PDA

View Full Version : El Tel Plans To Sue Eamo

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 11:37 AM
Best news I've heard all day!!!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/get-on-with-your-own-job-delaney-tells-keane-1291250.html

tetsujin1979
18/02/2008, 11:53 AM
If he's going to sue Dunphy, why not sue everyone else who said he would be a bad appointment?
Nothing story IMO

John83
18/02/2008, 11:55 AM
Win-win scenario!

shakermaker1982
18/02/2008, 11:56 AM
most of us on here could be getting a letter then!

Deckydee
18/02/2008, 11:56 AM
I will be ruined!

:)

ifk101
18/02/2008, 11:57 AM
"..... may lead to further action".

:rolleyes:

John83
18/02/2008, 11:57 AM
If he's going to sue Dunphy, why not sue everyone else who said he would be a bad appointment?
Nothing story IMO
I'd like to know what specifically he's talking about suing over. There's fair comment and then there's libel. If anyone is going to step over that line, I would have thought it's Dunphy.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 12:20 PM
Newspaper talk. Won't happen. I would like it to but it won't. "May lead to action".

Non-story.

Scram
18/02/2008, 12:25 PM
Newspaper talk. Won't happen. I would like it to but it won't. "May lead to action".

Non-story.

Yes probably not.

But it would be great viewing, much better that the boring aul Mohammed El Fayed "Prince Phillip murdered my son and slapper daughter-in-law to be" or the one-legged gold digger divorce settlement etc...

Sue him Terry please, and then prove that there is no basis to Dunphy's statements :o

Wangball
18/02/2008, 12:26 PM
You can't sue someone for having an opinion, especially not a pundit whose job is to share his opinion

For Venables to be successful he'll have to prove that Dunphys negative comments have in some way prejudiced his attempts to get the Ireland job, which is easier said than done

If the story is true and he is contemplating legal action it would seem that he's just scapegoating Dunphy and should really just accept that he hasn't gotten the job because we've employed a more suitable candidate with a better record and a better pedigree

Scram
18/02/2008, 12:43 PM
You can't sue someone for having an opinion, especially not a pundit whose job is to share his opinion

For Venables to be successful he'll have to prove that Dunphys negative comments have in some way prejudiced his attempts to get the Ireland job, which is easier said than done

If the story is true and he is contemplating legal action it would seem that he's just scapegoating Dunphy and should really just accept that he hasn't gotten the job because we've employed a more suitable candidate with a better record and a better pedigree

What are you talkng about :confused: He would be suing him for slander/libel as anyone can do, nothing whatsoever to do with him not getting the job.

BigmanCas
18/02/2008, 1:53 PM
Dunphy had no right whatsoever to say the things he said on that fateful Tuesday night. It was slander pure and simple and I hope Venables takes him to the cleaners I really do. Who does Dunphy think he is???????

osarusan
18/02/2008, 2:16 PM
What exactly did Dunphy say? Are there any links people could point me to?

bohsRap
18/02/2008, 2:30 PM
I would like it to but it won't

Why would you like to see it happen?
Surely if every commentator got pulled for speaking their mind we'd end up with the dullest opinions ever!

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 2:44 PM
Think it's here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/1127/soccer_av.html

5 minutes in to it about. As you listen to the spiel about the great manager he wants for the Irish people, remember this was the man proposing that giant of management, Paul Jewell.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 2:48 PM
Why would you like to see it happen?
Surely if every commentator got pulled for speaking their mind we'd end up with the dullest opinions ever!

There's speaking your mind and then there are the personal attacks and vendettas which Dunphy has engaged in. This incidentally from the man who got up and left a studio in a huff when he was being lampooned by the Apres Match people I think it was.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 3:12 PM
5 minutes in to it about. As you listen to the spiel about the great manager he wants for the Irish people, remember this was the man proposing that giant of management, Paul Jewell.

Paul Jewell could have worked out for us. He took over a very difficult job in Derby. Granted, he hasn't done well in it even by their standards, but it's too early to judge him on that job. Jewell was one of the better options available at the time, but obviously isn't a patch on Trapattoni.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 3:16 PM
Paul Jewell could have worked out for us. He took over a very difficult job in Derby. Granted, he hasn't done well in it even by their standards, but it's too early to judge him on that job. Jewell was one of the better options available at the time, but obviously isn't a patch on Trapattoni.

Was a disaster at Sheffield Wednesday as well but then, most managers there have been :o Jewell wasn't a great option. I probably would have preferred Vegetables :eek:

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 3:19 PM
Was a disaster at Sheffield Wednesday as well but then, most managers there have been :o Jewell wasn't a great option. I probably would have preferred Vegetables :eek:

Fair enough. I think he could have done okay for us, but it would definitely be a bit of a gamble. By no means would he have been guaranteed success. You could say the same with Trapattoni, but I think it's a lot more likely that he'll succeed.

NeilMcD
18/02/2008, 4:14 PM
I think nearly everything Dunphy said there about Venables was spot on. I wonder on what basis could Venables sue Dunphy. The only bit is the bit about the Holiday Show with the BBC

Tir Oilean
18/02/2008, 4:59 PM
Dunphy had no right whatsoever to say the things he said on that fateful Tuesday night. It was slander pure and simple and I hope Venables takes him to the cleaners I really do. Who does Dunphy think he is???????

It wasnt slander it was the truth and sometimes that hurts! Dunphy was dead right and said what most of us were thinking anyway.

HolylandsMan
18/02/2008, 7:01 PM
Had a listen to what he said. Basically its all fair comment - a critical analysis of his football record. He states nothing but facts about Venables' run ins with the law so I don't think TV would have a leg to stand on in court.

cavan_fan
18/02/2008, 7:25 PM
The nearest precedent is Kewell suing Lineker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4072964.stm

but the jury failed to reach a verdict

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4099720.stm

blobbyblob
19/02/2008, 3:18 PM
Pretty fine and balanced arguement there by the Dunph.

All his statements supported by facts/examples. Ten days of research behind what he was saying. As a PR expert, Im sure Bill would have drawn him back into line if he thought he was crossing it as he has done before, if not for Eamon, for RTEs sake.

Drumcondra 69er
19/02/2008, 3:41 PM
Pretty fine and balanced arguement there by the Dunph.

All his statements supported by facts/examples. Ten days of research behind what he was saying. As a PR expert, Im sure Bill would have drawn him back into line if he thought he was crossing it as he has done before, if not for Eamon, for RTEs sake.

10 days of research, had to laugh when I saw that back at the time!

More likely Eamo spent 10 minutes browsing the Venables thread on here!

OwlsFan
19/02/2008, 4:15 PM
10 days of research, had to laugh when I saw that back at the time!

More likely Eamo spent 10 minutes browsing the Venables thread on here!

It would take more than 10 minutes researching Dunphy's own altercations with the law and the many attacks on leading figures in Irish life which ended up in the High Court. He cost the Independent Group well over €600,000 in libel damages during his time at the paper.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.