PDA

View Full Version : greg

michaelguineys
05/07/2003, 12:48 PM
what do ye think of greg not starting last nite?
said in the echo last nite that he would definitely start. i'd say he must have been like a dog.

James
05/07/2003, 12:54 PM
i dont think so MG
greg was suspended for the away match v Boez and Conor and Colin T played in the centre of midfield last monday and played great games both of them, so it would have made no sense or shown no loyalty to them to have dropped either of them

and again i thought both colin T and conor played very very well last night and the loyalty dolan showed by playing them was more then justified.

very good call imo

Éanna
05/07/2003, 12:56 PM
I think Dolan did well to show such loyalty, its not an easy call but he was probably right. I don't think greg is gonna be too upset about it, the lads did well and took their chances, he'll get back in soon enough I reckon.

James
05/07/2003, 1:00 PM
it just shows how much everyone want to play for the Rebel Army though, colin T doesnt get a look in all season, gets his chance to play and takes it turning in 2 very good performances (pity he missed that header in the second half)

now greg having missed 1 match through suspension has to wait his turn to get back into the team.. it can only make him more determined while also reminding both conor and colin T that any slipups by them and greg is back waiting to reclaim his place.

michaelguineys
05/07/2003, 1:02 PM
yeah i think they did well without greg aswell. colin t is playin very well these days and i was pleasantly surprised by o' grady. not too sure bout hedderman tho, was good at times but made a few too many mistakes i think. i think his bad start may have knocked his confidence a bit

SSS
05/07/2003, 1:12 PM
In my opinion. Greg should have started.
He has been one of City's best players for a while now and a couple of good performances from players who have been previoulsy poor does not entitle them to keep their place ahead of him.
If anything it shows a lack of loyalty to the team captain who always gives 100%.

Having said that, my solution would have been to play Greg and drop Hedderman - who has done absolutely nothing since joining the club. Dolan should either play him in his correct position or drop him.

Insult to injury for Greg was Dolan bringing on Murray for Hedderman at a stage when at 2-1 City were by no means coasting it, even against 10 men. Greg would have given the team a bit more bite. It seems Dolan isn't happy unless he has at least one centre back playing in midfield ( and they are no Paul McGrath's!)

davybarry boy
05/07/2003, 1:56 PM
i was talking to greg while he was warming up and he said he didnt expect to be back in the team last night.he told me that the team played very well up in bohs and that the two lads in the middle deserved to stay in the team. he also said that he was delighted for conor that he is back to his best because he was getting a bit of stick from the fans. greg also said that noel spillane put stuff on the paper last night saying that greg wants his place back greg said he never even spoke to spillane. i thought it was good out of greg to say encouraging things about the team. yerrs ago he would have punched the manager if he wasn't playing. just shows what role he's playing as captain. CITY FOR THE LEAGUE

patsh
05/07/2003, 2:13 PM
I think events proved Dolan right. Kev Murray looked quite good when he came on, and was a vast improvement on Hedderman.
I think Greg knows that he is secure with City, he has to fight for his place, but is confident enough in himself and Dolan to know that he is a major part of City's team.

Trax
05/07/2003, 2:25 PM
Well said lads.Isnt it great to have a manager who's willing to give plyrs a go on merit rather than just playing his favourites,think ye all no where I'm going with this.I think Pat is giving every plyr a chance to prove himself as he wouldnt have seen what all the squad can do before he joined.

pete
07/07/2003, 9:15 AM
Very surprising to hear Greg didn't play on friday even accepting that the 2 lads played well against Bohs.