PDA

View Full Version : Relegation views.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sam_Heggy
06/03/2008, 8:00 PM
The thread on Bartley Ramseys book has become cluttered in a relegation debate. So can we make this a thread for relegation battle/title hopes. Any discussions over there could even be moved here. Mods?

micls
06/03/2008, 8:02 PM
Ramblers Harps and Ucd/Galway going down I think

holidaysong
06/03/2008, 8:03 PM
UCD, Cobh and Finn Harps to go down I'd say. I'd like to see Galway go down and Finn Harps stay up though.

south sligo red
06/03/2008, 8:06 PM
Cant see galway gettin relegated but theres always hope!:D Harps, UCD and cobh to go down this year. Might see bray get dangerously close though.

DmanDmythDledge
06/03/2008, 8:19 PM
Cobh, UCD and Harps.

gufc4life
06/03/2008, 8:22 PM
ucd cobh and bray wanders

KevB76
06/03/2008, 8:26 PM
Cobh, Bray and UCD.

Dunny
06/03/2008, 8:32 PM
Cobh, Bray, UCD/Harps

Student Mullet
06/03/2008, 8:51 PM
Cobh, Harps and one from UCD or Bray

sligoman
06/03/2008, 8:52 PM
Ramblers Harps and UCD/Galway going down I thinkSame but throw Bray into the UCD/Galway mix too.

rambler14
06/03/2008, 8:56 PM
Galway, Bray and UCD

Martinho II
06/03/2008, 9:00 PM
for me cobh ucd harps

cornerflag
06/03/2008, 9:09 PM
harps ucd cobh

Sam_Heggy
06/03/2008, 9:27 PM
Cobhs defence will be a major factor in their fight for survival. They have 2 of the quickest centre halves in the league, they are great in the air and have a quality keeper behind them. Up front Davin O'Neill is a cracking player and if he doesn't go to Forrest or Sunderland, his goals will prove vital.
Its going to be a real battle but its far from a foregone conclusion that Harps and Cobh will go gone.
Any 3 from, Bray, Harps, Cobh, UCD, Galway and maybe even Sham Rovers (its possible but a far outside chance)

south sligo red
06/03/2008, 9:36 PM
Any 3 from, Bray, Harps, Cobh, UCD, Galway and maybe even Sham Rovers (its possible but a far outside chance)[/QUOTE]

:eek: Truly Shocked! Thought you'd have sligo in there as well! Or was it just a typo?:D

finnpark
06/03/2008, 9:38 PM
Cobhs defence will be a major factor in their fight for survival. They have 2 of the quickest centre halves in the league, they are great in the air and have a quality keeper behind them. Up front Davin O'Neill is a cracking player and if he doesn't go to Forrest or Sunderland, his goals will prove vital.
Its going to be a real battle but its far from a foregone conclusion that Harps and Cobh will go gone.
Any 3 from, Bray, Harps, Cobh, UCD, Galway and maybe even Sham Rovers (its possible but a far outside chance)

Yes, I thinlk Shamrock will struggle this year.

Sam_Heggy
06/03/2008, 9:38 PM

:eek: Truly Shocked! Thought you'd have sligo in there as well! Or was it just a typo?:D

I couldn be arsed arguing tbh.

Maroon 7
06/03/2008, 10:05 PM
UCD, Cobh and either Harps or Bray.

don ramo
06/03/2008, 10:35 PM
harps, galway, ucd, bray, and ourselves, any of the 5 can be relegated tbh, i think we are been writen off to easily, the only person whos point of view id take would be pat dolans, as he is the only manager who has seen rams more than 3 time a season the last few years, constantly seen him at games,

i dont think we'll struggle as much as people expect, but the 3 down may catch us, as it will two others, but we won the first divison with a young squad (oldest player 28, average age around 20) that have tasted success, and they have been kept together for an assault on the prem, i dont mind been writen off by people who know, but a lot of people writeing us off dont know us, and couldnt name half or starting 11 if they tried, so they should really keep there mouths shut,

also i dont understand the odds for relegation we win the first divsion and get 200/1 ucd and bray get 150/1 and harp who finnished 2nd in the first get 80/1(source THE SUN) i dont understand:confused: who made up the odds,

also who is full time and who is part time this year were part time

Schumi
06/03/2008, 10:42 PM
also i dont understand the odds for relegation we win the first divsion and get 200/1 ucd and bray get 150/1 and harp who finnished 2nd in the first get 80/1(source THE SUN) i dont understand:confused: who made up the odds,Those are odds for the title I assume (some bookie's going broke if they're odds for relegation :)) and pretty meaningless as there's no chance of any of those teams winning the league. Most likely there's just been more money bet by deluded Harps fans.

Tis-smeee
06/03/2008, 10:46 PM
Also don ramo cobh know **** all about the premier ive seen ye twice last season and your ****ed

don ramo
Those are odds for the title I assume (some bookie's going broke if they're odds for relegation :)) and pretty meaningless as there's no chance of any of those teams winning the league. Most likely there's just been more money bet by deluded Harps fans.

ya there title odds sorry for not sayin that

Sam_Heggy
Those are odds for the title I assume (some bookie's going broke if they're odds for relegation :)) and pretty meaningless as there's no chance of any of those teams winning the league. Most likely there's just been more money bet by deluded Harps fans.

