PDA

View Full Version : Best stadium in Ireland

Paddyfield
05/03/2008, 9:22 PM
UCD's manager Pete Mahon reckons Terryland Park is the best staium on Ireland. Read here>>>>>>

http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/news-centre/columnists/guest-columnist/pete-mahon/index.xml

'Clubs have to make people want to attend their games'
On Friday night, we take on Derry City at The UCD Bowl for the first match in our new stadium. The club was in Belfield Park for a long time and there are a lot of memories attached to it, but you can’t allow memories to halt progress.

In Belfield Park we were on the periphery of the campus, so much so that I think most students didn’t even know where the stadium was. Now we are right in the middle and that has to be seen as a hugely positive move. We all really hope that this move will lead to more students coming to our matches.

But it’s not just the location, the whole infrastructure is better in The UCD Bowl. The stand, the dressing rooms, the toilet facilities – the new stadium is a big improvement. The pitch is not as good quality as Belfield Park at the moment but that will change. The rugby team have one more game left on it and then we are bringing a UK-based company over to work on the pitch. By mid-April the pitch will be back to how we want it.

We are entering into a very positive era in the League of Ireland. This is the second year of the FAI’s five-year plan and it is an exciting time. Lots of clubs are planning new stadia – Finn Harps, Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, to name a few – and that is going to have a big effect. Other clubs have already made big improvements – the new stand in Terryland Park makes that the best stadium in the country, I think.

Clubs have to make people want to attend their games. If you build the facilities, they will come. As part of the UEFA Pro-Licence course, I was over at Charlton Athletic and that club really is the model for the League of Ireland: they are a community-based club in a fantastic stadium.

The product on the pitch is there, so we need to give spectators the modern facilities they require to get them into the matches.

There are so many positives in the league at the moment. We have a group of young managers with a very positive attitude on how the game should be played; we have better players coming into the league; and we have a very competitive league on the pitch. The future is very bright.

From UCD’s perspective, we know that this is going to be a tough season. We have lost a lot of players and the younger players are going to have to step-up. We thought we had the makings of a really good team when we had the likes of [Darren] Quigley, [Shane] McFaul, [Gary] Dicker and [Conor] Sammon but they have all moved on and the young lads now have the opportunity to show what they can do. They have won medals at Under-21 level, now it’s their time to step-up.

Every season we unearth young players but that is because we work very hard at it. We go to schoolboy games every weekend looking to bring the best players in and give them a platform to show their talent.

We have had our best ever pre-season. We have played six times and won five, conceding only one goal. We have picked-up no injuries and training has been very good so we are definitely looking forward to getting the season underway again.

Maroon 7
05/03/2008, 10:00 PM
I would think Turner's Cross is the best but Terryland is probably up there alright.

gufct
05/03/2008, 10:06 PM
Turners Cross is nice and the new shed end is excellent but the other covered stands arent a patch on the new stand and Turners Cross has no parking at all.

eamo1
05/03/2008, 11:40 PM
can you confirm that you wont be able to get into the new stand without a season ticket yes?i hope not so those dam kids wont be there.

finnpark
06/03/2008, 12:06 AM
Tolka Park is way ahead? and Turner's Cross?

Olander
06/03/2008, 12:10 AM
You've been in the first division for far too long, Tolka Park is falling down.

Maroon 7
06/03/2008, 1:00 AM

Tolka Park is in a fair old state of disrepair. At least it was last time I was there.

gufcfan
06/03/2008, 1:52 AM

Tis indeed. Should be demoshised before it falls over by itself.

Paddyfield
06/03/2008, 6:04 AM

Tolka is the new St Mel's.

Mr A
06/03/2008, 8:25 AM

That's weird, I could have sworn that Shels were in the first division... ;)

gufct
06/03/2008, 8:39 AM

Tolka Park is a deathtrap in parts even the new stand is gone to rack and ruin.Last time we were there there wasnt even lightbulbs in the jacks. Turners Cross probably would get the vote because of the seating capacity but the away section stand and the St. Anns end are very kippy.

WoodquayBoy
06/03/2008, 8:43 AM
It is only right we have pride in terryland, but Tirners X is BY FAR a better stadium. Parking has nothing to do with it - you won't get parking in the ground at Wembley or Old Trafford either. We have one nice looking stand, one alright looking one, and nothing worth talking about behind both goals. Turners Cross is far superior. We have the best pitch though

galwayhoop
06/03/2008, 9:35 AM
i'd much rather the car park got partially developed into a stand than just keeping it for parking, as woodquay says there are few if any international 'city' stadia with parking facilities. think lansdowne and croker for closer to home examples.

