PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Stan

McShels
15/02/2008, 12:12 PM
With the appointment of Trapattoni as our new manager, Tardelli as his assistant and the possibility of Chippy Brady also being involved I think it is now time that we Irish fans thank Stephen Staunton for f*cking up the Irish team in the last couple of years thus forcing the FAI to go out and do something right in appointing Giovanni. :D:D:D

John83
15/02/2008, 12:15 PM
Absolutely. We should go out and get him something. A few hundred grand should do it.

What's that? The FAI did it already? Fantastic. We should give Delaney something for his troubles. How about a long term contract?

What's that? The FAI did it already? I'm going to have to retract everything bad I ever said about them. Perhaps a Shamrock Rovers Easter egg for the board is in order. Who's with me?

OwlsFan
15/02/2008, 12:22 PM
With the appointment of Trapattoni as our new manager, Tardelli as his assistant and the possibility of Chippy Brady also being involved I think it is now time that we Irish fans thank Stephen Staunton for f*cking up the Irish team in the last couple of years thus forcing the FAI to go out and do something right in appointing Giovanni. :D:D:D

I'd prefer to remember his contribution as a footballer, set out below from Wikipedia, instead of jeering him over a job he obviously wasn't up to. Thanks for the memories as a player, Stan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Staunton

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4–0 friendly win over Tunisia. He went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation. Ireland never played football again, instead they prefered to sit on their arses and pretend they were once a decent team. Bobby Charlton famously stated, "Fish have more productive lives than the Irish football team".

He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the United States. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1–1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given. Staunton remains the only footballer to have reached a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland national team.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1–1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3–0 defeat of Northern Ireland on 31 March 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

Drumcondra 69er
15/02/2008, 12:26 PM
I'd prefer to remember his contribution as a footballer, set out below from Wikipedia, instead of jeering him over a job he obviously wasn't up to. Thanks for the memories as a player, Stan.

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4–0 friendly win over Tunisia. He went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation. Ireland never played football again, instead they prefered to sit on their arses and pretend they were once a decent team. Bobby Charlton famously stated, "Fish have more productive lives than the Irish football team".
He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the United States. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1–1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given. Staunton remains the only footballer to have reached a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland national team.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1–1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3–0 defeat of Northern Ireland on 31 March 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.

That bit stood out for me in what was otherwise an entirely serious piece.....:confused::D

back of the net
15/02/2008, 12:33 PM
Absolutely. We should go out and get him something. A few hundred grand should do it.

What's that? The FAI did it already? Fantastic. We should give Delaney something for his troubles. How about a long term contract?

What's that? The FAI did it already? I'm going to have to retract everything bad I ever said about them. Perhaps a Shamrock Rovers Easter egg for the board is in order. Who's with me?

hahaha- brilliant stuff

OwlsFan
15/02/2008, 12:41 PM
That bit stood out for me in what was otherwise an entirely serious piece.....:confused::D

Anyone can add to Wikipedia. I could put in a piece myself if I liked as I am a WIkipedia contributor. In fact it's gone already.

Wolfie
15/02/2008, 12:45 PM

Fair play, OwlsFan. I was as critical of Stan (the Manager) as the next man, but I think its only fitting that he retains the respect he earned as a player.

The blokes received a battering - a lot of it self inflicted, he took the job, he was well compensated, etc etc, I know - but continual sniping at him at this stage is ungracious and cowardly.

I was on the terrace the day he made his debut against Tunisia and I think everyone was impressed with how assured he was for 18 years of age. Even at that early stage many predicted he would be an Ireland player for many years.

citizenerased
15/02/2008, 12:48 PM
No, his respect went when he held us to randsom for 800,000, should have walked away knowing his inability to to the job, neck like a jockeys b*ll*x...no time for the man!

Paulie
15/02/2008, 12:53 PM

Completely agree. I'd like to think that Staunton will be remembered for his time playing for Ireland rather than his time as our manager. The fact that he has been turned into a figure of fun by a lot of people, who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play, is a bit much.

Seano
15/02/2008, 1:06 PM
No, his respect went when he held us to randsom for 800,000, should have walked away knowing his inability to to the job, neck like a jockeys b*ll*x...no time for the man!

Disagree completely, respect for Stan (the player)

Drumcondra 69er
15/02/2008, 1:25 PM
Anyone can add to Wikipedia. I could put in a piece myself if I liked as I am a WIkipedia contributor. In fact it's gone already.