Nope, those were the odds posted before fixtures were even released. The fact we are full-time will (in the eyes of the bookie) give us the advantage over UCD, Bray and Cobh.

don ramo
06/03/2008, 10:47 PM
Also don ramo cobh know **** all about the premier ive seen ye twice last season and your ****ed

like i said in my post people who have seen us 3 times cant just write us off, plus we seem to be the best of a bad bunch, enjoy the graveyard;)
also you lot got relegated cause ye bought 5 of our rejects weve learned our lesson

Schumi
06/03/2008, 10:49 PM
Nope, those were the odds posted before fixtures were even released. The fact we are full-time will (in the eyes of the bookie) give us the advantage over UCD, Bray and Cobh.Probably just expecting more deluded Harps fans to put on bets so. ;)

don ramo
06/03/2008, 10:50 PM
Nope, those were the odds posted before fixtures were even released. The fact we are full-time will (in the eyes of the bookie) give us the advantage over UCD, Bray and Cobh.

could also get you into a lot of trouble at the same time sam, 3 down thats 25% chance of relegation

Sam_Heggy
06/03/2008, 11:00 PM
could also get you into a lot of trouble at the same time sam, 3 down thats 25% chance of relegation

You gotta take a gamble if you want to succeed. Last time we went up, we had virtually the same squad that won us the division and were embarresed in 90% of games. It was a harsh lesson but one that was taken on board. A first division squad will not save you and a full-time set up was our best option if we want to attract better players.

don ramo
06/03/2008, 11:09 PM
You gotta take a gamble if you want to succeed. Last time we went up, we had virtually the same squad that won us the division and were embarresed in 90% of games. It was a harsh lesson but one that was taken on board. A first division squad will not save you and a full-time set up was our best option if we want to attract better players.
i agree with you,
but
youve signed six, where did they come from, and how did they do with there previous club, i heard ye signed derrys 5th choice striker, thats about all i know,
one of yer fans was on this forum a month or so ago givin out about the lack of quality signed, and was told not to say anthing on here, to post it on yer own site, also as far as i know we are the only part time side in the division, so your up against 11 full-time teams, hard going,
i think a club will go bust this year from the strain of a full time setup, i really hope im wrong

LeixlipRed
06/03/2008, 11:17 PM
Afaik, there aint 11 full time teams in the Premier. UCD, Rovers, Bray? They're all part time aren't they?

don ramo
06/03/2008, 11:19 PM
Afaik, there aint 11 full time teams in the Premier. UCD, Rovers, Bray? They're all part time aren't they?

im unsure they have full time players from what ive heard, maybe not full time teams but do have full timers, i though rovers went full time altogether this year, i could be wrong

Tis-smeee
06/03/2008, 11:21 PM
like i said in my post people who have seen us 3 times cant just write us off, plus we seem to be the best of a bad bunch, enjoy the graveyard;)
also you lot got relegated cause ye bought 5 of our rejects weve learned our lesson

We got relegated because we were promoted with a week to go and werent prepared for the premier , sorry to burst your bubble, i could get petty and mention that you signed a winger who couldnt get a game for us last season but i wouldnt do that but i would mention your captain is a blues reject and at least two of our current squad rejected cobh on favour of 1st diision football next season, what does that say about cobh, id like to see ye do well but the reality is ye wont

LeixlipRed
06/03/2008, 11:22 PM
Yeh but we have full time players too. And so do half the 1st division. A fully full time club has a huge advantage. Just because half your squad doesn't have another job for the season doens't give you any particular advantage if you're not training together full time as a squad

A face
06/03/2008, 11:54 PM
I know Harps have made one or two good signings but i think it will be Harps, UCD and Bray. Just think that Rams have enough punch to stay up. Its going to be down to whoever can take scalps of the top of the table and Rams may just have that in them. Bray signed Rowe alright but they lost a few they relied on last year i think.

BrayUnknowns
07/03/2008, 12:23 AM
Personally i think it could be any of six teams to go down this season and it will go down to those 6 teams taking points off each other

Cobh - 1st time in the premier in a while and have made no signings of note and will struggle with the pace of the game and fitness of most teams. If Davin O'Neill gets injured or doesn't live up to the hype then forget about it, straight back down.

Harps - Will heavily depend on making Ballybofey a fortress, again not to many big signings and i know there have some good player but i just dn't think the quality in depth is there. Going full time should help them and give them more of a fighting chance.

UCD - i've always liked UCD but i really fear for them this season, lost probably their 3 best players. Quigley and Salmon are massive blows and they won't be able to replace them IMO. But we all say they will go down every year yet they rarely do... When teams move into a new stadium it normally take them a while to get used to it and if they get off to a bad start then i think there gone.

