View Full Version : Setanta cup Game 1

Pages : [1] 2

micls
26/02/2008, 7:08 PM
City 1 up. Free kick from Georgie.

Still 0-0 between Drogheda and Cliftonville

Steve Bruce
26/02/2008, 7:22 PM
It says 1 nil Dungannon on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7263331.stm

centre mid
26/02/2008, 7:23 PM
defo cork 1-0

micls
26/02/2008, 7:23 PM
It says 1 nil Dungannon on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7263331.stm

A bit like Aertel are they :D

http://setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/26/SSC-Drogheda-U-v-Cliftonville-min-by-min/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/Setanta-Sports-Cup/

centre mid
26/02/2008, 7:24 PM
Zayed had half chance, poor control though

centre mid
26/02/2008, 7:25 PM
Cliftonville stright up other end, martin had big chance, cracking save

micls
26/02/2008, 7:30 PM
2-0 City. George again.

Welcome home!

Steve Bruce
26/02/2008, 7:38 PM
Dungannon will be whipping boys this year. In January they lost a lot of their main players to other teams in the Irish League and also to teams in England/Scotland.

Linfield destroyed them a couple of matches ago, luckily for them, we never had our shooting boots or it could have been embarrassing.

sligoman
26/02/2008, 8:06 PM
Poor defending for Zayed's goal.

Young Hov
26/02/2008, 8:18 PM
Anyone else slightly diturbed by the 'hold onto your trousers' remark on the setanta sports match updates page?

half_full
26/02/2008, 8:24 PM
poxy cliftonville:(

Steve Bruce
26/02/2008, 8:30 PM
Cliftonville are missing 5 first team players as well and they have a wafer thin squad. So suprized they are competing. Although still a good bit to go.

sligoman
26/02/2008, 8:37 PM
2-1, Baker. More shocking defending, Cliftonville just couldn't get it clear.

micls
26/02/2008, 8:39 PM
Drogs have been very poor overall imo.

I suppose its to be expected given its only their third game though.

dancinpants
26/02/2008, 8:39 PM
Cliftonville are missing 5 first team players as well and they have a wafer thin squad. So suprized they are competing. Although still a good bit to go.

Who are they missing?

And who all left Dungannon?

half_full
26/02/2008, 8:42 PM
Drogs have been very poor overall imo.

I suppose its to be expected given its only their third game though.

Not up for it IMO

sligoman
26/02/2008, 8:49 PM
3-1 Drogs, Zayed again.

EDIT: 3-2, quick equaliser:D Too late I'd say though.

Zayed picked as MOTM.

micls
26/02/2008, 8:52 PM
Cliftonville try to play football, and are good enough on the ball but very very poor defensively

half_full
26/02/2008, 8:54 PM
To be fair to them, they train twice a week whereas I'd say Drogheda train twice a day.

sligoman
26/02/2008, 8:56 PM
Cliftonville shot just cleared off the line:eek:. Late penalty decision turned down for Cliftonville.

All over, very unlucky not to get anything from this game.

micls
26/02/2008, 8:59 PM
Cliftonville robbed. Shouldve been a penalty

superfrank
26/02/2008, 9:17 PM
Caught the second half tonight.

Drogheda did well down the right, Shelley was outstanding. Two well-taken goals by Cliftonville. I didn't think it was a penalty but I didn't get to see a replay of it.

Guy Bates should've scored with his chance.

Rossi
26/02/2008, 9:30 PM
Cliftonville were not robbed. Drogheda were the better team on the night.

micls
26/02/2008, 9:32 PM
Cliftonville were not robbed. Drogheda were the better team on the night.

It should have been a penalty, which would have given them a draw.....so yes they were robbed.

AustinoAsprilla
26/02/2008, 9:32 PM
What was the Full time in the Cork game?

micls
26/02/2008, 9:33 PM
What was the Full time in the Cork game?

2-0 to us

waide
26/02/2008, 9:42 PM
Dungannon will be whipping boys this year. In January they lost a lot of their main players to other teams in the Irish League and also to teams in England/Scotland.

Linfield destroyed them a couple of matches ago, luckily for them, we never had our shooting boots or it could have been embarrassing.
Dungannon,ports and the glens have been whipping boys evert yime they qualify for the setanta,it it wasn.t for linfield's performances it would look even worse for the northern teams,the loi teams are setting the standards and with the exception ot the blues the rest are not at the races,the blues ,glens and cliftonville,with maybe one or two more really should be jumping at the chance of an all ireland league.

mr.untitled
26/02/2008, 9:45 PM
It should have been a penalty, which would have given them a draw.....so yes they were robbed.

which WOULD?? have given them the draw, no peno looked like a tough call alright but overall drogs were better and deserved the win

cornerflag
26/02/2008, 9:51 PM
I was embarrassed to watch Felix and Pat. Why could Setanta not have a proper presenter to do the show and then have the two lads as pundits. They just look like they haven't a clue when it comes to presenting. Ill say nothing about their punditry :)

Steve Bruce
26/02/2008, 10:29 PM
I was embarrassed to watch Felix and Pat. Why could Setanta not have a proper presenter to do the show and then have the two lads as pundits. They just look like they haven't a clue when it comes to presenting. Ill say nothing about their punditry :)

Felix has a massive chip on his shoulder with the IL. He is a muppet of the highest order

Dazzy
27/02/2008, 12:07 AM
Felix has a massive chip on his shoulder with the IL. He is a muppet of the highest order

I thought he just had a massive chip on his shoulder with everyone.

