PDA

View Full Version : LOI: Breeding ground for young managers?

MariborKev
01/03/2008, 3:51 PM
We were in a discussion last night, and we were chatting about how young the managers are in the LOI.

Apart from Pete Mahon at UCD, the managerial demographic is very young in the LOI. Can anyone remember a time when there were so many young managers in the Premier Division?

forza rovers
01/03/2008, 3:54 PM
who is the youngest manger in loi?

jebus
01/03/2008, 4:22 PM
who is the youngest manger in loi?

Mike Kerley of Limerick 37 I think, open to correction though

Blue-Army
01/03/2008, 4:28 PM
Mike Kerley of Limerick 37 I think, open to correction though
How old is Kerley???

Gareth Cronin is 33

HarpoJoyce
01/03/2008, 4:34 PM
We were in a discussion last night, and we were chatting about how young the managers are in the LOI.

Apart from Pete Mahon at UCD, the managerial demographic is very young in the LOI. Can anyone remember a time when there were so many young managers in the Premier Division?

What do you mean by young. Perhaps, 'cos you grow up with some of the current mangers, you don't see them as too old.

Do you mean clubs at the tiptop of the Premier Division. Is Eddie Gormley or John McDonnell still young.

The league has always had its fair share of player-managers. Sligo Rovers went through a proud spell of training up managers in the 1990's. And were successful to boot.

That Paul Doolin has no hair, he must 100...110. (medal count anyway).

superfrank
01/03/2008, 5:25 PM
Breeding ground, maybe.

I think it's more to do with the part-time status of a lot of football people in Ireland.

Those who have a better job away from football may not want to go into management (arguably more time-consuming) so the number of available candidates is then lowered. Some of them don't see the financial and job security in eircom league management that may be available in a different career once their playing days are over, again lowering the potential candidates. What you're left with is a group of ex-pro's (therefore the top players in the el) who are football enthusiasts. Their willingness to stay in football and their high reputations in the game would make them easy candidates for management.

holidaysong
01/03/2008, 5:30 PM
What managers have started out in the LoI and gone on to manage elsewhere in recent times? I know of Sam Allardyce and Lawrie Sanchez.. Any others?

ramsfan
01/03/2008, 5:35 PM
stephen henderson is 42 so quite young in managerial terms

superfrank
01/03/2008, 6:37 PM
What managers have started out in the LoI and gone on to manage elsewhere in recent times? I know of Sam Allardyce and Lawrie Sanchez.. Any others?
Brian Kerr managed the national side at various levels
Stephen Kenny (unsuccesfully)
Pat Fenlon was/is part of the national set-up

sonofstan
01/03/2008, 8:47 PM

Roddy...

*runs away*

forza rovers
01/03/2008, 8:49 PM
What do you mean by young. Perhaps, 'cos you grow up with some of the current mangers, you don't see them as too old.

Do you mean clubs at the tiptop of the Premier Division. Is Eddie Gormley or John McDonnell still young.

The league has always had its fair share of player-managers. Sligo Rovers went through a proud spell of training up managers in the 1990's. And were successful to boot.

That Paul Doolin has no hair, he must 100...110. (medal count anyway).
age wise i mean

sligoman
01/03/2008, 9:33 PM
What managers have started out in the LoI and gone on to manage elsewhere in recent times? I know of Sam Allardyce and Lawrie Sanchez.. Any others?Steve Cotterill.

stann
02/03/2008, 6:12 PM
I'd guess the youngest is Cronin at 33.
I don't know what age Kerley is, but I think he's older than that, maybe 36 or thereabouts, same as Stephen Kenny. That's from FM2006 though. :D
Pat Scully is 37, Tony Cousins 38 and Nutsy will be 39 in a few days. :)

sligoman
02/03/2008, 6:21 PM
Paul Cook turned 41 the week before last.

HarpoJoyce
02/03/2008, 8:11 PM
age wise i mean

Everything thing above is correct. I'm only identifing ForzaRovers 'cos he identified me.
There is no/nay bother/problema ForzaRovers. Forza ForzaRovers is uno response.

A link to a Bohemiam 1984-1985 squad picture.
http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/history/image-archive.htm
http://www.bohemians.ie/images/stories/hist/1984-5team.jpg
Billy Youmg[I] was the manager. Also , I didn't count, where everyone is, but either there is an individual commitment shown to League of Ireland football or elephants and Elverys have alot to answer for.

For me, I trust the simple argument of football on the pitch.

Every fan should be proud of the [I]very nearest of the sportsmen shown.

sligoman
02/03/2008, 8:15 PM
everything thing above is correct. I 'm onlt indifying ForzaRovers 'cos he idebtified me.

A link to a Bohemiam 1984-1985 squad picture.
http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/history/image-archive.htm

Billy Youmg[I] was the manager. Also , I didn't count, where everyone is, but either there is an individual commitment shown to League of Ireland football or elephants and Elverys have alot to answer for.

For me, I trust the simple argument of football on the pitch.

Every fan should be proud of the [I]very nearest of the sportsmen shown.Are you sober typing this?;)

HarpoJoyce
02/03/2008, 8:25 PM
Are you sober typing this?;)
Am I every sober?

KianD
02/03/2008, 9:51 PM
John Ward? Don't believe he ever did, no. Fair list of FL teams he managed, though - can remember he managed both sides of the Bristol rivarly too!

dancinpants
03/03/2008, 2:17 AM
Am I every sober?

It would appear not.

KevB76
03/03/2008, 6:05 PM
I'd guess the youngest is Cronin at 33.
I don't know what age Kerley is, but I think he's older than that, maybe 36 or thereabouts, same as Stephen Kenny.

Yes, Mike Kerley is 36