PDA

View Full Version : Clive Delaney

The Fox
25/02/2008, 5:09 PM
The transfer thread suggests he is going to Derry - didnt feature yesterday??!! He will be a big loss if he goes - Chris deans and himself had a good partnership.!!

Ger Rowe done deal?????????????

Grey Boy
25/02/2008, 5:38 PM
Thats not good at all. Himself and Cawley were the stand out players for us last season. Sincerely hope he stays. Does anyone know how substantial this rumour is?
Nice to see John Flood back though. Always wondered where he went to. Hope he's cleaned up his act a bit. He had a touch of the Martin Taylors about him first time round.

Bray Head
26/02/2008, 10:16 AM
The transfer thread suggests he is going to Derry - didnt feature yesterday??!! He will be a big loss if he goes - Chris deans and himself had a good partnership.!!

Ger Rowe done deal?????????????

Delaney played for Derry before and came back as he did not want to go full time. Unless Stephen Kenny has a big influnence on him as he was manager there when Clive played for them. We can't afford to lose him.

tippex
26/02/2008, 10:23 AM
He may not have featured on sunday but at least he was at the game.
I reckon if we were to lose him we can resign ourselves to dropping to the first division. I didnt see anything on sunday to suggest that we are not going to struggle.

HarpoJoyce
26/02/2008, 10:28 AM
.... He will be a big loss if he goes - ...

I like that quote and I've always liked Clive. He had a tough summer after being released by West Ham. He was travelling on trial to another club in England every forthnight, it seemed.

Does Clive get forward much during play? Only set-pieces or at other times?

superfrank
26/02/2008, 11:48 AM
He certainly got a good few goals last season, about 3 or 4. I remember the one he got against Rovers where he pretty much rang the length of the pitch. He does get forward for a lot of the set pieces too.

It would be a terrible loss if he goes. We'd have no defensive organisation without him and with very little time to sign any kind of replacement, it'd leave the back in tatters.

lowflyingseagul
26/02/2008, 11:48 AM
my understanding was he has quite a good job in town so he doen't want to play full-time football so bray suits him

Grey Boy
26/02/2008, 6:06 PM
I like that quote and I've always liked Clive. He had a tough summer after being released by West Ham. He was travelling on trial to another club in England every forthnight, it seemed.

Does Clive get forward much during play? Only set-pieces or at other times?

Got forward for set pieces every oppurtunity last season. Scored 6 or 7 goals. A huge influence in both boxes.

Olander
26/02/2008, 10:19 PM
he left you and joined Derry on a 2 year deal !!!! :eek:

http://www.derrycityfc.net/season/08/news/displaystory.php?storyid=260

Bald Student
26/02/2008, 11:23 PM
he left you and joined Derry on a 2 year deal !!!! :eek:

http://www.derrycityfc.net/season/08/news/displaystory.php?storyid=260

[Selfish]
Good news for UCDD.
[\Selfish]

Bray Head
27/02/2008, 7:43 AM
Terrible news. Let's hope Eddie has a replacement lined up or we are in serious trouble.

bray boy
27/02/2008, 7:51 AM
thats shocking
wicklow news said that we rejected the offer.
cant believe this.
unless someone of the same calibre is found thats us down :(:(:(

superfrank
27/02/2008, 10:32 AM
Big blow for us with Delaney leaving. We will be depending more on Doherty and Pender than we should have been now.

Grasshopper 99
27/02/2008, 12:42 PM
FIRST DIVISION FOOTBALL, thought the club wants to move up the table not down, seriously a massive mistake selling one of our best players, whats next Cawley to BOHS

lowflyingseagul
27/02/2008, 1:22 PM
FIRST DIVISION FOOTBALL, thought the club wants to move up the table not down, seriously a massive mistake selling one of our best players, whats next Cawley to BOHS

agreed 100%

dublinwanderer
27/02/2008, 3:41 PM
absolutly pathetic decision to sell our captain. i was shocked when i heard about it and the first thing that came to my head was thats it we are getting relegated. :mad:

we've replaced a good experience defender with a under21 porspect from pats. pathetic:mad:

Grey Boy
27/02/2008, 4:34 PM
absolutly pathetic decision to sell our captain. i was shocked when i heard about it and the first thing that came to my head was thats it we are getting relegated. :mad:

we've replaced a good experience defender with a under21 porspect from pats. pathetic:mad:

In fairness I'm sure Clive, and Full time football have something to do with the decision. If someone doesn't want to play for you there is not a whole lot you can do about it (even if they're contracted). If we do go down because we are dependent on just one individual then it's probably deserved. One thing is for sure it's a massive loss for us.

braysnumber1
27/02/2008, 4:46 PM

yep agree... complete joke

tippex
27/02/2008, 7:16 PM
I have to say I am absolutely gutted that we have let delaney go.

