PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think are the most overrated members of the Irish squad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Plastic Paddy
06/03/2008, 6:21 PM
Dangerous question... but for goalkeepers I had issues with Nick Colgan. He never struck me as a safe pair of hands, despite a good recent spell with Barnsley. I can only surmise that he was excellent in training because there are a few young keepers who have been denied IMO a deserved squad place by his continued retention. In the last couple of years I think that Shane Supple could really have benefitted from a call-up in Colgan's stead. Nine caps in nine years tells its own story.

:ball: PP

eirebhoy
06/03/2008, 6:33 PM
McShane is far from overrated. Very few fans and very few in the media rate him.

Ireland would not be getting his game for Man City if he went "missing" during games. Nakamura gets the same criticism in Scotland even though in most games he plays more passes than anyone in the Celtic team.

NeilMcD
06/03/2008, 7:15 PM
I think Hunt is overrated by Ireland fans.

jmurphyc
06/03/2008, 7:45 PM
Ireland's the other way. Missing from the game for 89 minutes and sparks some brilliance for a single moment. I feel any game Ireland plays we're assured to lose the midfield battle as he can't hold on to the ball or pass it well at all. Same for Man City, he needs 2 central midfielders beside him just to support him.

Whilst I would agree that Ireland probably was a bit overrated when he was playing for us (I can't comment on his Man City form because I see very few of their games) I think his passing is top notch. It's one of the best aspects of his game. If Trapattoni can use him correctly he could be excellent for us and help to unlock organised or packed defences.

Superhoops
06/03/2008, 8:10 PM
This is a no brainer. John O'Shea by miles.

NeilMcD
06/03/2008, 8:22 PM
John O Shea, is shouted at and abused by most Irish fans so I dont think he is overrated. Most fans think he is terrible for us.

stojkovic
06/03/2008, 8:32 PM
I think Hunt is overrated by Ireland fans.

I dont think he is overrated by fans.

I think the fans know his limitations but admire his fighting spirit and aggression which is seriously lacking in the team.

Similar to the likes of say a Davey Langan, would you agree ?

NeilMcD
06/03/2008, 8:58 PM
Ok maybe Irish fans fans overrated fighting spirit and aggression.

sligoman
06/03/2008, 9:03 PM
Robbie Keane(he's very good but doesn't produce it for his country) and Damien Duff.

hoops1
06/03/2008, 9:03 PM
Shay Given

Greenforever
06/03/2008, 9:15 PM
Robbie Keane(he's very good but doesn't produce it for his country) and Damien Duff.

Robbies goal average is 0.40 goals per game in the premiership and 0.41 goals per game for Ireland and for Ireland he plays much deeper, yes at times I could throttle him, but he's our top scored by a distance

Duffer has been injured permanently for years now so thats a little unfair!

Most overrated manager Roy Keane:D

Most underrated Manager Stan :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
06/03/2008, 10:03 PM
Shay Given

Are you mad he has saved us many of a time. An absolute legend of a player for us. Very rarely makes a mistake.

Risteard
06/03/2008, 10:04 PM
John O'Shea.
Of all the attributes of a footballer, he seems to have fitness.

Paddy Garcia
06/03/2008, 10:05 PM
Hunt & McShane

Ash
06/03/2008, 10:07 PM
Dangerous question... but for goalkeepers I had issues with Nick Colgan. He never struck me as a safe pair of hands, despite a good recent spell with Barnsley.

Didnt think anyone rated Colgan ... although was never sure why he kept making
the squad at the expense of younger keepers who could have taken something
from the experience even if they were only 3rd choice in the squad.

livehead1
06/03/2008, 10:11 PM
I think when you're judging who is overrated it very much depends on by whom. ie. overrated by the media, by the fans or indeed by the manager.

Theres loads of players who perform for their club but in recent times have failed to produce for country.

With the danger of been banned from the board may I suggest that the fact that Kevin Kilbane has 80 odd caps for us demonstrates our standing.

stojkovic
06/03/2008, 10:27 PM
With the danger of been banned from the board may I suggest that the fact that Kevin Kilbane has 80 odd caps for us demonstrates our standing.

I'll gladly get banned with you.

boovidge
06/03/2008, 10:33 PM
Hunt. I think he's so popular because he's a character though.

stojkovic
06/03/2008, 10:37 PM
Hunt. I think he's so popular because he's a character though.

Neil McD wouldnt agree with you.

Qwerty
06/03/2008, 10:40 PM
John O'Shea was overrated when he first came on the scene, he was the new Paul McGrath :rolleyes:, now we know he is an average player and is no longer overrated.

