PDA

View Full Version : Nice touch by City

Counting Crow
29/06/2003, 11:39 AM
Nice touch by City, in the Echo each night this week, where they had an add in the Sports Pages wishing the hurlers "all the best" on Sunday.

That, in conjunction with the Nemo presentation, can only be good for the Club profile in the community / city / county.

This is the sort of forward thinking we need more of, to build up the big fan base we all know is lurking out there.

Full marks guys .........keep it up.

razor
29/06/2003, 12:22 PM
What annoys me is that these goodwill gestures towards the GAA are rarely reciprocated.

Trax
29/06/2003, 4:06 PM
In the Examiner 2 yesterday,nice touch alright,cant do any harm as far as I can see so I'm all for it.Agree about the GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA too,they're not exactly the most people-friendly Organisation.

Counting Crow
29/06/2003, 8:41 PM
Agree with you both Trax & Razor.

It will be interesting to see if the GAA pay for a similar add if and when we beat Pats to get into the League Cup Final?

patsh
29/06/2003, 10:21 PM
There were quite a few red City jerseys in Thurles today. Dolan was there and I thought I saw Mulconroy wandering around before the game.

ccfc till i die
29/06/2003, 10:38 PM
What a match, Cork for the all Ireland

RedX
30/06/2003, 3:20 AM
Dolan was there..oh no....looks like we will have a big write up on the Echo over the next week or two interviewing him, and he will be saying that he wants to see all those fans that were in Thurles turn out for there City soccer club also and be as passionate and vocal.Maybe he will be right....

Trax
30/06/2003, 7:59 AM
Dead right,if we can get 25,000 up to thurles I cant see why we shouldnt fill a stadium in the middle of our city every 2 weeks.I wait with baited breath to see if theGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA reciprocate the nice gesture.........

pete
30/06/2003, 9:46 AM
Are not the Cork GAA one the most insurlar in the country basically leading the anti-foreign sports in Croke Park.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Cork GAA to return the gesture to CCFC. I don't think they've changed much as recetn as the 80's when they blocking GAA players from playing for City.

:rolleyes:

patsh
30/06/2003, 10:10 AM
Let's not confuse a few cavemen like F. Murphy and his ilk on the Cork County Board with the team and management. It's a nice gesture all right, but if we get to the FAI Cup final for instance, and the CCB does not put an add in the Echo wishing us luck, don't get too het up about it. Most of those guys are miserable f*ckers who have spent far too much time in commitee meetings to know what is going on around them.
I was in Thurles yesterday, and hope to be in Croke Park on the first Sunday in September, and will be at all City home games and a few away games, just like a lot of other people, and thats all that really matters.

Éanna
30/06/2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by razor
What annoys me is that these goodwill gestures towards the GAA are rarely reciprocated.
spot on. It was a nice touch by city, but I dunno why they bother. The GAA crowd are the most bigoted shower of fools on this island after the orange order.

patsh
30/06/2003, 1:32 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
The GAA crowd are the most bigoted shower of fools on this island after the orange order.
Thats a dangerous, inaccurate and ridiculous comparison, Eanna.
The GAA are a sporting organisation, who have done incredible work all round this country across all social, religious and political sections of the community.
You take the lazy option by simply spouting a worn out and wrong cliche, instead of actually thinking for a minute, in your haste to condemn the organisation.
The Orange Order on the other hand are an overtly sectarian, political organisation many of whose members and officers declare themselves to want the destruction of an entire community.
Its stupid comparisons like yours which have resulted in the deaths of many innocent people in the north of this country.

Trax
30/06/2003, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
The GAA are a sporting organisation, who have done incredible work all round this country across all social, religious and political sections of the community.
You take the lazy option by simply spouting a worn out and wrong cliche, instead of actually thinking for a minute, in your haste to condemn the organisation.
The Orange Order on the other hand are an overtly sectarian, political organisation many of whose members and officers declare themselves to want the destruction of an entire community.
Its stupid comparisons like yours which have resulted in the deaths of many innocent people in the north of this country. That told him!!! I agree though.There's a time and place for those sort of arguements,and it sure as hell aint here.

pete
30/06/2003, 1:53 PM

I think the section of the GAA that are non-catholic would be fairly slim on the ground. If the GAA is a sporting organisation they should not be political.

