PDA

View Full Version : City v Longford Town

Neil
01/07/2003, 6:46 PM
Read there that Stephen O'Brien (Longford goalie) will be out for a month after injuring himself in training in Portugal.

He always does well against City at the X.

Neil
04/07/2003, 11:26 AM
PREVIEW Several doubts for Dolan

Cork City manager Pat Dolan could be without as many as four of his first team squad for tonight’s visit of second-from-bottom Longford Town to Turners Cross, with prolific striker John O’Flynn one of those rated doubtful.

O’Flynn, who has netted ten goals in eleven games for Cork as well as two in a three-game stint with the Irish under-21s this season, is a slight concern with a calf injury, but should be fit enough to take his place up front.

Denis Behan, an option as O’Flynn’s strike partner, is also a doubt with a hamstring strain, while centre half Dan Murray and full back Alan Carey may also be missing.

On a more positive note, skipper Greg O’Halloran is available again after a one-game suspension, so one of Robbie Hedderman or Colin T. O’Brien – who both started in the 1-1 draw with Bohemians on Monday night – is expected to lose out to accommodate O’Halloran’s recall.

City are unbeaten at home this season, and have not conceded a goal in front of their home fans since the visit of Waterford United in early May, keeping clean sheets against both Shelbourne and UCD before the midsummer break.

Longford considered themselves unfortunate after losing out to league leaders Shels on Tuesday after two contentious decisions went against the midlanders.

That defeated ended a six-game unbeaten streak, and was their first reverse since going down on a 3-0 scoreline to tonight’s opposition at Flancare Park in April.

First-choice centre half Barry Ferguson will be recalled following suspension tonight, so Kieran Foley may lose out to allow Ferguson team up with Brian McGovern.

Striker Eric Lavine, the subject of interest from three clubs including Derry City and Portadown over the past three days, could return to the squad after missing out entirely against Shels.

Paddy Mulvihill should be retained up front, with his partner one of Shane Barrett, Lavine or Sean Francis, who was also dropped on Tuesday.

In goal, former Dundalk and Bohemians netminder Michael Dempsey continues in place of back injury victim Stephen O’Brien.

patsh
04/07/2003, 11:55 AM
Are we back to the days of "Osam is doubtful" ??? ;) :D

yan
04/07/2003, 1:58 PM
anyone want to do me a favour and txt me the score bcoz ill be in the airport going on hols so ill miss the game??

plz

eoinh
05/07/2003, 12:30 AM
Top class goals (all 5). woods 2 were brill especially his first. looking forward to seeing them on tv.

Why was the Longford guy sent off? i missed it completely!!

o'callaghan was useless. he should have given behan a run out.

Neil
05/07/2003, 1:14 AM
Originally posted by eoinh

o'callaghan was useless.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bert
05/07/2003, 2:25 AM
Just read the aertel account. O'Flynn chipped Michael Devine and Keith Doyle ensured a comfortable finish.:confused: Was this some Championship Manager game they're reporting on?

Pablo
05/07/2003, 2:43 AM
i saw that. typical aertel. good game. nice result. its not looking too shabby at the moment eh lads?

Neil
05/07/2003, 11:22 AM
Cork City 4-1 Longford Town
Two goals from full back Billy Woods saw Cork City storm into second place in the eircom League Premier Division table with a decisive victory over ten-man Longford Town at Turners Cross.

By the final whistle, the home side were strolling, but Longford - for the second time in four days - were left ruing decisions by the match officials at a crucial stage of the game.

Town trailed 2-0 at the break to first half goals from Woods and John O’Flynn, but had forged back into the game after the break and had halved the deficit when midfielder Philip Keogh received his marching orders with a controversial straight red card.

Former Bray Wanderers man Keogh appeared to have an altercation with a member of the Cork City bench, and referee Pat Whelan had no hesitation in producing his red card.

That really deflated the Longford revival, and two goals in the final ten minutes, a Woods free kick and a strike from Kevin Doyle, aw the home side draw clear before the final whistle.

Cork’s win fully deserved, however, for the manner in which they took the chances presented to them during the game.

The first half goals, in particular, were thoroughly memorable. On 22 minutes, Woods - who has reverted to left back this season - saw his 30-yard drive evade the clutches of stand-in Longford keeper Michael Dempsey on its way to the top corner of the visitors’ net.

Then, just before the break, lethal front man John O’Flynn struck his eleventh goal in twelve league games for City this season. And there have been few better than this effort. He picked up the ball 30 yards out and advanced a couple of yards before sending a precision chip over Dempsey, where it struck one post and rolled across the line before going into the net off the other.

Longford boss Alan Matthews, in need of goals, sent on reputedly transfer-listed striker Eric Lavine in place of winger Brian Byrne at half-time. The change in shape gave the visitors more cutting thrust, and they got back into the game when Sean Francis capitalized on George O’Callaghan’s error in the middle of the park to lob Michael Devine in the Cork goal.

Just two minutes later came Keogh’s red card, and thereafter Cork enjoyed the edge in every area of the field as Longford’s shoulders sagged.

