PDA

View Full Version : Buckley Park

blobbyblob
22/02/2008, 1:32 PM
Was anyone down there last night for the international?

What happens now?

A face
22/02/2008, 10:15 PM
I didn't know it was on? What game was that?

oldyouth
22/02/2008, 11:23 PM
I think that's where the problem lies with Kilkenny football and the hapless FAI. I only heard from a work colleague today (who lives next door to the ground) that there was a match on. Ireland U17s beat Finland U17s 6-1. I never heard anything about it and I'm sure the locals didn't either

sadloserkid
23/02/2008, 4:08 PM
That said lads I knew it was on. And just from reading The Star. The problem with football in Kilkenny is that not enough people care about it. How much coverage did the local press give the game there?

A face
24/02/2008, 6:24 PM
I think that's where the problem lies with Kilkenny football and the hapless FAI. I only heard from a work colleague today (who lives next door to the ground) that there was a match on. Ireland U17s beat Finland U17s 6-1. I never heard anything about it and I'm sure the locals didn't either

This is exactly the kind of game that needs to be publicised. Kilkenny could have done with the extra revenue from this. Missed opportunity there i think.

Topman
24/02/2008, 8:01 PM
There was plenty of media coverage about the game and lots on the FAI Website (they were only U17s Internationals) but if anybody has any interest in the game they would have known it was on.....dont go blaming the FAI etc...just educate yourself to look for the right places to get information, you all post here so i know you have access to the internet http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2892

I travelled down on Tuesday night, very good performance and the correct approach to playing the Beautiful game, 3 good goals in a 3-0 win and that followed up with a 6-1 win on Thursday night.

oldyouth
24/02/2008, 10:40 PM
The FAI website is the last place you should go for information on fixtures. As a matter of interest, I've just had a look at the site. If you hit Internationals, then the U17 heading, you will see that the last updated page is from 21/3/06, although some of the other information is more recent. However, I still can't see their fixture list. Any clues?????:confused:

soccerc
24/02/2008, 10:59 PM
There was plenty of media coverage about the game and lots on the FAI Website (they were only U17s Internationals) but if anybody has any interest in the game they would have known it was on.....dont go blaming the FAI etc...just educate yourself to look for the right places to get information, you all post here so i know you have access to the internet http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2892

I travelled down on Tuesday night, very good performance and the correct approach to playing the Beautiful game, 3 good goals in a 3-0 win and that followed up with a 6-1 win on Thursday night.

Agree with the above.

Friendly underage games don't generally attract huge crowds. Usually only family, friends and interested observers.

I too was there on the Tuesday. Some pics of the game here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/soccerc/sets/72157603946046867/)

A face
25/02/2008, 9:56 AM
Not a chance. Come off the stage lads

If football fans dont know its on then how in gods name will Joe Public know? Is this not outlining the inherent problem with domestic football here in one foul swoop?

Its not about educating yourself to where to look ..... thats not how advertising works. Advertising always works the other way around .... the advertisier tells the potential punter that it on and then they decide to go.

To expect this to happen the other way around is alarming to say the least. Should we just throw the towel in now?

And to say that people aren't interested in the game? Interested or not, they will not be interested if they dont know its on. If they dont know it on then you a 100% guarantee that they wont be there, at least you can be sure of that :rolleyes:

blobbyblob
25/02/2008, 10:31 AM
Not a chance. Come off the stage lads

If football fans dont know its on then how in gods name will Joe Public know? Is this not outlining the inherent problem with domestic football here in one foul swoop?

Have to agree with A Face on this one.

Aside from that, who is now responsible for looking after Buckley Park now?

I presume that its held in trust. Obviously it costs money to maintain a ground and it wont take long for the weeds to start growning. Good and all as he is, cant see Jim Rathigan taking out the lawnmower every Saturday for the rest of his life.

Have the Kilkenny Junior League been consulted about using it in any circumstances? Be a shame to leave a ground of such a high standard drift away to nothingness.

amjl
26/02/2008, 2:00 PM
How much coverage did the local press give the game there?

There's wasn't even a mention in the Kilkenny Peolple in the weeks preceeding it. There was a small article on the young Holohan chap who's from Kilkenny and a brief mention of the game in that but no date/K.O. time. It obviously does help that the biggest selling local newspaper wouldn't even mention that much.

amjl
26/02/2008, 2:19 PM
Have to agree with A Face on this one.

Aside from that, who is now responsible for looking after Buckley Park now?

I presume that its held in trust. Obviously it costs money to maintain a ground and it wont take long for the weeds to start growning. Good and all as he is, cant see Jim Rathigan taking out the lawnmower every Saturday for the rest of his life.

Have the Kilkenny Junior League been consulted about using it in any circumstances? Be a shame to leave a ground of such a high standard drift away to nothingness.

The latest I heard was that they were going to use Buckley Park for an youth academy, with proper coaching, developing of mental strenght & nutrition/diet planning, etc. Whether "they" is Kilkenny City for the U-20 league or whether its the FAI as I read somewhere that they're suppose to developing an acadmey (& subsequetly using Buckley Park, possibly)
There was an article in the Kilkenny Advertiser by former City manager Billy Walsh about the academy but it didn't go into too much detail. I also heard it from someone else before I read that article. Only time will tell what will happen but the aim is to keep Buckley available to Irish football in some capacity.

The K&DL have their own HQ at the back of buckley Park have invested thousnds into its redevelopment, new pitch, new clubhouse & new floodlights have all gone over the last few years so I dont think they'll be looking to move into Buckley, for now last least...