A more accurate similarity to the GAA would be the Catholic church - done a lot of good but also a lot of wrong by certain members.

Schumi
30/06/2003, 3:00 PM

The GAA ... have done incredible work all round this country across all ... religious ... sections of the community. Bull****.

patsh
30/06/2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by pete
I think the section of the GAA that are non-catholic would be fairly slim on the ground. If the GAA is a sporting organisation they should not be political.

A more accurate similarity to the GAA would be the Catholic church - done a lot of good but also a lot of wrong by certain members.
The section of the Irish population that is non-Catholic is slim on the ground also, pete.

Originally posted by Schumi

Bull****.

Well Schumi, thanks for that well reasoned contribution, containing so many points refuting my contention.....:rolleyes:

both responses miss the point I was making.
How can you claim that the GAA is the same as an organisation like the Orange Order?

And anyone who is going to reply to this, please do so with factual evidence, not simply trot out your own predujice.

hmm, maybe a whole neww thread for Off-Topic methinks! ;)

Éanna
03/07/2003, 6:30 PM
I was waiting for someone to say something like that.

Very true. That said, if you were a DUP voter form Portadown you'd probably say that the Orange Order has done wonderful things in the community.

I wasn't taking a lazy option. I could have gone into the comparisons between the two organisations which led me to make the above statement, but I was in a rush.

Whereas banning people from playing certain sports that don't fit into its "Utopian" ideals, banning people because they chose to enter the police service or the army, and showing nothing but unbridled and racist hostility to anything they (in their infinite wisdom as protectors of irishness) consider to be "unirish." is perfectly ok, because they're irish. Nothing like the orange order then........

Its stupid comparisons like yours which have resulted in the deaths of many innocent people in the north of this country.
Thats an unacceptable slur to be quite honest with you, I don't see how you can make that accusation. I have no time for any sectarian organisation or anyone who kills anyone else.

show me an organisation in ireland other than the orange order which is more sectarian and bigotted than the GAA? Well? there isn't one.

patsh
03/07/2003, 7:54 PM
I was waiting for someone to say something like that.

Very true. That said, if you were a DUP voter form Portadown you'd probably say that the Orange Order has done wonderful things in the community.
That is only one section of the community. A different section will take a very different view. Thus the vast difference between the two organisations.
The GAA is a cross-community organisation. It does not ban and condemn people because of their religious or political beliefs.
The Orange Order does.

I wasn't taking a lazy option. I could have gone into the comparisons between the two organisations which led me to make the above statement, but I was in a rush.

Yes you did take the lazy option.
There are no comparisons what so ever.

Whereas banning people from playing certain sports that don't fit into its "Utopian" ideals, banning people because they chose to enter the police service or the army, and showing nothing but unbridled and racist hostility to anything they (in their infinite wisdom as protectors of irishness) consider to be "unirish." is perfectly ok, because they're irish. Nothing like the orange order then........
The objectionable rule the GAA had, rule 21, had a sound basis when it was first adopted. Members of the British Police and Army were an occuping force, and as a lot of people who played gaelic games objected to this and fought against it, it did not make sense to consort with the "enemy". This seems outlandish in this day and age, but we did not live then and cannot fairly judge them.
This rule has been dropped for awhile now, and huge efforts have been made by the GAA to arrange and play games with the RUC, PSNI and British Army.

Thats an unacceptable slur to be quite honest with you, I don't see how you can make that accusation. I have no time for any sectarian organisation or anyone who kills anyone else.

No it isn't. Because others of a more sinister bent use exactly the same flawed reasoning as you do, and because of this many people have been murdered.

show me an organisation in ireland other than the orange order which is more sectarian and bigotted than the GAA? Well? there isn't one.
Again, you lump the GAA in with the Orange order, and offer no evidence whatsoever, except an opinion. As highly as we all value our opinions, they do not constitute proof of any kind.
The GAA may have sectarian members and may include bigots in their number, but given that they represent all shades of Ireland, it's not surprising. Irish society in general contains bigots and racists so would it be fair to say that you, as a member of Irish society, can be called a bigot and a racist?

The Orange Order specifically and overtly demands that members, by definition, hold sectarian and bigoted views.
Thus there are NO COMPARIONS between the two organisations.