Putting aside club performances I would ask what has Steven Reid ever done for Ireland yet he is lauded on this board.

I think we overrate Andy Reid.

Finnan is a bit overrated for Ireland and Liverpool come to that.

I really don't think we overrate very many players though to be honest.

NeilMcD
06/03/2008, 10:41 PM
I totally agree about Hunt, he is like a cult icon amongst the fans.

Junior
06/03/2008, 11:12 PM
22 posts and no mention of McGeady;)

Andy Reid for me. Obvious talent just havent seen that much of it for (for Ireland or on tv for his clubs) fans to be talking about building a team around him.

S Hunt - defintely overrated by the fans IMO. Jaysus the reaction from the crowd when he came on in Wales was unblievable - the messiah!!!!

stojkovic
06/03/2008, 11:18 PM
22 posts and no mention of McGeady;)

Its not worth it.

geysir
06/03/2008, 11:42 PM
Aiden is the 7th son of a 7th son.

Greenforever
06/03/2008, 11:57 PM
Are you mad he has saved us many of a time. An absolute legend of a player for us. Very rarely makes a mistake.

And his old man is one of our best supporters :D

RivaldoBabb
07/03/2008, 3:21 AM
This is a no brainer. John O'Shea by miles.

Who on this forum rates John O'Sh1te?! Isnt it common knowledge that he is Irelands and Man Uniteds Phil Neville, in that he plugs gaps unspectacularly in various positions? Hes also a waster who might have developed into a good central defender if he moved from Man-ure to play regularly in that position.

Stephen Ireland is the most overrated player in our squad, he definantly doesnt warrant the hype that goes with him.

eirebhoy
07/03/2008, 8:04 AM
Robbie Keane(he's very good but doesn't produce it for his country) and Damien Duff (he's very good for his country but doesn't produce it for his club).

;)

jbyrne
07/03/2008, 8:09 AM
Who on this forum rates John O'Sh1te?! Isnt it common knowledge that he is Irelands and Man Uniteds Phil Neville, in that he plugs gaps unspectacularly in various positions? Hes also a waster who might have developed into a good central defender if he moved from Man-ure to play regularly in that position.

i can see oshea playing ctre half for us under the new management and i reckon with the right guidance he'll do ok there. gets too much critisism from some on here imo

as_i_say
07/03/2008, 8:24 AM
Hell the whole team is over-rated at this stage!

Morbo
07/03/2008, 8:30 AM
Duff performs better for his country than his club, he may not be quite the player he was 5 years ago but that is due to injuries and at the time he deserved all the plaudits he got.

For me its S.Ireland by a mile, Finnan for me never really reproduced his club form for Ireland not for the last few years anyway, McGeady is overrated by some but also underrated by others he is a very good prospect but still has a lot to prove.
Not too long ago people were calling for I.Harte to be brought back at LB for his set pieces alone despite the fact that he is absolute muck as a defender, he was always overrated IMO, scored us a few goals but cost us quite a few too

BigmanCas
07/03/2008, 8:49 AM
Irelands over rated - Top 10

1. Stephan Hunt
2. Stephan Ireland
3. Stephan Kelly
4. Paul Mc Shane
5. Andy O Brien (all of a sudden?)
6. Stephan Reid (yet to see him play in a green shirt)
7. Anthony Stokes (will he ever take his finger out?)
8. Clinton Morrison (scoring goals at mo?)
9. Owen Garvan (saviour with no caps?)
10. James Mc Carthy (a teenager at the accies?)

Kingdom
07/03/2008, 9:15 AM
Dare I say nobody? I don't think we over-rate any of our players truth be told. Stephen Hunt isn't rated by any fan, but as Neil rightly said, he is a cult icon among us. whether that is appropriate or not is another matter.
As for your list BigmanCas are you having a bit o craic or what.
If anything Andy O'Brien is one of the despised players eligible to us, which I find ridiculous , considering he was in my top 2 players in our WC06 group.
If I was forced to select one player of the current group that a tiny proportion of our supporters unjustifiably hype up it would have to be Aiden Mc. He is starting to fulfill promise for us now, so I'd be more inclined to propose nobody.
Also just for hysterics I'd claim that Stephen Ireland couldn't be nominated as he's not currently involved with the National team. :D

paul_oshea
07/03/2008, 9:22 AM
bMC you have still to see reid, what age are ye?! that would make a lot of sense for some of your posts... :D

I will agree that the Irish fans overrate Hunt, I think in the longer term, he will turn out to be another kilbane. He is quite average but he gets stuck in and relieves the defense in pressure situations, which with the way we have been playing recently away from home that helps immensely.

