PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeeper options

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
28/02/2008, 12:28 PM
Do we have any option in the absence of Given (now seemingly becoming more injury prone)? Kenny scored a nice OG last night (shame for Sheff Utd ;)), Deano is doing ok at WBA, Colgan is at mighty Barnsley? Any other options? Darren Randolph on loan at Bury from Charlton. Doyle (Birmingham) - don't think he's getting a game there or is he? Not forgetting Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe).

Looks a bit bleak if Given isn't fit.

tetsujin1979
28/02/2008, 12:36 PM
List of keepers playing in England and Scotland: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/positionDetails.xquery

Hibs4Ever
28/02/2008, 1:09 PM
Colgan is at Ipswich now

NeilMcD
28/02/2008, 1:33 PM
Kenny was probably man of the match last night and that goal was very very unlucky.

carloz
28/02/2008, 1:58 PM
Kenny was probably man of the match last night and that goal was very very unlucky.

Exactly. Dont get blinkered by the fact he scored an OG. It was a freak goal he could do nothing about. He was excellent for the rest of the game

Saint07
28/02/2008, 2:09 PM
Ipswich sent Shane Supple on loan to Falkirk to get some experience and he's been sitting on the bench. Was reading in the paper the other day that Jim Magilton isn't happy with this.

Dr. Ogba
28/02/2008, 2:13 PM
Joe Murphy and Paddy Kenny should be the reserve keepers imho...

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 2:15 PM
Best keeper we have by far after Shayse is Paddy Kenny simple as.As Carlos so elequently put it."It was a freak goal''

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 2:18 PM
Kenny was class last night but my mate seems to think both him and Kiely have packed it in. (I think they might have).

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 3:05 PM
Kiely has for sure but i think Kenny is all clear after his personal problems during the last campaign. Looks better too with the extra hair.:)

finnpark
28/02/2008, 3:09 PM
Colgan is at Ipswich now

Hes a scottish league reject.

finnpark
28/02/2008, 3:10 PM

How did he play against Cyprus?

OwlsFan
28/02/2008, 3:14 PM

Goalkeeper motm against 'Boro :D Didn't see the game but doubt if he was too busy.

I have obviously seen a fair bit of Kenny and he is probably the 2nd best keeper we have but unfortunately that's not saying much. He can be ordinary at times and then produce a stunning save out of the blue (or should I say red?).

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 3:16 PM

Sh!t but the rest of the team were no better. One bad game does not mean he has to be deleted from the face of the earth now does it?

beautifulrock
28/02/2008, 3:19 PM
Exactly. Dont get blinkered by the fact he scored an OG. It was a freak goal he could do nothing about. He was excellent for the rest of the game

Agreed he played well but thought his reactions were painfully slow, he had already given up on the first shot and then when it came to him off the post he was not in a position to deal with.

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 3:29 PM
Agreed he played well but thought his reactions were painfully slow, he had already given up on the first shot and then when it came to him off the post he was not in a position to deal with.

Who do you think he is Superman? Jaysus some people!

beautifulrock
28/02/2008, 3:37 PM
Who do you think he is Superman? Jaysus some people!

well done great comment, :rolleyes: Yes I expect a keeper to get to his feet as quickly as possible, it is a major part of their training. Your name sums you up by the looks of things.

deecay
28/02/2008, 3:39 PM
Thats one game,hes out on his own as no.2 to Given.Ye dont understand anything up there

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 3:47 PM
well done great comment, :rolleyes: Yes I expect a keeper to get to his feet as quickly as possible, it is a major part of their training. Your name sums you up by the looks of things.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.I dont think we as a nation get enough of praise for our hard work. Anyhow tell me what keeper would have saved it or have you just got a chip on your shoulder in regard to poor Paddy?

beautifulrock
28/02/2008, 4:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.I dont think we as a nation get enough of praise for our hard work. Anyhow tell me what keeper would have saved it or have you just got a chip on your shoulder in regard to poor Paddy?

The ignore button is a great asset on this forum, use it wisely :D

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 4:06 PM
Given's 31 now, in April he'll be 32 so by the world cup he'll be 34. Might want to retire then (especially if we don't qualify).

frankbrett
28/02/2008, 4:18 PM
I see that Luton keeper Dean Brill is on that list of keepers posted from the chatsoccer database.
He looked pretty good against Liverpool.
Where does it say he is qualified to play for us?

