PDA

View Full Version : O'Shea and Duff to Real Madrid

colster
30/06/2003, 9:55 AM
I don't know if this would be a good move for Duffer but O'Shea would probably get his game.

http://www.setanta.com/soccer/story.jsp?story=WCContent;id-48257

Éanna
30/06/2003, 11:17 AM
i don't think duff would get near the team TBH- they already have solari and raul bravo as left sided players who can't get in the team, savio was loaned out for the year as well. Would be a great move for O'Shea though.

colster
30/06/2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
i don't think duff would get near the team TBH- they already have solari and raul bravo as left sided players who can't get in the team, savio was loaned out for the year as well. Would be a great move for O'Shea though.

I think Duff is better than any of those players mentioned. I just think that he'll get the same number of matches as McManaman.

I agree that it could be a great move for O'Shea.

pete
30/06/2003, 11:26 AM
Real are ready to make a 20 million euro bid for the winger according to both the News Of The World and The Sunday Mirror newspapers.

Must be true then.

Duff is not worth €20m & not even Real Madrid would pay that money.

I suppose these rumours are coming from the same place that suggested Raul was out of Madrid.

:rolleyes:

colster
30/06/2003, 11:31 AM
Yes I know. I'll believe it when I see it but it was an interesting story and would be sensational if it happened.

pineapple stu
30/06/2003, 5:56 PM
Anybody remember the other great Irish transfers of recent years? Alan Kelly to Barcelona and Niall Quinn to Sporting Lisbon among the best of them! I'll believe it when I see it!

That said, I don't think O'Shea of Duff would be hugely out of place at Real - and they're only young, so they'd learn a huge amount.

Slash/ED
30/06/2003, 6:05 PM
Duff is good enough to get his game there but wouldn't because it's all based on reputation over there. O'Shea, on the other hand, would definitely get his game, he has a bigger reputation and plays in their problem position, given his connections with the manager that's alot more realistic.

pineapple stu
30/06/2003, 10:28 PM
I'd imagine Duff has a decent enough reputation in Spain after playing Spain in the World Cup and tearing the defence to shreds for the period he was on the wing?

O'Shea, though, is a defender - what would Real be doing with one of them?:D

petef
02/07/2003, 9:23 AM
I can remember not so long ago that Barcelona were interested in Gary Breen.

pineapple stu
02/07/2003, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by petef

And Inter as well, wasn't it? Forgotten about that...

gspain
02/07/2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by petef

Now they have another chance. :D :D :D :D

We all dream of a team of Gary Breens - a team of Gary Breens a team of Gary Breens and number 1 is Gary Breen...........oh happy memories

Always admire him for wearing an Irish shirt to school in England the day after Stuttgart.

petef
03/07/2003, 9:53 AM
Speaking of crap players, my mate went to school with Phil Babb, had a funny story about how Babbs older brothers used to run the show in the school referred to as the "Infamous Babbs".

Dodge
03/07/2003, 10:22 AM
I'd be more impressed with Breen if he wore that shirt, the day before :) Also read a an interview with babb when he was 15 when he said he wanted to be Ireland's most capped player (republished obviously)

Éanna
03/07/2003, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
though maybe he just didn't fit into the English game.
I'd say thats what it was because the few times I saw him in spain he looked like a class act. AFAIK, he played as many times for spain this season as he did for Real. He's not going to keep roberto carlos out of the team there though, so he may have to move on.

gspain
04/07/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
I'd be more impressed with Breen if he wore that shirt, the day before :) Also read a an interview with babb when he was 15 when he said he wanted to be Ireland's most capped player (republished obviously)

Just to clarify Gary Breen always considered himself Irish growing up. He didn't switch alleagiances after Stuttgart.

He's also a better player than he gets credit for albeit prone to the odd c******. He gives 110% in a green jersey and that's all we can ask. Ditto for the like sof Kevin Kilbane

Seamus #1
08/07/2003, 8:28 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Just to clarify Gary Breen always considered himself Irish growing up. He didn't switch alleagiances after Stuttgart.

He's also a better player than he gets credit for albeit prone to the odd c******. He gives 110% in a green jersey and that's all we can ask. Ditto for the like sof Kevin Kilbane

I watched Gary Breen come through the ranks at Maidstone United. I remember him being picked for the Irish youth team when he first broke into the first team at 17. He has over 50 caps now so he must be doing something right.

On the subject of Duff and O'Shea - this is absolute nonsense. It's not because they are not good enough because they both are - its because they are not glam enough. Madrid need a defender badly but instead they plump for that Beckham bloke. Now they are trying to tie up Ronaldinho for next year - where we he play they don't need him at all!

tiktok
08/07/2003, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by Seamus #1
IOn the subject of Duff and O'Shea - It's not because they are not good enough because they both are - its because they are not glam enough.

i don't know, real were chasing Lucio, the brazilian, far from glam i'm afraid;)

i think o'shea will be at that level in time, i don't think duff will be.

Éanna
09/07/2003, 5:56 PM
Real have signed a guy from Indepediente in Argentina. I think his name is Milito or something. Meant to be a class centre-back.

Seamus #1
10/07/2003, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
i don't know, real were chasing Lucio, the brazilian, far from glam i'm afraid;)

Lucio has been a Brazilian international for some time now indeed, he was part of the world cup winning team. He has also won rave reviews in the Champions League playing a big part in his team reaching the final. O'Shea and Duff have only come to international attention over the last year or so and are not as big names.

Originally posted by tiktok
i think o'shea will be at that level in time, i don't think duff will be.

Surely both of these players are good enough to play in any team already - how are they not? :confused:

Slash/ED
10/07/2003, 5:41 PM
I think he means reputation wise, which is vitally important in Spain, I think they're both good enough for Real as it is alright.

tiktok
10/07/2003, 7:04 PM
Originally posted by Seamus #1
Lucio has been a Brazilian international for some time now indeed, he was part of the world cup winning team. He has also won rave reviews in the Champions League playing a big part in his team reaching the final.

it was just a throw away comment to the use of the word glam, lucio is a great player, but a very ugly man.

and thanks slash/ed, i did mean rep wise, o'shea has won rave reviews playing champions league football as well. the spanish are aware of duff after the WC but i doubt to the same extent, also duff isn't as good as the attacking players they have, but o'shea probably is as good as their defenders at the moment.

that's all i meant.;)