PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI against Waterford

ForzaForth
03/03/2008, 5:27 PM
Assuming everyone is fit and based on the form of the friendlies, my guess is that it will be -

Russell, Hawkins, Russell, Rossiter, Lawlor, Larkin, Malone, Sinnott, O'Loughlin, Murphy, JFOC

in a 5-3-2 formation.

Blue-Army
03/03/2008, 6:09 PM
Come on Blues!

oldyouth
03/03/2008, 8:23 PM
Assuming everyone is fit and based on the form of the friendlies, my guess is that it will be -

Russell, Hawkins, Russell, Rossiter, Lawlor, Larkin, Malone, Sinnott, O'Loughlin, Murphy, JFOC

in a 5-3-2 formation.

Agree with that, with the hope that Lockie can regain the touch he had towards the end of last season and Patsy looking a bit more menacing

oldyouth
03/03/2008, 8:25 PM
Come on Blues!
Is the Waterford page down Blue Army, not much stir on it for a few weeks now? I thought yez would be getting all fired up by now?:p

jeff24
04/03/2008, 12:51 PM
We have or own forum (btid online)

ramsfan
04/03/2008, 11:44 PM
is it really true ye are wearing pink this season, i can see the headlines now
waterford sink the pink

oldyouth
05/03/2008, 8:45 AM
These jerseys suit top sportsmen, see below
http://www.freewebs.com/wysfc/febpics2008.htm

ramsfan
05/03/2008, 4:40 PM
fair dues they will get ye noticed anyway:D

passinginterest
05/03/2008, 4:42 PM
fair dues they will get ye noticed anyway:D

Noticed from outer space! Mick Wallace always has been a bit of a space cadet.

The pink looks a bit too Barbie for my taste, but it could be worse. Good luck to the lads if they wear it down in Limerick though, I'd rather them than me. :D

Footsoldier
05/03/2008, 4:45 PM
What are the odds that we'll have to replace them at half time because the players can't pick each other out?

By the way, I was talking to a female friend of mine yesterday. When she noticed that my tie had a bit of pink in it, she said that she thought pink on a man was "very sexy". The poor girl would have been unable to walk had she gone out to the Youths - Rovers match on Friday night:D

ramsfan
05/03/2008, 4:59 PM
there would be snail trails everywhere, they would be slipping off there seats:D

Bluebeard
07/03/2008, 12:33 PM
there would be snail trails everywhere, they would be slipping off there seats:D

I'm going to be standing for the match tonight so...

oldyouth
07/03/2008, 1:36 PM
I think we'll all be standing Bluebeard. I'm not sure the temp stand will be completed in time:(

kopite
07/03/2008, 2:38 PM
The Temp Stand Is Up - 600 Seats And Canvass Covering.purchased By The Owner,one Michael Wallace.

passinginterest
07/03/2008, 2:50 PM
Canvass Covering.

Wow! How posh. :eek:

oldyouth
07/03/2008, 5:56 PM
Couldn't wait, I had to go up for a preview. It looks great

ForzaForth
07/03/2008, 11:15 PM
Wexford pressed hard for an equaliser at the end of a pulsating game in Ferrycarrig Park but had to settle for a 2-1 defeat. Wexford started Russell, Hawkins, Lawlor, Russell, Larkin, Sinnott, Malone, Fitzgerald, Doyle, Murphy and JFOC. Waterford scored through a chip over the top and a square pass found the second Waterford attacker with an easy finish. Waterford had rwo other good chances in the first half while Wexford had a Sinnott (?) shot which hit the crossbar. Wexford probably happy to go in one down.

Wexford were better in the second half and after about 20 minutes, a pass into the box found Paul Murphy who swivelled and knocked it into the far post.:) 1-1. Waterford regained the lead almost immediately, however, with a penalty with their next attack. At the other end of the pitch, so I couldn't see what it was for. With 15 minutes to go Waterford lost their centre-half with a straight red for a tackle on Gavin Doyle. Looked a bit harsh. Wexford then pressed hard for the equaliser and a long-range JFOC shot just clipped the outside of the post. Blues' keeper did well on the crosses at that stage. Wexford brought on Locky, Kyle Dempsey and Marty Kelly towards the end - thought they could have come on earlier.