Seagull
27/02/2008, 7:54 PM

This club has no ambition, never had, never will. Pathetic, I'm just gutted.

The Fox
27/02/2008, 7:57 PM
Deans was a solid enough defender - he should never have been let go either - we are very weak at the back now.
Midfield and attack - we will probably get by.
We could really do with Williams and Deans now!!

BrayUnknowns
27/02/2008, 8:16 PM
Well from talking to my cousin up in Derry, the roumers doing the rounds is that Kenny talked to Delaney without Bray's permission, Delaney handed in a transfer request and the rest is history. If he doesn't want to play for us then fcuk him. End of story. Don't know a single thing about his replacement but i reckon Ozo had a bit of inside information about how good he is?

Personally i think that over the last year and a half the club have shown more ambition than ever, players in like Delaney, Williams, Whelan, Cawley, Myler, Doherty... don't think we would have ever seen that in the past.

dublinwanderer
27/02/2008, 8:36 PM
Personally i think that over the last year and a half the club have shown more ambition than ever, players in like Delaney, Williams, Whelan, Cawley, Myler, Doherty... don't think we would have ever seen that in the past.

true, but of the five players you mention two have already left after only 1 year with the club...

absolutly gutted and shocked at delaney leaving. and if you say kenny approached him illegally, will the club take action?????

bray boy
27/02/2008, 9:15 PM
im still hoping its some sick rumour and none of it is true

maybe we can swap em rowe for clive???ha

btw thats a terrible attempt at taking light from a grave situation :o

Hulsey
27/02/2008, 9:56 PM
We are fcuked at the back now. No experienced back up keeper, an unknown defender signed to cover for our ex-captain and 3 good solid defenders let go. Add to the fact that while Daz and Razor are good players, lets be honest they ain't spring chickens. With Whelan, Myler and Rowe coming in it's a pity that we've lost Williams, Deans, Caffo, Delaney and Tyrell. It could have been the best season we've had in years and unfortunately optimism has just gone out the window.

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 2:13 PM
Can't fcuking believe this. Wicklow News said he was going nowhere so I thought it was grand next thing you know he's signed for Derry.
Clubs going backwards

Grasshopper 99
28/02/2008, 3:09 PM
Might score more goals but we will concede a hell of a lot more than what we do score, safe bet that we dont have a nil all draw in the most of our matches let alone the whole season. Dont believe any paper, not to mention the wickla news, tabloids are always full of rumours. Well we better get used to hearing first division football been sung at us again (dont miss that one bit) and then we get used to singing "we're all going on an irish tour!" in 2009.

Grey Boy
28/02/2008, 6:40 PM
I think you lot are being a bit too negative. It's not the clubs ambition you should be discussing here it's the fact that Delaney wanted to go back to a full time set up. What can the club do about that? Does anyone here think that full time football is sustainable at our club? It's not sustainable at one or two clubs at the moment already.

It was a bit of a late transfer and I don't know what Eddie could have done under the transfer window time left. We did get that young prospect from Pats. Caffo and Tyrell were subs at best. Deans was alright. Williams is the only other serious loss this season.

I think we should trust Gormley and get behind the team. IMO hes's done very little wrong so far. If he continues his progress it might be him we're losing to a "bigger club" next.

centre mid
28/02/2008, 6:52 PM
Delaney is a big loss, no question. Save tying him to the goalpost I think the clubs hands were tied. From what I can gather it seems that Delaney was approached and indicated he would like to return to Derry. Hopefully the club will pursue the matter if it was an illegal approach, otherwise thats football and the club has to get on with it.

Hulsey
28/02/2008, 8:21 PM
It was a bit of a late transfer and I don't know what Eddie could have done under the transfer window time left. We did get that young prospect from Pats. Caffo and Tyrell were subs at best. Deans was alright. Williams is the only other serious loss this season.

