PDA

View Full Version : Trapattoni era

Pages : [1] 2

geysir
01/03/2008, 10:27 AM
The Trapattoni era is warming up already with Trap taking control.

There is a good article in the Examiner about Trap, his attention to the details of needs of management and his preparation.
Trap era (http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=56662-qqqx=1.asp)

So far, Tardelli appointed as we all know, who will attend the EPL games, will take in the u21 game in Galway followed by the OWC v Georgia.
Talks with Brady over a day and a half.
Training session in Portugal, flight times,eating times and training times.
training games organized through Trap's local contacts.
Getting to Montenegro from Georgia.

Stuttgart88
01/03/2008, 12:10 PM
Any role for Mick Byrne?

Newryrep
01/03/2008, 1:08 PM
Doesnt Tardelli officially start today ?

geysir
01/03/2008, 1:23 PM
Mick Byrne?
No role for Mick until we can see that Diploma.

tetsujin1979
01/03/2008, 2:00 PM
Similar articles in the Indo today
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-lays-down-law-1303123.html
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-sets-out--blueprints-for-ireland-squad-1303136.html

geysir
01/03/2008, 6:53 PM
Similar as in subject matter but only a shadow of the Examiner article in quality, quantity and overall presentation.

Billsthoughts
01/03/2008, 6:56 PM
adds a "Jaysus" to John Delaneys comments..Has Trapp realised the scale of the task facing him.

Fr. Murphy
01/03/2008, 7:03 PM
Any role for Mick Byrne?

God I hope not

OwlsFan
02/03/2008, 7:50 AM
adds a "Jaysus" to John Delaneys comments..Has Trapp realised the scale of the task facing him.

Well the article states he has looked at dvds of our games over the past 2 years so he certainly should have.

HarpoJoyce
02/03/2008, 9:50 AM
Well the article states he has looked at dvds of our games over the past 2 years so he certainly should have.

Maybe want it means is that, over the last two years Trappatoni has looked at DVDs of Ireland games. He's liked us for longer than we knew.

NeilMcD
02/03/2008, 11:58 AM
Delaney gave the DVDs to Trap a few weeks ago and he has watched them and now he wants more DVDs some romantic comedies and some off beat dramas maybe.

Stuttgart88
02/03/2008, 2:05 PM
God I hope notI was joking!

paul_oshea
02/03/2008, 3:27 PM
do you think that the FAI uses the examiner as its main outlet for the media, as they haven;t written anything to controversial about the players or FAI themselves....the examiner seems to have every lead now.

Superhoops
02/03/2008, 4:30 PM
do you think that the FAI uses the examiner as its main outlet for the media, as they haven;t written anything to controversial about the players or FAI themselves....the examiner seems to have every lead now.
It might be something to do with the fact that Liam Mackey is a good journalist who sticks to facts when writing, unlike some of his press colleagues who use speculation, fabrication and fictitious unnamed sources for their 'controversial' column inches.

NeilMcD
02/03/2008, 5:24 PM
I think the Dailys are quite good, Emmet Malone, Daniel Mc Donnell and Liam Mackey are all good journalists. Even the tabloid dailies are not the worst with Lennon and Riordan and Fitzmaurice all decent enough too.

geysir
02/03/2008, 5:35 PM
We'll even forgive Mackey for him saying that we were guided by the hysterical voices in Dunphy's head about Venables.

Paulie
03/03/2008, 12:37 PM
Is there any chance the article from the Examiner could be pasted on here? I know the Independent article is supposed to be fairly similar but it was stated that the Examiner article is a better piece.

OwlsFan
03/03/2008, 12:41 PM
Is there any chance the article from the Examiner could be pasted on here? I know the Independent article is supposed to be fairly similar but it was stated that the Examiner article is a better piece.

There's a link to it in the first post :confused:

Paulie
03/03/2008, 12:43 PM
There's a link to it in the first post :confused:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I can't open that link so I was asking if someone could cut and paste the text of the article.

geysir
03/03/2008, 3:19 PM
The Examiner article has been shifted to here (http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/03/01/story56662.asp)

Bluebeard
03/03/2008, 3:30 PM
I think the Dailys are quite good, Emmet Malone, Daniel Mc Donnell and Liam Mackey are all good journalists. Even the tabloid dailies are not the worst with Lennon and Riordan and Fitzmaurice all decent enough too.