Good crowd - well over 1,500 I would think. Temporary stand with canopy looked great. Thought Sinnott and Murphy played well. Murphy could have done with more support up front.

oldyouth
07/03/2008, 11:24 PM
Good report Forzaforth. I had a good view of the penalty incident and still have no idea what it was for. I thought the supporters were in great voice and the players acknowledged that in coming over when we scored
If the lads play like that every week, no problem in achieving mid-table;)

brokenstar
08/03/2008, 12:20 AM
Wasn't at the game but i heard the peno was for an apparent handball by Larkin. Very very harsh on Youths. Though from the reports i've got back the ref was an absolute ****.

Still and all, we seemed to give a good account of ourselves and hopefully this has set the bar for the rest of the season. The players seem more confident and well up for a tussle. The adrenaline is finally pumping! I don't think anyone in the First Division this season should take us as pushovers. The lads are hardened and up for a fight now.... lets bring it on! Come on Youths!

ForzaWexford
08/03/2008, 9:29 AM
Another 1 goal defeat! Out of the country so couldn't go, had to make do with Liam feckin Spratt. Sounds like an encouraging enough performance. Hopefully now we'll build on it and get something down in Limerick next week.

Weird question but has the music been changed from last season?! I should hope it has.

oldyouth
08/03/2008, 10:09 AM
The honest answer Forzawexford is, I couldn't tell you!!!. The new stand is on the far side of the pitch and we couldn't hear anything from the PA system, no substitutions, music, announcements etc:mad:
I know the Pavarotti was requested by the players

WexCar
08/03/2008, 11:29 AM
Another 1 goal defeat! Out of the country so couldn't go, had to make do with Liam feckin Spratt.

do south east radio broadcast the home and away matches live?

Youths4Ever
08/03/2008, 5:35 PM
do south east radio broadcast the home and away matches live?

No then don't then are covering 6 home games this season which is more than last year so a start.

Last night match was an improvement on the performances of last year. Play like that for rest of season and mid table will be ours.

More people signing and supporting the team. Need to get some speakers on the side of the pitch with the stand though.

Still not sure about starting line up though. Impressed by Murphy up front but think he would get more out of the game with a striking partner not just support from the midfield

oldyouth
08/03/2008, 6:48 PM
If you check the Waterford forums, WLR cancelled their broadcast, so they tuned in to South East Radio and I believe that Liam Spratt made his usual total t*t of himself. If we want to attract potential 'maybe' visitors to Ferrycarrig Park, lets get professional about it

Sunny Jim
09/03/2008, 9:47 PM
That was a great game of football. We showed Waterford too much respect for the first half hour but after that it was as if the lads realised that there was nothing to be afraid of and started to really go at them. We should have had at least a draw and if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be alright.

Cracking atmosphere by the way, the best I've seen at home. Hope the crowds keep up. I understand that the attendance was 1,826 paying customers plus season ticket holders so somewhere between 1,900 and 1,950.

I don't want to keep going on about the standard of refereeing, but even by the usual standards he was awful. I think he was the only one in the ground who saw what the peno was for. Only for that I think we could have won it. But, the first half hour aside, it was a very encouraging start.

Bluebeard
10/03/2008, 3:03 PM
Well, lads, even ignoring the three points, I have to say it was a great trip back for the game. Good atmosphere and a good sized crowd for any League game. For a new club, you are really on top of a lot of things, and hopefully you'll enhance your standing as the seasons progress.

I'm bloody glad though that the temporary stand was up as it was fierce nippy. I also presume that in the longer run there are plans for an entrance onto the main road (N11?) - I walked out from Wexford and I was gutted when I discovered how far I'd have to go when I was to all intents and purposes within a few metres of the ground.

Good luck in your next 8 games - I hope ye do well.

oldyouth
10/03/2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Bluebird. There are big issues with that stretch of road and I don't see any entrance being put there. The NRA say it would be too dangereous but I think it would be safer having access for a few hours each match day, rather than the narrow back roads. We're used to them but visitors aren't.
By the way, who told you it was a gentle stroll from town to the ground anyway:p

Splurge
11/03/2008, 11:30 AM
:D
I saw a Wateford fella walking the back roads allright, around 7:30 ish, poor sod. It's a fair treck from town allright. You couldnt have a path there as loads of ppl would end up parking there in an effort to beat the traffic.

It was my first Youths game and my first LoI game since the mid 90's when we used to trapse over to Kilkenny for the odd game, ive been abroad since. I tought it was a great occasion and will definitely be back as often as possible, will miss the next one however (Kildare) due to work :( I'll probably get to the Cobh game.

