PDA

View Full Version : Stockport County's Pixel Sale

cornerflag
06/03/2008, 12:29 PM
Stockport County have come up with a very good idea to raise some cash. They are selling 1,000,000 pixels for a pound each to raise money to buy back their ground.

From Stockport website: (http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10419~1257179,00.html)

GROUND FOR A POUND:
Fans-owned Football League club Stockport County have launched an ambitious scheme to buy back Edgeley Park.

County lost ownership of the stadium, their spiritual home since 1902, when Cheshire Sport purchased the club in 2002.

However, as part of the deal which saw the club bought by the fans in 2005, there is an eight-year option to buy back the stadium and, having secured an offer of a mortgage, need to raise a £1m deposit.

To help them achieve their ambition County have today launched a pixel sale website and are appealing to football Fans worldwide to show their support.

And, as an added encouragement, they have introduced a pixel prize draw, where the lucky winner will given the honour of having a stand at the stadium named after them.

County's Managing Director, Mark Maguire, said: "The only way to guarantee the long-term future for the club is to own its stadium.

"We have a fantastic chance of achieving this if we can raise the deposit, and we hope that fans all over the world will show their support by committing a pound for a pixel."

On the prize draw he added: "It's a unique offer, someone, somewhere in the world could end up having a stand at a Football League club named after them for a pound!

"And, honestly, anybody who's prepared to help us deserves the chance of recognition like this.

It's an extra incentive and an added bonus, we will simply enter all the pixels sold into a random selection, and the owner of the chosen pixel will be the winner.

We will invite them to Edgeley Park for a naming ceremony and they will have free tickets to their stand for life."

The web address is www.groundforapound.com (http://www.groundforapound.com)

I think the same idea could work for an ELOI club to raise some funds. the possibility of having a stand named after you would be all the incentive i would need to purchase a few pixels.

What you think of the idea?

thischarmingman
06/03/2008, 12:36 PM
It's clearly going quite well judging by the response:

"Due to the overwhelming number of people visiting the groundforapound.com website over the past 24 hours we have hit the limits of the shared server we were hosting on. The support from football fans all around the world has been superb.

The good news is that we are transferring to a new dedicated server which will provide a better on-line experience for people wanting to purchase pixles and help us reach the goal of 1 million pixel sales.

Please make sure you visit back to the site and support our goal in raising £1 million for a deposit to buy back the home of Stockport County Football Club - Edgeley Park."

jebus
06/03/2008, 12:37 PM
Forgive me, but what's a pixel when it isn't the type of pixel to do with digital cameras etc.?

cornerflag
06/03/2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah i guess the idea works on this principle
http://www.texmedia.de/million-dollar-script.htm

scottish_bohs
06/03/2008, 2:57 PM
they've sold almost 3,700 at the moment.

jebus
06/03/2008, 3:09 PM
Forgive me, but what's a pixel when it isn't the type of pixel to do with digital cameras etc.?

Just realised it is the pixels I thought it was, have to say that's a dumbass idea, wouldn't see many people in Ireland forking out for that, even if it meant the chance to have your name in lights

Ambaiste!
06/03/2008, 3:13 PM
A million is very ambitious IMO, why not charge 2 quid per pixel and you'd only need half the amount of people. A small difference and it would be done in half the time.

John83
06/03/2008, 3:17 PM
A million is very ambitious IMO, why not charge 2 quid per pixel and you'd only need half the amount of people. A small difference and it would be done in half the time.
The idea is that you don't buy a pixel, you buy 10x10 and put in a smiley, or 50x20 and put in your company logo. It fills up fast that way.

Not very original, but worth a punt. Good luck to them.

Battery Rover
06/03/2008, 3:51 PM

well it has been done before

http://milliondollarhomepage.com/

Blue-Army
07/03/2008, 1:08 PM
they've sold almost 3,700 at the moment.39,700 actually....:cool:

Ambaiste!
07/03/2008, 1:27 PM
The idea is that you don't buy a pixel, you buy 10x10 and put in a smiley, or 50x20 and put in your company logo. It fills up fast that way.

Not very original, but worth a punt. Good luck to them.

Now I get it, that makes a lot more sense. I think it's a great idea, best of luck to them!

Mad Moose
07/03/2008, 9:30 PM
Know a Stockport County fan I'm due to catch up with shortly. Going over to Edgeley Park in May to catch up and see them.

Managed by former Shels and Dundalk man Jim Gannon he hasn't done to badly. I think former UCD man Gary Dicker is there and they have been looking at Shamrock Rovers players. Massey was one anyhow.

Not sure about the pxel sale though. I hope it works though.

DmanDmythDledge
07/03/2008, 11:24 PM
Managed by former Shels and Dundalk man Jim Gannon he hasn't done to badly. I think former UCD man Gary Dicker is there and they have been looking at Shamrock Rovers players. Massey was one anyhow.
Yeah, Dicker's over there. Doing well enough, featuring regualrly anyway. They also have Leon McSweeney, who was with Cork last season.

galwayhoop
10/03/2008, 10:45 AM
its a great idea, but what has it to do with the eircom League???