Which leads to the obvious question of who are the worst for giving updates on Irish Football related matters.

It has got to be close between the FAI website and Aertel.

Paulie
03/03/2008, 3:38 PM
The Examiner article has been shifted to here (http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/03/01/story56662.asp)

Yeah, I was able to open that. Thanks.

NeilMcD
03/03/2008, 4:20 PM
Which leads to the obvious question of who are the worst for giving updates on Irish Football related matters.

It has got to be close between the FAI website and Aertel.

No DIon Fanning, Cathal Dervan and Hyland in the Herald are the worst of the lot, I am not mad about O Brien.

mypost
04/03/2008, 4:35 PM

Rumour has it that he spent most of that time with his head in his hands. "Ees sisa sheeta wata I hava worka witha" :D

Yes, that's the rubbish you have to work with for the next 2 years. :o

Wolfie
11/03/2008, 1:07 PM
Friday's Indo. Trapp must have thought those DVD's were video nasties. Honest comments of his impressions of where were at though.

"Meanwhile, Trapattoni has spoken again about the task in hand in turning around Ireland's fortunes and compared the situation when he takes over in May to that which he experienced when taking over his current job as boss of Red Bull Salzburg.

"At the moment I think, for me, Ireland is like this team in Austria," he said. "They are at the moment not good. They need someone they can trust and I think I can work there to help their quality."

However, the 68-year-old accepts that it will be a more testing challenge in terms of implementing his regime given that he won't see the Irish players on a day-to-day basis.

Conditioning

"With club teams you can do things every day. The exercise, mentality and control, the conditioning are up to you. With a national team, the players come from other teams and you only have a few days with them. It's not an easy job. Whether it's England, Italy, Ireland or Austria there is a very big difference."

Trapattoni's new position has been of particular interest outside these shores as it goes in tandem with Fabio Capello's arrival into the English hot-seat, but he says it is wrong to draw comparisons between their contrasting situations.

"It's different for the players from England, they are famous," he added.

"In Ireland I am a little lucky though, there are some 15 players in the top league in England, so I think they know of international football.

"But I will need their trust because the last result [Euro 2008 campaign] was not very good. It is a young team and this is a very important moment."

paul_oshea
11/03/2008, 1:50 PM
what would staunton say about the result not being very good?! We only lost blah blah blah. My god some people are awful arrogant and delusional.

mypost
11/03/2008, 2:01 PM
what would staunton say about the result not being very good?! We only lost blah blah blah. My god some people are awful arrogant and delusional.

"You tell me"

"We've got a plan"

"We've only qualified for one of the last 8 tournaments"

"We've no right to beat top teams"..........

:rolleyes: :D

geysir
11/03/2008, 3:09 PM
Friday's Indo. Trapp must have thought those DVD's were video nasties. Honest comments of his impressions of where were at though.
The record for me in Stan's era was just how many recordings I deleted immediatly after the game.
Of the 4 that I kept, when I went back to see what was there, there was nothing except the studio talk. Not that I was too shattered by that. I think there must be some protection on the rte sky satellite transmissions stopping you recording it onto a dvd or an ext hard drive.

"They are at the moment not good. They need someone they can trust and I think I can work there to help their quality."

"But I will need their trust because the last result [Euro 2008 campaign] was not very good. It is a young team and this is a very important moment."
I take it that Trap's theme is 'Trust in me and we shall deliver'.

Razors left peg
11/03/2008, 6:05 PM
Now that the management team has being assembled we have 2 assistant managers and a fitness coach.... What about a goalkeeping coach???

Qwerty
11/03/2008, 9:02 PM
Now that's a cushy number. Maybe Dean Kiely would like to tag along with the national side again but in a player coach capacity? :D

NeilMcD
12/03/2008, 10:53 AM
The fitness coach is also meant to double up as a goalkeeping coach. That is what I read anyway.