Galway - Did well to stay up last season, again they have a half decent squad but i think the signings they have made have been quite poor, no real quality or players that can change a game. Think Jay O'Shea scored 2 goals in a year and a half playing for us... Ca't see that changing just because his playing for Galway. doing everything rihgt off the field, if only more clubs sat up and took notice, but they will be involved in a relegation battle right up until the end.

Rovers - Had a super 1st season back in the premier last year, but it's always harder the 2nd time around. There squad is a bit lighter this year too, can't see them being caught up in it to much but stranger things have happened.

Sligo - Lost a few of their real stars from last season, player like that can't be replaced to easy. Went through a really poor patch last season at one stage, if they don't get off to a good start they could well be involved at the wrong end.

Bray - My beloved Bray... Out of the teams that i think will be involved at the bottom, on paper i think we have made the best signings, but that's only on paper. We have had one of the best pre seasons i can remember but that means nothing... We do have real quality in our squad now, players like Cawley, Myler, Pender, McCabe, Duggan, Rowe, Whelan, Doherty, Kavanagh and Tresson all have more than enough quality and experience to make it a very good season for Bray IMO. Delaney is a big loss but in saying that he was out suspened every couple of weeks for us. Out of the players we released i think the only one we will miss is Steve Williams, the rest were only average squad player, the lads we have brought in are far superior players. It will be down to our home form...

6. Rovers
7. Bray
8. Sligo
9. Galway
10. Harps
11. UCD
12. Cobh

Well before a ball has been kicked that's how i see it... but what do i know !

Redie
07/03/2008, 8:48 AM
Originally posted BrayUnknowns
Sligo - Lost a few of their real stars from last season, player like that can't be replaced to easy.

Can you the 'stars' you have in mind.

Mr A
07/03/2008, 8:56 AM
I think Sligo's biggest worry will be keeping the show on the road financially. Big enough losses last season and money owed to the taxman- could soon come back to haunt them if they hit a sticky patch this season.

gustavo
07/03/2008, 8:56 AM
Probably Turner and Hooch , I mean Hughes
. Though Turner left in July and we were on good form even after he left.

GuisaSaigon
07/03/2008, 9:05 AM
Cobh, UCDD and Shligo for the drop, I reckon.

superfrank
07/03/2008, 9:23 AM
Imo, UCD are the only team that will definitely go down. They seem to have done the least over the winter. With another two spots in the First up for grabs, I think any two of Bray, Harps, Cobh and Galway will join them.

Macy
07/03/2008, 9:39 AM
With 3 down, relatively decent teams will be pulled into the battle. The part time v full time aspect can be overplayed - it still needs to be better players, and that isn't necessarily the case, as last season showed.

Cobh straight down, then two of anyone in the bottom half really could find themselves down. Premier team in the playoff to lose this year as well.

Mr A
07/03/2008, 9:45 AM
There is no playoff this year. Ye have to win the first to get up.

ForzaWexford
07/03/2008, 9:50 AM

Feck it anyway. Makes our task even harder. :p

placid casual
07/03/2008, 11:55 AM
reckon finn harps ,cobh and sligo to go down.

Macy
07/03/2008, 11:59 AM
Oops, not really paying attention, as given the cash being splashed by others in the first wasn't expecting us to be serious challengers.

pineapple stu
07/03/2008, 12:27 PM
Relegation on offer from the First as well now, don't forget.

Although my money's on the teams in the A league not being strong enough to win a play off.

Titan
07/03/2008, 12:37 PM
We are fully part time!;)

DmanDmythDledge
07/03/2008, 12:42 PM
also as far as i know we are the only part time side in the division, so your up against 11 full-time teams, hard going,
i think a club will go bust this year from the strain of a full time setup, i really hope im wrong
Pulling stuff out of your arse as usual. There are 7 full time clubs in the league. Getting sick of all the Cobh fans and there us against them mentality, going mad and taking insult when pundits tip them to be last- sure they being biased against "little Cobh", they don't actually believe that they will finish last.:rolleyes:

jebus
07/03/2008, 12:42 PM
Cobh, Bray and one from UCD/Galway

Kildare to finish bottom of the First, but win the playoff against whoever

amjl
07/03/2008, 3:50 PM
My predictions:
Premier Division:
UCD
Harps
Cobh

First Division:
Kildare

bellavistaman
07/03/2008, 5:14 PM
We got relegated because we were promoted with a week to go and werent prepared for the premier , sorry to burst your bubble, i could get petty and mention that you signed a winger who couldnt get a game for us last season but i wouldnt do that but i would mention your captain is a blues reject and at least two of our current squad rejected cobh on favour of 1st diision football next season, what does that say about cobh, id like to see ye do well but the reality is ye wont

dave warren badly wanted to sign with us this year but hendo didnt want him. FACT my man, FACT. We beat ye last year also. Alan Carey is better than your captain (Ramblers reject, the invisible man) Mr. Hayes, ye signed two rams rejects also last year bruton and brosie, so dont go thinking yere all high and mighty, down there like.