PDA

View Full Version : Owen Garvan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Stuttgart88
15/02/2008, 9:04 PM
Did you see the U21 game at St. Mary's? I expect you didn't given the question.

He's a teenager playing an instrumental role in one of the few good footballing sides in the Championship. He has a sweet left foot, a good range of passing, good awareness, a sense of confidence and, crucially and unusually for us, he's actually tall and athletic not like the usual shortarse we tend to produce.

Anyone can see that we have the bones of a good team but are woefully lacking in central midfield. Ypu say we don't have a shortage of midfielders? I'd say we have the worst midfield available to us in the 30+ years I've been watching the BIG, though I think the Reids are fine players if fit (rarely).

Garvan appears to be a very good central midfielder in the making. Not the classic British type central midfielder but the type that is present in all successful international teams.

We've also been dreadful from set pieces in the last few years and he delivers a very good dead ball.

That's why I'm excited by this guy.

Of the names you mention:

Carsley and Garvan are chalk and cheese. Gravan can pass a ball for one thing.

Steven Reid and Stephen Ireland aren't really comparable either. In a way, Garvan is somewhere between Reid and Ireland. He's tall and rangy but also clever with the ball.

He's already done more at the same level than the older Gibson.

Physically he has a lot more to offer than Miller.

The (London) Independent says he's easily in the best players outside the Premiership.

Anyone else got an opinion?

kennedmc
15/02/2008, 9:18 PM
Why did Stan ignore him then?

If there's one thing Stan was good at it was sounding out youth players of any sort of half decent ability.

What youth players did Stan 'sound out'?

Stuttgart88
15/02/2008, 9:23 PM
For a start, Garvan missed almost all of last season, post-viral syndrome allegedly.

It wasn't just Stan. McCaffrey criminally overlooked him for the crucial U19 qualifiers against Germany and Bulgaria and Givens only selected him for the U21s once it became totally obvious he couldn't be overlooked.

Why was the most acclaimed Irish young player overlooked at every level for 2 or 3 years since schoolboys or U16?

Majik
15/02/2008, 9:53 PM
He's no way as injury prone as Andy Reid, OG had a dose of the aul pringles last year (...shingles), ability wise, I'd put him ahead of Miller and Gibson, deserves a call up for the Serbia game or the Norway game later in the year...

kennedmc
15/02/2008, 9:54 PM
So he's a poor man's Andy Reid who's fit even less of the time? >_>

I bet Gravan slept with your girlfriend - or even worse your mother? ;)

Stuttgart88
15/02/2008, 9:56 PM
Garvan has never had any issues with fitness other than a debilitating long term illness which he has recovered from and has got his career back fully on track. This hardly makes him injury prone.

Andy Reid is a gifted footballer with a long track record of minor injuries and is far from the personification of athleticism. Hence, he's injury prone.

Garvan a poor man's Andy Reid? I'd imagine that Garvan has more ahead of him than Reid did at the same age due to his naturally lean physique and athletic constitution. Each has a cultured left foot. Garvan is 6 years younger.

When did I say he was a poor man's Andy Reid? Here's what I actually said:

He's a teenager playing an instrumental role in one of the few good footballing sides in the Championship. He has a sweet left foot, a good range of passing, good awareness, a sense of confidence and, crucially and unusually for us, he's actually tall and athletic not like the usual shortarse we tend to produce.

Garvan appears to be a very good central midfielder in the making. Not the classic British type central midfielder but the type that is present in all successful international teams.

We've also been dreadful from set pieces in the last few years and he delivers a very good dead ball.

Credit to Jim Magilton, himself an elegant midfielder, for the way he has Ipswich playing. I think he's a very good manager in the making.

eirebhoy
15/02/2008, 10:41 PM
So he's a poor man's Andy Reid who's fit even less of the time? >_>
I know your internet character too well now Ciaran. You seem like an intelligent lad so no need for the wind up posts, trolling, etc. I'm just waiting to find out now that >_> is a signal for sarcaasm.;)

Anyway, Garvan is probably our brightest prospect.

cheifo
15/02/2008, 11:01 PM
By far the most exciting prospect we have produced in recent years.How he has stayed under the radar up to now must have something to do with his illness last year.Even if Ipswich(hope they do,lovely club-good manager) dont go up ,he will.Hope he chooses the right club.Hard to believe he has only just turned 20.His performance aginst Englands finest even has the sky commentators cooing with delight at times.BTW Ciaran you will generally find we are the first outlet to recognise our best young talent.Even quicker than the Ireland coaching staff in this instance.