Really??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thought it was true....

jebus
15/02/2008, 1:38 PM

Complete nonsense. He had a 4 year contract that was terminated before the half way mark and so deserved compensation

EDIT: Was just told that Wikipedia once had in their World War 2 profile, 'World War 2 could be described as a storm in a teacup', :D :D

John83
15/02/2008, 1:47 PM
...The fact that he has been turned into a figure of fun by a lot of people, who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play, is a bit much.
A lot of people seem happy to let bygones be bygones with Staunton. That's fine.

Others will remember painful defeats, staunch denial that there was a problem, stupid, bitchy comments about being 'forced out by the media', an insulting attitude towards the fans, a refusal to admit to any error or failing on his behalf and damage done to the profile of the game in this country. This is also fine.

These others are not "cowards", Wolfie, nor are they people "who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play", Paulie. That dismissal is insulting and deeply misguided.

Scram
15/02/2008, 1:51 PM

Hear, Hear, but I already posted this before the game v Wales to the upset of many vindictive fools on here :rolleyes:

Major kudos to those who did not show up for the Cyrus games though holding tickets (me for one!!) and to those who booed as it was this and the subsequent media onslaught that led to the awakening of the FAI....as unfortunate as it was for Stan, a man clearly out of his depth in the position.

jebus
15/02/2008, 1:52 PM
A lot of people seem happy to let bygones be bygones with Staunton. That's fine.

Others will remember painful defeats, staunch denial that there was a problem, stupid, bitchy comments about being 'forced out by the media', an insulting attitude towards the fans, a refusal to admit to any error or failing on his behalf and damage done to the profile of the game in this country. This is also fine.

These others are not "cowards", Wolfie, nor are they people "who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play", Paulie. That dismissal is insulting and deeply misguided.

What with Stan, Paulie and Wolfie's insults you must be feeling like crap right about now :)

John83
15/02/2008, 2:03 PM
What with Stan, Paulie and Wolfie's insults you must be feeling like crap right about now :)
A few weeks back, on another website, someone posed a question about a fundamental result in my area of expertise. He felt that it couldn't possibly be true. I explained it. He still didn't understand, and insulted me. I didn't feel bad. I felt he was an idiot. I was right.

Likewise, if someone calls me a coward, or an idiot, or something less polite for having a different opinion to them on a contentious issue, be it Roy Keane, Steve Staunton, Bertie Ahern, abortion, Europe, education, immigration or any of the thousands of topics that people debate (generally with half the facts - the half that supported their bias before they looked into it), I won't feel bad. I'll feel that they are irrational and impolite; I may even think they're a jerk, but I won't feel bad.

kingdom hoop
15/02/2008, 2:04 PM
I think if I saw Stan walking down the street today I'd be more inclined to punch him than hug him. (disclaimer; wouldn't do either, just used as helpful hypothetical illustration)

One can forgive his ineptitude as a manager, we'll never forget his commitment as a player, but his belligerent attitude whilst manager has left a distinctly sour after-taste. Washing this out with memories of his playing days won't be all that easy.

Calcio Jack
15/02/2008, 2:40 PM

Could you do us a favour and add the following re Stan

.. in Saipan showed early signs of his inability to make sound judgements and his lack of a grasp of reality as he sat with Mick McCarty at the press conference when McCarthy announced that he had sent Roy Keane home.

Staunton by supporting McCarthy demonstrated his unquestionable talent for crass opportunism as he stood firmly behind McCarthy's error and thus was rewarded by McCarthy with a starting berth and captaincy of the Irish team , his only contribution to which was getting caught out by Klose and letting him score against Ireland.

Contiuned to act in a delusional manner whilst the Manager of the ROI team, incidents of note being, bringing in Mick Byrne to act as his cheerleader, stating that "...San Marino will trouble other teams and have a major say in this Group..." and the crowning moments by which his ill fated tenure will be remembered continuing to select Alan O'Brien to play and playing Joey O'Brien in midfield against Cyprus.

Morbo
15/02/2008, 2:47 PM
The Irish job has a habit of turning its ex-managers into bitter people, first Kerr now Stan, Mick should be more bitter than either of them though as I felt his treatment was the least deserved as I thought he was doing a pretty good job, Anyway I don't blame Stan for taking the money I just wish he wouldn't make comments like "we're a little different" which just makes himself look more foolish

jmurphyc
15/02/2008, 2:52 PM
I'm in two minds about Staunton. He had a remarkable playing career with us, but the **** that he was spouting whilst in charge of the team and is still coming out with really makes me cringe. I understand that he's just defending his reputation but he could do it a little more elegantly. Some of the **** that he came out with whilst in charge of the team was just plain insulting to anyone who is a true supporter of the team.

