PDA

View Full Version : Paisley Going (the other one)

dahamsta
04/03/2008, 5:32 PM
Cheerio!

Paisley to stand down in May (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojkfgbgbql/)

The Rev Ian Paisley announced tonight he is to quit as leader of the Democratic Unionist Party and First Minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

He confirmed his decision to go in May after mounting pressure from within his party in recent weeks to stand aside.

The 81-year-old First Minister, who will remain as an MP and Assembly member, will quit after an investment conference in Belfast organised by the Stormont power-sharing executive.

[...]

pete
04/03/2008, 9:17 PM
Amazing. He moves a little to the centre to bring stability to NI & his own party shaft him.

eamo1
05/03/2008, 12:53 AM
he was (not so secretly) very ill about 3 years ago and seems to have gotten a 2nd wind but its catching up on him again id say.he was alot of things,mostly the word BITTER comes to my mind anyway.

Block G Raptor
05/03/2008, 9:04 AM
There was an article in the Irish Times last week that said his party were pushing for him to retire in the wake of Jnr's disgrace

pete
05/03/2008, 12:16 PM
There was an article in the Irish Times last week that said his party were pushing for him to retire in the wake of Jnr's disgrace

I get the impression his resignation was not his own choice.

Bluebeard
05/03/2008, 4:50 PM
Who is going to come into that vacuum. Like him or (more sensibly) lividly detest him, the man was the hub of the DUP. What big Ian said, went.

Who is likely to take over - it's not that jumped up "ideologist" Donaldson is it?

Aaron
05/03/2008, 5:11 PM
Peter Robinson

geysir
06/03/2008, 9:22 AM
That's put an instant dampner on any celebrations.

Ringo
06/03/2008, 11:15 AM
Peter Robinson

Totally agree. Paisley was part of the problem & more importantly part of the solution. lets hope things stay steady. Think Robinson could be a safe pair of hands(:eek:never thought i'd hear myself saying that)