PDA

View Full Version : I predict the showgrounds will be put up for sale

Pages : [1] 2

avvenalaf
15/02/2008, 1:01 PM
Having seen the accounts produced for the AGM and the budget produced for the coming season, I predict that, by the end of this coming season, there will be moves afoot to sell the Showgrounds.
No shots fired at the messenger, please.

life long red
15/02/2008, 1:11 PM
not a hope in hell

noby
15/02/2008, 1:13 PM
It's your prediction, so you're not 'the messenger'. Plus the thread title is misleading.

Schumi
15/02/2008, 1:33 PM
Sligo Rovers don't even own the Showgrounds do they? Isn't it owned by some kind of trust and can't be sold.

HarpoJoyce
15/02/2008, 1:33 PM
Is there a breach in confidentiality here? Either professional or via the licencing process.

With relief its about the Sligo Showgrounds. I thought it may have been the RDS, or worse Ballymena.

Rory H
15/02/2008, 1:38 PM
The Showgrounds can never be sold and will always be used for football in Sligo, whether it be for Rovers or whoever else.

life long red
15/02/2008, 1:44 PM
Having seen the accounts produced for the AGM and the budget produced for the coming season, I predict that, by the end of this coming season, there will be moves afoot to sell the Showgrounds.
No shots fired at the messenger, please.
go back on your medication

Rovers fan
15/02/2008, 2:07 PM
that thread title should be changed, it gave me a fright! Awfully misleading.

dublinred
15/02/2008, 2:09 PM
that thread title should be changed, it gave me a fright! Awfully misleading.

Agree , something like "Avenalaff has a pint at lunchtime " would be more appropiate.

sligoman
15/02/2008, 2:22 PM
All you've to do is look at who started the thread and then you'd know it's obviously not true.

red_away
15/02/2008, 2:41 PM
Age has finally caught up with you ...senility!!!!

Good topic to a response though...works everytime!

showgies
15/02/2008, 3:30 PM
This time I don't think Avvenalaf is having a laugh.

This is a sensitive issue, but certainly it is inevitable that, with the cost of running a full time club and the lack of any big investors interested in the club, the options/suggestions of selling / leasing part of the showgrounds will arise soon.

sligoman
15/02/2008, 4:04 PM
If RG wasn't shooting down every idea that comes in then we wouldn't even need to consider this. A car park at the Showgrounds is the minimum the club should be doing to bring money in.

avvenalaf
15/02/2008, 10:50 PM
Showgies, it's nice to know that at least one other lives in the real world. Has nobody learned anything from Shelbourne and Longford?

clubman
15/02/2008, 11:30 PM
Showgies, it's nice to know that at least one other lives in the real world. Has nobody learned anything from Shelbourne and Longford?

Shelbourne and Longford have.
Sligo Rovers are but tenents in the Showgrounds, non paying tenents at that!
If Sligo Rovers as a business runs into difficulty as will happen this year they will just go out of business no questions asked. The Showgrounds will remain in tack. It was for that very reason why the Showgrounds was put in Trust back in the mid-eighties. The foresight of one Mr Ray Gallagher will ensure the grounds will never be lost to the greed of the bankers or moneysucking 'businessmen' for this the man must be applauded.
Should Rovers fall on their sword it will only be the blame of the community that didn't come out to support the club.
The Showgrounds is not for sale nor never will.

Rovers fan
15/02/2008, 11:36 PM
Shelbourne and Longford have.
Sligo Rovers are but tenents in the Showgrounds, non paying tenents at that!
If Sligo Rovers as a business runs into difficulty as will happen this year they will just go out of business no questions asked. The Showgrounds will remain in tack. It was for that very reason why the Showgrounds was put in Trust back in the mid-eighties. The foresight of one Mr Ray Gallagher will ensure the grounds will never be lost to the greed of the bankers or moneysucking 'businessmen' for this the man must be applauded.
Should Rovers fall on their sword it will only be the blame of the community that didn't come out to support the club.
The Showgrounds is not for sale nor never will.

Is that right ray?

Guts&Glory
16/02/2008, 7:48 AM
Close the thread, nonsense from start to finish.

Shiba
16/02/2008, 9:41 AM
If RG wasn't shooting down every idea that comes in then we wouldn't even need to consider this. A car park at the Showgrounds is the minimum the club should be doing to bring money in.

The club has baan approached by a company willing to lease some of the grounds to devolope it as a carpark but the trustees have rejected it.To me would be a good idea to do and wil help with the image of the area round astraturf pitch as it looks terrible at the moment.