OwlsFan
13/03/2008, 1:09 PM
O'Shea has given his appointment a "big thumbs up" :D

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2973

geysir
31/03/2008, 4:07 PM
TWO THUMBS UP (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=31607) from Claudio Ranieri for our management team.
The long list of glowing tributes to the great one before we have even kicked a ball under the tutelage of our great maestro is surely auspicious. Glory beckons.

“zx$%&, like Trapattoni, is a great champion. Wherever they go, they win trophies and I’m sure under them, &%$%&/ and the Republic of Ireland can do great things.

“This is the influence of the Italian game. I love the Italian game, and this is a bit of what we are bringing to English and Irish football.”

Seagull-4-life
31/03/2008, 4:14 PM
I'm not going to pass comment until I see us play

geysir
07/04/2008, 12:52 PM
Tardelli is in Ireland for a month. He will take English lessons in advance of the squad meet up in May.
Fortunately he will only have to learn about 200 words to effect any conversation with most players. The trick will be to know which words to learn.

O'Donnell in the Indo hints at reports that O'Brien and Finnan have rejected an invitation to join up with the squad for the next 2 friendlies.

jmurphyc
07/04/2008, 1:05 PM
O'Donnell in the Indo hints at reports that O'Brien and Finnan have rejected an invitation to join up with the squad for the next 2 friendlies.

Damn. I was really hoping they'd change their minds. Hopefully once Trap is finished in Austria he'll be able to have a word and be a bit more persuasive than Tardelli or Brady.

carloz
07/04/2008, 1:27 PM
Whatever about Finnan but O'Brien is in his 20s. I was always a fan of his and felt Stan treated himn appalingly after Cyprus, but he is only in his prime as a central defender. Says it all if he is willing to jack it all in at that age

geysir
07/04/2008, 2:07 PM
I suppose the matter has already been well discussed.

To sound a bit like Father Trendy.
The door has closed but the key is still in it.

Morbo
08/04/2008, 9:39 AM
I hate to say I told ye so but I've said all along that there was no chance of Finnan returning, was a little disappointed in Brady saying we needed these players, yes they would improve our chances but saying we need them just makes us sound needy

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 9:52 AM
Its only a hint nothing has come out on it since his initial comment.

geysir
08/04/2008, 10:02 AM
Carsley was musing (http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/07/Internat-Carsley-questions-Brady-role/?facets/football/) about some possible anticipation in the squad about Brady making the transition from pundit to backroom staff.

But Carsley admits that we've not well and that he doesn't know what Liam wrote or said on RTE :)
I think it's safe to say that Brady was the most reluctant of the RTE crew to criticize Stan and whatever he said was measured to the brim.

NeilMcD
08/04/2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe Carsley is afraid that Brady will want passers of the ball.

geysir
08/04/2008, 11:32 AM
I was just thinking of the conversation when Liam meets Lee and they have a chat about Lee's passing game.

Shedender81
08/04/2008, 12:07 PM
Liam should bring his medals and Caps with him and give the Irish players a look... Really Lee Carsley has some cheek to question Brady .

gustavo
08/04/2008, 12:10 PM
Liam should bring his medals and Caps with him and give the Irish players a look... Really Lee Carsley has some cheek to question Brady .

Yes because ability as a player is totally related to ability as a coach as everyone knows :rolleyes:

Wolfie
08/04/2008, 12:32 PM
From today's Indo

Trap's lieutenants on front-line duty

Liam Brady, seen here alongside John Delaney, will be unveiled as part of the new Ireland international managerial set-up alongside Marco Tardelli today

Tuesday April 08 2008

This afternoon, Marco Tardelli and Liam Brady will be present at the FAI's HQ in Abbotstown as the starter to the main course that will be Giovanni Trapattoni's May Day unveiling as Irish manager.

While the assistant bosses have been busy in their respective duties since March 1, they will be officially rolled out in front of the media today to talk about their work so far and the challenges that lie ahead. Both have remained relatively tight-lipped since the excitement in February which surrounded the installation of the new regime.

Many questions still linger, so while the boss man may be absent, his lieutenants should be able to give a clearer picture on a number of significant headings with an eye to the not too distant future.