Its not AOB all of a sudden BMC, its that we are very limited and we require someone of his ability at the moment, given the fact we dont have any better players, if we had 3 richard dunnes then no one would want OBrien back.

I fear in the next 10 years how poor our team is going to be.....there is probably going to be no one in the top four in the premiership and a lot more in the championship, unless clubs in the EL build ties with foreign clubs, or we create a school of excellence or something with ties to foreign clubs. The premiership is going to be more foreign and English concentrated with less chances for Irish lads....

Kingdom great post. I think Ireland is over-rated slightly alright, buut he still manages to pop in situations - where our strikers should be i might add - where no one else in the Ireland team does, and scores, 4 times cant be lucky, and his finishing is exquisite.

Kingdom
07/03/2008, 9:31 AM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;892800]bMC you have still to see reid, what age are ye?! that would make a lot of sense for some of your posts... :D

I will agree that the Irish fans overrate Hunt, I think in the longer term, he will turn out to be another kilbane. He is quite average but he gets stuck in and relieves the defense in pressure situations, which with the way we have been playing recently away from home that helps immensely.

Its not AOB all of a sudden BMC, its that we are very limited and we require someone of his ability at the moment, given the fact we dont have any better players, if we had 3 richard dunnes then no one would want OBrien back.

I fear in the next 10 years how poor our team is going to be.....there is probably going to be no one in the top four in the premiership and a lot more in the championship, unless clubs in the EL build ties with foreign clubs, or we create a school of excellence or something with ties to foreign clubs. The premiership is going to be more foreign and English concentrated with less chances for Irish lads....

Kingdom great post. I think Ireland is over-rated slightly alright, buut he still manages to pop in situations - where our strikers should be i might add - where no one else in the Ireland team does, and scores, 4 times cant be lucky, and his finishing is exquisite.

QUOTE]

Paul, I wasn't saying Ireland is overrated, I was saying he shouldn't be mentioned at all till he's back playing![/

I wouldn't worry about the future of the Senior team. More and more promising youngsters are coming through. Paramount to this is the continued improvement in the domestic league. I've come round to this way of thinking. Truth be told I'd actively discourage young fellas joining the likes of United Arsenal and Liverpool unless they are truely exceptional. I'm talking Messi exceptional as opposed to Stokes exceptional here! thinking back to when i was a schoolboy and the amount of genuinely regular players who went to England, its not funny.

ifk101
07/03/2008, 9:36 AM
unless clubs in the EL build ties with foreign clubs, or we create a school of excellence or something with ties to foreign clubs.

That's an awful suggestion Paul. That's the last thing the domestic game needs.

paul_oshea
07/03/2008, 9:49 AM
That's an awful suggestion Paul. That's the last thing the domestic game needs.

Ya, I had a feeling that some mightn't like that, so maybe I should have qualified it a little more. Here is an example, I reckon Mick wallace ( i dont have a clue just a thought ) could have contacts with a few italian clubs, and if a young fella came through that he rated highly, he would probably keep him at the youths for a good while, maybe arrange a trial with some italian club, if he is successful keep him at youths for another while and develop and nurture the player, until he is ready for a bigger move. I think this would help develop players, not necessarily good for the league alright, a "brain" drain ( player drain in this case ) maybe, but maybe EL clubs could benefit the other way round too, if they had the money to pay wages for a young player on loan. It probably sounds a bit naieve, but I think it good be great for the Irish football team, how else are the players ever going to get out of the "lets go to england rut", cos lets face it if they are better than the rest of the players in the EL, they are going to leave, wouldn't it be better they got a chance somewhere continental as oppossed to staying around in England sitting warming the bench or whatever. The league has got a lot more to do firstly than just keep players at home, a lot more things to sort out before it can viably offer a player of above EL ability.

Kingdom, I knew you werent on about ireland, i just meant great post. i should have started another paragraph.

amjl
07/03/2008, 9:53 AM
Aiden is the 7th son of a 7th son.

I'd be more impressed if he scored 7 goals in 7 games!!! :)

Morbo
07/03/2008, 9:56 AM
Truth be told I'd actively discourage young fellas joining the likes of United Arsenal and Liverpool unless they are truely exceptional. I'm talking Messi exceptional as opposed to Stokes exceptional here!
In Stokes case I think joining Arsenal helped him, I think Arsenal is probably the best place for a young player to go to improve as a player even if they will never be good enough for the starting XI

gustavo
07/03/2008, 10:01 AM
Hunt too , "fighting spirit" and "passion" do not an international quality player make,Worth a place in the squad probably though

shakermaker1982
07/03/2008, 10:03 AM
why don't we just name the whole team? Captain included?

