PDA

View Full Version : Martin Keown

NeilMcD
28/02/2008, 6:00 PM
Just listening to an interview there with him, with Eamon Holmes on BBC Radio. Comes across very well and talking about his links with Ireland. A lot of his family wanted him to play for Ireland but his Dad said play for the country of your birth.

Great man marker and someone we could have done with in the early McCarthy years.

cheifo
28/02/2008, 11:30 PM
The man is a legend.AAH they dont make em like they use to.

tetsujin1979
29/02/2008, 12:15 AM
Any truth in the rumour that he speaks Irish?

Olander
29/02/2008, 12:18 AM
i met him :) his sister lives in Claregalway and he came over for a holiday, his kids are crap at football! :D

lovely man and good football player, the night b4 i met him he was out till 4 am in the pub and then he got up at 7am for an hour jog!!

John83
29/02/2008, 9:37 AM
I'm always surprised when I here Keown speak. For some reason, I expect him to sound like this (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Star_Wars&quote=roar.txt&file=roar.wav), but instead he's actually a very eloquent speaker for a footballer.

Morbo
29/02/2008, 4:18 PM
I'll always remember him as the guy jumping and screaming with laughter in RVN's face after RVN missed that penatly, funny stuff.
Would have been great tho have him in the McCarthy era alright, I reckon we would have qualified for 1 or 2 of the 3 campaings we missed out on if we had him

beautifulrock
29/02/2008, 4:24 PM
Just listening to an interview there with him, with Eamon Holmes on BBC Radio. Comes across very well and talking about his links with Ireland. A lot of his family wanted him to play for Ireland but his Dad said play for the country of your birth.

Great man marker and someone we could have done with in the early McCarthy years.

sounds interesting Neil, was it on Radio 5? will pick up in on BBCi

Poor Student
29/02/2008, 4:39 PM
I'm always surprised when I here Keown speak. For some reason, I expect him to sound like this (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Star_Wars&quote=roar.txt&file=roar.wav), but instead he's actually a very eloquent speaker for a footballer.

I saw part of a segment on Football Focus last weekend where he was training the Oxford University team and I agree with you. He seemed reasonably articulate and was making very intelligent points on the development of technique at grassroots level.

NeilMcD
01/03/2008, 5:07 PM
sounds interesting Neil, was it on Radio 5? will pick up in on BBCi

If you podcast the Eamon Holmes show you can get it. It was a couple of weeks ago before the Cup match between Man Utd and Arsenal.

Stevo Da Gull
01/03/2008, 9:11 PM
Absolute legend, one of the underrated players of his era IMO.:ball:

shanman2
02/03/2008, 12:18 PM
Keown is probably the most ignorant footballer I have ever seen his treatment of Ruud Van Horsehead was digraceful at Old Trafford. He was a good not great defender.

NeilMcD
02/03/2008, 12:34 PM
I think your use of the word ignorant there is not really appropriate. Ignorance means lack of knowledge I am not sure how he was ignorant as a footballer. I did not like his manners on the pitch that day but he is a very clever guy who is quite articulate about football. I don't think he should be remembered for that one occasion.

Morbo
02/03/2008, 4:04 PM
Keown is probably the most ignorant footballer I have ever seen his treatment of Ruud Van Horsehead was digraceful at Old Trafford. He was a good not great defender.
How exactly does that make him ignorant? the fact that he doesn't like playactors makes him ignorant? RVN is a piece of crap, even a fair few Man U fans I've talked to don't really like the man

cheifo
03/03/2008, 4:40 PM

AAh come on now it was funny.Those titanic Arsenal-Man U clashes were always good value because both teams had players who played for the jersey.

Kingdom
05/03/2008, 12:15 PM
One of the rare breed of footballer that can speak properly without using clichés and he also has a few innovative ideas from the few times I've seen him on tv.