PDA

View Full Version : Flynny DOESN'T get player of the month

Counting Crow
06/07/2003, 7:39 PM
So Stephen Grant was awarded the sports writers player of the month for June.

According to the report it seemed that his goal in Europe against the Poles was what swung it for him - "outstanding achievement" - quote / unquote.

Now consider this - there's a player playing in Cork who has scored 12 goals in 11 League games so far this season. Throw in a goal or two in the League Cup and MS Cups also.

Oh, and just for kicks, let's say he gets capped by his Country @ U-21 level and bags a couple of more goals during this period.

Compare also the fact that this "unknown" country boy just happened to score against such European "minnows" as GERMANY, wouldn't it dawn on at least some of these "expert writers" that maybe this guy had done a little bit more than Mr Grant ( and his one goal against these Polish nobodys )?

But then again this goal against GERMANY was scored @ The Cross so they probably never found out about it.

I wonder if this country boy was called Crow instead of Flynn would he have been honoured - you bet your ass he would have.

The only way to show these ****s is to finish top scorer AND get a League Championship medal.

Oh, and by the way - interesting to see Grant got another goal in Europe today - in his OWN NET this time. Does this mean he'll have to hand back the trophy when he returns.

How sweet it is............!

Counting Crow
06/07/2003, 10:16 PM
Wonder who Spillane voted for...........?

pete
07/07/2003, 10:16 AM
The award is only for June so performaces in the rest of the year don't count.

What games have John O'Flynn & Tony Grant played during June - its the only way to compare the two....

Dodge
07/07/2003, 10:46 AM
Didn't O'Flynn win it the month before? In fairness it was a short month for all bar Rovers and they did well during that month so it kinda had to be one of them....

joe
07/07/2003, 10:51 AM
i think Steve Williams got ihe month before and flynny was before that

Dodge
07/07/2003, 11:19 AM
I knew he got one already, they very rarely give it to a player twice (although it has happened) How many did he score in June?

James
07/07/2003, 12:25 PM
exactly flynny scored twice (if memory serves) and played v well in both flynnternationals I saw him play, in the cross and in kilkenny (before he was subbed by that dumbass givens :)), and by all accounts of the match he played v well in dayler against the albanians.

wws
07/07/2003, 12:48 PM
as a pats fan with not much time for the shamrocks I have to say Grant was superb against Odra at Richmond and by all accounts he was doubly so in the away leg

he deserved it, as his was the standout "eircom league" performance that month whereas O'Flynn was the outstanding eircom league representative at Ireland level [thats just my tuppence worth there....I dont know the actual criteria for these things!]

anyway did anyone on this thread see Grant v Odra?

pete
07/07/2003, 2:38 PM
As far as i can make out O'Flynn played against UCD & Bohs in the league for city (scored in both games) & played 3 u-21 games scoring 2 games.

Tony Grant probably played in the league against St Pats & in both Inter Toto Cup games against Odra scoring in the 3 games.

Seems to be much of a muchness & Grant probably shaded cos he not got the award already this season.

Saw Rovers v Odra & IMO Tony Grant had a very good game, maybe slightly behind Palmer as MOTM.

Cityace
08/07/2003, 12:09 AM
And it was announced on the news, whens the last time you heard a cork player of the month bieng announced on the telly????