PDA

View Full Version : Galway Fine Fat Players

Pages : [1] 2

finnpark
05/03/2008, 11:59 PM
Galway United have imposed a €20 fine per pound per week for every pound a player is above their target weight. :D

Tony Cousins will owe them a lot of money :D

Their moto is:

"That kabahb or McDonagh's take away will no longer cost €5, it will now cost €40"

SPXcyan
06/03/2008, 12:40 AM
haha!! thats too feckin funny!!

SolitudeRed
06/03/2008, 1:33 AM
:D Is this just another money making ploy by yer man Leeson?

gufcfan
06/03/2008, 1:48 AM
Good thing I don't play for them, but then again, there was never any danger of that...

Where did ye get that from FunnPawrk?

Dodge
06/03/2008, 7:00 AM
Don't see a problem with it. Full time professional footballers should be looking after their body

beautifulrock
06/03/2008, 8:44 AM
I thought this said "Galway find fat players" was then thinking they wouldnt have too look too hard :)

sliced pan
06/03/2008, 8:56 AM
Good to see an old Irish Brehon law coming back, in old Ireland before these british laws young men where taxed on being overweight.

GuisaSaigon
06/03/2008, 8:57 AM
Haven't got McDonaghs for €5 in a long time! Nick Leeson has another money making idea - sign Keith Foy, his fat fines will guarantee a steady income all season :D

jebus
06/03/2008, 8:59 AM
Johnny Lester must be outraged!! :D

gufct
06/03/2008, 9:12 AM
I thought this said "Galway find fat players" was then thinking they wouldnt have too look too hard :)

You obviously havent seen our squad this season. They were all given personal training programmes for the close season and have been on strict diets under fitness trainer and physio Fergal Geraghty.

Its strange that people actually want our league to be more professional but make a joke of a club that tries to be.

Schumi
06/03/2008, 9:19 AM
Monaghan players are lucky they don't have this regime. :D

finnpark
06/03/2008, 9:37 AM
Good thing I don't play for them, but then again, there was never any danger of that...

Where did ye get that from FunnPawrk?

From a good source ;). Pre season started a few weeks ago (2 I think) and they were all weighed at the time with target weights set and they were all re-weighed yesterday. Looking at Wesley Charles I would say he a bit of way to go! :D

lofty9
06/03/2008, 9:40 AM
Kenny introduced this to Derry in his first preseason with us. I believe the fine was £100 per lb.

Ebmania
06/03/2008, 9:46 AM
Wonder how much Crowe would owe?

Lim till i die
06/03/2008, 10:03 AM
Very Savvy move by Leeson again

Getting Johnny Lester to pay for the first team squad will cut down the outgoings big time

gufct
06/03/2008, 10:06 AM
Very Savvy move by Leeson again

Getting Johnny Lester to pay for the first team squad will cut down the outgoings big time

Hate to burst your bubble but John Lester has lost over 3 stone in the last 2 seasons and would shock any Limerick Fan if he met them now.

jebus
06/03/2008, 10:19 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but John Lester has lost over 3 stone in the last 2 seasons and would shock any Limerick Fan if he met them now.

John Lester in just under 20st weigh in shocker!

Are you sure it's 3st though? Or was he just standing beside Wes Charles :D

RonnieB
06/03/2008, 10:22 AM
After one of Galways finest kebabs im about one stone lighter. I can give them the address if they want.

Claret Murph
06/03/2008, 10:24 AM

Dead right GUFCT , I saw Lester a couple of weeks ago and he has lost a huge amount of weight :)

Eire06
06/03/2008, 10:48 AM
Wesley Charles will be out of pocket seeing as he's 16stone
thats 24lbs overweight @ €20 per pound per week

poor fella has to pay €480 a week - he won't have much left out of his wages

L37Ultra
06/03/2008, 10:55 AM
Johnny Lester must be outraged!! :D

And broke!! :D

Lim till i die
06/03/2008, 11:09 AM

We kid.

We kid.

Bloody joyless Galway fans!!

Saw Johnny a couple of weeks ago.

Commented on just how much weight the guy had lost at the time, still slightly chunky for a full time pro though but having said that could just be the guys build.

