PDA

View Full Version : Eligible but exempt...

dr_peepee
06/03/2008, 11:53 AM
Can anyone confirm the criteria that excludes someone declaring for Ireland please. It's all become a bit blurred for me since that window option and Tim Cahill samoa thing.

Is it any competitve appearences at any level for another country whatsover prevents eligable players declaring?? Or is it only up to a certain age??

There was talk last night between Brady and Bill about getting commitment from eligable but not yet commited players. I was just wondering who it could be..

Don't want the whole plastic paddy sh!te again, {not you PP:D} or the whole what it means to be Irish lark... just the criteria if any of ye know it for certain, please.

cornerflag
06/03/2008, 12:40 PM
will this help answer your question?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3523266.stm

tetsujin1979
06/03/2008, 12:42 PM
I think that if you have played underage football for a country, you can change allegiance up to your 21st birthday, but not after that. Jamie O'Hara is a recent example of this, he played U-17 football for England, turned 21 and now can never play for the Republic, despite not having featured for the English senior team
I think that if you have not played international football at any underage level, you can declare for any country after your 21st birthday, but I can't think of any Irish examples of this off hand. Think there may have been someone who declared for Scotland.

dr_peepee
06/03/2008, 1:53 PM
Cheers..

So "potentially" there are a couple of U21 internationals that could be persuaded??...

Mmmmm..!!!

Plastic Paddy
06/03/2008, 5:48 PM
Can anyone confirm the criteria that excludes someone declaring for Ireland please. It's all become a bit blurred for me since that window option and Tim Cahill samoa thing.

Is it any competitve appearences at any level for another country whatsover prevents eligable players declaring?? Or is it only up to a certain age??

There was talk last night between Brady and Bill about getting commitment from eligable but not yet commited players. I was just wondering who it could be..

Don't want the whole plastic paddy sh!te again, {not you PP:D} or the whole what it means to be Irish lark... just the criteria if any of ye know it for certain, please.

Thanks Doc... you had me worried there for a moment!

I think that any competitive senior appearances for anyone else exclude players of any age from switching allegiance, but competitive under-age (ie u21 and below) appearances for someone else do not, so long as the player is 21 or below at the time of their switched declaration. If a player is over 21 and has played for another FA at any age group then they categorically cannot change national allegiance.

Clear as mud, no? :confused:

:ball: PP

Plastic Paddy
06/03/2008, 5:52 PM
Cheers..

So "potentially" there are a couple of U21 internationals that could be persuaded??...

Mmmmm..!!!

I don't think that there's anyone good enough to prostitute ourselves for. Neil Kilkenny, Matthew Kilgallon; you had your chance and blew it. No matter.

I am, of course, still available for selection should I be needed, Signor Trap. :o :D

tetsujin1979
06/03/2008, 6:41 PM
Neil Kilkenny, Matthew Kilgallon; you had your chance and blew it. No matter.
Don't think Kilgallon was ever approached to play for Ireland, are you thinking of Matthew Connolly?

Plastic Paddy
06/03/2008, 9:16 PM
Don't think Kilgallon was ever approached to play for Ireland, are you thinking of Matthew Connolly?

No Tets, deffo Kilgallon; both of whose parents hail from Carlow IIRC. He was approached when Kerr was boss but said no. Last heard of rotting in the Blunts' reserves. I'm sure the resident Wendys will be laughing through gritted teeth at that one.

Matthew Connolly is of course another story. Not that I can remember it.

tetsujin1979
06/03/2008, 11:58 PM
No Tets, deffo Kilgallon; both of whose parents hail from Carlow IIRC. He was approached when Kerr was boss but said no. Last heard of rotting in the Blunts' reserves. I'm sure the resident Wendys will be laughing through gritted teeth at that one.

Matthew Connolly is of course another story. Not that I can remember it.

Fair enough, didn't know that about Kilgallon. Was highly rated at Leeds.
Connolly was called into an U-19 squad when he was at Arsenal, but pulled out of it, and played for England U-19's less than a year later.

OwlsFan
27/01/2017, 1:10 PM
Fair enough, didn't know that about Kilgallon. Was highly rated at Leeds.
Connolly was called into an U-19 squad when he was at Arsenal, but pulled out of it, and played for England U-19's less than a year later.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but it caught my eye.

No mention of Connolly playing for the England U-19 squad on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Connolly Is it the case of once asked, twice shy ?

Surprised at Kilgallon with 2 Irish parents !!