PDA

View Full Version : Michael Carrick

feo123
16/02/2008, 6:30 PM
Am i the only one who thinks he is absolute top class? forget the amount united paid for him. his passing is just top drawer everytime, hardly ever gives possesion away and creates so many chances every game.
what do ye think of him?

De Town
16/02/2008, 6:42 PM
yep i agree with you on that one, top class player. should be regularly starting for england aswell.

TheBoss
16/02/2008, 6:42 PM
I think he is really top passer of the ball, he never seems to give the ball away, he is also handy at defending, some people do not realise how good at defending he is. Pity for England that they tend to perist with Lampard instead of him.

ramsfan
16/02/2008, 6:44 PM
had a great game today and has done well this season anderson is a perfect foil for him as he breaks up alot of the play and gives carrick space to pick passes

feo123
16/02/2008, 6:49 PM
i just think that alot of people say he is no good, if im watching a game in the pub its always carrick people seem to give out about, he dosnt get enough recognition for the role he plays for united.

eirebhoy
16/02/2008, 6:52 PM
It's the same with Alonso. Even Pirlo doesn't get enough credit.

rambler14
16/02/2008, 9:46 PM
Am i the only one who thinks he is absolute top class? forget the amount united paid for him. his passing is just top drawer everytime, hardly ever gives possesion away and creates so many chances every game.
what do ye think of him?

Spot on. His passing his unbelievable. IMO the best passer of a ball over the top of the defence with Man Utd, with Paul Scholes being the best passer along the ground.
Eg: Today for Nani's goal. One word. DELICIOUS.

I rate him highly but I feel so sorry for him.
Signs for Man Utd and has a sketchy start to be fair, suffers with abuse from the critics. Then got to January and he turned a corner and became one of the key players in United winning the league. The Season ends and United are champions.
The summer comes and United sign Owen Hargreaves. Who becomes 1st choice midfielder with Scholes. Carrick warms the bench and loses his place in the England squad. Hargreaves gets injured and Carrick comes in and continues where he left off the previous season. Hargreaves returns and replaces Carrick. Hargreaves out again and once again Carrick comes in and continues where he left off the previous season.

He's been better than Hargreaves this year yet he can't get in the England squad and Hargreaves can.
Finally he seems to be edging Hargreaves out of the team and is continuing to show great form in a Man Utd jersey. It took a while but he is finally being rewarded. An under-rated player who deserves more.

eirebhoy
16/02/2008, 9:53 PM
It's more down to Hargreaves being a new costly signing and Scholes being so important to them. Carrick and Hargreaves is the future midfield for them though. Ferguson said himself last year he's basing his team on the Milan/Italy one.

Capello was at the match today and if Carrick scores 5 own goals before the next month he'll still be in the next England squad. There's no way you can talk about lack of technical ability and tactical awareness and leave Carrick out.

cartman
19/02/2008, 5:28 AM
lads, ye would want to take off yer red tinted spectacles.. carrick is a no-hoper.. united and fergusons main aim is to win champs league and if carrick is in the team they have no chance - he has never produced the goods against the top teams - either in england or in europe... hes a big girls blouse
hopefully he starts against lyon wednesday and ye will all see how sh*te he really is - ye wont even know hes on the pitch

eirebhoy
19/02/2008, 7:56 AM
Lyon? Roma are better than them.

TheBoss
19/02/2008, 12:48 PM
lads, ye would want to take off yer red tinted spectacles.. carrick is a no-hoper.. united and fergusons main aim is to win champs league and if carrick is in the team they have no chance - he has never produced the goods against the top teams - either in england or in europe... hes a big girls blouse
hopefully he starts against lyon wednesday and ye will all see how sh*te he really is - ye wont even know hes on the pitch

Either you are an Arsenal or Liverpool fan by the sounds of that.

feo123
19/02/2008, 2:20 PM

arsenal suddenly arnt a big team, no?

Angus
19/02/2008, 4:24 PM
what do ye think of him?

I agree - I have seen him live a few times for and against West Ham and I think he is top drawer.

He needs to be postioned in a side but his possession control, as you identified, is top drawer.

barney
19/02/2008, 5:23 PM
Carrick is absolutely top notch.

He's been brilliant for United lately and as someone said, people don't notice the defensive work that he does.

If you look at Tottenham's record in the early part of Jol's first full season, or even over that season as a whole, it shows how good Carrick is defensively (I know Davids contributed as well) because when he left, Spurs couldn't defend for toffee. He mightn't be a Roy Keane type; that's coz he's far more intelligent than that (that's not meant as an insult to Keane, who was a great player, btw).

