PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Squad for Holland Match

James
22/08/2001, 4:29 PM
...and suprise suprise no Glenn Crowe. Maybe Mccarthy was in the cross last Sunday and was taking his advice from the Shed.

the full squad is
Republic of Ireland squad: Given (Newcastle United), A Kelly (Blackburn Rovers), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Doherty (Spurs), Dunne (Manchester City), Harte (Leeds United), G Kelly (Leeds United), O’Brien (Newcastle United), Staunton (Aston Villa), Carsley (Coventry City), Finnan (Fulham), Holland (Ipswich Town), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Kennedy (Wolves), Kilbane (Sunderland), McAteer (Blackburn Rovers), Reid (Millwall), Connolly (Wimbledon), Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Robbie Keane (Leeds United), Morrison (Crystal Palace), Quinn (Sunderland).

pete
23/08/2001, 10:18 AM
This confirms my suspicions that McCarthy is far too cosy with Milwall & is losing the plot a bit.

He puts in Reid (has played 2 1st division games) instead of McPhail (plays for Leeds in the English Premiership, has played in the Champions League etc...) I didn't see Reid play last week & wouldn't say McPhail is the greatest player ever but the facts speak for themselves don't they?

Does anyone have a reason for Mick playing Andy O'Brien instead of Doherty last week? Surely he should have played players that had a reasonable chance of playing against Holland? It is the make or break game!

:confused:

Other than that its a very thin squad & really shows how we are really lacking strength in depth.

Schumi
23/08/2001, 3:53 PM
He played quite well against Croatia but looked better because he was the only one putting in much effort. I would have thought that McPhail would have been a better choice.

Gerry Desmond
23/08/2001, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by rebel
[B

Does anyone have a reason for Mick playing Any O'Brien instead of Doherty last week? [/B]

I think he's entitled to play ANY O'Brien he wishes... :)

Gerry

Brine
27/08/2001, 9:40 PM
Louis van Gaal is selecting players like Pee van Hooijdonk and Danny Landzaat, so I'm not quite sure about the Dutch "strength and depth" either.