Jerry The Saint
15/02/2008, 3:22 PM
With the appointment of Trapattoni as our new manager, Tardelli as his assistant and the possibility of Chippy Brady also being involved I think it is now time that we Irish fans thank Stephen Staunton for f*cking up the Irish team in the last couple of years thus forcing the FAI to go out and do something right in appointing Giovanni.

It's all about the four-year plan :)

Wolfie
15/02/2008, 3:25 PM
A few weeks back, on another website, someone posed a question about a fundamental result in my area of expertise. He felt that it couldn't possibly be true. I explained it. He still didn't understand, and insulted me. I didn't feel bad. I felt he was an idiot. I was right.

Likewise, if someone calls me a coward, or an idiot, or something less polite for having a different opinion to them on a contentious issue, be it Roy Keane, Steve Staunton, Bertie Ahern, abortion, Europe, education, immigration or any of the thousands of topics that people debate (generally with half the facts - the half that supported their bias before they looked into it), I won't feel bad. I'll feel that they are irrational and impolite; I may even think they're a jerk, but I won't feel bad.

Where did I state "John83 is a coward"?

I've previously stated that I had MAJOR issues with Stauntons tenure and indeed castigated him for it on this very forum. I'm far from whiter than white when its comes to my comments re Staunton.

However, I feel an unrelented and sustained attack on the man at this stage is cowardly.

I'm entitled to that opinion as much as you are to your paranoia.

paul_oshea
15/02/2008, 3:26 PM
I think if I saw Stan walking down the street today I'd be more inclined to punch him than hug him. (disclaimer; wouldn't do either, just used as helpful hypothetical illustration)

One can forgive his ineptitude as a manager, we'll never forget his commitment as a player, but his belligerent attitude whilst manager has left a distinctly sour after-taste. Washing this out with memories of his playing days won't be all that easy.

the memory is a funny thing, but at the end of the day you will always remember the things that happen closer in time to now, if ye know what i mean! so even if staunton was a legend 15 years ago, that will be overshadowed by more current memories....and vice versa :)

John83
15/02/2008, 3:50 PM
Where did I state "John83 is a coward"?
You didn't. You said:

The blokes received a battering - a lot of it self inflicted, he took the job, he was well compensated, etc etc, I know - but continual sniping at him at this stage is ungracious and cowardly.
... which I took as referring to the comments preceding that, mine among them. That's not unreasonable. It's certainly not paranoid.

For the record, I disagree with you, not least on your use of the word cowardly. By all means though, explain how retaining negative feelings towards him at this stage is

lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted
I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Ireland4ever
15/02/2008, 3:59 PM
Complete nonsense. He had a 4 year contract that was terminated before the half way mark and so deserved compensation

EDIT: Was just told that Wikipedia once had in their World War 2 profile, 'World War 2 could be described as a storm in a teacup', :D :D

Agree with citizen here, he should have takin the Keegan option and admit he wasnt up to it - which he clearly wasnt - and walk away. Instead in this greed filled world he took the Steve McClaren option and took money from the grass roots of irish football, the grass roots which provided Stan with a way into the english league and premiership where he would have earned vast wealth for doing a job he loves.

No respect for the man at all!

Paulie
15/02/2008, 4:00 PM

Maybe I should have been clearer. I have no problem with people criticising Staunton if it's done in a reasoned and constructive manner and the person doing it has the best interests of the team at heart. If someone has thought about it, and they just cannot get past Staunton's time as a manager then that is their choice. I personally prefer to remember his 14 or so years playing for us rather than focusing on his two years managing us. What I find though with a lot of people, is that because he is an easy target, that people seem to talk of him as something of a joke. I know it's a generalisation but in my experience the people that do this are people that have no interest in going to see Ireland play. If they weren't slagging him off they would just choose someone else. If someone that goes to the games was doing this, while I still wouldn't agree with it, at least they have invested time, money and emotion into supporting the team. I suppose that there are too many people that are only too prepared to kick a man when he is down.

