PDA

View Full Version : To save our club this is what we gotta do this Saturday

deise deserter
27/06/2003, 8:08 AM
Okay, we have plans in regards getting greater numbers up to Pike on Tuesday.

1. Poster Campaign - on Saturday we cover the city in posters letting people know that the game is on. Declan Jordan has designed a good poster for us to us.

2. Tickets for Sligo Game - We were given a bunch of tickets to sell to those who might be interested in coming to the match by the cimittee last night. If you think you know of anyone who would be interested in coming up to the game for a cheaper price let me know and I will pass on tickets.

We need volunteers to do the poster campaign on Saturday. Can anyone who can help post here and let me know. Thanks.

JohnD
27/06/2003, 8:27 AM
Myself and Deise attended the afters of the committee meeting last night. The Players were represented by Miker Kerley and Derek Whyte. We were asked for our ideas on what could be done in the present crisis. We outlined:

1...Selling Tickets and Poster Campaign..immediate effect. We feel that the tickets should be sold at a reduced rate to entice people to go.

2...Opening up the Club to membership €100 per year and holding AGMs, electing a Board etc..

3...Holding a battle of Limerick Game v Fairview etc.. (Thanks LFC in exile)

4...Organising a Supporters' trust. Say €5 per week direct debited by 100 people equals €500 a week, €2,000 per month and €24,000 per annum...There is no work involved and everybody wins as Club still gets revenue from Gates and programmes.

5...Holding a Benefit night at the dogs or Dance/Race night.

We bandied these around for a while and some were taken positively(Tickets etc) others not so (Fairview game ). The old Homestead was mentioned and they all seemed surprised that it was for sale and they are now checking it out. No asset means it will be harder to get an investor on board so it looks like we need to get some sort of asset, maybe an old dog track. Deise what did I forget to mention ??

Sorry I cant be around on Sat but Will be off on Monday to do whatever is needed

:ball:

gspain
27/06/2003, 8:35 AM
Won't be at the Sligo game but will be in Bray an dhopefully at the Cobh match.

Our best bet is still a group of businessmen or moneyman to come in.

Anybody got access to JP McManus - Denis Cuddihy of Skye Records or the mystery new local consortium.

We have a huge catchment area with no competing sides and with no debt should still be an attractive proposition. While I don't think anyone can make money out of LoI football (apart from Louis Kilcoyne) there are other rewards.

LFC in Exile
27/06/2003, 9:19 AM
Originally posted by JohnD
1...Selling Tickets and Poster Campaign..immediate effect. We feel that the tickets should be sold at a reduced rate to entice people to go.

2...Opening up the Club to membership €100 per year and holding AGMs, electing a Board etc..

3...Holding a battle of Limerick Game v Fairview etc.

4...Organising a Supporters' trust.

5...Holding a Benefit night at the dogs or Dance/Race night.

We bandied these around for a while
:ball:

Good work lads.

But are any of these actually going ahead. Obviously posters on Saturday and tickets. Numbers 2, 4 and 5? If you need a hand John and Dave just give a shout.

deise deserter
27/06/2003, 10:30 AM
While the general assembly at the meeting were reasonably positive the reall nitty gritty wasn't really addressed by anyone except for Derek White. Membership was something that came up against a brick wall. Myself and John aimed at getting 150 people to join at 100Euro a head, raising 15,000Euro at the start of every season. The notions of AGMs and voting a committee into place were not well recieved at all in return for a person's investment of 100Euro. The best we got was that it would be put on the long finger for some time in the distant future.

James
27/06/2003, 10:33 AM
if the match v Fairview (battle of limerick) wasnt viewed to well
why not someone from limerick approach cork city

i'm sure that would get a good crowd as a once off friendly
some of my earliest memories supporting city are of limerick v city matches :), and cause we used always win, used be a good rivalry too

pete
27/06/2003, 10:47 AM
Why are youse in financial trouble?

