PDA

View Full Version : Hughton to Newcastle

jmurphyc
22/02/2008, 6:18 PM
Chris Hughton joins Newcastle's coaching staff. I'm not sure whether it should be in this forum, but he is a former coach of ours. Hopefully he can help the irish players there. I would love to see him back in the Ireland set up sometime in the future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7259282.stm

dr_peepee
22/02/2008, 6:20 PM
Agreed..

I wonder why he never went into management outright??

eekers
22/02/2008, 6:28 PM
because he's pretty poor coach as it is?

blobbyblob
22/02/2008, 6:54 PM

What leads you to say that

tetsujin1979
22/02/2008, 7:57 PM
Probably a replacement for Nigel Pearson

jmurphyc
22/02/2008, 8:39 PM
Probably a replacement for Nigel Pearson

Yeah, that's what I heard. Good luck to him.

NeilMcD
22/02/2008, 9:34 PM

Very harsh there I think. Spurs got two fifth placed finishes under Hughton as coach, which they have not done in years. I dont like the revisisonism of the Jol era that is going on in the media at the moment. I like what I see of Ramos but when they finish regularly in the top 5 and nearly top 4 under Ramos only then can he can be held as high as Martin Jol.

Other than that Chris Hughton is a Spurs and Ireland legend and a gentleman also.

tetsujin1979
22/02/2008, 10:16 PM
because he's pretty poor coach as it is?Considering he was one of the first coaches in England to get the UEFA Pro license, and was kept on as head coach by three consecutive Spurs managers, I'd say he's probably a pretty decent coach.

seanfhear
23/02/2008, 9:44 AM
good luck to chris hughton at newcastle.he was a decent player for spurs and ireland

Deckydee
25/02/2008, 1:08 PM
Whenever I think of Chris Hughton I can always see him in the picture running with Gullit!!!

Drumcondra 69er
25/02/2008, 3:14 PM
Whenever I think of Chris Hughton I can always see him in the picture running with Gullit!!!

A great image from Euro 88. Had that picture as part of a collection of pictures from the back page pf the Evening Press hanging on my wall for years afterwards!

blobbyblob
23/04/2008, 8:13 AM
Anyone know if he's still there?

tetsujin1979
23/04/2008, 9:29 AM
According to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_United - he's still one of the listed coaches

eirebhoy
23/04/2008, 9:40 AM
Yeh he was in the dugout on Sunday.

paulie_walnuts
23/04/2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah he's there and I would imagine Keegan will keep him on for a long time to come, a very good coach.

What makes him a bad coach? Being part of Brian Kerrs anti-football regime? Give over!

Drumcondra 69er
23/04/2008, 11:28 AM
No coincidence that they've stopped leaking goals since he had a few weeks to work with them, an excellent coach, think it was more like 6 or 7 Spurs managers that kept him on. Very clever move from Keegan getting him on board. Anyone doubting Hughton's coaching abilities is clearly clueless.

Dr. Ogba
23/04/2008, 1:46 PM
No coincidence that they've stopped leaking goals since he had a few weeks to work with them, an excellent coach, think it was more like 6 or 7 Spurs managers that kept him on. Very clever move from Keegan getting him on board. Anyone doubting Hughton's coaching abilities is clearly clueless.

you read my mind there. He must be doing something right if Keegan is going with 3 strikers and they're still managing to keep clean sheets...

tetsujin1979
23/04/2008, 3:10 PM
Anyone doubting Hughton's coaching abilities is clearly clueless.
I don't think anyone doubted his coaching abilities, but some of us on the forums did wonder what his input into Brian Kerr's tactics were

Pike B
23/04/2008, 3:47 PM
Very harsh there I think. Spurs got two fifth placed finishes under Hughton as coach, which they have not done in years. I dont like the revisisonism of the Jol era that is going on in the media at the moment. I like what I see of Ramos but when they finish regularly in the top 5 and nearly top 4 under Ramos only then can he can be held as high as Martin Jol.

Other than that Chris Hughton is a Spurs and Ireland legend and a gentleman also.
Perhaps that's why he was never The Top Man. Too much of a gentleman. I think the boss has to be a ruthless baxtard in football. Well, that or a tactical genius.

Drumcondra 69er
23/04/2008, 3:49 PM
I don't think anyone doubted his coaching abilities, but some of us on the forums did wonder what his input into Brian Kerr's tactics were

Someone called hima crap coach on this very thread.

Wondered myself mate but Kerr was the boss and to paraphrase another 'manager' who's name escapes me what he said goes! Brian wanted to sit on a lead then that was his decision not the coach's I guess....