John83
06/03/2008, 11:40 AM
How overweight is a footballer going to get over the off season? And how much weight can he reasonably expect to lose in pre-season, where he's building lean, heavy muscle as fast as he's losing fat? I can't imagine this is going to do much other than **** off a few players.

That, or the Galway squad's been remarkably unprofessional during the winter.

Jerry The Saint
06/03/2008, 12:12 PM
Was Nick Leeson inspired by the picture of Michael Keane in the Star's official league supplement during the week:confused:

Pat's had the shortest profile of all clubs due to the lack of available space on the page :(

KianD
06/03/2008, 12:31 PM
Wesley Charles will be out of pocket seeing as he's 16stone
thats 24lbs overweight @ €20 per pound per week

poor fella has to pay €480 a week - he won't have much left out of his wages

Ah sure, he'll starve with that little left

Wait, wasn't that the point? :p

galwayhoop
06/03/2008, 1:02 PM
How overweight is a footballer going to get over the off season? And how much weight can he reasonably expect to lose in pre-season, where he's building lean, heavy muscle as fast as he's losing fat? I can't imagine this is going to do much other than **** off a few players.

each player was paid during the 'off season' and given a training programme that they were told to do. as full time athletes this is what is expected. even during last season they were weighted weekly. Fergal Geraghty is now the fitness coach and from what I hear the guy is obsessive but not only does he talk the talk but he walks the walk. apparently there is no-one at the club fitter than Fergal who regularly runs marathons and won the Galway 10k last year!!

the argument about losing fat and replacing it with muscle holds no water (pardon the pun) as the players were weighted before the season ended and expected to return in relatively similar shape.

the risk of alienating players is a non-issue, if the players were part-time or semi-pro then maybe but not when they expect to make their livelihood from the game.

jebus
06/03/2008, 1:04 PM
the risk of alienating players is a non-issue, if the players were part-time or semi-pro then maybe but not when they expect to make their livelihood from the game.

Made me think that we can't be too far off a player suing their club for being 'fatist'. The European Council and the Sun would have a field day with a story like that

John83
06/03/2008, 1:29 PM
the argument about losing fat and replacing it with muscle holds no water (pardon the pun) as the players were weighted before the season ended and expected to return in relatively similar shape.
If they're already in the shape in which they finished last season, were they fat last year? Because they're not going to lose much weight in pre-season if they're already fit and undertaking further stamina training.

Also, pros get ****ed off with overbearing regimens and leave too.

galwayhoop
06/03/2008, 1:31 PM
Made me think that we can't be too far off a player suing their club for being 'fatist'. The European Council and the Sun would have a field day with a story like that

not really as a players body size, shape and condition are directly related with his ability to carry out his duties ergo a player being overweight is not being unfairly treated but fined as he is less able to carry out his duties.

the whole arena of European law being brought into sport (a lá bosman .. etc)is a worry though as you point out. issues like equal opportunities, sexism ... etc are potential minefields which hopefully do not crop up as they have in most other employment arenas.

Superhoops
06/03/2008, 1:33 PM
And for good measure the great Wes C could always throw in the line 'is it cos I is black?'. That would make a real story. :D

sligoman
06/03/2008, 1:36 PM
I'm not gay but do Galway have any fine players, let alone fat ones?

galwayhoop
06/03/2008, 1:40 PM
If they're already in the shape in which they finished last season, were they fat last year?
i didn't say they were in the 'same' shape on their return but expected to be in 'reletively similar shape' due to the amount of close season training required. the fines 'if true' are going off a players target weight. it would presumably be judged on an on-going basis and not just on the first day back training.
were the players fat last season? no, even big john lester had begun to shed a lot toward the end of the season.

Because they're not going to lose much weight in pre-season if they're already fit and undertaking further stamina training.

actually players who have kept themselves ticking over during the close-season, and have maintained their target weight, will probably gain weight as muscle weighs more than any fat built up. however if players have been eating kebabs and on the brews during the close season then they will indeed need to lose the pounds.

jebus
06/03/2008, 1:48 PM
the whole arena of European law being brought into sport (a lá bosman .. etc)is a worry though as you point out. issues like equal opportunities, sexism ... etc are potential minefields which hopefully do not crop up as they have in most other employment arenas.

