PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Controllers Strike

Lionel Ritchie
21/02/2008, 10:04 AM
Wasn't entirely sure which way to go on this one but Michael O'Leary was some help this morning on Morning Ireland when he stated these people are on €140,000 a year and are another example of greedy, underworked public sector workers being egged on by their unions to screw the country for even more and that they are an afront to the ordinary minimum wage worker who makes a tenth of that amount P.A.

He then, without much grilling, conceded his €140,000 figure was based on a topend-of-scale controller working a 35 hour week PLUS an average of 15-20 hours overtime which left me wondering how afronted the ordinary minimum wage worker, coming back from their hols in the Costas late on a friday maybe, would be to know the guy talking their plane down has been doing 9 to 9's all week?

noby
21/02/2008, 10:15 AM
For a second there I thought you were coming out in agreement with O'Leary.
Whatever about the ins and outs of the dispute, bringing salary into it just muddies the water.

Sligo Hornet
21/02/2008, 1:44 PM
I agree that the salary paid is not relevant to the dispute ( as far asI know )........if you are "tired" after your full shift, the fact that you get a big whack of overtime cash doesn't help the situation.

However, get it resolved pronto lads ffs!:eek:.......it's my daughter's birthday next Thursday ( day of proposed strike ) and she has booked a long weekend celebration trip to Dublin:mad:

pete
25/02/2008, 1:05 AM
140k for even a 60 hour week seems fairly good to me considering the qualifications for an Air Trafic Controller are not much more than a pass Leaving Cert plus you get trained. I think you have to do an interview so I suppose knowing someone would be an advantage. Not surprisingly positions don't come up very often & stacks of applications.

I will try find the link but i think standard salary is 70-75k + overtime & i presume job for life. I don't think even Dublin would be too busy to have high stress levels.

BohsPartisan
25/02/2008, 7:50 AM
Presume?
On average they only do a few years in the job due to stress! Positions don't come up very often because the DAA aren't recruiting enough of them. Plus you need a background in computing.

Lionel Ritchie
25/02/2008, 9:19 AM
140k for even a 60 hour week seems fairly good to me considering the qualifications for an Air Trafic Controller are not much more than a pass Leaving Cert plus you get trained. I think you have to do an interview so I suppose knowing someone would be an advantage. Not surprisingly positions don't come up very often & stacks of applications.

I will try find the link but i think standard salary is 70-75k + overtime & i presume job for life. I don't think even Dublin would be too busy to have high stress levels.

You're missing the point somewhat is your assertion that 140k for a 60 hour week seems fair. Nobody doing that job should work anything like a 60 hour week.

noby
25/02/2008, 10:25 AM
I only ever (knowingly) met one air traffic controller. He had worked in Cork airport, I think.
I was doing some crumby computer maintenance FÁS course. It turns out he only got on the course as a favour. He had had a breakdown from the stress of work, and was re-learning how to use a computer. The simplest of tasks were very daunting for him. Poor sod.

Newryrep
25/02/2008, 4:17 PM
Went on a 2 day aptitude course for ATC at Bounemount airport a fair few years agos. Didnt make it through to the second day but there were a series of tests more so to try and gauge your personality ie alledgely there are no right or wrong answers but they are obviously looking for a certain personality. There did appear to be a high burn out rate .Always remember one question regarding routes

eg you know a certain route A - B will definelty get you there but you suspect another route will get you to B quicker would you try it ?

Macy
26/02/2008, 8:43 AM
The controllers are going on strike because of the level of overtime they're expected to do, yet Ryanair go on the attack over how much they earn because of the overtime? :rolleyes:

Also notice O'Leary and Crawley going on about how many times the average industrial wage the air traffic controllers earn, but failing to mention how much above it they earn. Hypocrites. Mind you, nice way of changing the subject away from why it takes super efficient Ryanair a weekend to update a website...

Air traffic controllers, doctors, nurses - any other high stress with high risk outcomes if it's not done well that we should add to the list that we insist on them doing crazy hours?