Who actually owns Limerick FC?

lims fan
27/06/2003, 12:01 PM
The poster camapign is a great idea and should be effective.
However the only way for the club to progress is to get a steady income i.e the direct debit idea (ie 100 people giving €5 a week) or 200 people giving €5 pw
But a big fundraiser like a club draw akin to the much maligned one years back is NECESSARY.
Can we organise this soon? Also another idea would be to hold a 24 hour soccer marathon playing 5 minute games in every league ground could bring in 30,000 - 40,000. I know galway did this very successfully.
I am up for this if we can begin to organise.
well done on the poster campaign - hope the posters can be glitzy to let people know that we can have premier football in the city of limerick and european football in the near future as well.
If a welsh village (TNS) can do it then we can.
I will be down on Tuesday as well for the game and I suggest we all get serious singing going as well and try and turn limerick games into occasions not a 90 minute ordeal.

LFC in Exile
27/06/2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by pete
Who actually owns Limerick FC?

You've hit the nail on the head. It is called Limerick Football "Club" but it doesn't seem to have any members. At least nobody knows how to join. There is a management committee which runs the show. This is going to be a big problem for any fundraising activities and it is very short-termist of the committee not to open up membership. Not because any money raised may be misappropriated but rather that there is no onus on the recipients of the money to account for it. This is why teh supporters club, which must be open in relation to membership and fully transparent and accountable.

Deel Man
01/07/2003, 12:42 AM
If a welsh village (TNS) can do it then we can.

Ok TNS the team is from the village of Llansantfraid (Pop 600) the big difference is TNS the company have turned this village team into a full time proffesional outfit with most players ex nationwide, at their own expense, their average crowds are just 271 but are now building a new 3,000 seater stadium in the town of Oswestry where the company has its factory, it looks like to me this was always their intension and only using Llansantfraid as a means of playing European soccer in an english town (Oswestry) now that both teams have merged. Without TNS pumping in countless thousands of £'s the village team of Llansantfraid would never be where they are now

Would you really turn out in Limerick to watch a team called Tesco FC, or Dell FC? if either promised the same set up as the TNS have done for Llansantfraid.

http://limerickfc.tk (http://)

parnell ranger
01/07/2003, 7:59 AM
hope ye dont mind me throwin in my thruppence worth.
i'd say there are approx 10,000 schoolkids in the greater Limerick area.
have that amount of sponsorship cards printed and with school boards permission distribute them to every kid .
if even half the kids bring back 50 quid thats a quarter of a million euro.
reward the kids and schools well.
its a huge undertaking but a financial goldmine.
we do the same thing at our schoolboy club on a smaller scale and it runs our club for the year.
hope everything turns out well for ye.

cheers

LFC in Exile
01/07/2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by parnell ranger
hope ye dont mind me throwin in my thruppence worth.

All ideas greatly welcomed.

The thing that is exercising me now though is that there is no end of good ideas to raise money and some of them can be long term money generating ideas such as this idea from parnell ranger or supporters trust etc. The thing is though that the supporters club seem to be bringing these ideas to the board. I wonder what the board are actually doing? Can someone on the ground there enlighten me as to what they are up to? Are they hoping for somethign to happen - are they contacting potential investors - are they even implementing any new short-term fund raising plans?

Without the board being very active here the situation won't change. If I am wrong then great, maybe this might come out at tonights game. :ball:

JohnD
01/07/2003, 10:15 AM
We have brought several ideas to the board but it seems none are being taken on board. We, The Supporters' club, have postered the town, sold tickets, put together programme inserts, stapled 200 progs together etc..because we care about the club.

I think the Committee are waiting for a Sugar Daddy to come in..some chance!!.

deise deserter
01/07/2003, 11:20 AM
... and our problem with that John is that no-one with any business sense wouldn't touch a group who haven't any level of transparency, have no asset to their names and are extremely slow to move in any forward direction.

Without a proper constitution, no members, no published accounts, no transparency to the public, no way to remove ineffectual idiots at committee level who would be stupid enough to give them money?

JohnD
01/07/2003, 11:26 AM
How about nobody !!!:p

deise deserter
01/07/2003, 11:35 AM
...Hee hee!!!

Stuck doing a computer course where I am now learning to point and click!!

Maybe the club committee should go back to basics just like me!!

P.S. I can collect the "you know what" from "you know where" for the match, cause I'm finished at 2.