Éanna
03/07/2003, 9:49 PM
That is only one section of the community. A different section will take a very different view. Thus the vast difference between the two organisations.
oh right, and everyone on this island loves the GAA do they?! get real. your point of view is subjective, just like a that DUP voters would be.

The GAA is a cross-community organisation. It does not ban and condemn people because of their religious or political beliefs.
The Orange Order does.
The GAA is technically cross-community, it doesn't have the same barriers to membership as the Orange Order, granted, but in practice things aren't quite like that.

Yes you did take the lazy option.
There are no comparisons what so ever.
what you mean is you don't accept the comparisons i'm making. fine!

The objectionable rule the GAA had, rule 21, had a sound basis when it was first adopted. Members of the British Police and Army were an occuping force, and as a lot of people who played gaelic games objected to this and fought against it, it did not make sense to consort with the "enemy". This seems outlandish in this day and age, but we did not live then and cannot fairly judge them.
This rule has been dropped for awhile now, and huge efforts have been made by the GAA to arrange and play games with the RUC, PSNI and British Army.

Nationalists from the North who joined the RUC (an organisation I have no respect for BTW) after playing GAA since childhood suddenly morphed into an occupying force did they?! As for consorting with the enemy, thats precisely what any Orangeman would tell you is the problem with letting catholics join.

No it isn't. Because others of a more sinister bent use exactly the same flawed reasoning as you do, and because of this many people have been murdered.

thats rubbish, and I seriously hope you're taking the p!ss. If anyone is using inflamatory language here its the person referring to "enemies" and "occupying forces", not me.

Again, you lump the GAA in with the Orange order, and offer no evidence whatsoever, except an opinion. As highly as we all value our opinions, they do not constitute proof of any kind.
where did I say I was offerring conculsive scientific evidence that they could be compared?! This is a forum for discussion of peoples opinions; what do you want me to do- insert a disclaimer saying "this is my opinion, not scientific fact" before every post?

The GAA may have sectarian members and may
include bigots in their number, but given that they represent all shades of Ireland, it's not surprising. Irish society in general contains bigots and racists so would it be fair to say that you, as a member of Irish society, can be called a bigot and a racist?

(In my opinion) you're just being facetious here. I'm aware that a lot of good people do a lot of good work in the GAA, same is true of the Catholic Church; that doesn't disguise the fact that the hierarchy of both organisations are living in a time warp and cling to bigotted and/or racist policies and opinions.

The Orange Order specifically and overtly demands that members, by definition, hold sectarian and bigoted views.
Thus there are NO COMPARIONS between the two organisations.
If you don't agree fine, but if you actually read what I posted with an open mind, you would see at least some similarities between the two organisations. If you don't want to see them, fine.
Also, can you kindly explain how treating all "foreign" sports with such astonishing hostility is not racist or bigotted?! :confused:

Lastly, if you read my initial post again, you will see that I did not say that the GAA was AS bigotted as the orange Order, I said it was the most bigotted organisation in Ireland AFTER the Orange Order- there is a difference.

patsh
04/07/2003, 8:51 AM
oh right, and everyone on this island loves the GAA do they?! get real. your point of view is subjective, just like a that DUP voters would be.[/B]
How does loving or hating the GAA make it bigoted?
"get real" ?
My view is, by definition, subjective, as I am arguing the case from one "side". However, the DUP and Orange Order are a one religion, one political viewpoint. The GAA is a broad church, encompassing all social, political and religious strata. So you have on the one side a narrow, rigid membership as opposed to a broad all encompassing organisation.

The GAA is technically cross-community, it doesn't have the same barriers to membership as the Orange Order, granted, but in practice things aren't quite like that.

Another claim. What does "technically" mean in this context. What evidence have you to imply that "in practice" the GAA does have barriers to membership?

what you mean is you don't accept the comparisons i'm making. fine!

No, what I mean is that you are making statements without a shred of evidence. If there is a valid comparison, please show it.

Nationalists from the North who joined the RUC (an organisation I have no respect for BTW) after playing GAA since childhood suddenly morphed into an occupying force did they?! As for consorting with the enemy, thats precisely what any Orangeman would tell you is the problem with letting catholics join.