Blue Man
16/02/2008, 12:34 AM
Ipswich allegedly rejected a 2.5 million bid from West Ham last year so this obviously shows the boys talent as West Ham seem to produce high quality players.Yes he had a bad illness, but if you watch Championship football and seen him against England recently, I think everyone will agree he's got huge potential.A future star IMHO

tetsujin1979
16/02/2008, 12:43 AM
Everton were interested in him before he got sick last season IIRC

Wangball
16/02/2008, 8:38 AM
Garvan has looked really classy any time I've seen him, We've been down on our midfield for quite sometime but if you consider that come 2012 & the next Euro's our midfield could potentlially be

McGeady -- Garvan -- O'Toole -- Ireland

Thats quare exciting

Wangball
16/02/2008, 8:41 AM

If there's one thing Stan was good at it was sounding out youth players of any sort of half decent ability.

That statement can be disproved by 2 words....Joe Lapira

The only reason there were so many young players in the squad for the US tour was because none of the senior plaers fancied it....I really don't think that was by choice or design

bogwarrior
16/02/2008, 10:16 AM
Not to keen on O'Toole myself but in the u21 game versus england Garvan and Keogh made huddlestone and Noble look very ordinary. Those boys were unlucky to be on the losing side. If we had some people to finish and a bit more pace we would of given them a real fright.

Garvan is possibly one of our best prospects in years. As stuttgart sed he's tall strong and can mix it too. Unbelievable passing. 'Poor mans Andy Reid'?? With a bit of luck he could be the rich man's Andy reid. Not knocking Andy either, see his pass last weekend for Murphy's goal?! Very nice.

The Furure's bright... the future's green:D

shakermaker1982
16/02/2008, 11:17 AM
Garvan's has the potential to be a class act and he seems to have everything in his locker. I really hope he turns out to be the heartbeat of our team in a few seasons time, thats how highly I rate him. Just because Lineker/Hansen/Andy Gray etc don't know who he is doesn't mean he isn't an exciting prospect.

Kingdom
16/02/2008, 12:09 PM

aha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

I didn't realise the laughter lounge was streamed live on Foot on a Friday night.

Good one.

dr_peepee
16/02/2008, 2:40 PM
You'd struggle to find a player at the same age with the amount of games played at the level (Even given the time off he had with the injury).. I'm glad he's been somewhat below the radar of the media for know. He'll be better for it in the long run.

Big hopes for him and Chris McCann of Burnley.

NeilMcD
16/02/2008, 3:57 PM
He is only 19 for feck sake.

GavinZac
16/02/2008, 4:05 PM
Ciaran, players are picked on the basis of their ability and their suitability for the team, not based on their club's league position.

Stuttgart88
16/02/2008, 4:10 PM
Ciaran, in another thread about 100 people have put forward our an senior XI. I don't think anyone has put Garvan in it.

Get some perspective man. We're saying that a 19 year old with such potential - based on what people say about him and based on what we've seen so far - is exciting if you're an Irish fan. We're not saying he's achieved anything.

As a 19 year old he's more than likely best suited to the U21s. However, given such a lack of talented athletic midfielders (athleticism being a massive factor in today's game, way more than it used to be) Garvan's time for the senior team / squad may be sooner rather than later.

If you were happy with our central midfield in any game in the last 2 years then you're far more positive than I am.

ramsfan
16/02/2008, 4:12 PM
people forget probably the most consistent irish midfielder this season glenn whelan, good solid player who deserves his chance

tetsujin1979
16/02/2008, 4:15 PM
When was the last time a championship player played any kind of key role for Ireland? (exclude Reid, he's a premiership player taking a 6 month championship break :D)
Kavanagh, Cunningham, Holland and Kinsella all played regularly for Ireland when they were in the Championship
Finnan and Stephen Reid both made their debuts when were there.

I'm stating that he shouldn't even be considered for the international team.
We're desperately short of central midfielders getting regular football in the Premiership. There's Lee Carsley, Andy Reid, Stephen Reid, Liam Miller, Joey O'Brien (maybe), Stephen Ireland. Given that the two Reids are prone to injury, O'Brien is played more often in defence, Stephen Ireland can't tackle for nuts, and Miller's form varies dramatically we're in no position to rule out a player like Garvan.

Stuttgart88
16/02/2008, 4:34 PM
Very well put Tets.