As for the game, which was a great exhibition, Wexford definetly deserved a point. Waterford had a man sent off but could have been 1 or 2 more, WX got punished for two sloppy defensive mistakes. I was impressed at how the didnt fold after the early goal and fought really well after a tentative opening.
If Wateford are one of the top teams in this division Wexford should be good for a top 4 or 6 finish. The WX striker Murphy looked decent, Mark Hughes type of player, also the central midfielder, cant remember his name. Hawkins was a bit wobbly as a sweeper but i liked the way he at least tried to distribute the ball. Hopefully he'll grow into the role. WD knew they robbed us, especially when we clipped the post near the end.

The ref and linesmen were pretty poor:
1) several wrong offisde calls
2) WD got a free when the foul was clearly inside the box(1st half)
3) WD player handled the ball in the box 1st half nothing
4) WD should have had a few more sent off, lot of professional fouling going on, when WX were bursting from midfield
5) dunno what the peno was for, someone said handball but no one saw it

oldyouth
11/03/2008, 1:59 PM
Hi Splurge,

I came back to LOI football last year for our 1st season after (many) years away. My advice on the standard of referreeing is to just accept it or else you will make yourself ill. What you saw on Friday, and I fully agree with you, is the usual standard you can expect. All you can hope for is that the sh*t balances out over the year

Bluebeard
11/03/2008, 2:57 PM
Yup, that was me walking the roads. I had come over on the ferry from London that morning, and I thought a gentle stroll from the town would clear the head while waiting for the game. A body gets excited with the advent of the new season:D

Footsoldier
11/03/2008, 3:24 PM
Next time you're over, give one of us a shout and we'll look after you (Now where can I find that smilie with the gimp mask?)

stann
11/03/2008, 3:44 PM
If Wateford are one of the top teams in this division Wexford should be good for a top 4 or 6 finish. The WX striker Murphy looked decent, Mark Hughes type of player, also the central midfielder, cant remember his name. Hawkins was a bit wobbly as a sweeper but i liked the way he at least tried to distribute the ball. Hopefully he'll grow into the role. WD knew they robbed us, especially when we clipped the post near the end.

Steady on a bit Splurge. :) While you did come close right at the end, and certainly could have nicked a point, you're kind of overlooking Bermingham's three glorious missed chances (firing just over in a similar position to the goal, having his shot stopped on the line with the keeper beaten, and firing wildly over in the 2nd half when it was easier to score), and Breener's header that looped up onto the top of the crossbar, again with the keeper beaten. So while we could well have ended up settling for a point, robbed is a bit strong.
However ye looked a decent side, strong and fit, and miles better than the team that came to the RSC last season. Would have to see Murphy play a few more times to see if he's a player to be honest, but that Flynn-O'Connor chap in the midfield looks tidy.

Splurge
11/03/2008, 4:34 PM
Steady on a bit Splurge. :) While you did come close right at the end, and certainly could have nicked a point, you're kind of overlooking Bermingham's three glorious missed chances (firing just over in a similar position to the goal, having his shot stopped on the line with the keeper beaten, and firing wildly over in the 2nd half when it was easier to score), and Breener's header that looped up onto the top of the crossbar, again with the keeper beaten. So while we could well have ended up settling for a point, robbed is a bit strong.
However ye looked a decent side, strong and fit, and miles better than the team that came to the RSC last season. Would have to see Murphy play a few more times to see if he's a player to be honest, but that Flynn-O'Connor chap in the midfield looks tidy.

Thing was any chance you lot got we basically handed to you. The miss when Hawkins put him clear through was criminal. WD played more effectively by fouling in harmless areas of the pitch when we countered, we were away 2 or 3 times when we got taken out of it. A draw would have been a fair result, it was the individual unforced errors that did us.
Hopefully next time the concentration will be better.
I'm sure WD can play better than they did aswell, i've only seen them play 90 minutes.

Bluebeard, you were near the ground when i saw you, i tought you were someone who lived nearby or something. You should have put the thumb out and someone would have picked you up, especially on the back rds when they would see that your going to the game.

oldyouth
11/03/2008, 7:23 PM
Kinda agree with Stann and Splurge. Both have valid points. Main thing is we've started a bit of local derby thing going forward. Pity Kilkenny aren't around to make it a 3 ball

Splurge
11/03/2008, 9:27 PM
Main thing is we've started a bit of local derby thing going forward. Pity Kilkenny aren't around to make it a 3 ball

Agreed, i might even crawl out of my armchair for the away fixture.