Morbo
28/02/2008, 4:38 PM
Given's 31 now, in April he'll be 32 so by the world cup he'll be 34. Might want to retire then (especially if we don't qualify).

Hope not, he's a goalie, 34 isn't that old, wasn't Semen still getting on the English team at 40 or late 30's or there abouts?

beautifulrock
28/02/2008, 4:39 PM
Hope not, he's a goalie, 34 isn't that old, wasn't Semen still getting on the English team at 40 or late 30's or there abouts?

Dino Zoff aand Shilton in the same both, goalkeepers certainly have a longer shelf life than outfield player for obvious reason I guess.

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 4:42 PM
Dino Zoff aand Shilton in the same both, goalkeepers certainly have a longer shelf life than outfield player for obvious reason I guess.
Ye but his groins been at him for years. Might persuade him to hang up the gloves early

eirebhoy
28/02/2008, 4:53 PM
Lehmann is still Germany's first choice and he's 39 this year.

jbyrne
28/02/2008, 4:57 PM

harsh.... the first shot took a mad deflection and he was left stranded as a result. very unlucky in the way it came back to him

Serb
28/02/2008, 4:59 PM
[...] wasn't Semen still getting on the English team [...]

An unfortunate typo.

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 5:05 PM
:D:D:D
An unfortunate typo.

geysir
28/02/2008, 5:09 PM
Has Paddy Kenny been doing some serious slimming? He looks too skinny now as well as too small.

seanfhear
28/02/2008, 5:09 PM
kiely was and is the next best behind given and at his best not far behind given.I think he got dissulusioned at very rarely getting a game even when his form was on a par with given.whisper it but maybe we overate given
Afterall none of the big clubs have ever come in for him

Over the post
28/02/2008, 5:17 PM
Don't know about overrating him, but he's certainly streets ahead of our other options. Let's hope he plays on for long enough for some of the younger keepers (Supple, Doyle) to develop.

Speaking of the length of keepers' playing careers, Valencia keeper Santiago CaƱizares is over 38 was playing regularly until the fiasco at the club this season.

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 5:28 PM
Don't know about overrating him, but he's certainly streets ahead of our other options. Let's hope he plays on for long enough for some of the younger keepers (Supple, Doyle) to develop.

Speaking of the length of keepers' playing careers, Valencia keeper Santiago CaƱizares is over 38 was playing regularly until the fiasco at the club this season.

Where's he gone?

Morbo
28/02/2008, 6:22 PM
An unfortunate typo.
Seaman/Semen whats the difference?
Anyway Seaman was still playing at 40 I think although he might have played a bit too long for England as Ronaldihno added insult to injury to them in 2002 by lobbing over Semen from 30+ yards

Morbo
28/02/2008, 6:57 PM
kiely was and is the next best behind given and at his best not far behind given.I think he got dissulusioned at very rarely getting a game even when his form was on a par with given.whisper it but maybe we overate given
Afterall none of the big clubs have ever come in for him
Ya but none of the big clubs came in for Kiely either, maybe for a short while there was a time when Kiely was actually playing better than Given and he could have got a few more starts but he was never going to permanently replace Given but he would have gotten his chance had he waited around what with all Given's groin problems.

neville neville
28/02/2008, 6:59 PM
I heard a murmur that stan was not gong to pick kenny again as he went home "injured" before the Czech game, when there was nothing wrong with him. fresh start under trapp???

Stuttgart88
28/02/2008, 8:18 PM
David James is in the best form of his life. He's 38 or 39.

Kiely is still playing very well at 39 - he'd be my favoured second choice if Shay is injured.

I think Kenny is decent but he'll need to be mentally strong to come back into the Irish fold. A friendly run out to banish to ghosts of Cyprus may be a good idea.

I think he was made scapegoat for Cyprus, unfairly, and Stan handled it badly by allowing this to happen. He came for a cross and missed it allowing the centre forward to glance the ball into an empty net, but that was his only real error. The cross should never have been allowed in anyway. O'Shea stood off his man.

It's been forgotten that in the first minute he made an important 1-on-1 stop when Finnan woefully underhit a back pass. In the last minute of the first half, seconds after Dunne's equaliser, he made a super fingertip save, tipping the ball onto the bar.

He went the wrong way for a penalty, hardly a criminal error, and could have done nothing for the others.