Only1Rovers
16/02/2008, 1:45 PM
The club has baan approached by a company willing to lease some of the grounds to devolope it as a carpark but the trustees have rejected it.To me would be a good idea to do and wil help with the image of the area round astraturf pitch as it looks terrible at the moment.

The club are right not to lease any part of the showgies out as a car park.

They should do it themselfs, how hard can it be to manage a car park. It would look after itself.

forza rovers
16/02/2008, 2:24 PM
stupid thread the showgrounds will never be for sale

avvenalaf
16/02/2008, 2:42 PM
Well then, senior football will cease to be played in it. Look, I know more about the legal status of the Showgrounds that all you guys put together and I know enough to not use the word NEVER. The main point I'm making is that Sligo Rovers FC cannot survive the upcoming season on the basis of the accounts and budgets presented last week. If this was a normal commercial business the directors would be caharged with reckless trading. Naturally, hope I'm wrong but speaking as one who has lived throught many, many crises at the club - this is the worst yet.

red bellied
16/02/2008, 4:28 PM
Well then, senior football will cease to be played in it. Look, I know more about the legal status of the Showgrounds that all you guys put together and I know enough to not use the word NEVER. The main point I'm making is that Sligo Rovers FC cannot survive the upcoming season on the basis of the accounts and budgets presented last week. If this was a normal commercial business the directors would be caharged with reckless trading. Naturally, hope I'm wrong but speaking as one who has lived throught many, many crises at the club - this is the worst yet.

Selling the Showgrounds isnt going to solve the problem. Relocating to some country bog will force supporters away and just delay the same thing happening again. I agree that the way things are going Rovers will find it very hard to survive especially if they have a bad season on the pitch again this season. The bottom line is, there is not enough people coming through the gate reflecting on does Sligo want a senior LOI side.

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 5:16 PM
The bottom line is, there is not enough people coming through the gate reflecting on does Sligo want a senior LOI side.

well there were only 7 clubs in ireland who got higher attendances than us last season so are you trying to say that there's only 7 clubs who want a senior LOI side?

showgies
16/02/2008, 5:19 PM
Didn't the Borough Council help with the new wall? Couldn't they do the same with the car park, since the town is crying out for car park spaces. What about the all that free space behind the railway end...............a perfect spot for appartments.

Avvenalaf isn't saying that it should be done, but I bet the thoughts of selling part of the showgies has crossed the minds of a few within SRFC.

Dodge
16/02/2008, 5:22 PM
thread title changed.

sligoman
16/02/2008, 5:24 PM
Didn't the Borough Council help with the new wall? Couldn't they do the same with the car park.That's because it was in their own interest. They wanted to extend the pathway and get rid of the wall so it was up to them to build a new one. They have no reason to help the club out at the moment I'd say.

red bellied
16/02/2008, 5:55 PM
well there were only 7 clubs in ireland who got higher attendances than us last season so are you trying to say that there's only 7 clubs who want a senior LOI side?

Alot of those clubs are been financed by business interests and developers, not going to last forever. I am talking about the general population of Sligo, lapsed supporters or people who have lost interest. Even when the team is doing well the crowds arent much more than two thousand.

The budget has gone up. Players now been paid out of season and the prospect of three teams in the Showgrounds will be a major headache this season. Plus the tax bill from last season arent good omens. A very good season is needed on the pitch for next season.

red arrow
16/02/2008, 6:35 PM
i would say definately that this time round we are in deep trouble financially. it was due to a number of things and the accounts tell most of the story but not all of it. however priority now is to ensure that the team actually get to play the first game . wages are being paid from this week so if we hazard a guess of 16k that means we have 4 weeks to pay out before the first home game. we also have the other problems which most of you know about and i wont mention here because of prying eyes. so looking at the mess right now the only thing we as supporters can do is to promote the sale of lotto tickets including the e 1000 ticket. also a couple of great supporters have being doing trozan work selling the "lotto plus ticket at e100.00 . they have given great help to frank byrne and at the agm the other night a lad took 100 tickets and got 10 guys in the room to take 10 each (including myself) this will bring in k10 quickly. the "lotto plus card" is great value as the person gets two chances to win the jackpot and are in the draw for 52 weeks. i believe that if 20 more people were to do the same thing , take 10 cards each (you can sell to family and friends) this would bring in more revenue quickly. i also believe that the biggest problem rovers have is to get people to help out. the once of hit of a e100 most people can afford and there is still a lot of good will out there for rovers. going back to the wages due for the next few weeks i would say that the "tesas hold em "has a huge part to play here because god knows where the money is going to come from but with a bit of luck and proper promotion this can be a great success. also hughie needs all the help he can get.if we can get to the start of the season and get maybe 6 points from our 1st 3 games there would be a bit of momentum building and with proper marketing the crowds will increase. also if for instance "boco" turns out to be a goal scorer and wins the hearts of the fans people will flock to see him. i have great belief in paul cook as a manager/ coach i can see the type of team he is trying to build and i think we can surprise a lot of people if we can stay away from injuries. i believe we will have a team who are going to move the ball at pace and if the front players can gel we can be a handfull for anybody. but if there is anybody out there will ing to help to sell the "lotto plus card" we need you immediately and contact frank. ten tickets at e100 may seem a lot but if you write down names of people youknow on a list this makes it easier and you would be surprised how receptive people are because the strength in the selling point is the fact that a perso is entered in each draw for 12 months (current fund approx 9500) this will be won at some stage and when it is the value goes back to k2. the e100 represents excellent value. please give us a hand a little help can go a long way to save the club.