1 The logistics

We know who the gaffer is and who, essentially, the buck stops with this time around but the respective roles of the assistants need to be outlined. Who will be prowling the training ground with whistle in mouth calling the training drills? How much of Brady's role is about football input and how much is about translation, as Roy Keane so pointedly said last week?

Presumably, as the initial number two appointment, Tardelli will be the man with the balls and cones but after the confusion over Brady's title, the Dubliner will have to give an indication of what Trapattoni wants from him in the build-up to a match once he has fulfiled his initial task of giving him a history lesson on the players at his disposal.

2 The grudges

While it had been brushed away in many quarters, Lee Carsley did reveal at the weekend that players have taken issue with some of Liam Brady's comments as an RTE pundit in the past. With those comments on the record, Brady should be unable to bat this issue away without acknowledging it might exist.

He may be reluctant to say so publicly, but it's clear that sooner rather than later any issues that might exist between Brady and the players need to be ironed out. His response to Carsley's comments should be of interest.

3 The language

With one day's English tuition under his belt, it will be a bit too much to expect Tardelli to be holding court with all the nuances of the local lingo in his repertoire. However, a wider issue to be addressed is that of language within the Irish dressing room.

Considering that Trapattoni, who speaks broken, although relatively coherent, English, will only meet the players for the first time before the Algarve trip then the issue of how instructions will be delivered will require some kind of explanation. Particularly as some of the Venables supporting players, such as Richard Dunne, had expressed concerns in this regard prior to the final week of the managerial search.

4 The expectations

After a month of taking in matches and watching first hand most of the Irish Premiership contingent, the observations of Tardelli, in particular, will be informative. While Brady knew plenty about the players in question, the first impressions of the Italian will be intriguing.

His enthusiasm about qualifying for the World Cup may have increased or wavered as a result of what he's seen although it's likely that a positive spin will be put on today regardless. Perhaps of more substance will be his views on Bulgaria after taking in their friendly against Finland last week.

Similarly, Brady will offer his analysis on Georgia after their 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Northern Ireland last week which ended the tenure of Klaus Toppmoller.

5 The exiles

Reports at the weekend suggested Steve Finnan and Andy O'Brien had rejected initial overtures to bring them back into the Irish set-up. Brady and Tardelli will need to clarify if there is any truth behind this and, if so, were the refusals related to Algarve camp or the upcoming World Cup campaign?

And then there's Stephen Ireland. He has stated his desire to return to the camp and his club manager Sven Goran Eriksson is pals with Trapattoni. Brady and Tardelli also chose to take in Man City on their first weekend although Ireland remained on the bench for that game with Reading.

The last figure of authority in Irish football to speak about the Cobh youngster was Don Givens and his comments hardly diffused the situation.

Don't be surprised if Brady and Tardelli take a somewhat different stance.

Shedender81
08/04/2008, 12:43 PM
Yes because ability as a player is totally related to ability as a coach as everyone knows :rolleyes:

I dont think Liam would be at the Arsenal if couldnt cut it.... Remember, Kerr was accused of not having the medals or caps....

The bottom line is this is best setup we have had in years in terms of men who have seen it and done it...Its down to the players who have been cowards since 2002.... yes harsh word but thats how they have preformed COWARDS !!!!

Blame the press / RTE etc .... When the cross the line we expect 100% effort it should be a given... but I am not sure most of these guys can take the pressure

Razors left peg
08/04/2008, 5:03 PM
Alan Kelly in as Goalkeeping coach

colster
08/04/2008, 5:08 PM
I hate to say I told ye so but I've said all along that there was no chance of Finnan returning, was a little disappointed in Brady saying we needed these players, yes they would improve our chances but saying we need them just makes us sound needy

He's agreed to meet Brady and Trap so there is still a chance.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0408/ireland.html

geysir
08/04/2008, 6:54 PM
It doesn't look like direct lines of communication were opened with any of the dodgy players yet. Stephen Ireland wasn't approached, just named in the squad after a chat with Sven.
So I'd assume that neither Finnan or O'Brien were approached directly about being a part of this squad.