If the point doesn't suit you, talk about something else:rolleyes:
If you weren't being so obtuse, the point I was making, as you know well, is that the RUC and British Army were seen as an occupying force by the vast majority of people of a non-unionist persuasion. "Morphing Nationalists" is a rather bizzarre rejoinder.

thats rubbish, and I seriously hope you're taking the p!ss. If anyone is using inflamatory language here its the person referring to "enemies" and "occupying forces", not me.

Again, you try to twist what I said. In what conceivable way can you claim that
"Members of the British Police and Army were an occuping force, and as a lot of people who played gaelic games objected to this and fought against it, it did not make sense to consort with the "enemy". This seems outlandish in this day and age"
is in any way inflammatory?
Members of the GAA in the north have been murdered by loyalist organisations. They have been killed because of claims like "the GAA is bigoted and sectarian".

where did I say I was offerring conculsive scientific evidence that they could be compared?! This is a forum for discussion of peoples opinions; what do you want me to do- insert a disclaimer saying "this is my opinion, not scientific fact" before every post?

You made a statement. You well know the difference between a statement and an opinion. You are making a claim of fact, which you cannot backup. This is indeed a discussion forum. My opinion/view is that you made a dangerous and inaccurate claim. I put my points forward, but you now simply protest that it's your opinion, thats that, rather than actually discuss the issue to see if you can convince me of the merit of your viewpoint.

(In my opinion) you're just being facetious here. I'm aware that a lot of good people do a lot of good work in the GAA, same is true of the Catholic Church; that doesn't disguise the fact that the hierarchy of both organisations are living in a time warp and cling to bigotted and/or racist policies and opinions.

Why am I being "facetious". You claim an entire organisation is a "bigoted shower of fools". So either everybody in the GAA is a bigoted fool, or else you are tarring a huge amount of innocent people with the sins of the few. Which is it?
Another claim of "fact".
Name ONE person in the GAA Hierarchy, or show me ONE example of of the same hierarchy clinging to "bigotted and/or racist policies and opinions"

If you don't agree fine, but if you actually read what I posted with an open mind, you would see at least some similarities between the two organisations. If you don't want to see them, fine.
Also, can you kindly explain how treating all "foreign" sports with such astonishing hostility is not racist or bigotted?! :confused:

I do have an open mind. I am more than happy to engage in a discussion with you, and read the points you put forward to make your case. But you have not put a single piece of evidence forward to show these "some similarities ".
"treating all "foreign" sports with such astonishing hostility"
The GAA has behaved in an indefensable manner towards soccer. How does the attitude to this one sport constitute hostility to all sports?

Lastly, if you read my initial post again, you will see that I did not say that the GAA was AS bigotted as the orange Order, I said it was the most bigotted organisation in Ireland AFTER the Orange Order- there is a difference.

"The GAA crowd are the most bigoted shower of fools on this island after the orange order."

This is your original quote. You have since gone on to claim there are similarities between the organisations. I say there are no comparisons at all. You still have not shown one, just offered statements. If you had an open mind, as you claim I don't, you would either accept the merits of my arguments or convince me to accept the merits of yours.

Dricky
04/07/2003, 9:12 AM

This is your original quote. You have since gone on to claim there are similarities between the organisations. I say there are no comparisons at all. You still have not shown one, just offered statements. If you had an open mind, as you claim I don't, you would either accept the merits of my arguments or convince me to accept the merits of yours.

Lets see a group of men being lead out to a field by pipe bands
Could be Drumcree or Croke Park.

:D :D

Religion and Politics should not be mixed

likewise

Sport and Politics should not be mix.

Both will not except any outside influence, both believe that they have the right to push their believes on other people even when the majority of their followers would love to be open to anyone.

Both hide murderers under their order/club systems (especially up the north)

Now that’s my Friday rant over,

Orange is a promenint colour to both

ah the list goes on

There is only one religion and that is Cork City FC with Fr Dolan on the Pulpit

patsh
04/07/2003, 9:32 AM
Originally posted by Dricky
There is only one religion and that is Cork City FC with Fr Dolan on the Pulpit
I hear you, brother!:D :D

Éanna
05/07/2003, 12:12 PM
I put my points forward, but you now simply protest that it's your opinion

I did discuss it, I was just reiterating that it was an opinion and not a statement of fact.
Anyway, it was nice to see that the GAA had a letter in the programme thanking city for the ad- they proved a lot of people wrong on that, me included.