Thats what I'm thinking, not too sure if it's legal for an employer to dictate to it's employees what level of fat they are allowed have

galwayhoop
06/03/2008, 1:56 PM
Thats what I'm thinking, not too sure if it's legal for an employer to dictate to it's employees what level of fat they are allowed have

fair point i suppose. however, presumably the amounts involved would not represent enough of a burden for a player to go down the legal route on it.

these are the reasons why i think that legal employment rights, within reason of course, should not apply as strictly to professional sport as other areas of employment. i mean if i drive a JCB then my weight will not effect my ability to work but if i'm a footballer it very well may. on the flip side of course if i am a medical sales rep and i do not keep myself turned out well then the likelihood is that my employer will show me the door.

WoodquayBoy
06/03/2008, 2:11 PM
Was Nick Leeson inspired by the picture of Michael Keane in the Star's official league supplement during the week(

No, byt the pic in today's Sun pull-out of Mark Leech in his Shels jersey., Good lord but the fella looks like he is partial to a cream bun or five, he has more chins than, well, we won't go there, but you can finish that for yourself . . . .

garyderry
06/03/2008, 3:48 PM
Also, pros get ****ed off with overbearing regimens and leave too.

Funny derry players seemed a lot more ****ed off with the regimes of Fenlon and Robertson where this type of regime didnt exist, and really happy with the Kenny regime, where fitness is number one.

If a prefessional sportsman doesnt want to stay at a club because he would have to stay fit, then the club is better off without them, if the league is to progress these are the actions that need to take place at all clubs.

L37Ultra
06/03/2008, 4:05 PM
do Galway have any fine players

Are you one of these guys by any chance? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=s0x237mo8Zg:D:p

sligoman
06/03/2008, 4:06 PM
Are you one of these guys by any chance? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=s0x237mo8Zg:D:pNo, luckily just the cameraman:D

deecay
06/03/2008, 4:38 PM
Are you one of these guys by any chance? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=s0x237mo8Zg:D:p
The bigger fella is my alter ego

gufcfan
06/03/2008, 5:46 PM
After one of Galways finest kebabs im about one stone lighter. I can give them the address if they want.

Your fine Ronnie, I think most of us Galweigans know where to get them...

gufcfan
06/03/2008, 5:49 PM
If a prefessional sportsman doesnt want to stay at a club because he would have to stay fit, then the club is better off without them, if the league is to progress these are the actions that need to take place at all clubs.

Well said, above all, the things that players have most control over are weight and fitness. Skill and ability are another kettle of fish altogether.

Why you wouldn't want to be at the top of your fitness, and give yourself the best chance of succeeding, in what is a short career in football, in relative terms, is beyond me.

rambler14
06/03/2008, 9:24 PM
Has John Lester been declared bankrupt yet?:D:D:D

Tis-smeee
06/03/2008, 10:31 PM
Even if lester did lose three stone its the equivelant of throwing a deckchair off the titanic

Paddyfield
06/03/2008, 10:39 PM

I think I know where you are talking about. Those Turkish lads who work there suggest that you wash down one of their kebabs with a mouthful of Dettol. This is so that while you are on the toilet answering nature's call, the bowl will be clean when you are eventually cleared out. Smells good too.

galwayhoop
07/03/2008, 10:07 AM
Even if lester did lose three stone its the equivelant of throwing a deckchair off the titanic

:D

brillant one.

reminds me of Rosanne Barr and Dan Arnold's divorce. She commented that his manhood was on the small side and his retort was that even a bus looks small in the grand canyon!!

sligoman
07/03/2008, 10:43 AM
Rosanne Barr and Dan Arnold's divorce.Tom Arnold;)

Mr_T
07/03/2008, 11:30 AM
Surely a comma is missing from the thread title!? ;)

Magicme
07/03/2008, 12:57 PM
I'm not gay but do Galway have any fine players, let alone fat ones?

Mister Lester. Fine.

mypost
07/03/2008, 5:04 PM
I take it all MCD and Supermacs advertising is banned too?? :confused::D

daniel
09/03/2008, 5:31 PM
This happens right throughout the country including Finn Harps!!