SolitudeRed
27/02/2008, 1:28 AM
Thought we performed well enough considering the injury problems we've had and we were unlucky not to get a draw at the end was definately a penalty!

Who are they missing?

We had two strikers out and Chris Scannell who did play up front only got back from a business trip to America at 1.30 that morning! and a couple of players on the bench were just coming back from injury. the squad is a small one and our season started back in June with the Intertoto so the players are probably a bit knackered at this stage!

Also thought your man Doolan hosting it was an ejit!

Steve Bruce
27/02/2008, 11:08 AM
Hopefully Cliftonville will be able to win some of their home games. I think it will be a big ask for them to win away to Cork or Drogheda.

Cliftonville has to beat Dungannon home and away. Hope Drogs and Cork cancell each other out.

But Cliftonville has to win ALL home matches and that is going to be a massive task.

ndrog
27/02/2008, 11:30 AM
Cliftonville played well i thought .They just werent physical enough , compared to the linfield teams we have played who hassle and fight for every ball .We should have scored a few more and they should have had a peno but overall we deserved the win .

Steve Bruce
27/02/2008, 12:27 PM
I know it is only 1 match, but I think Cliftonville will be a team that could upset a few Southern teams. They are not that far behind IMO.

JC_GUFC
27/02/2008, 1:00 PM
Just saw the second half this morning when it was repeated on Setanta and I have to say I was pretty impressed by Cliftonville.

They passed the ball much better than the likes of Dungannon and Ports and were unlucky not to get anything out of the game.

The fact that their main striker was just back from American really sums up the difference in the leagues and why a full-time club is almost certain to win the tournament.

It was also good to see the crowd they brought down (or up from Dublin in some cases) for the match! At least it shows that the club and fans are interested in the competition and hopefully they qualify for it again next season.

kingdomkerry
27/02/2008, 6:15 PM
Just saw the second half this morning when it was repeated on Setanta and I have to say I was pretty impressed by Cliftonville.

They passed the ball much better than the likes of Dungannon and Ports and were unlucky not to get anything out of the game.

The fact that their main striker was just back from American really sums up the difference in the leagues and why a full-time club is almost certain to win the tournament.

It was also good to see the crowd they brought down (or up from Dublin in some cases) for the match! At least it shows that the club and fans are interested in the competition and hopefully they qualify for it again next season.

What was the attendence?

WindmillWarrior
28/02/2008, 9:53 AM
What was the attendence?

A little over 2,000 I would have said

all drogged up
28/02/2008, 11:09 AM
Drogs deserved winners

looked like a peno to me but the ref was a bottler so didn't give it.

While their goal from the free was excellently taken it was never a free in the first place - I'd say those two issues therefore cancel each other out and two goals is all cliftonville were good for on the night.

Agree they weren't as physical as other northerners.

Drogs should have and could have had 2/3 more - lot of players looking rusty. If seasons were matched they wouldn't get close though

Flexy
28/02/2008, 12:15 PM
I know it is only 1 match, but I think Cliftonville will be a team that could upset a few Southern teams. They are not that far behind IMO.
I think at home stevey cliftonville could maybe cause an upset, every time i have seen them this season they have been exciting to watch. Its good for the competition that they competed so well against the Drogs. Apart from the penalty decision I thought the referee had a great game, puts the LOI refs to shame

seanfhear
28/02/2008, 5:40 PM
i saw the second half the other night and was quite impressed with the standard.As someone that has not seen much loi football in recent years due to living abroad Iwas impressed with the quality of play and especially the quality of the playing surface[summer football must be helping here because in the old days the pitches would be terrible at this time of year] The atmosphere in the ground seemeed very good as well.
Ithink there is an improvement in the eircom league and if they can improve the grounds perhaps the attendances might improve.I think if the irish league teams do not want to miss the boat then they should aboard as quickly as possible

Sniffer
28/02/2008, 6:19 PM
i saw the second half the other night and was quite impressed with the standard.As someone that has not seen much loi football in recent years due to living abroad Iwas impressed with the quality of play and especially the quality of the playing surface[summer football must be helping here because in the old days the pitches would be terrible at this time of year] The atmosphere in the ground seemeed very good as well.
Ithink there is an improvement in the eircom league and if they can improve the grounds perhaps the attendances might improve.I think if the irish league teams do not want to miss the boat then they should aboard as quickly as possible

I was minded of the sometimes shocking state of pitches in the bad old days by that Stan James ad showing a clip from Leatherhead v Brighton - I think - when Chris Kelly aka the Leatherhead Lip extracted the ball from the mire to fire home a bullet.:)

dancinpants
10/03/2008, 7:17 PM
St Pats 0-1 Glens

Halliday on 5

EDIT: Pats 1-1 Glens

dancinpants
10/03/2008, 7:24 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/112/111/10895/1/#

We have it immediately as it happens

Thompson playin midfield for Linfield? :confused:

Gareth
10/03/2008, 7:25 PM
Positions are wrong. Clearly.

dancinpants
10/03/2008, 7:30 PM
Positions are wrong. Clearly.

Just looked again. Theres wrong and theres wrong - Clive Delaney upfront, can ye imagine? :eek:

Still though, great service Gareth.

dancinpants
10/03/2008, 7:30 PM
Linfield 1-0 Derry :mad:

dancinpants
10/03/2008, 7:47 PM
2-0 Linfield.

We're woeful by all accounts.

micls
10/03/2008, 8:08 PM
Delaney should have been sent off, nasty.

Gareth
10/03/2008, 8:19 PM
Pats in trouble..