The Pats lads are saying good things about Foran and sounds like he could be a decent signing, but he won't be able to replace Delaney. While Caffo and Tyrell might not have been starters this season, for a club of our size they would have been great players to have on the bench. Personally think Deans was our most underrated player last year, thought he had a very good year. At the end of the day the departure of the players mentioned leaves our squad looking fairly thin, if we get any serious injuries we could be in big trouble. While the first team is probably stronger than last year, imo our squad is weaker

superfrank
29/02/2008, 12:08 PM
Right lads, make sure to remember the rules (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=735487&postcount=16) when posting in this thread.

No more "I heard" and "a reliable so-and-so told me".

dublinwanderer
29/02/2008, 1:23 PM
at the end of the day he is only one player... but, with deans also going we are very thin at the back.

any idea who will be the new captain now? tresson, kenny, cawley come to mind????

superfrank
29/02/2008, 1:35 PM
I'd say Daz or Cawley, probably will be Cawley as he's going to be around longer.

Am I the only thinking we should go for a 3-5-2 now?

Something like this:

Skippy,

Cronin, Doherty, Daz/Pender,

McCabe, Whelan, Duggan, Cawley, Kav

Myler, Franco

lowflyingseagul
29/02/2008, 2:13 PM
Right lads, make sure to remember the rules (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=735487&postcount=16) when posting in this thread.

No more "I heard" and "a reliable so-and-so told me".

what wonderful rules.

Hulsey
29/02/2008, 2:57 PM
I'd say Daz or Cawley, probably will be Cawley as he's going to be around longer.

Something like this:

Skippy,

Myler, Franco

That back line would more than likely leak far to many goals. Doherty is the only player who's really a centre back, the other three have spent more time at full back. Midfield looks solid, but I'd drop duggan and have Kenny or Foran at centre back with Doherty. Can't see Rowe not starting ahead of Franco either.

BrayUnknowns
29/02/2008, 4:19 PM

Something like this:

Skippy,

Myler, Franco

I'd be shocked if anyone else thought this would be a good line up so yeah i reckon you are the only one who think playing 3 at the back with Cronin on the right hand side would be a good idea...

Going on form I'd go with...

O'Connor

Tresson --- Doherty --- Pender --- Cronin

Kavanagh --- Whelan --- Cawley --- Duggan

Myler --- Rowe

Subs:
McInerney - GK
Kenny
Ivory
McCabe
Mulroy

leaves Franco, Dunphy, Lawless, Emeka, Foran, Flood and Mahon not making the bench.

KR's Post
01/03/2008, 10:08 AM
thats shocking
wicklow news said that we rejected the offer.
cant believe this.
unless someone of the same calibre is found thats us down :(:(:(

Rejected first offer. FEE IN REGION i believe of 15000-35000 euro.

dublinwanderer
02/03/2008, 12:43 PM
Going on form I'd go with...

O'Connor

Tresson --- Doherty --- Pender --- Cronin

Kavanagh --- Whelan --- Cawley --- Duggan

Myler --- Rowe

Subs:
McInerney - GK
Kenny
Ivory
McCabe
Mulroy

leaves Franco, Dunphy, Lawless, Emeka, Foran, Flood and Mahon not making the bench.

in all fairness, pender is too small for centre back, he is best at right back or left... kenny or tresson or even foran will partner doherty in there

Rejected first offer. FEE IN REGION i believe of 15000-35000 euro.

thats a big region though... i say it covered the transfer fee for rowe any and prob a little left over. hopefully they put the money they saved for their planned trip to spain and what they got from delaney into ground development. roof over dart seats is vital!!!

superfrank
03/03/2008, 12:58 PM
Reminder: No more "I heard this" and "so-and-so told me that" about Clive Delaney. One more post like that and the thread will be locked.

Seagull
03/03/2008, 2:31 PM
He's quoted in today's Herald saying he couldn't turn down the chance to return to Derry. 'Once I became aware that Stephen Kenny wanted me to return, I made it clear to Bray that at 28 years-old I did not expect to get another opportunity to play full-time football.'

Guess there wasn't much Wanderers could do then...

dublinwanderer
03/03/2008, 8:03 PM
well i heard that....

ha only messing!!!

lets forget about clive and move on please!!!!!