Tir Oilean
06/03/2008, 11:55 AM
Cant understand the facination with Turners Cross. I was there loads last season and the only good thing about it is seating capacity and the new shed is one of the best in the league. The pitch is far from level no matter where you watch the match from. The stand at the dressing room side is not fully covered so you get soaked the away side is rough enough. Although there is no car park there is plenty of space on the surrouding streets. I feel Terryland is the best compact stadium around two great stands perfect playing surface and a carpark and I agree with Galwayhoop when the time comes and were in Europe every season we should look at putting up another stand over the carpark

Claret Murph
06/03/2008, 12:16 PM
when the time comes and were in Europe every season we should look at putting up another stand over the carpark

Tir Oilean , would that be a single or a double tier over the car park ;););)

Tir Oilean
06/03/2008, 3:11 PM
Well personally I would like the first tier as a pub/clubhouse/functions room and the second tier a seated stand!!!

Sam_Heggy
06/03/2008, 10:24 PM
Athlones would be the best stand in the LOI at present imo. Terryland is impressive too. I hope to get around most of the grounds this season so ill get a better look.
Tolka is a death trap and its far from the best ground in Ireland, once upon a time maybe.

Paddyfield
06/03/2008, 10:41 PM
It is only right we have pride in terryland, but Tirners X is BY FAR a better stadium. Parking has nothing to do with it - you won't get parking in the ground at Wembley or Old Trafford either. We have one nice looking stand, one alright looking one, and nothing worth talking about behind both goals. Turners Cross is far superior. We have the best pitch though

Agreed. Turner's Cross is superb. The Showgrounds and the Flan Siro are damn good too.

Mr A
07/03/2008, 8:20 AM
I like United Park. Proper old style ground with plenty of covered terracing making for a good atmosphere. The addition of some covered terracing to Terryland would be class, but sadly that's not the way things are going any more!

Sandro
12/03/2008, 7:33 AM
Terryland's new stand looks big, modern, functional and safe but it has actually a very small capacity, just 1500 seats installed on about 10 steps. I can't understand why it wasn't built longer to cover all the lenght of the pitch. An overall seating capacity of only 2900 might not be enough for big events in a city like Galway. Should the club build further stands behind the goals even the total capacity of 5000 would be reduced. Athlone's new stand looks impressive too in my opinion

Tir Oilean
12/03/2008, 7:46 AM
Budget restrictions is what kept the new stand short Sandro AFAIK.

Sandro
12/03/2008, 8:00 AM
I don't think making it 15 meters longer on each side would have been much more expensive. Do you know if the stand can be extended at later stage?

KBurke
12/03/2008, 8:38 AM
I'd say we should be filling the 2 stands we have before we worry about extending stands our building new stands

Sandro
12/03/2008, 8:55 AM
I'd say we should be filling the 2 stands we have before we worry about extending stands our building new stands

That's for sure but management is made of good planning too

WoodquayBoy
12/03/2008, 10:16 AM
I thought it was a health and safety issue, need sp[ace for an evacuation of, God forbid, one was needed, so can't build all the way into the corner?

galwayhoop
12/03/2008, 10:43 AM
Should the club build further stands behind the goals even the total capacity of 5000 would be reduced.
not true.

if stands were built with a similar design behind each goal the capacity would increase.
when you have non-stepped terracing, like we do, you are only allowed to have supporters 3 or 4 deep. if stands were built with room for standing at the front (like the new stand) then the number allowed stand wouldn't get any smaller. prior to construction of the new stand the grounds capacity was 3,500 so the new stand increased the capacity by even more than the number of seats in it (it's 5,500 afaik now).
the new stand is about 60 meters in length and holds 1,500. if a stand of about 40 meters was to be built at each end then it would increase the capacity by 2,000. also if terraced steps were put in around the ground this would further increase the capicity.

all of this is waaaaaay down the line though. we got less than 2,200 up last friday so i wouldn't be worrying about 2 more stands.

galwayhoop
12/03/2008, 10:44 AM
I thought it was a health and safety issue, need sp[ace for an evacuation of, God forbid, one was needed, so can't build all the way into the corner?

not my understanding of it. there is potential to increase the stand, at least obn the town side anyway

luka
15/03/2008, 12:39 PM
Best Stadium in Ireland...........ye'll be there today lads

Terry
15/03/2008, 12:41 PM
are ye still playing yer home games in turners cross? better ring the lads on the bus !!!!!! :D

The Rebel Ram
15/03/2008, 1:16 PM
are ye still playing yer home games in turners cross? better ring the lads on the bus !!!!!! :D

Since we played Limerick at the start of last season in Turners Cross we haven't lost a game in Colman's Park since September '06.

Looks set to continue for a bit too i bet:D