As for his passing, it's a joy to watch.

beautifulrock
19/02/2008, 5:33 PM
Not a top notch player but a decent player. Good range of passes and uses the ball intelligently, but cannot tackle or does not get into goal scoring positions enough. I have to say it is easy to pick out the Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U fans here.

bennocelt
19/02/2008, 6:20 PM

Yeah def agree
he is useless, and you should all know by now the real reason Fergie paid so much for him;)

DmanDmythDledge
19/02/2008, 7:00 PM
Anyone that can't see that Carrick is an excellent player doesn't have a clue about football. Probably the same people that think Frank Lampard is world class cos he scores loads of goals for Chelsea. Carrick should walk into the England team ahead of him.

Not a top notch player but a decent player. Good range of passes and uses the ball intelligently, but cannot tackle or does not get into goal scoring positions enough.
Why is that when a midfielder gets praise someone always comes out and says that they don't score enough goals? :confused: He's a deep lying player ffs, his job his to dictate the play, protect the defence and create chances for his teammates.

cartman
19/02/2008, 8:47 PM
Either you are an Arsenal or Liverpool fan by the sounds of that.

im actually a united fan.. and have been since well before ferguson took over... so id say ive seen a good few united midfielders of the highest quality over the years...
i just cant believe ye started a whole thread on the worst united player at the moment..i watch every minute of every united game..and in half the games carrick starts you would not even know hes on the pitch - he has no impact at all... he just ponces around
to quote the boy of the dunphys once "ferguson thought he was getting a rolls royce and only now has he realised hes got a renault clio"
i fear if he plays the two legs against lyon, we will more than likely be out:(

beautifulrock
19/02/2008, 9:30 PM
:D
Anyone that can't see that Carrick is an excellent player doesn't have a clue about football. Probably the same people that think Frank Lampard is world class cos he scores loads of goals for Chelsea. Carrick should walk into the England team ahead of him.

Why is that when a midfielder gets praise someone always comes out and says that they don't score enough goals? :confused: He's a deep lying player ffs, his job his to dictate the play, protect the defence and create chances for his teammates.

FFS read the posts and see how much praise he gets :rolleyes: Any more of your observtions will be keenly waited upon as it would seem you are the only one tht knows anything around here

eirebhoy
19/02/2008, 9:42 PM
Not a top notch player but a decent player. Good range of passes and uses the ball intelligently, but cannot tackle or does not get into goal scoring positions enough.
You can say the exact same about Pirlo but he's still probably the most influential player in the world.

beautifulrock
19/02/2008, 9:52 PM
You can say the exact same about Pirlo but he's still probably the most influential player in the world.

Michael Carrick is no Pirlo that is for certain, it is a fact that he does not score goals in 136 games for WHU he scored 6 goals. It was not a critism I have already said he is a decent plaer. However, a few red tinters were getting carried away so I thought it was time to point out a few facts.

TheBoss
20/02/2008, 1:17 PM
Roy Keane was a not potent goal scorer, that means he must be a bad midfielder.

endabob1
20/02/2008, 2:51 PM
I seen a lot of Carrick when he was at Spurs and the argument about him not being a ball winner is nonsense, he's not a tackler in the Keane/Viera mould but he reads the game as well as anyone I've seen, he cuts out a huge amount of ball and as has been said elsewhere he rarely gives it away.
The arguments that if he plays in the CL games Utd will lose is even more spurrious as his game is more suited to the slower pace in Europe where he has more time to pick his pass.Whether he's worth the money Utd paid for him is immaterial but what is undeniable is that he left Spurs 18 months ago and has never been properly replaced which is one of the main reasons Spurs who threw away 4th place with Carrick in the squad have been unable to be anything like as consistent since.

jmurphyc
20/02/2008, 2:54 PM
I haven't seen too much of him this season, but he was excellent whenever I saw him play last year. A combination of Scholes and him is a lethal combination. They are England's two best passers of the ball and both are excellent at dictating the tempo of a game.

beautifulrock
20/02/2008, 4:46 PM
Roy Keane was a not potent goal scorer, that means he must be a bad midfielder.

correct he was useless :confused: well spotted. Give Trap a call he needs someone like you beside him

cartman
20/02/2008, 9:13 PM
The arguments that if he plays in the CL games Utd will lose is even more spurrious as his game is more suited to the slower pace in Europe where he has more time to pick his pass.

carrick came on for around half an hour tonight against lyon and he was woeful.. lyon were sitting back giving him huge amounts of time on the ball in central midfield and he punted about 5 passes 80 yards and straight out for goal kicks...
as johnney giles said if you put him and hargreaves together you might make one decent player.. cue dunphy "make that about half a player john"..genius stuff:D

shakermaker1982
20/02/2008, 9:21 PM
He was ****e but so was Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Giggs, Ronaldo (couldn't get into game at all), Rooney and who else? I'm not a big fan of Carrick and I don't think he's good enough to make a lasting impression on this Manchester Utd team but he's certainly good enough for other PL sides.

Nani put one or two decent balls in when he came in and his cross created the goal. I'd just wish somebody other than Giggs would take a ****ing corner!!!!!

rambler14
20/02/2008, 9:33 PM
Just didn't settle down.

Did ya hear the panel criticise Paul Scholes? The cheek! He was playing well an Fergie made a bad decision in taking him off. Schles is made look bad when he plays alongside Anderson. He needs a Carrick or Hargreaves to cover him. Himself and Anderson are too similar.

bennocelt
21/02/2008, 2:57 PM
Anyone that can't see that Carrick is an excellent player doesn't have a clue about football..

Tell us then why he is so class?
Cause all i see is a passenger

jmurphyc
21/02/2008, 3:06 PM
Tell us then why he is so class?
Cause all i see is a passenger

A passenger??? Perhaps he sin't as good as some make out, but he is by no means a passenger. If he was then he wouldn't have been signed or playing regularly for Man Utd. He's an important cog in their unit. Perhaps he'll be sold in the summer due to Anderson and possibly others coming in, but I personally don't think so. He's one of United's most intelligent players IMO.

bennocelt
21/02/2008, 3:25 PM
A passenger??? Perhaps he sin't as good as some make out, but he is by no means a passenger. If he was then he wouldn't have been signed or playing regularly for Man Utd. He's an important cog in their unit. Perhaps he'll be sold in the summer due to Anderson and possibly others coming in, but I personally don't think so. He's one of United's most intelligent players IMO.

Think John o Shea........manure utd have their quota of crap players

Think Sammy Larddice, Terry Ven, George Graham, Cloughie, Harry redknapp.................so why was he signed again for 15 million?

kingdom hoop
21/02/2008, 3:29 PM
so why was he signed again for 15 million?

Because he was one of the best midfielders in the league while at Tottenham.

osarusan
21/02/2008, 3:30 PM
Think Sammy Larddice, Terry Ven, George Graham, Cloughie, Harry redknapp................
What are you talking about?

jebus
21/02/2008, 3:32 PM
What are you talking about?

Unproven and proven transfer bung payments I presume. Throw Big Sam's name on to that list too please :)

jmurphyc
21/02/2008, 4:24 PM
Think John o Shea........manure utd have their quota of crap players

Think Sammy Larddice, Terry Ven, George Graham, Cloughie, Harry redknapp.................so why was he signed again for 15 million?

Every team has a fair amount of crap players. They're needed to keep a squad fresh. But I don't think Carrick is one of United's. I didn't really rate him before, but then I started watching United a bit and him in particular, mainly wondering why they signed him, and he really started to impress me. If he's not your cup of tea fair enough, but to compare him to O'Shea is ridiculous.

cartman
24/04/2008, 12:35 AM
have to say carrick was wonderful tonight - he totally dominated the central midfield... with his big black long frame you wouldn't think he'd have such control of the game but he was immense..he looked very similar to vieira in his pomp.. what an athlete

cartman
24/04/2008, 12:38 AM
oops :eek:sorry :rolleyes:
have just been informed i was looking at the wrong bloody midfielder - that must have been the african lad for barca.. shoddy workmanship by myself..apologies boyos
scholes was a collossus for united in midfield tonight...did carrick play/come on at all???

Dodge
24/04/2008, 7:08 AM
Anyone that can't see that Carrick is an excellent player doesn't have a clue about football.

Just seen this doozy now...

Wow!

Lim till i die
24/04/2008, 7:44 AM
Anyone that can't see that Carrick is an excellent player doesn't have a clue about football.

Was found out for the mediocrity that he is last night.

Bravo on looking foolish mind.

DmanDmythDledge
24/04/2008, 12:04 PM
Because one game proves everything...