And the home side made certain of the points with those two goals in the final ten minutes to take up the chase of clear leaders Shelbourne, who moved six clear with a win over Drogheda United at Tolka Park, also on Friday.

Cork City: Devine, Horgan, Woods, Bennett, D. Murray, C. T. O’Brien, O’Grady, Doyle, Hedderman (K. Murray, 68), O’Callaghan (C. P. O’Brien, 75), O’Flynn (O’Halloran, 80).

Longford Town: Dempsey, Murphy, Dillon (Mulvihill, 82), Ferguson, McGovern, Sheridan, Keogh, Kirby (Perth, 45), Byrne (Lavine, 45), Barrett, Francis.

Referee: P. Whelan (Dublin)

NorthoftheLee
05/07/2003, 12:37 PM
greetings from Deutschland.............

Excellent result...!!!!...

well happy last nite....great result...great beer ...great kebabs...:D

Éanna
05/07/2003, 12:43 PM
4 excellent goals. great performance too. can't remember the last time we played a team off the park like that.

James
05/07/2003, 12:45 PM
yeah just a pity i missed flynny goal
ah well gota wait for sports tonight on monday for it now

Woods is Magic ;)

Colm
05/07/2003, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
greetings from Deutschland.............

Excellent result...!!!!...

well happy last nite....great result...great beer ...great kebabs...:D

You missed a great game last night NOTL, the place was very quiet without ya though!:)

patsh
05/07/2003, 1:47 PM
o'callaghan was useless.
George's performance was "useless", eoinh?
He played some excellent stuff last night, and had Longford in the horrors.
I was very disappointed with Hedderman, he didn't really do anything wrong but just did not make the effort to get into the game.

Mickey looked very assured,
Dan had a quite game I thought,
Benno was good,
Hoggie came into the game,
Billy was excellent in defence as well as the goals,
I thought Colin T was excellent,
Conor was very good,
Doyler had a great game and am thrilled he has scored,
Flynnie was great if quite, superb goal,
Kevin Murray made a huge difference when he came on.
Greg and CP solid enough.

How bad is the injury to John though?:( :(

Counting Crow
06/07/2003, 9:30 AM
Report in the Echo said he will be fit for Monday......either that or he's about to sign for Linfield or take up a job as a park attendant in Fota or.........

Spillane couldn't make up his mind......!

eoinh
06/07/2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by patsh
George's performance was "useless", eoinh?

Yes, i thought so. Showboating ild call it. Contributed nothing.

Behan imo should be up front with O'Flynn. Where i was O'Callaghan was getting booed and there was a cheer when he was subbed.

Neil
06/07/2003, 12:52 PM
PeoplesRepublicofCork.com (http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=173&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=a72599211be0f587a51b3f2041d90ba4) report of City v Longford.

I didn't know there was a bit of troublle inthe Longford section. Pictures there of it...

patsh
06/07/2003, 7:22 PM
Yes, i thought so. Showboating ild call it. Contributed nothing.

Where i was O'Callaghan was getting booed and there was a cheer when he was subbed.
1. Is this your real opinion or were you influenced by those around you?
2. Were those doing the booing discussed in other threads?

eoinh
06/07/2003, 7:37 PM
No and no

Éanna
06/07/2003, 11:12 PM
Where i was O'Callaghan was getting booed and there was a cheer when he was subbed.
Idiots. That kind of behaviour isn't on at all. I'll freely admit to roaring at city players to wake up or something like that, but booing one of your own is well out of order. IMO, there is only 1 city players who has ever deserved this treatment- liam O'brien

eoinh
07/07/2003, 9:50 AM
i dont really agree with booing your own players either but i dont think he played well imo. sometimes i get the impression that he thinks he doesnt have to work at things during the game and he suffers as a result. hes got great talent but talent on its own doesnt win games. application is important as well.

on another matter who would have thought that moving billy woods back would have such an effect.!!! a masterstroke!
hes helped i suppose by not been man-marked. woods' first goal was THE goal by city so far this season.
i hope it turns out well on tv tonight.

pete
07/07/2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by James
yeah just a pity i missed flynny goal

Its all about priorities - beer or foot.ie

:D

yan
08/07/2003, 11:15 AM
lads

did anyone tape the goals on tv3,

im all the way in crete and its typical when i go away,they play there best stuff of the season, well thats what it sounds like,

plz say someone has a tape of the goals, aswell as the upcoming games,i wont be back till sat week,

damn summer soccer

Neil
08/07/2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by yan

Yeah, I have them taped.

NorthoftheLee
08/07/2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Colm
You missed a great game last night NOTL, the place was very quiet without ya though

Ya tell me about it.....Bohs games was good too I heard...well that sums my luck up......billix......

as for the booing of george......disgusted by it all.......booing your own player is deplorable in its own right but to be booing a player who has played so well for most games this season is beyond contempt...muppets the lot of them........:rolleyes:

Éanna
08/07/2003, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by yan

I thought flynnys looked even better on TV than it did on friday :D