PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Sports News

Denis The Red
27/02/2008, 12:45 PM
What's the deal with Setanta Sports News? I thought they were Irish or at least Irish owned. But when I turned it on last night after the match between Drogs and Cliftonville there wasn't a mention about it, and they actually sponser the cup.
All the were talking about was some "Johnstone Paints Trophy" between Morecambe and Grimsby or something. Their top stories on the day Trappatoni was announced as Irish manager was about cricket.
Even their presenters and staff are all british.

JC_GUFC
27/02/2008, 1:04 PM
They're based in London along with Setanta 1, 2 & Setanta Golf.

Only Setanta Ireland is based here.

I think they are Irish owned and it is strange all the same that they didn't feature that match. Their "news" channel is dreadful, I thought Sky Sports News was bad but at least they create stories and have pictures. Setanta don't seem to have footage of a majority of the stories, so it's more surprising that they didn't give coverage to the competition even if it is in Eire....

Pauro 76
27/02/2008, 1:57 PM
And the Setanta News screen looks awful. All that yellow and black is an eyesore, and you can barely see the presenters at the bottom left....

back of the net
27/02/2008, 2:04 PM
What's the deal with Setanta Sports News? I thought they were Irish or at least Irish owned. But when I turned it on last night after the match between Drogs and Cliftonville there wasn't a mention about it, and they actually sponser the cup.
All the were talking about was some "Johnstone Paints Trophy" between Morecambe and Grimsby or something. Their top stories on the day Trappatoni was announced as Irish manager was about cricket.
Even their presenters and staff are all british.

the deal is .... its brutal

Denis The Red
27/02/2008, 2:06 PM
Cheers lads, that's cleared it up. Maybe these sky sports news wannabes might change the name now. Setanta is an IRISH mythical figure. Maybe they'll call it after one of their myhtical figures like Lancelot or Margaret Thatcher!!!!

Steve Bruce
27/02/2008, 3:02 PM
As far as I am aware, Setanta started out Irish, but since then, they have changed from being an Irish broadcaster, to being a British & Irish broadcaster.

The unfortunate thing is, whether we like it or not, there is a far bigger market in the UK than there is on this island. It’s unfortunate but is reality.

Serb
27/02/2008, 3:25 PM
Setanta is an Irish company as far as I know. The parent company is Setanta Sport Holdings Ltd whose head office is on Townsend Street in Dublin.

Setanta Sports News is slightly different as it is co-owned by Virgin Media & Setanta Sport Holdings, so it is probably more UK orientated because of the Virgin influence.

AustinoAsprilla
27/02/2008, 4:26 PM
Don't like there sports news channel at all... Strange how they didn't mention the SSC as I thought this would be one thing that would make it different to SSN and may cause a greater appeal if it actually gave news that SSN didn't...

cornerflag
27/02/2008, 4:50 PM
Setanta Sports News was created to replace Sky Sports News on the Virgin Media Digital service. There was some row between Virgin and Sky. Thats why there are no free to air Sky channels on Virgin digital. I think they might have just bought into the Setanta brand because to establish it quicker. ITN are the producers of the channel. You would think that such a well established news broadcaster would have better resources when it came to footage and pictures. I was really disappointed when i discovered that there was no coverage of Irish Soccer. Barely even a mention of the International scene.

jbyrne
28/02/2008, 11:37 AM
think the sports news channel is run by ITN so no surprise its very british orientated. heard setanta is due to be sold shortly for about €1bn. also think that although it was originally primarily Irish owned its now owned by many individuals

Jerry The Saint
28/02/2008, 3:32 PM
...started out Irish, but since then, they have changed from being Irish, to being British & Irish.

Just like the Six Counties! :)

Steve Bruce
28/02/2008, 3:37 PM
Just like the Six Counties! :)

I think i'll keep my opinions to myself about that.:rolleyes: