PDA

View Full Version : Shels game in August...

Neil
01/07/2003, 6:49 PM
I heard that Shels are trying to arrange to play City on a Thursday night instead of the Friday...

Why?

Because they are playing a friendly against Aston fúckin Villa on the Sunday.

I hope this is not going to happen.... :mad:

bert
01/07/2003, 9:02 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I heard that Shels are trying to arrange to play City on a Thursday night instead of the Friday...

Why?

Unfortunately it all too easy is to believe that this is true. Still at least it's against Aston Villa rather than the Dream Team again.;)

Colm
01/07/2003, 9:29 PM
Originally posted by Neil

Why?

Fcuking disgraceful but fcuking typical of $hels. City should oppose any change of fixture, a league fixture should always take preference over a friendly.

niamh
02/07/2003, 9:20 AM
You'd imagine that bray got a sweetener last time to change the fixture, otherwise why would you bother changing for a club who has a friendly.
Think City would be off their game to change and considering how the club have fought for Friday nights matches, thing is wud be really hypocritical if they agreed.

Schumi
02/07/2003, 2:31 PM
Cork should tell them where to go. How can they try to rearrange a league game because it clashes with a friendly?!

Dodge
02/07/2003, 2:54 PM
Its a friendly tournament between Pats, Shels, Aston Villa and Leeds. We play Shels and Villa play leeds on Saturday, and then winners and losers meet on Sunday.

We play UCD on the Friday before hand but I hope to christ we don't sacrifice anything for the friendlies. If we do try and move it, it'll be a disgrace.

ccfc till i die
02/07/2003, 9:33 PM
Lads don't worry there's no way this will go through. It's all up to us and Dolan will tell those money hungry fothermuckers where to stick it.

yur man
02/07/2003, 11:00 PM
surely they told leeds and villa that now that we're doin summer soccer, these friendlies are no longer practical :rolleyes:

let them have their 'tournament' by themselves in dublin with another couple of english teams for all the barstoolers. isnt that why they do it anyway

Neil
02/07/2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
Lads don't worry there's no way this will go through

Well as far as I know they ARE going through with it.
Nothing much we can do i think

except..

send hundreds of emails to the FAI and Shel$ letting them know that they are bringing the League into disrepute.

Pity we couldn't play them the Saturday night.
The day before the Cork game in Croke Park.
There'd be thousands of Cork people up there for it.

Colm
02/07/2003, 11:50 PM
Dolan said tonight that it is up to the fans to kick up a fuss about this. We should not accept it because it is making our league look farcical. Everyone should send emails or letters to the FAI and the National Newspapers expressing their disgust.

A face
03/07/2003, 12:50 AM
I hate to say it but Shels cannot be allowed to carry on like this .... it is the middle of the season. No club should get away with dragging the league through the mud like this .... where else would you find it. We should have to tolerate this kinda of cráp.

Dodge
03/07/2003, 8:26 AM
There's nothing wrong with Friendlies during the season and god knows we need the money BUT games shouldn't be moved. Apparently Pats and UCD have moved to the Thursday:rolleyes:

Eric
03/07/2003, 11:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with friendlies during the season as long as they don't intefere with the league. Why couldn't the money grabbers have arranged this so called tournament for the two week break we've just had??????

Trax
03/07/2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Eric
Why couldn't the money grabbers have arranged this so called tournament for the two week break we've just had?????? Cos all of the Foreign leagues are still on hols at the Mo,most of them arent back training til next week or the week after.

@ndy
03/07/2003, 11:22 AM
Lads, i agree, games shouldn't be moved, but at the same time, if Shels beat Aston Villa or Leeds or if Pats do likewise, it is feckin great for the league. Even if they don't, guaranteed there will be some of the seasons highest gates for these games. I'm sure Shels and Pats have worked hard to pull it off. I personally would have no gripe about our game moving to the Thursday, however, at the same time this gives me 0 chance of making it seeing as i have a 9-5 in Cork.

If City got a match against Leeds or Villa, the cross would be virtually full. If ye got an atmosphere going in there it would really drag in new fans. The point is, for this league to progress we need the barstoolers to go to the odd game, not slag them off cos they're not prepared to watch sub premiership standard football.

Anyway, changing a league fixture for a friendly basically gives in to the fact that the league game is as/less important than the friendly. While this might be the case for UCD/Pats, it is certainly not the case for City. For Shels on the other hand, the City game is less important. Swings and roundabouts.

My verdict...Shels should have to play two days in a row....i mean, come on ffs...

Colm
03/07/2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by @ndy
If City got a match against Leeds or Villa, the cross would be virtually full. If ye got an atmosphere going in there it would really drag in new fans.

It would not drag in new fans, take the Celtic game a few years ago, did that drag in new fans? no it didn't. If anything I'd say it made City look like a joke, out of 6000 people at least 4000 of them were supporting Celtic. :mad:
I never want City to organise one of these stupid friendlies again, i don't want us to ever play Celtic or any English Premiership team unless it is in europe.
Shels and Pats can have their stupid friendlies (as long as they don't effect league games), they will probably still get less people than our average attendance!

Schumi
03/07/2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Apparently Pats and UCD have moved to the Thursday :rolleyes: Ridiculous. :(

pete
03/07/2003, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by Eric
There is nothing wrong with friendlies during the season as long as they don't intefere with the league.

Agreed. If $hel$ want to play a friendly so be it but City should not agree to move their league game to thursday as it has no benefit to city whatsoever.

Éanna
03/07/2003, 5:44 PM
Its a disgrace, full stop. If shels want to play the next day then they can put out a weakened team or else play 2 days in a row. I'm sure shels don't give 2 fúcks how we raise our money, and I don't care how they raise theirs unless it interferes with us. This cannot be allowed to happen. i suggest city fans bombard shels and the FAI with emails demanding the game is not changed.

Slash/ED
03/07/2003, 8:14 PM
It's funny, there's two eircom league sides involved in this tournament and messing around with fixtures but you'd scarcely believe it reading this thread.

RedX
03/07/2003, 9:12 PM
In fairness that last supporter of Shels is right.Why is it that everyone seems to be so down on Shels and not St Pats as they are both doing the same thing in switching there games.Obviously its because its our fixture they are try to rearrange.I think it was mentioned up along by the UCD fan that it could be good for the league with our clubs playing these teams and trying to make a bit of money for themselves and also give the league a better name with hopefully a few good results.Shels and Pats are two very good clubs and if other clubs followed them the league would be all the better.City are doing very well also but as we all know could be doing a lot better if we had better help from the National Media.There is to much politics in this league...........

Éanna
03/07/2003, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
It's funny, there's two eircom league sides involved in this tournament and messing around with fixtures but you'd scarcely believe it reading this thread. the reason we're givng out about shels is because you lot want to change a game against us. if pats were doing this to us, we'd be just as angry about it. stop trying to turn this into an "everyone hates poor shels" argument.

Colm
04/07/2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
It's funny, there's two eircom league sides involved in this tournament and messing around with fixtures

True but there is only one club messing around with a fixture which involves us.

G'wan ya Jackeen!!!

Éanna
04/07/2003, 12:08 AM
on that subject, seehere (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8463)

Slash/ED
04/07/2003, 12:46 AM
Fair enough, but the way you bang on about it seems a bit bitter.

I'd put money on it, that if it was another side people would be alot less upset.

Anyway, if it matters, I'm against messing around with fixtures for freindlys too, but the way you all bang on about Shels messing up the league and barley mention Pats, even though it is in the Cork part of the board, is a bit daft.

Éanna
04/07/2003, 12:49 AM
I've never made any secret that I really dislike shels, but that has nothing to do with this. Honestly, if it was Limerick, Cobh, Galway Longford or anyone else doing this I'd be just as angry and I'd be suggesting the same course of action. If I was a shels fan I wouldn't be happy either.

Slash/ED
04/07/2003, 1:01 AM
As I said I'm not happy, the league has to come first, it makes a mockery of it to move fixtures for friendlys, BUT, friendlys are a very important souce of income for clubs, sadly, they attract more fans, and the move to summer football was always going to cause a conflict on that front, so really it's a win lose situation whichever way you look at it. I'd like to think that if there was a way to set up the 'tournament' without interfereing with the league it would have been looked into.

Éanna
04/07/2003, 1:14 AM
the way i see it shels have a number of possible solutions:
1. Play a weakened side against city if they are so intent on disrespecting the league.
2. Play a weakened side in the friendlies.
3. In future arrange friendlies so they won't clash with league games.
4. Find another source of revenue.

Slash/ED
04/07/2003, 1:21 AM
1 and 2 would never happen, regardless of which clubs were involved, 4 is easier said then done and 3 is something which I hope they made an attempt to do but found it was impossible for whatever reason, it'd be a disgrace if they didn't, I'll agree with you there.

pete
04/07/2003, 12:16 PM
I wasn't aware that Pats were trying to arrange a agme cos i have no idea who they playing & what the thoughts of their fans on the matter.

I wouldn't have a different opinion of the fixture change if it was any other club.

I presume its citys decision to allow the fixture change. IMO city should refuse to accept the fixture change to friday. Whats important is that it should be the decision of CCFC whether the game moved to thursday.

Dodge
07/07/2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by pete
I wasn't aware that Pats were trying to arrange a agme cos i have no idea who they playing & what the thoughts of their fans on the matter.

I wouldn't have a different opinion of the fixture change if it was any other club.

I presume its citys decision to allow the fixture change. IMO city should refuse to accept the fixture change to friday. Whats important is that it should be the decision of CCFC whether the game moved to thursday.
You should have read the thread asi mentioned it a couple of times... Funny actually that the two clubs with the most bitterness between them in recent years, worked very hard TOGETHER to get this going. (and it was at all levels, board, mamagement, fans) I just hope we and Shels make a fortune out of it.