Dr. Ogba
07/03/2008, 10:09 AM
John O'Shea was overrated when he first came on the scene, he was the new Paul McGrath :rolleyes:, now we know he is an average player and is no longer overrated.

Putting aside club performances I would ask what has Steven Reid ever done for Ireland yet he is lauded on this board.

I think we overrate Andy Reid.

Finnan is a bit overrated for Ireland and Liverpool come to that.

I really don't think we overrate very many players though to be honest.

Totally agree about the Steven Reid comment, but saying that he's only played for us out of position so i'm still willing to be proven wrong.

Agree on Finnan, don't think his loss will really affect us that much.

Not so much on Andy Reid though...

Kingdom
07/03/2008, 10:20 AM
Kingdom, I knew you werent on about ireland, i just meant great post. i should have started another paragraph.

Thanking you.

For anyone who is interested, the current issue of fourfourtwo, while continuing the slide from decent footie mag, to deplorable rag, has a good article on Barca's academy, and while it may not compare with anything that could be done in this country its still a good article.

In my opinion and while I wouldn't have the time to commit to doing something about it currently, the schoolboy soccer situation in the country is depressing. Utterly depressing. Bar the loi teams that now field schoolboy teams

Wangball
07/03/2008, 10:23 AM
I don't think its a case of any of our players being over rated its more a case fo the team on a whole under achieving

They're all good players, some could be considered to be great players, if they weren;t they wouldn't be getting paid the fortunes they get

Richard Dunne aside there's not a single player who consistently plays to his potential when he pulls on the jersey Ireland

Stephen Hunt isn't over rated either, he's over hyped, everyone knows he's a limited player but he gets lauded for running around like a headless chicken and running his stupid mouth off

BigmanCas
07/03/2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think its a case of any of our players being over rated its more a case fo the team on a whole under achieving

They're all good players, some could be considered to be great players, if they weren;t they wouldn't be getting paid the fortunes they get

Richard Dunne aside there's not a single player who consistently plays to his potential when he pulls on the jersey Ireland

Stephen Hunt isn't over rated either, he's over hyped, everyone knows he's a limited player but he gets lauded for running around like a headless chicken and running his stupid mouth off
Shay Given is the best Goalkeeper in the world

lionelhutz
07/03/2008, 10:34 AM

Stephen Ireland is the most overrated player in our squad, he definantly doesnt warrant the hype that goes with him.

Thats such a harsh comment on Phil Neville. He's playing great stuff with Everton

BigmanCas
07/03/2008, 10:35 AM
And he set up a goal with his first touch :rolleyes:

This board seems to be very anti-Hunt which is odd. In the premiership aside from Dunne and Keane he's been the best Irish performer this year. Crucially actually being a player who's commanded his team. Maybe Dunne but other than that how many Irish players can you say are the Key members of their team?

At international level he's done fine. Some average performances, some great performances. I don't think he's underrated.

He has no ability - reminds me a bit of Kaorl Proborsky - like a blinkered racehorse - identifies the corner flag and runs for it. Commanded a team? Blind leading the blind more like. Finnan, Given, Murphy all are playing great stuff with their respective clubs.

eirebhoy
07/03/2008, 10:37 AM
More often than not he's one of our best performers. More often than not he's one of his clubs best performers. Bar his time at Spurs really.

lionelhutz
07/03/2008, 10:41 AM
Totally agree about the Steven Reid comment, but saying that he's only played for us out of position so i'm still willing to be proven wrong.

Agree on Finnan, don't think his loss will really affect us that much.

I couldn't disagree more with that comment. Finnan is the best full back we've had since Denis Irwin was in his prime and now we have a Birmingham right full with no sense of positioning to replace him. Ya we won't miss him at all.....................

Kelly will be in the chamionship next season whether Birmingham get relegated or not. McLeish will get rid of him if they stay up

eirebhoy
07/03/2008, 10:50 AM
Kelly will be in the chamionship next season whether Birmingham get relegated or not. McLeish will get rid of him if they stay up
What makes you think that? The fans rate Kelly as one of their better players. He's played more games than any Birmingham player this season. He did well at centre half against Arsenal too.

ifk101
07/03/2008, 10:51 AM
Finnan is a much better player than Kelly - no question about that. But I don't think Kelly is an automatic choice for us in that position following Finnan's retirement. Joey O'Brien and JOSH are better options for right full back than Stephen Kelly IMO.