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 7:53 PM
lotto stuff

While you mean well, Rovers need to look outside the lotto for revenue. It won't be the end of our financial problems even if we sell one thousand tickets.

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 7:58 PM
While you mean well, Rovers need to look outside the lotto for revenue. It won't be the end of our financial problems even if we sell one thousand tickets.

yes but at the moment we actually DO need a short term solution as we have no money to pay wages and the club has serious financial problems. Obviously we need long term solution but at the moment we also need a short term one

showgies
16/02/2008, 8:24 PM
That's because it was in their own interest. They wanted to extend the pathway and get rid of the wall so it was up to them to build a new one. They have no reason to help the club out at the moment I'd say.

After failing to get the Fair Green as a car park, surely they are looking for an alternative. A little bit of tarmac and a few railings isn't going to take a large chunk out of their Roads budget. All they would have to provide is a section allocated (free of charge) to the users of the astro pitch.

Knappagh Red
16/02/2008, 8:29 PM
yes but at the moment we actually DO need a short term solution as we have no money to pay wages and the club has serious financial problems. Obviously we need long term solution but at the moment we also need a short term one

Short-term solution sell Faz 40,000

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 9:37 PM
Short Term Solution - Free Season Tickets to all children

My brother was charged 105 quid for a season ticket. Shocking Stuff

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 9:54 PM

Stupid post, clearly you don't have a clue

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 10:00 PM
Stupid post, clearly you don't have a clue

Please explain and back it up.

If kids were give free season tickets on the condition that a paying adult had to accompany them to games,

A)They'll buy stuff in the shop like Sweets etc.
B)You get a paying adult in who has hopefully been nagged to death by a child
C)They'll be hooked on the Rovers hopefully in 10 years time, paying full price season tickets and contributing to the club out of love and passion.
D)They help fill up the ground immensely. It is way better than playing in the morgue that the Showgrounds can be.
E)Merchandise sales would increase as kids would want the jersey to wear to the games and be a part of Rovers.

The current situation is farcical at best.

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 10:24 PM
Please explain and back it up.

If kids were give free season tickets on the condition that a paying adult had to accompany them to games,

A)They'll buy stuff in the shop like Sweets etc.
B)You get a paying adult in who has hopefully been nagged to death by a child
C)They'll be hooked on the Rovers hopefully in 10 years time, paying full price season tickets and contributing to the club out of love and passion.
D)They help fill up the ground immensely. It is way better than playing in the morgue that the Showgrounds can be.
E)Merchandise sales would increase as kids would want the jersey to wear to the games and be a part of Rovers.

The current situation is farcical at best.

A) Yes thats really going to bring in huge funds, 2 stingers=40c ching ching
B) A few will, most will probably go to games anyway. If you think thats really going to cover the cost of the 300(guess)x£5 we will be losing every game its not.
C)The smallest minority who probably would have gotten hooked anyway, a £8 charge wouldn't have stopped them.
D) I wouldn't call it a morgue, most other fans say we create a fairly good atmosphere. 10 year old kids will hardly add much to the atmosphere.
E) If they weren't going to pay £8 for a ticket why would they buy a jersey?

Galway fans on a different thread complained about the fact that children got in for free last season and were happy the situation has changed.

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 10:40 PM
B) A few will, most will probably go to games anyway. If you think thats really going to cover the cost of the 300(guess)x£5 we will be losing every game its not.
C)The smallest minority who probably would have gotten hooked anyway, a £8 charge wouldn't have stopped them.
D) I wouldn't call it a morgue, most other fans say we create a fairly good atmosphere. 10 year old kids will hardly add much to the atmosphere.

Galway fans on a different thread complained about the fact that children got in for free last season and were happy the situation has changed.