Paddy Garcia
16/02/2008, 6:57 PM
Point is there's enough top league players about. Some special exception would be players who have top league experience, namely Paddy Kenny and Morrison. So I'm not arguing that Garvan isn't good enough for the Irish team. The level he's playing at confirms that for me, I'm stating that he shouldn't even be considered for the international team.

I think Keane made his debut when playing at Championship level. And was excellent from what I recall.

drummerboy
17/02/2008, 8:27 AM
You'd struggle to find a player at the same age with the amount of games played at the level (Even given the time off he had with the injury).. I'm glad he's been somewhat below the radar of the media for know. He'll be better for it in the long run.

Big hopes for him and Chris McCann of Burnley.

Interestingly both McCann and Garvan played on the same Home Farm team along with Darren O’Dea.

I've been watching Garvan for a while now, and he really excites me. I know West Ham are very interested in him.

Bungle
17/02/2008, 10:57 AM
Firstly, Garvan is considered one of the best players outside of the premiership. As young players go, he is arguably the best player outside the premiership. He is an excellent all round player (possibly lacking a little in pace) but if you saw him against england u21s, you would have thought he was playing for a top premiership club.

If there is alot of people talking about him, then it is obvious why. For the past few years, we have lacked what we always had....a world class central midfielder. If Garvan comes good, then he could solve that void.

He's only 19 nd has been playing regular first team football for over 2 years. I have heard from my Ipswich mates, that if they don't go up, then he will join West Ham this summer. In 4 years, I believe he will be a top premiership player.

However, if I was naming an Irish x1 tomorrow, Garvan would perhaps make the squad but nothing more. I'm sure most of the lads on here would feel the same.

p.s only seen mccann twice but he looks a very good player for his age. i would say he will develop into a premiership class player also. cannot for the life of me understand why these 2 have been ignored by various underage teams.

Stuttgart88
17/02/2008, 4:20 PM
2 games in a row now that Garvan hasn't started. They've bought a Macedonian who actually looks and plays a bit like him and he scored yesterday, well set up by Alan Lee.

eirebhoy
17/02/2008, 7:59 PM
No just off form.

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah Ciaran you are right now because he is off form you are dead right. Take a bow.

tetsujin1979
17/02/2008, 10:45 PM
Form is fleeting, class is permanent.

Dr. Ogba
18/02/2008, 8:57 AM

erm....Alan O'Brien anyone?

mackannovic
18/02/2008, 9:39 AM
The next Stephen McPhail???

youngirish
18/02/2008, 9:41 AM
Garvan is potentially our best central midfield player and I actually would have him in the Irish squad once he is playing regularly for Ipswich (not at the moment then) instead of the likes of Liam Miller who he looked better than in the Championship last season

Wolfie
18/02/2008, 12:57 PM
From Today's Indo:

"GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI will work with the Irish squad for the first time at a week-long training camp in the Algarve prior to the May friendly with Serbia.

The new boss of the national team, along with assistant Marco Tardelli, met up with FAI chief executive John Delaney, president David Blood and honourary secretary Michael Cody in Milan yesterday to agree the logistics of how his reign will get under way.

They agreed that the trip to Portugal was a necessity, in addition to the organisation of an extra game after the Serbian clash and an arrangement that Tardelli will begin his new role on March 1".

Would be interesting to see if the likes of Garvan, Gibson, Whelan would be brought along to this proposed training camp.

Papa Trappa is said pay little reverence to past reputations and some of these younger lads could have a shot at becoming squad players at least.

Kingdom
18/02/2008, 1:48 PM
From Today's Indo:

"GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI will work with the Irish squad for the first time at a week-long training camp in the Algarve prior to the May friendly with Serbia.

The new boss of the national team, along with assistant Marco Tardelli, met up with FAI chief executive John Delaney, president David Blood and honourary secretary Michael Cody in Milan yesterday to agree the logistics of how his reign will get under way.

They agreed that the trip to Portugal was a necessity, in addition to the organisation of an extra game after the Serbian clash and an arrangement that Tardelli will begin his new role on March 1".

Would be interesting to see if the likes of Garvan, Gibson, Whelan would be brought along to this proposed training camp.

Papa Trappa is said pay little reverence to past reputations and some of these younger lads could have a shot at becoming squad players at least.

Yes yes yes yes yes this rocks. So lets see:
Tardelli starts on March 1. Presumably to scout players maybe consult with the ireland/UK based coach.
Trapattoni starts May1 .
Training week in Portugal from 15th -22nd May
Friendly against Serbia 24th May
He wants one more friendly in the next week I'd imagine.

