PDA

View Full Version : Tribesmen 0 Thoroughbreds 1

Estar
02/07/2003, 11:17 AM
A very enjoyable game.
It had loads of talking points. Did Kildare score a goal that wasn't!
Was the Galway Goal offside? Huge Forde going up for a corner!
A WWF style wrestling match in the centre circle after Gorman was fouled involving 15-16 players. A cameo appearence by John Ryan. An own goal by a Galway player (their second one against Kildare this season).
I thought the ref (looks like a surfing dude) did his best to let the game flow.

Man of the match - Big Ben Whelahan head and shoulder above everyone else, marked Alan Murphy well who was always a real danger.

1. Russell 9/10
2. Daisy 9/10
3. Alan Kelly 8/10
4. Ben 10/10
5. Razzor 8/10
6. Rogers 7/10 Cotsy 7/10
7. Scully 7/10
8. Zellor 5/10(must have been injured before the game) P.Gorman 7/10

9. P.Hughes 7/10 J.Ryan 7/10
10. B O'Connor 7/10
11 . Mc Nevin 7/10

Good players for Galway Murphy,Goldbey, Folan and their dirty number 5 (Frawley I think).

We can go top if we beat Harps on Saturday.

:D :D :D :D :D

Countyman
02/07/2003, 11:57 AM
Was alan kelly playing left full??

were was jock??

great to see Rogers back . I'm a big fan.

Estar
02/07/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Countyman
Was alan kelly playing left full??

were was jock??

great to see Rogers back . I'm a big fan.

alan kelly playing left full - wierd but true, got roasted in the first 5 minutes by the Galway no 11, but the linesman came to our rescue (no offside). But never gave an inch after that!

jock - injured was on the bench and joined in the kick abouts.

Rodgers had good game had some nice touches and got stuck in with a few hard challanges (didn't see that last year). Sure to improve in the next few weeks.

Just read a report saying the match "the sides produced a dour contest" going by past matches yes, but way OTT IMO (Had my beer goggles on). Heard a young girl say to her father it was great fun, can we go again to a match.

My Galway friends seemed to be very down after the match (due to my non stop slating of the Galway players and manager).

But beleive me they can sneek a play off spot.

Stop Murphy you stop Galway:)

Estar
02/07/2003, 1:10 PM
Just read from the Galway web site that captain Fortune, got his marching orders from the ref after the match was over. It couldn't be a Galway Utd v Kildare County match without a player or manager being sent off. This puts Fortune top of the pile with 2 as he was sent off at Station road last year, I bet he loves Kildare people:p

Estar
04/07/2003, 12:43 PM
Galway lose unbeaten sequence in bizarre fashion.

Not since last September had Galway United been overturned in Terryland Park, and despite a spirited, and occasionally tenacious
performance, it was the Thoroughbreds who garnered a scarcely merited victory following a fractured Eircom League encounter on Tuesday night.

United right full Mixie Harty, one of many United players who performed with distinction on the night, had the misfortune of hitting the game’s only goal in first-half stoppage time when a succession of errors in the United defence gave County the chance to score.

Despite the lapse in concentration, the United defence defended
in resolute fashion throughout with Conor Frawley and the combative Nigel Keady protecting the excellent Robert Forde.

Harty’s dashing runs from right full were not always rewarded, but his endeavour was a feature of the game. With Tony Folan pulling the midfield strings, the homesters began brightly. Dave
Goldbey, energetic throughout on the right, may lack composure on the ball, but his work rate and constant movement were troubling Kildare immensely and the former Mervue star gathered
plenty of possession and attempted to use it intelligently.

Folan flicked passes with customary aplomb and it was the former Brentford star who fashioned United’s most inventive move of the
evening just after the quarter hour. Folan found a strangely
subdued Alan Murphy and the Mayo magician wriggled free inside and found Benny Lawless inside the area. Unfortunately the All Ireland intermediate hurling medalist could not supply a finish
as his tame shot was capably dealt with by Kildare goalkeeper
Wayne Russell.

Just before the break concentration wavered in the Galwegian ranks and a host of errors allowed Kildare to steal the lead. Philly
Hughes’ right wing cross should have been prevented, yet Barry O’Connor, one of many experienced exponents in the county ranks, headed the ball off Harty and it trickled agonisingly past
Forde for a comic goal.

One of the positives Tony Mannion will glean from the game will be the manner in which his young team shouldered responsibility in the second half. Folan always sought possession, Harty did
his utmost at right full, Murphy was not at his heroic best but tried in vain, as did strike partner Barry Moran who battled earnestly. Substitute John Russell displayed some velvet touches
after entering proceedings in the final quarter.

Perspiration was not lacking from the United players, but on a schizophrenic July day weather wise, the footballing fare was of the same variety as United were not in the same mood for long
enough periods to attain a victory that would have enhanced the club’s promotion prospects.

Galway United: Forde, Harty, Keady, Frawley, Quirke, Goldbey, Fortune, Folan, Lawless (Russell74), Murphy, Moran.

Kildare County: Russell, Brennan, Kenny, Whelehan, Kelly, Zellor (Gorman,32), Rogers (C. O’Connor 86) Scully, McNevin, B. O’Connor, Hughes (Ryan 81).

Ref: A Kelly (Cork)

Galway United 0 Kildare County 1

Nice report but Galway had eigth of the team that beat us 3-0 the last time we played in Terryland.

Bring on The Harps
:p

Estar
16/07/2003, 7:04 PM
Soccer: Vital win in Galway

Galway Utd 0, Kildare County 1

THIS was a crucial victory for Kildare. They settled quickly and Peter Rogers had an early effort saved by Robbie Forde. Soon after, Wayne Russell had to be alert to avert a Benny Lawless shot.

County regained the momentum and Ben Whelehan was unlucky to see downward volley bounce off the turf and over the crossbar.

The goal finally came just before half-time, when Philip Hughes ran onto a Damien Brennan throw and delivered a searching cross. Barry O’Connor’s header squirmed through Harty’s legs before crossing the line... barely!

The hosts drove at the Thoroughbreds after the break. Tony Folan curled an early free kick just wide from 25 yards and Barry Moran missed a gilt-edged chance soon after.

County held firm though, although they must have breathed a sigh of relief when Alan Murphy’s goal entering the final 15 minutes was ruled out for off-side.

Kildare County: Russell, Brennan, Hutchison, Whelehan, Kenny, Rogers (C. O’Connor 85), Scully, Zeller (Gorman 32), Hughes (Ryan

80), B. O’Connor, McNevin.

Galway Utd: Forde, Harty, Quirke, Frawley, Keady, Fortune, Goldbey, Folan, Moran, Murphy, Lawless (Russell 73). Subs not used: Geragthy, Walsh, Carberry, Burke.