John83
15/02/2008, 4:28 PM
Maybe I should have been clearer. I have no problem with people criticising Staunton if it's done in a reasoned and constructive manner and the person doing it has the best interests of the team at heart. If someone has thought about it, and they just cannot get past Staunton's time as a manager then that is their choice. I personally prefer to remember his 14 or so years playing for us rather than focusing on his two years managing us. What I find though with a lot of people, is that because he is an easy target, that people seem to talk of him as something of a joke. I know it's a generalisation but in my experience the people that do this are people that have no interest in going to see Ireland play. If they weren't slagging him off they would just choose someone else. If someone that goes to the games was doing this, while I still wouldn't agree with it, at least they have invested time, money and emotion into supporting the team. I suppose that there are too many people that are only too prepared to kick a man when he is down.
Good post.

I don't think it's fair to use the metaphor of kicking a man while he's down in relation to Staunton. For me, the lack of any indication that he regrets anything and the persistent denial that anything was wrong deny him any redemption. They certainly don't suggest that he's 'down'. He'll regain a measure of my sympathy when assesses his tenure realistically. He's still claiming that things were coming right and that he did a lot of good with young players coming through, that he was fired because of media pressure.

As I've said before, the rubbish he spouted after games like Cyprus and San Marino was kicking the fans when they were down.

Kingdom
15/02/2008, 4:30 PM
Good post.

I don't think it's fair to use the metaphor of kicking a man while he's down in relation to Staunton. For me, the lack of any indication that he regrets anything and the persistent denial that anything was wrong deny him any redemption. They certainly don't suggest that he's 'down'. He'll regain a measure of my sympathy when assesses his tenure realistically. He's still claiming that things were coming right and that he did a lot of good with young players coming through, that he was fired because of media pressure.

As I've said before, the rubbish he spouted after games like Cyprus and San Marino was kicking the fans when they were down.

Better post, and one a lot of people would agree with. The media and fans wouldn't have come down on him so hard if his interpersonal skills were even slightly better!

jmurphyc
15/02/2008, 4:36 PM
The one thing that ****ed me off more than anything was the total lack of regard for the fans. We seemed like an afterthought. He never once seemed to think about the pain that his reign was bringing to people who follow the team everywhere and seemed to think that we were a bunch of idiots swayed by the media. He totally failed to realise that the only way of getting his opinions through to the fans was - unfortunately - through the media.

backstothewall
15/02/2008, 9:45 PM
Was just told that Wikipedia once had in their World War 2 profile, 'World War 2 could be described as a storm in a teacup', :D :D

When we all know it was described as "the emergancy"

osarusan
16/02/2008, 1:59 AM

Agree with citizen here, he should have takin the Keegan option and admit he wasnt up to it - which he clearly wasnt - and walk away. Instead in this greed filled world he took the Steve McClaren option and took money from the grass roots of irish football, the grass roots which provided Stan with a way into the english league and premiership where he would have earned vast wealth for doing a job he loves.

No respect for the man at all!

I've said on many occasions that I think he should never have been offered the job (obviously) and that having been offered it, he should have turned it down because he should have been aware that he didn't know enough about management to do the job.

He didn't take the job with the intent of ruining our chances of qualification, and making himself public enemy no. 1. That, unfortunately for everybody, is how it turned out. During the campaign, and since then, he has done himself no favours at all by portraying himself as a victim of fan and media pressure, by showing a lack of willingness to admit any error on his part, and suggesting positives where it was abundantly clear that no positives existed.

Having said that, he was fired by the FAI, however it may have been termed. As such, he was entitled to the remainder of his contract, and he took it.

I can't imagine that anybody here would turn down 800,000 that they're entitled to due to being fired, even if they had performed very poorly at their job.

Guts&Glory
16/02/2008, 8:15 AM
Stans career as player and manager are two different areas obviously and nobosy is mixing the two.

A great loyal player....and in later years a crap manager completly out of his depth.

Hitler was a very intelligent student and religious alter boy before getting older and becoming a amass muderer.....he is still remembered as being a mass murderer though.

Your legacy that you leave behind is everything that a person has done in their lives/career not picking and choosing one over the other.

OwlsFan
16/02/2008, 9:22 AM
I love the way people try and attribute to an international football manager saintly attributes that the rest of us would laugh at.

How many of us when a job of a lifetime comes round in our line of business would say "Sorry, I am not up to it" when you believe you are?

How many of us when asked to leave a job with terms complying with your contract would say "Keep the money and invest it in the company. I might never get another decent job again at 40 years of age but hey, that's the right thing to do!"

