himself among people he hates) and the release of it on Eli as something akin to the Bible's tale of uncoming doom for all mankind

gustavo
14/03/2008, 9:44 AM
****ing raging this still isnt in Sligo

Kingdom
14/03/2008, 3:54 PM
****ing raging this still isnt in Sligo

aha ha haahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now why wasn't there a smiley face similar to :D at the end of your post!

max power
17/03/2008, 4:10 PM
Did anyone else think the use of music in the film was amazing. It worked so well with certain scenes and the choices were just perfect. Really added to an outstanding performance by Lewis and the actor playing Eli.

NeilMcD
01/04/2008, 5:49 PM
Have to say I thought it was very boring. About an hour too long, I lost interest halfway

Yeah I was not mad about this film either. Just saw it today. Daniel Day Lewis was incredible, I just thought the film was trying to be too clever and neglected having a plot.

cheifo
03/04/2008, 1:10 PM
I thought it was very good but if they had edited twenty minutes off it would have improved it.

max power
04/04/2008, 12:20 PM
I thought it was very good but if they had edited twenty minutes off it would have improved it.

that can improve a lot of movies

gustavo
04/04/2008, 3:10 PM
Not sure if i thought it was brilliant or just ok , It certainly has stuck with me anyway especially the final scene , milkshake draaaaaaainage etc ,Thought it was a bit implausible how immobile Eli was when faced with the clearly old and decrepit Plainview , maybe he just had a hold over him though