HarpoJoyce
26/02/2008, 9:06 AM
The controllers are going on strike because of the level of overtime they're expected to do, yet Ryanair go on the attack over how much they earn because of the overtime? :rolleyes:

Also notice O'Leary and Crawley going on about how many times the average industrial wage the air traffic controllers earn, but failing to mention how much above it they earn. Hypocrites. Mind you, nice way of changing the subject away from why it takes super efficient Ryanair a weekend to update a website...

Air traffic controllers, doctors, nurses - any other high stress with high risk outcomes if it's not done well that we should add to the list that we insist on them doing crazy hours?

Excellent points.

I do know that in 1999/2000 the training salary for the first two years at Shannon was IR£150.00 per week. Which was a very poor wage to commit to for that lenght of time.

NeilMcD
26/02/2008, 10:54 AM
Typical O Leary not to stick to the issue and the muddy the waters.

Lim till i die
26/02/2008, 11:11 AM
On an aside (Almost Michael O'Leary like if you will ;) ) my uncle was an air traffic controller for years and years and refuses point blank to fly because of some of the stuff he saw while working as an air traffic controller. :eek: :)

Sligo Hornet
26/02/2008, 11:42 AM
On an aside (Almost Michael O'Leary like if you will ;) ) my uncle was an air traffic controller for years and years and refuses point blank to fly because of some of the stuff he saw on the job. :eek: :)

What has his sex life got to do with it?.....is his bedroom overlooking the runway?

noby
26/02/2008, 11:54 AM
Lads, I like silly innuendo as much as the next person, but can we keep it out of Current Affairs please?

Lim till i die
26/02/2008, 12:00 PM
Lads, I like silly innuendo as much as the next person, but can we keep it out of Current Affairs please?

I actually agree.

It's just ask a stupid question and all that......

Newryrep
26/02/2008, 3:51 PM
On an aside (Almost Michael O'Leary like if you will ;) ) my uncle was an air traffic controller for years and years and refuses point blank to fly because of some of the stuff he saw while working as an air traffic controller. :eek: :)

I have a mate who i would see very infrequently whos a airline pilot and when I asked him about 'you must have a few stories' he said you dont want to know.

Ignorance is bliss

pete
02/03/2008, 11:49 AM
IAA website (http://www.iaa.ie/corp_fin/car_faq.asp#9)

What qualifications do I need to be an Air Traffic Controller?
You need a Leaving Certificate with 5 passes (including English and Maths) with Grade C in at least two Higher Level Papers. An equivalent qualification may be acceptable.

Do I get paid whilst training as an Air Traffic Controller?
Yes, all students are paid an allowance of €18,506 per annum whilst actively engaged on the training programme.

FAS website (http://www.careerdirections.ie/CDW3C/AccessDBAllCareerDetails.jsp?id=9#5)

A qualified and experienced Air Traffic Controller earns in the range of EUR 52,500 - EUR 74,000 a year. Students are paid an allowance of EUR 16,366 per year. They do however have to pay their own accommodation costs.
Work hours may be irregular and sometimes hours being long.
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) recruits Student Controllers and provides free training.

I don't want to insult anyone but I can't understand how Cork Airport Air Traffic Control could be any more stressful than your average job. It is no Heathrow. It probably has 1 arrival or departure at most every 10 minutes.

The simple solution is to hire more staff although obviously will take time to train them. Obviously this will mean less overtime & less money for the Air Traffic Controllers. In fact the IAA will save more as not paying overtime rates.

Macy
03/03/2008, 7:31 AM
I don't want to insult anyone but I can't understand how Cork Airport Air Traffic Control could be any more stressful than your average job. It is no Heathrow. It probably has 1 arrival or departure at most every 10 minutes.
Would've thought they'd be covering airspace above and around Cork, so a lot of european traffic passing over too?

The simple solution is to hire more staff although obviously will take time to train them. Obviously this will mean less overtime & less money for the Air Traffic Controllers. In fact the IAA will save more as not paying overtime rates.
Pete in agreement with Trade Unions shock. :eek::D

pete
03/03/2008, 3:53 PM
Would've thought they'd be covering airspace above and around Cork, so a lot of european traffic passing over too?

Possibly. However I would assume the takeover & landings is the important work otherwise just planes on Air Motorway? Any planes watchers on here?

Pete in agreement with Trade Unions shock. :eek::D

Maybe I need to rephrase that... ;)