How many of us recognise our own faults and never attempt to blame other people for our failings?

Please........

John83
16/02/2008, 12:23 PM
I love the way people try and attribute to an international football manager saintly attributes that the rest of us would laugh at.

How many of us when a job of a lifetime comes round in our line of business would say "Sorry, I am not up to it" when you believe you are?
No one. Why on earth would you say something you don't believe, which is furthermore against your best interests?

Perhaps a better question is whether he believed that. Better still, is why John Delaney, er, eh, sorry, the 3 man FAI committee that John Delaney chaired, no, wait, they only made a recommendation, the 12 man FAI committee that John Delaney chaired believed that. Scratch that, they were only rubber stamping the recommendation of the 3 man committee.

Finally, many people have no problem with Staunton having taken the job. I can recall plenty of people posting that they'd have done the same in his situation, and while I don't hold that opinion, I don't have any great antipathy for Staunton for taking the job.

How many of us when asked to leave a job with terms complying with your contract would say "Keep the money and invest it in the company. I might never get another decent job again at 40 years of age but hey, that's the right thing to do!"First of all, the FAI isn't a company. The purpose of a company is to make money. The purpose of the FAI is to administrate association football in the Republic of Ireland. I could have just replied to your question with the same question, replacing "company" with "charity", but that would be an equally misleading comparison.

Another question though, how many of us are as wealthy as Steve Staunton? I'm not going to suggest that we're demanding he give up that new ivory back-scratcher, but it's still a factor.

If I'm employed to do a job, make a mess of it, hurting the reputation of my employer in the process and am let go, I wouldn't get paid any more money. To save the hassle of proving I'm incompetent, I'd probably get the two week's or so pay and the holiday pay owed to someone being let go. I certainly wouldn't get two year's salary. Not unless I was at least a CEO.

Combining these factors, we've a wealthy man getting money none of us would ever get if fired for poor performance. Gee, maybe we should just stick to considering the FAI as a company.

How many of us recognise our own faults and never attempt to blame other people for our failings?Next to none of us. Only yesterday, I was corrected on the spelling of Trapattoni, and my first reaction was irritation. In my head, I concocted several excuses and counterarguments to justify not having bothered to look up the correct spelling, but ultimately they amounted to trying to justify an error. On another day, I might even have posted that crap. Yesterday, I stepped back a moment and admitted I was wrong. Another example, something of the order of 80% of drivers think they're "above-average" drivers. All of us make errors. All of us lack perspective on ourselves.

Steve Staunton's job was perspective. If a football manager can't see that there's a problem, then he can't fix it. Yet months after being fired, he's still denying that anything was wrong.

I don't think it's that much to ask of him.

Superhoops
16/02/2008, 12:35 PM
....If I'm employed to do a job, make a mess of it, hurting the reputation of my employer in the process and am let go, I wouldn't get paid any more money. To save the hassle of proving I'm incompetent, I'd probably get the two week's or so pay and the holiday pay owed to someone being let go. I certainly wouldn't get two year's salary. Not unless I was at least a CEO.....
Whether you were a CEO or a tea-boy and were being let go by your employer, you would get paid whatever is due on termination of employment according to the terms and conditions of your contract of employment. That is the law and that is what Staunton got, nothing more, nothing less.

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 10:12 PM
If I was offered the Ireland job I would turn it down as I am not qualified for the job and I would probably make a mess of it. Staunton should have done the same as he should have known he was not qualified for it. But anyone I have since stop caring about him since he was gone. We have moved on and gone from the worst manager in the world to one of the best.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 10:24 AM
If I was offered the Ireland job I would turn it down as I am not qualified for the job and I would probably make a mess of it. Staunton should have done the same as he should have known he was not qualified for it. But anyone I have since stop caring about him since he was gone. We have moved on and gone from the worst manager in the world to one of the best.

As far as I am aware, you didn't play 100 times for your country and have a career in the top flight stretching many years. I don't believe for a minute that he "should have known" he wasn't up to the job, especially since he had Bobby Robson as his side-kick. He worked under numerous managers and would have gained lots of experience as a result.

