PDA

View Full Version : J one visa

mrtndvn
25/02/2008, 12:16 AM
Any one on here every apply for one?

Or anyone for tips for jobs/accommodation in San Francisco??

BohsPartisan
25/02/2008, 7:51 AM
Me. 11 years ago though and I worked on Cape Cod.

paul_oshea
25/02/2008, 10:09 AM
i had one, but it was an internship - for the year, so not the exact same thing.

I had friends who did in san fransisco though, they all worked in this fish restaurant, ill try and find out. I worked with other lads who ended up on the sites or with chippies. Id say its handy enough, there is a good few "irish" bars out there with builders out there and stuff.

I can't recommend a J1 enough, if your any way green ( like i prolly was ), its a real eye opener going out to the states at 19/20/21. I was 19 just turning 20 when i went out and it was a bit of a balls at first cos i couldn't get in anywhere, but once the summer hits its brilliant as lots of people have parties ( not irish, yanks i mean ) and the weather is nice, plus you will get known in a few pubs and ye should be ok.

Id also recommend not to do the irish thing and try and get to know the locals more.

I found san fran boring enough to be honest ( very metropolitan and easy going though )and bars close at 2 am.

ollie
25/02/2008, 10:26 AM
Did the internship thing in Boston for 6 months. I'd agree with POS in that it's definitely to be recommended. Great time especially the summer months. Luckily I was 21 when I was over there which was a big advantage. No need to worry like before you go out!

My biggest recomendation is to play some sport over there (football,hurling etc)...it'll break up the week going to training and also the social side to it is great.

Also if you are underage can get a cancelled passport of someone who looks remotely like you that'll help...just say you don't want to loose the real thing when out! Worked for a few people I knew all the time in the possibly the strictest state that is Massachusettes. If you are overage get a liquor card asap when over. You don't want to loose your passport when out!

www.craigslist.com isn't a bad starting off point for accomodation

paul_oshea
25/02/2008, 10:49 AM
re: ollies 3rd point, id agree with that, my flatmate at the time was only 20 too and she used her cousins out of date passport, which was out of date and the picture was a different colour hair as well. Worked everytime, but you could get into seroius trouble doing this if you got caught.....

I'd be very wary of craigslist, we used it for a laugh one night, and ended up on one of the strangest/weird nights i've ever encountered - not strange in a good way, though a good experience all the same. There are some right nutjobs on that site.

ollie
25/02/2008, 11:25 AM
re: ollies 3rd point, id agree with that, my flatmate at the time was only 20 too and she used her cousins out of date passport, which was out of date and the picture was a different colour hair as well. Worked everytime, but you could get into seroius trouble doing this if you got caught.....

Yeah, most bouncers would hand it back(on the night or sometimes the following day[after sob story]) or chuck it away but I suppose just avoid those that have a name of being strict on id.They might forward it on to the cops which could open a whole new can of worms

lim abroad
25/02/2008, 12:17 PM
I lived in San Fran for over 3 years,it can be hard finding accomodation in the city but if you play hurling or football the clubs will sort you out with jobs(mainly labouring on the sites for bout $15/hr) and accomodation.check out www.sfgaa.org for a list of clubs and their websites.Just seen that your avatar is a derry city one,the club i played for in san fran is called ulster gaelic club so you'd be well suited there

paul_oshea
25/02/2008, 1:17 PM
lim, have you ever heard of a fella called "session bob" by any chance?! i think he was a well known character out there.....

mrtndvn
28/02/2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks lads, I'm chassing up those leads.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated as well.

lim abroad
29/02/2008, 9:20 AM
lim, have you ever heard of a fella called "session bob" by any chance?! i think he was a well known character out there.....

haha no never heard of him,might know his face if i saw him

gaiscĂ­och
29/02/2008, 12:12 PM
I went over on a J1 two years ago and had the time of my life in Boston. Finding a job was hard enough I found it in the Irish Emmigrant which can be found in most if not all the Irish bars over there.
My experience of the work over there was hard. I got stuck with a boss who started acting the c**t with wages and that. But I quit that job and found another one within a few days and that job was class.
Accommodation was handy enough to find. We only seen the landlord once which was great. Only balls was not having any furniture as a start but you can rent it all over there.
Hint: J-1online= sign up for their job alerts some handy jobs come through...