PDA

View Full Version : Ollies goal today

Slash/ED
05/07/2003, 12:15 AM
Early contender for goal of the season, it was a bit special and anyone who can should try and catch it on Eircom League weekly, he got the ball, spun away from a defender and curled it into the top corner from outside the box, he's really looking on form right now and long may it continue. Geogos goal was very good aswell, for a minute it looked like he'd taken the wrong option but he pulled a shot out of nowhere into the bottom corner. Good game overall, attendence was fairly disappointing but at tmes Shels played some great football. Drogheda for their part weren't bad either, and if they had of scored their penalty it might have been a different story. Good preformance and another great win.

Éanna
05/07/2003, 1:39 PM
might have been a good strike, but city had 3 contenders for goal of the season against longford.

The Sheliban
05/07/2003, 11:02 PM
The odd thing about Ollie's goal was that it was a right foot curler.
I've had my reservations about Ollie this last season and a half, but I agree with Slash, the last few games he's starting to realise his potential.
By the way, our subs that came on during the Drogs game were Dessie Baker, Stewie Byrne and Wes Houlihan. This is why I think we'll still be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Slash/ED
06/07/2003, 12:57 AM
Sheliban, this will sound like a daft question, but who got our second goal? I was at the other end of the pitch and to me it looked like Byrne, and the announcer said it was Byrne, and our whole section chanted his name, but reading reports on the internet and places like Aertel they all have it down as Crawford, so is it a typical RTE screw up or do the whole new stand and the announcer need glasses?

The Sheliban
07/07/2003, 9:31 AM
Thankfully, I moved down to the Ballybough end for the second half. It was definitely old Bandylegs himself, Crawford. Great run and the deftest of flicks. Have to admit I couldn't hear the PA, but wondered why you lot were chanting for Jayo!!!

A face
07/07/2003, 9:37 AM
Six-up for Shels

Shelbourne 3-0 Drogheda United
Shelbourne stretched their lead at the top of the table to six points with a comfortable victory over lacklustre Drogheda United at Tolka Park on Friday night, although the visitors will rue a first half penalty miss by usually reliable Andy Myler.

Drogheda trailed by just Stephen Geoghegan’s early goal when referee Alan Kelly handed them a chance to level after 38 minutes.

Myler went down in the box under pressure from Shels left back Dave Crawley, and the official immediately pointed at the spot to the delight of the visiting contingent.

However, Myler - who has converted twice from the spot already this season - slid his shot wide after an all too casual short run-up.

That was the closest the visitors came to bothering the scoreboard, although Myler could have scored early in the second half only for home keeper Steve Williams to smother his effort.

Shels, who had starter excellently only to take the foot off the gas, found their rhythm again as the second half wore on. Top scorer Jason Byrne, himself without a goal in almost two months, helped create an opening for Richie Baker after a flowing movement, but the winger’s shot hit the side-netting.

They succeeded in nabbing the cushion of a second goal quarter of an hour from the end, Owen Heary’s cross glanced past Gary Rogers by midfielder Jim Crawford’s deft header.

And then, two minutes later, left winger Ollie Cahill - who had notched his first goal of the season with a cracker against Longford Town on Tuesday - produced a brilliant goal out of nothing, cutting inside and curling a superb shot high past Rogers’s reach.

Shelbourne: Williams, Heary, Crawley, Rodgers, Doherty, Crawford (S. Byrne, 80), Morgan, R. Baker, Cahill (Hoolahan, 85), Geoghegan (D. Baker, 64), J. Byrne.

Drogheda United: Rogers, O’Connor, Kelly, Scully, Lynch, Beasley, Tierney (Flanagan, 72), Quinless (Tarrant, 53), Cronin (Jones, 80), Myler, O’Brien.

Referee: A. Kelly (Dublin)

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=6266)

pete
07/07/2003, 11:41 AM
Can Fenlon not find a place for Wes Houlihan in his team?

The Sheliban
07/07/2003, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately, and this is one of the big tragedies at Tolka, Wes seems to be going the same way as Richie Baker. He has failed to impress in a long time now. The tricks don't seem to be working and he gives the ball away far too often. Probably defenders are getting wise to his shimmies and feints. I hope to God I'm wrong, but I'm very afraid his star might have peaked.

Slash/ED
07/07/2003, 7:38 PM
As good as it is to see Crawford playing well and scoring, I was delighted Jayos lean streak was over, hope he finds the net against Pats as this could be getting to him at this stage, once one goes in he'll start banging them in as regularly as he was before.