As it happens he was hopeless but to compare your position with his is an invideous comparison unless you're Ray Houghton or Paul McGrath in disguise. Some inexperienced managers work out. Some flounder. We got the latter.

youngirish
18/02/2008, 10:44 AM
I loved Staunton's comment when he was asked about his appointment as Leeds assistant manager in Division 1 (yes that's the English third tier) under the similarly inexperienced and inept Gary McAllister. Didn't he say it was a great opportunity to learn the ropes? What a muppet. And this is the man who thought he was capable of managing Ireland at the highest level of football?

A gobsh*te of the highest order. I lost all respect for him when I had to endure his almost comical mismanagment of our team for the best part of two years. His gross misconduct also earned him a multi- million euro payout which he gladly took so he desevers all the abuse he gets.

As for your point Owlsfan about taking jobs that we aren't up to the task of doing and accepting a payout when we were fired. Personally it never has happenned but if it did yes I probably would take the job and the money but I wouldn't expect everybody who my sh*t performance in the job affected to say the sun shined out of my ar*e afterwards. Also I'm not a multi-millionaire so your analogy doesn't count.

Deckydee
18/02/2008, 11:42 AM
"My tears gone cold Im wondering why..........."

:D

Deckydee
18/02/2008, 11:47 AM
I loved Staunton's comment when he was asked about his appointment as Leeds assistant manager in Division 1 (yes that's the English third tier) under the similarly inexperienced and inept Gary McAllister. Didn't he say it was a great opportunity to learn the ropes? What a muppet. And this is the man who thought he was capable of managing Ireland at the highest level of football?

A gobsh*te of the highest order. I lost all respect for him when I had to endure his almost comical mismanagment of our team for the best part of two years. His gross misconduct also earned him a multi- million euro payout which he gladly took so he desevers all the abuse he gets.

As for your point Owlsfan about taking jobs that we aren't up to the task of doing and accepting a payout when we were fired. Personally it never has happenned but if it did yes I probably would take the job and the money but I wouldn't expect everybody who my sh*t performance in the job affected to say the sun shined out of my ar*e afterwards. Also I'm not a multi-millionaire so your analogy doesn't count.

Ouch!

Wolfie
18/02/2008, 12:22 PM
You didn't. You said:

... which I took as referring to the comments preceding that, mine among them. That's not unreasonable. It's certainly not paranoid.

For the record, I disagree with you, not least on your use of the word cowardly. By all means though, explain how retaining negative feelings towards him at this stage is

I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Just back on the site now since Friday. Appears to have been a misunderstanding, John83.

I was in no way referring to your specific comments preceding my own on this thread - I'd have quoted them if I was going to debate them.

I respect anyones contention to disagree with me, particularly on the likes of this site where different opinions are crucial in keeping a thread interesting and providing food for thought.

An example of the type of cowardice I was referring to was the Tabloid press turning up at the training ground dressed as muppets etc etc. I should have been more specific in my own comments.

John83
18/02/2008, 1:10 PM
... Appears to have been a misunderstanding, John83...
Cleared up so. Sorry for bothering you!

Superhoops, it's not about legalities, it's about fairness. Show me the tea-boy who gets a 4-year guaranteed salary.

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 2:25 PM

Said in the context of seeing how a club is run from the inside. Easy to quote someone out of context.

A gobsh*te of the highest order. I lost all respect for him when I had to endure his almost comical mismanagment of our team for the best part of two years. His gross misconduct also earned him a multi- million euro payout which he gladly took so he desevers all the abuse he gets.?

So any failed Irish manager is a "gobsh*te even if he was one of the greatest servants to Irish football ever on the field. Do you think he deliberately failed as the manager?

I wouldn't expect anyone to say the sun shone out of your nether regions in such circumstances but if you had been one of the greatest servants of the company while working at a lower level and helped to bring great joys to thousands, I wouldn't expect that part of your contribution to be forgotton.

The mistake as I said at the time was the FAI's fault for giving a novice manager a 4 year contract.

jmurphyc
18/02/2008, 3:07 PM
So any failed Irish manager is a "gobsh*te even if he was one of the greatest servants to Irish football ever on the field. Do you think he deliberately failed as the manager?

Whilst I don't think Staunton should be ridiculed or thought of as a total ****, he hasn't exactly endeared himself to me or many others with the sh*t that he came out with whilst in the job and he still seems to be talking **** about how he was screwed over even now.

The mistake as I said at the time was the FAI's fault for giving a novice manager a 4 year contract.

Agreed. I think it's completely JD's fault for giving him such a long contract when it was clear that it might not work out. Thankfully, the FAI have seemingly learned their lesson.