Yeah, all kids like to spend just 40 cent in the shop. Average it out at €2
a piece per person in the shop.(Coke + Sweets)

Yeah, agreed to a point but how many children in the Showgrounds are accompanied? Very few. The loss in child tickets would be made up by the gain in adults tickets. The introduction of a family ticket would also be a possibility.

The smallest minority got hooked on the Rovers because the smallest minority went to the games in the first place. Increase the amount of people going and therefore, you increase the amount of 10 year olds to get addicted.

Sorry, how was the Bray atmosphere again?

As once they are in the ground and have been going to the games for lets say three months, they'll start to look up to Peersy and co. They'll want to wear the same jersey as their favourite players wear. They'll want to identify themselves with Rovers, not only when they are in the Showgies, but outside it as well.

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 10:48 PM
look most kids these days milk the mone from their parents. They aren't going to be afraid to ask their parents for £8(is it 5 or 8?) each week and their parents aren't going to deprive them of this. You won't get a big enough increase in adults(a lot of adults go on on a saturday and if they weren't going before they aren't going to want to go now to babysit their children at a game they probably aren't interested in). Its not going to increase the money coming into the club this year and this year we badly need money. This is my last post in yet another disagreement with you because we clearly aren't going to agree. The fact that your giving out about your brother paying £105 to our club says it all.

redtildead
16/02/2008, 10:53 PM

Are you suggesting everyone in the £105 bracket get a free ticket?

Its helping the club we want, not forcing them bankrupt.

Someone who has paid the 105 for the ticket is also likely to buy the sweets programmes and jerseys and still be hooked in 10 years time anyway

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 10:55 PM
The fact that your giving out about your brother paying £105 to our club says it all.

How?

You don't leave open ended criticisms like that without backing them up.

He's payed his money, he's happy. I'm just questioning the logic of pricing other 13 year old kids out of season tickets.

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 10:58 PM
Are you suggesting everyone in the £105 bracket get a free ticket?

I'm not suggesting that at all. What I'm suggesting is that U-15's get free season tickets or for a stupid nominal free like a tenner.

Over 16's, pay student prices.€105

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 10:59 PM
How?

You don't leave open ended criticisms like that without backing them up.

He's payed his money, he's happy. I'm just questioning the logic of pricing other 13 year old kids out of season tickets.

there is actually no point in getting dragged back into this, seriously.

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 10:59 PM
there is actually no point in getting dragged back into this, seriously.

You failed to back up your point. Again.

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 11:01 PM
You failed to back up your point. Again.

pathetic.

feo123
16/02/2008, 11:02 PM
I'm not suggesting that at all. What I'm suggesting is that U-15's get free season tickets or for a stupid nominal free like a tenner.

Over 16's, pay student prices.€105

in fairness i know alot of people between 14+15 that go to the rovers ganes every other week, they paid something last season i dont know what it was, so to suggest that under 15s go free is stupid but i know where your coming from, u12s, yes with a paying adult should probably be free. although realisticaly unless there given the tickets at their school during the week they probably wont turn up because they wont even know its on

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 11:05 PM
in fairness i know alot of people between 14+15 that go to the rovers ganes every other week, they paid something last season i dont know what it was, so to suggest that under 15s go free is stupid but i know where your coming from, u12s, yes with a paying adult should probably be free. although realisticaly unless there given the tickets at their school during the week they probably wont turn up because they wont even know its on

Feo, I picked 15 'cause that's the clubs current cut-off point for kids.

SligoBrewer
16/02/2008, 11:05 PM
pathetic.

How can you label me as being pathetic?
I make a suggestion and back it up, using some logic.

feo123
16/02/2008, 11:08 PM
Feo, I picked 15 'cause that's the clubs current cut-off point for kids.

im not pickin on you like the other lads i was just stating that i think 15 would be too old to go free as theres a steady amount of them that pay in anyway, but as i said i wouldnt have a problem with under 12's going free or something

Rovers fan
16/02/2008, 11:34 PM
How can you label me as being pathetic?
I make a suggestion and back it up, using some logic.

I labelled your post as being pathetic, trying to drag me back into a pointless arguement when i clearly stated i wasn't going to bother wasting my time arguing with you. If you can't understand that than you are also pathetic.I don't feel the need to back myself up against you tbh. goodbye.

redtildead
16/02/2008, 11:35 PM
I labelled your post as being pathetic, trying to drag me back into a pointless arguement when i clearly stated i wasn't going to bother wasting my time arguing with you. If you can't understand that than you are also pathetic.I don't feel the need to back myself up against you tbh. goodbye.
Good riddance