I'd point out about 4 or 5 performances that day that were worse than Kenny's. Finnan, O'Brien, Ireland, Kilbane, O'Shea...

Anyone remember the sitter Robbie missed trying to head the ball back across the goal but placing it wide?

Now, whether Kenny has the confidence of his defenders and can orgaise is another issue, one you can't tell on TV. By all accounts he's been excellent for his club for ages though.

I don't think the reserve goalie spot should be given out on the basis of promise. Maybe the 3rd keeper spot could go to a youngster like Doyle or Henderson if fit, but not to a teenager or a 20 year old.

Personally I don't rate Joe Murphy. I think he makes too many of the type of error that shows he has found his level at Scunthorpe. All second/third tier keepers make great saves from time to time but it doesn't mean he can be trusted at the level we need.

shakermaker1982
28/02/2008, 8:32 PM
what's up with Henderson - has always been solid for us. No game time for ages at Preston.

Marlon Harewood colliding with Shay has caused all these injury problems - he hasn't been right since. It was disgusting how Hunt got made a scapegoat for Cech's injury's yet there the incident involving Given was just one of those things.

finnpark
28/02/2008, 9:19 PM
List of keepers playing in England and Scotland: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/positionDetails.xquery

Colin Doyle is definitely the best of a very bad bunch.

Bohs' keeper Murphy is better than any of those imo. :)

Please God don't let him pick Henderson.

eirebhoy
28/02/2008, 9:31 PM
The EL is definitely somewhere we should be looking for keepers. It shouldn't be too hard to tell how good a keeper no matter what the level.

dr_peepee
28/02/2008, 9:36 PM
Did anyone get confirmation on the Young keeper from the other thread that just signed for Portsmouth from QPR Liam O'Brien???

I tell ye, if it's another Jamie O'Hara situation I'll be sick.

tetsujin1979
28/02/2008, 11:07 PM
I see that Luton keeper Dean Brill is on that list of keepers posted from the chatsoccer database.
He looked pretty good against Liverpool.
Where does it say he is qualified to play for us?

Stuttgart88 told me to do it - http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=748426&postcount=116 - blame him ;)

theworm2345
29/02/2008, 3:46 AM
Sh!t but the rest of the team were no better. One bad game does not mean he has to be deleted from the face of the earth now does it?
You'd be surprised with some Irish fans...

drummerboy
29/02/2008, 7:57 AM
I seen Colin Doyle play last year and he was absolutely brilliant. He started off this season ahead of the experienced Miek Taylor, but he made a shakey start to the season and Bruce decided to go with experience. Taylor has taken his chance. But I think Doyle will eventually get back in and go on to fulfill his obvious potential.

Deckydee
29/02/2008, 8:41 AM
How about that 'wonder kid' Liam O'Brien from Portsmouth? Supposed to the best young keeper around

Guidedbyvoices
29/02/2008, 8:47 AM
How about that 'wonder kid' Liam O'Brien from Portsmouth? Supposed to the best young keeper around

The name sounds about right but has he declared for us?

BigmanCas
29/02/2008, 8:56 AM
I met Paddy Kenny in the Porterhouse - bottom of Grafton Street one friday before Xmas and I got talking to him - around the time they played Cyprus in croker. He seemed a nice lad. On leaving I asked him 'where was Lee Carsley in Cyprus'? to which he replied with his hands up in the air 'where was I'!!!! He is a legend around Sheffield for his heroics in goal and Stan treated him very badly after Nicosia.. He is a shoe in as Given's number two and he is a bit of craic to boot. Unlucky against boro on wed.

Stuttgart88
29/02/2008, 9:07 AM
I seen Colin Doyle play last year and he was absolutely brilliant. He started off this season ahead of the experienced Miek Taylor, but he made a shakey start to the season and Bruce decided to go with experience. Taylor has taken his chance. But I think Doyle will eventually get back in and go on to fulfill his obvious potential.Yep, I'd agree with that. Superb physique for a keeper too.

Stuttgart88
29/02/2008, 9:09 AM
Stuttgart88 told me to do it Jesus, I hope you're never in court.

About a year ago Stan said publicly that Dean Brill qualifies for us. I'm not sure what the context was but probably about looking at players in the lower leagues in context of a B game or whatever.

NeilMcD
29/02/2008, 9:14 AM
Stan also said I am the gaffer and we see what happend there !!!:)