PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Cronin

Estar
04/07/2003, 12:57 PM
New signing Gareth Cronin will go straight into the squad without having trained with his new team mates. Cronin, 28, was signed late on Thursday evening from Cork City. Predominantly a left back, although at 6’2” he can also cover at centre back, he has made over 250 appearances from Cork City in two separate spells as well as a spell with Shamrock Rovers. He has also been on the books of Sunderland, Bradford and Doncaster Rovers.

Great news looks like a good signing.

Anyone got more info on the player?

Countyman
04/07/2003, 1:22 PM
I posted the same question on the cork forum.
Looks like we've made a good signing!!!!!

Estar
04/07/2003, 1:32 PM
Yes indeed!! Cork's loss is our gain:D

Will he have to travel from Cork?
If he does he can get a lift from Wayne;)

Did he have a fall out with Pat Dolan?
Can he play in midfield?
Does he score goals?:ball:

Estar
04/07/2003, 2:03 PM
http://www.eirways.com/citynet/files/squaddetails/new_signings_big.jpg

Summer Signings
From left: John Andrews, George O'Callaghan, Gareth Cronin, Alan Reynolds, Billy Woods.
(picture: Brian Lougheed)

Having returned from Shamrock Rovers in time for the start of the current campaign, Gareth has slotted straight back into the team.
Equally at home at left-back or central defence, Gareth made his 250th appearance for City in the 3-2 win over UCD at Turner’s Cross in July '02.
Fell out of favour with manager Liam Murphy during the 2002/03 season.

Estar
04/07/2003, 4:31 PM
http://ccfcpics.net/albums/album16/26_gaz_hacked_down.sized.jpg

Another picture of our new signing.

Our back five looks very soild for the crunch game tomorrow with Harps.

Can't wait to see Gareth Cronin play.

1. Russell
2.Daisy 4.Ben 5.Purdy 3. Cronin:D

Was told Cornin is good at free kicks. Another piece of armour that was missing.
More good news we got him on a free:cool:

Éanna
05/07/2003, 1:33 PM
Quality player and a really nice fella too. He was vice captain at city under dave barry before joining rovers. Not a spectacular player, but he was our denis irwin in his first spell at the club. really really consistent player, good crosser and a good free kick taker as well. AFAIK, he lives and works in Dublin still, so it probably suits him a lot better.

Estar
05/07/2003, 2:02 PM
Handy that he lives this side of the country, Wayne Russell has to travel from Waterford.
All the lads I've talked to yesterday were delighted with the signing. I wish him the best of luck and hope he has a fruitful time with Kildare.
But talk about been trown in at the deep end. I heard he could be playing centre half tonight and marking McQ and jock making a surprise appearence after injury at left back.

I will keep you posted with his progress, I will be at the match to night.

Should be the biggest crowd of the season 700+, Harps brought two buses last year (and blue flares) a real 6 pointer for us.

Don't be surprised with a 0-0 result.

If we score first Harps may give up.(Score first against Galway and put 5 past them).

We have gone behind in 4 out 5 of our home games, and still only lost 1 of our games(talk about shooting yourself in the foot).:rolleyes:

Estar
05/07/2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Not a spectacular player, but he was our denis irwin in his first spell at the club. really really consistent player, good crosser and a good free kick taker as well.

Very solid performance on his debut.:)
Put in some great balls for the attackers, very direct and dosen't **** about which I like. Surely get better with more games. Never gave Harps a sniff. Saved Ben after he had a fresh air. Another good signing by Keely:cool: