PDA

View Full Version : Meteor woes

Paddyfield
03/03/2008, 9:23 PM
I left Vodafone last July to join Meteor. My monthly phonebill dropped by over half but the coverage is crap eventhough I ma in an urban area. When I am at home, I have to go to the front of the house to recieve/make calls and even when I am in areas of full coverage, people on the other end can't always hear me clearly. Also, Meteor don't have an agreement with certain foreign networks which means I can't text my best mate in Boston anymore. I've had enough (despite the better value).

I have a year contract with Meteor which expires in July but I want to bail out whilst retaining my number (which is my original 087).
What can I do?
Or do I have to wait until summer?

DmanDmythDledge
03/03/2008, 9:26 PM
If you signed a contract there's nothing you can do. If you're really desperate to switch check could you buy out the remainder of the contract.

Just changed from vodafone to meteor tonight actually (pay as you go). I thought meteor's coverage was the same as O2's?

Billsthoughts
03/03/2008, 9:27 PM
you can leave the contract but will have to pay.

superfrank
03/03/2008, 10:45 PM
Meteor's coverage is pretty good I find. I was able to use my phone in Scotland and Netherlands recently at reasonable prices as well. This is pay as you go.

Bill-pay I'm guessing is tougher to get out of.

dahamsta
03/03/2008, 11:02 PM
Coverage outside of Ireland doesn't really count, that's just a roaming agreement and they're pretty stock across the board these days.

adam

superfrank
03/03/2008, 11:10 PM
I meant the coverage in Ireland is pretty good.

NeilMcD
03/03/2008, 11:14 PM
I think Bills are madness to be honest. I think they just make up the amount as feck all people query it as they cant remember who the rang etc. And sure if they get it wrong they will probably give you the money back but sure that probably only happens in one in ten etc.

I went to pay as you go and have not looked back with, internet texting, and free calls vodafone to vodafone i usally only top up about twice a month to 20 euro each time.

GavinZac
03/03/2008, 11:33 PM
Never had a problem with meteor coverage except out in the sticks. In fact, in urban areas its often the strongest signal. Its the only one you can pick up underground in the Boole Basement in UCC :D

dahamsta
03/03/2008, 11:38 PM
I meant the coverage in Ireland is pretty good.Oops, missed the "as well", sorry superfrank.

Ash
04/03/2008, 7:34 AM
I left Vodafone last July to join Meteor.
My monthly phonebill dropped by over half but the coverage is crap
eventhough I ma in an urban area. When I am at home, I have to go
to the front of the house to recieve/make calls and even when I am in
areas of full coverage, people on the other end can't always hear me clearly.

Where abouts are you living?

I've been with Meteor for about 2 years now and have had no problems
with coverage ... apart from going through Granard, but hey, that says
more about Longford than anything else :p

I've been able to make calls and txts from everywhere on the Division 1
Nationwide Tour and havent had problems that I can think of roaming
across Europe

Same as though for the bills. I was with O2 before and my bills pretty much
halved.

noby
04/03/2008, 7:34 AM
Meteor do have good coverage; and where they have no coverage you are automatically switched over to O2 at great expense to Meteor.
Paddyfield, obvious question but is your phone ok? Do other people have as much trouble as you?

Magicme
04/03/2008, 8:24 AM
I sometimes have problems with meteor coverage in my house, it comes in and out a bit but generally its good. And with the free meteor to meteor texts for life, I cant see myself changing anytime soon.

Maz
04/03/2008, 9:00 AM
I've never had any problems with meteor coverage to be honest. I do know that my brother lost signal on his in Roscommon and it changed automatically to vodafone and straight back to meteor.

Macy
04/03/2008, 9:09 AM
I was considering switching myself and the missus to meteor, as I thought it had the same coverage as O2? Problem is getting us both out of contract at the same time, but free texts/calls would save for us both...

Wouldn't go back to pay as you go now - I always ran out of credit when I really needed it. Fine in Dublin with lots of 24hour shops, but a pain when in rural areas.

Ash - it says more about Granard than it says about Longford or Meteor.

I'd be asking the same questions as noby, is it a problem with the phone? Some phones are terrible at picking up the signal.

noby
04/03/2008, 9:20 AM
Macy, you can set up the top-up feature so you ring/text meteor and they will top you up. I'm pretty sure it can be done with no credit left too.

inexile
04/03/2008, 3:07 PM
I was considering switching myself and the missus to meteor, as I thought it had the same coverage as O2? Problem is getting us both out of contract at the same time, but free texts/calls would save for us both...

Wouldn't go back to pay as you go now - I always ran out of credit when I really needed it. Fine in Dublin with lots of 24hour shops, but a pain when in rural areas.

Ash - it says more about Granard than it says about Longford or Meteor.

I'd be asking the same questions as noby, is it a problem with the phone? Some phones are terrible at picking up the signal.

simple enough just stop ringing and texting the missus

SÓC
04/03/2008, 3:56 PM
Macy, you can set up the top-up feature so you ring/text meteor and they will top you up. I'm pretty sure it can be done with no credit left too.

If you have AIB internet banking you can text a number for free (when home or abroad) and top up direct from your bank account.

I have meteor too, its fantastic for roaming/living in the UK which is free once you're on tmobile.

Back in Cork though near UCC the signal is useless and often gets overloaded with network busy messages. They had a mast at Dennehy's X but since the place has been leveled for apartments meteor never replaced the mast

Lev Yashin
04/03/2008, 9:14 PM
my ex used to work for meteor and we both got the phones with the free text messages to each other and all that...and ill tell you now i'd rather chew off my own arm than go back to them...so many dropped calls, missed calls, not recieved messages and messages not able to be sent, no amount of free texts or any other gimmick is worth that sh*te, im on three at the moment and the signal is perfect, untill you have a meteor phone and are hanging out windows to get signal you dont apprieciate the other networks!

thats my 2 cents

bellavistaman
04/03/2008, 9:29 PM
im with meteor and have no problems think its the best network out there.

Kildare Lad
05/03/2008, 8:14 PM
Im with meteor and have to admit I do get the odd problem with signal but still reckon its worth it for the free texts.

dahamsta
05/03/2008, 8:48 PM
I sent Meteor Business an email the other day asking about coverage in my area, and if they could provide a SIM card to my company so I could test their network. They responded asking for a phone number so they could put an account manager in touch. Do they not think that if I wanted to chat to some droid on the phone, I'd have called? Where do they get these CS people, primary schools?

adam