Going about things the right way for starters.

tetsujin1979
18/02/2008, 2:13 PM
Yes yes yes yes yes this rocks. So lets see:
Tardelli starts on March 1. Presumably to scout players maybe consult with the ireland/UK based coach.
Trapattoni starts May1 .
Training week in Portugal from 15th -22nd May
Friendly against Serbia 24th May
He wants one more friendly in the next week I'd imagine.

Going about things the right way for starters.A Unity Cup/Nike Cup/US Cup/Tetsujin Cup wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at that time.

Kingdom
18/02/2008, 2:17 PM
A Unity Cup/Nike Cup/US Cup/Tetsujin Cup wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at that time.

It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. And I don't really care whether its against good teams brutal teams whatever. If he was to have 4 games under his belt going into the quals it would be ideal.

Stuttgart88
18/02/2008, 5:27 PM
Everyone's raving about the Macedonian who has just taken Garvan's place, and the partnership he has formed with Miller in Ipswich's midfield. It looks like the spot is his to lose now so Garvan may be on the bench for a while.

paul_oshea
18/02/2008, 6:02 PM
hmmm so was the horn for garvan a bit premature....

i mean why cant he displace miller if he were that good? maybe keane will buy him for sunderland!

Drumcondra 69er
18/02/2008, 7:10 PM
hmmm so was the horn for garvan a bit premature....

i mean why cant he displace miller if he were that good? maybe keane will buy him for sunderland!

The lads only 19 ffs, he'll be back in that side soon enough, top quality prospect.

He has it in his blood, his Da played for Shels in the 70's and his Uncle is Mick Martin which obviously means that his Grandad is the legend Con Martin. He's the real deal and has a very successful career ahead of him, I fully expect him to win many caps over the next few years....

boovidge
18/02/2008, 8:15 PM
the future midfield is a mouth watering prospect if all the young lads fulfill their potential!

mackannovic
19/02/2008, 10:06 AM
I've been watching Garvan for a while now, and he really excites me.

You sick b@stard!

shakermaker1982
19/02/2008, 11:01 AM
You sick b@stard!

haha :D

itfcgarvan
19/02/2008, 4:37 PM
Hi, I'm an ITFC fan and has been interesting reading your opinions of him! Everything that Stuttgart has said about him is correct, fantastic player who will play in the Premiership one day, hopefully as an ITFC player as I would be gutted to see him leave!

As for him being 'dropped', I think its more a fact that he deserves and needs a bit of a rest, as he has had to take on a lot of responsabilty over the last couple of years, too much for someone of his age! Now we have other players who can share it and Garvan WILL become an even better player for it! The future looks good for him!

Buller
19/02/2008, 4:56 PM
You sick b@stard!

ahahaha!! Post of the Month right there...

boovidge
19/02/2008, 7:18 PM
Hi, I'm an ITFC fan and has been interesting reading your opinions of him! Everything that Stuttgart has said about him is correct, fantastic player who will play in the Premiership one day, hopefully as an ITFC player as I would be gutted to see him leave!

As for him being 'dropped', I think its more a fact that he deserves and needs a bit of a rest, as he has had to take on a lot of responsabilty over the last couple of years, too much for someone of his age! Now we have other players who can share it and Garvan WILL become an even better player for it! The future looks good for him!

Hi Owen!

Stuttgart88
19/02/2008, 7:57 PM
thanks itfcgarvan. your cheque is in the post!

cudsy1
20/02/2008, 10:19 AM
the future midfield is a mouth watering prospect if all the young lads fulfill their potential!

the future is constantly mouthwatering if....IF!!!!!

dr_peepee
20/02/2008, 10:52 AM
the future is constantly mouthwatering if....IF!!!!!

Deep Man... Real Profound... You should write a song for Radiohead.

youngirish
20/02/2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Owen!

I often wonder if there are any Irish Internationals (Youth or Otherwise) who regularly post on these forums. Eirebhoy are you Aiden McGeady by any chance?

Worm are you David Connolly?

Is that guy from Cobh (can't remember his alias but you know the one who sounds like he wants to bum Stephen Ireland) really Captain Kryptonite himself?

ifk101
20/02/2008, 11:57 AM
I often wonder if there are any Irish Internationals (Youth or Otherwise) who regularly post on these forums. Eirebhoy are you Aiden McGeady by any chance?

Aiden McGeady posts under the alias "BigmanCas". ;)