PDA

View Full Version : J1 students are not being employed

Ref
28/06/2003, 5:53 PM
Thousands of Irish students who have gone to the United States for the summer are experiencing difficulties in securing work because of a new issue with their visas.

With increased security across the US, officials are now taking longer in processing social security numbers, sometimes up to four weeks.

However, many employers will not take on students who do not immediately have the number.

Another rule that is also causing difficulty is a new rule in the J1 programme that states that students must declare their place of employment within 20 days of arrival in the US. Thousands of students are now alleged to be panicking.

Minister for Labour Affairs Frank Fahey is seeking to calm the situation.

breakingnews.ie

patsh
28/06/2003, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by Ref
How?
By resigning??:D

Colm
28/06/2003, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by Ref
Thousands of Irish students who have gone to the United States for the summer are experiencing difficulties in securing work because of a new issue with their visas.

With increased security across the US, officials are now taking longer in processing social security numbers, sometimes up to four weeks.

However, many employers will not take on students who do not immediately have the number.

Another rule that is also causing difficulty is a new rule in the J1 programme that states that students must declare their place of employment within 20 days of arrival in the US. Thousands of students are now alleged to be panicking.

breakingnews.ie

I heard something about that on Gerry Ryan alright yesterday. I was half asleep at the time but from what I could gather it seemed as if a lot of sudent's who went over to America now have all their plans in tatters.
Harsh!